Thaksin: No Political Changes Until 2009

george

PM: No political changes until 2009

BANGKOK: -- There will be no political change in Thailand until the next general election scheduled in 2009, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra told a gathering of business leaders on Wednesday.

"Businessmen don't need to worry about politics," said Thaksin, addressing 480 leading Thai and foreign business executives at Government House.

"There will not be an election until April, 2009," promised the prime minister, brushing off rumours of coups and the need for a snap election in the face of growing dissatisfaction with Thaksin's rule.

"Only I can dissolve Parliament and I'm not going to," said Thaksin.

The prime minister, known for his CEO style of governance, also assured the audience that Thailand had nothing to worry about on the economic front in 2006.

"I am confident that this year the economy will face no problems, and whatever happens, we can cope with it," said Thaksin.

He expects Thailand's gross domestic product (GDP) would grow at least 5 per cent in 2006, compared with 4.7 per cent last year, with this year's exports expected to jump 17 per cent to reach about US$107 billion.

He promises a host of economic reforms, programs and projects aimed at increasing gross domestic product, boosting exports and increasing consumer spending at home.

--The Nation 2006-01-11