Google Nexus7 Tablet / Review Cnet.Com

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very limited memory, not expandable.

Also Google tend to do one production run of a product, then never restock, so you buy as is with no hope of firmware updates.

Their products seem to be more attempts at market manipulation for Android, than serious products.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

The lack of a card slot / expandable memory would be a serious consideration / deal breaker for me. 8 or 16 GB really isn't enough if you like to watch movies and TV shows.

Also noticably missing is any kind of mobile connectivity. No 3G. As such you will be limited to using it in a Wi-Fi "Hot Spot" only. Another potential deal breaker. It wouldn't make a good travelling companion for this reason, and the lack of storage space would limit the number of movies / media that you would have to pre-load before you left home.

However, the rest of the specs look good- for the $200 price point in the review. If your plans are primarily for using it at home as a movie watcher and e-book reader, it could be a good machine. I like that it is made by Asus, which has been my brand of choice for years. Ithink it would make a great set of "training wheels" for an Android newbie, but that you would probably be looking for more features / mobility and want to upgrade after about a year.

Have you seen it available in Thailand? Where? How much? I already have a pretty good phone so f it is cheap enough, I'd consider having one for using at home as a reader and movie watcher. Ms. Bino dominates the television with her Thai crap, so I find myself plugging in to the earphones and watching a lot of streaming media on my phone. The larger screen would be nicer for watching and reading.

If this is going to be your primary machine / travelling companion, I think a Samsung Tab with seven inch screen that has 3G and expandable memory would offer more flexibility, connectivity, and ultimately be a better choice, albeit a more expensive one.

Edited by bino

Also Google tend to do one production run of a product, then never restock, so you buy as is with no hope of firmware updates.

Their products seem to be more attempts at market manipulation for Android, than serious products.

Ufff, that is a tough statement. How can google try to take Ipad on, apparently with some rather advanced technology and no do product care or no plan for the next step? Doesn`t make much sense

Ufff, that is a tough statement. How can google try to take Ipad on, apparently with some rather advanced technology and no do product care or no plan for the next step? Doesn`t make much sense

They don't care about Ipad, they are manipulating the prices of rival Android manufacturers.

If you sell yours for $200 ..... everyone else follows.

It's not rocket science.

Google bought Motorola Mobility a while ago. I think the current Nexus series is no longer a promotion deal, but a genuine effort. Time will tell. I do prefer Samsung's Galaxy series, though. Sony's got some interesting Android tabs as well.

• Like 1

199 usd is a great price for such a moderm device

there is no way they could have made it "fully loaded " for that price though

its good idea to get more people onto android who dont have unlimited cash

for the ipad 3

should sell loads of them in chin ,india and some asian countries where cost

will be major factor

Edited by wana

Stock Google branded devices like the Nexus One were usually the first to get the updates (manufacturers that customise the UI are usually much slower to follow). The Nexus One was updated multiple times, until its hardware just wasn't up to it any more.

Lack of a micro SD card is cheap and annoying. But for this price I could learn to live with it.

• Like 1

Hi,

This quality tablet seems perfect for my home and daily trips usage.

The question now is: where and when will it be available in Thailand?

As far as I know we don't have access to GooglePlay here.

That is Google Play "Store for Apps", but try that from Thailand :

https://play.google....?id=nexus_7_8gb

Sorry! Devices on Google Play is not available in your country yet.

We're working to bring devices to more countries as quickly as possible.

Please check back again soon.

So where ? and when ?

Heard that India should get it in October

No micro SD slot, but it does have a micro USB connector.

A USB OTG cable should allow you to connect a USB stick and playback from the USB stick.

This would be adequate for media storage whilst travelling. Plus as a "budget" device, OTG cables are a couple of bucks and everyone already has USB sticks. Saves having to shell out extra for a micro SD card.

• Like 1

No micro SD slot, but it does have a micro USB connector.

A USB OTG cable should allow you to connect a USB stick and playback from the USB stick.

This would be adequate for media storage whilst travelling. Plus as a "budget" device, OTG cables are a couple of bucks and everyone already has USB sticks. Saves having to shell out extra for a micro SD card.

Exactly that must have been Google´s thinking. I guess 340gr is about the weight of a pocket book, most comfortably to hold. Size, weight and price plus top quality , I think that is a winner appealing to the broad masses.

Edited by THAIPHUKET

The Nexus 7 is a media tablet rather than a traditional tablet. It is aimed at a different market, price-point and application set. This product really pressures the Kindle Fire from above. This is really just a further fragmentation of the tablet market. We want to try and pigeon-hole every new product but you really have to think outside the box to fully comprehend this product. It almost assumes constant, broadband connectivity with streaming media, and storage required just for those brief times when you are not connected. If you need USB, massive storage, 3G et al, then a traditional tablet is better for you.

Hi,

This quality tablet seems perfect for my home and daily trips usage.

The question now is: where and when will it be available in Thailand?

As far as I know we don't have access to GooglePlay here.

I am not certain there is a market for this new style tablet here in Thailand, barring perhaps the education segment ;). Maybe in a few years? The price point may not make the grey-market efforts worthwhile?

We have had access to the Play Store (nee Android Market) here in Thailand for both free and paid applications for quite a long time now. Perhaps you have some configuration issues? http://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138294

Will be interesting to see, how things play out, if the Thai market is really that different. CNET said today=

With a beautiful screen, fast performance, a comfortable design, and overall great media options, the Google Nexus 7 is easily the best 7-inch tablet available and one of the top tablets on the market. We gave it an Editors' Choice award. http://tinyurl.com/88vbjgy

• Like 1

Will be interesting to see, how things play out, if the Thai market is really that different.

I failed to elaborate on my statements...Google does not have a local selling/service/support presence here, relying on service providers for most sales and the local Samsung subsidiary for warranty service/repair, on the Nexus phone models to date. Since this new tablet does not have 3G it is unlikely that a service provider will endeavor to sell it. wink.png Perhaps Google could get ASUS to localize the product, promote and market it, manage the sales channels and provide warranty service/support/repair? Perhaps unlikely given the relatively low margin one would expect? And you're up against the Chinese tablets. I think if you want a Nexus 7 you should source it in the U.S.?

Edited by lomatopo

Lomatopo, good observation. Speaking for myself, I wouldn´t care much about guarantee etc as long as updates can be done on line. I don´t want permanent accessibility. Something like a good reader of newspapers /books plus some other functions is just right for my purposes

Re: Sourcing in the US, I never mail ordered anything here. Is it doable, advisable? Experience?

Lomatopo, good observation. Speaking for myself, I wouldn´t care much about guarantee etc as long as updates can be done on line. I don´t want permanent accessibility. Something like a good reader of newspapers /books plus some other functions is just right for my purposes

Re: Sourcing in the US, I never mail ordered anything here. Is it doable, advisable? Experience?

I just get pals to bring them over ...... Loads of Americans fly over for the winter.

I am not certain there is a market for this new style tablet here in Thailand, barring perhaps the education segment ;)

Why not? I don't see it for education. Too small. It's more a device to be used at home or daily trips. IT shops already sell huge number of tablets in Thailand, from Cube or "no name" Chinese table at 3,000 baht to iPad at 10 times this price. I bet there is a market for this nice small device in every country :)

We have had access to the Play Store (nee Android Market) here in Thailand for both free and paid applications for quite a long time now.

No. As I said before, you only have access to the "Store for Apps" part,

you don't have access by exemple at the "Store for Devices" part. See message #12

Sorry! Devices on Google Play is not available in your country yet.

We're working to bring devices to more countries as quickly as possible.

Please check back again soon.

Ok- fair enough- you weren't clear about the Google Device thing in your original post.

However, I fail to see the problem. The Play Store for Apps would work and deliver all of the apps you need, no? What will be different about a device specific store? Being able to update your device firmware? I can do that now for my Samsung device with Kies, and friends who have Motorola Xoom and Asus Transformer tablets get their updates directly in the Settings / About Phone of their devices.

Edited by bino

However, I fail to see the problem.

The smaller version of Nexus 7 (8 Gb, $199) is sold only by Google and only online via Google Play: here is the problem...

The version of Nexus yous can pre-order in online shops in USA, UK or Australia are the 16 Gb version at $249... or a lot of more :(

I am not certain there is a market for this new style tablet here in Thailand, barring perhaps the education segment wink.png

Why not? I don't see it for education. Too small. It's more a device to be used at home or daily trips. IT shops already sell huge number of tablets in Thailand, from Cube or "no name" Chinese table at 3,000 baht to iPad at 10 times this price. I bet there is a market for this nice small device in every country smile.png

We have had access to the Play Store (nee Android Market) here in Thailand for both free and paid applications for quite a long time now.

No. As I said before, you only have access to the "Store for Apps" part,

you don't have access by exemple at the "Store for Devices" part. See message #12

While I have no doubt there is a market here for 3,000 baht tablets I'm not sure Google has identified Thailand as a country which warrants the ramp-up costs, at this time.

Now I understand your posts about accessing the Play Store. Yes, it is true that you cannot buy some devices, like the Samsung Galaxy Nexus (OK, you can't even buy this in the U.S. now ;) ) and this new tablet, from Thailand unless you use a VPN, and re-shipper (shipitto). Note that Google does charge U.S. States sales tax and shipping. Obviously this just reinforces my point about Google not wanting to market this product in Thailand. It would have to be imported,taxed/uplifted, localized, marketed, sold, serviced, replacement parts stocked, people trained, et al. All of these activities are costs, and are typically assumed by a local subsidiary or channel partner. I think Google does have a local sub. here now but I think they are focused on other activities. And there may not be enough margin for a channel partner to jump in. Yes, there will be grey-market imports, for sure. By sourcing in the U.S. I meant, more or less, having a friend bring one over for you. I return to the U.S. ~ 6 times each year, and am currently there now, so I bring a lot of gear back with me for friends, colleagues and relatives. I was considering a getting an SGN this trip but went with a used SGS2.

lomatopo, sorry I understand next to nothing about the technicalities. But I am always keen to take good advise.

What would you buy for yourself assuming it should be around that size and not much more weight, compfy to hold for extended times. It costs what it costs.

lomatopo, sorry I understand next to nothing about the technicalities. But I am always keen to take good advise.

What would you buy for yourself assuming it should be around that size and not much more weight, compfy to hold for extended times. It costs what it costs.

I think you need to give people some information re:: your budget, size, OS, applications, 3G, USB, memory, screen res. etc. etc.

There have been any number of threads here re: tablets.

Without a lot more detail or understanding of your individual requirements I guess I'd suggest one of the ~ 6,000 baht Chinese tablets: Ainol, G-Pad, et. al.

If the Google Nexus 7 looks good to you, and by all accounts it sounds pretty impressive, then just have someone hand-carry a unit back for you.

Edited by lomatopo

i think for $200 you can not go wrong!

If money is no object, then go for ipad or samsung's top range

but really for $200, can not complain and you do get quite a bit with that.