Google Nexus7 Tablet / Review Cnet.Com

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like it is 'pre-orderable', available in 2 ~ 3 weeks...

not if you in Thailand sad.png

Correct, as covered in several posts in this thread. If you want one maybe best to have a friend order it and reship it or hand-carry it.

I am currently in the U.S. so have access to the 'device' section of the Play Store.

You don't need 3G as you can connnect through your mobile phone hotspot (who really wants a new SIM card again in his tab ?)

Bue true that 16go memory card is a bit short, less than 20 movies.

You don't need 3G as you can connnect through your mobile phone hotspot (who really wants a new SIM card again in his tab ?)

Who wants to carry a phone and a tablet, when you can just use the tablet for everything.

It's a funny thing but for the American market they strip the 3G out of the tablets ... (ASUS/Samsung)

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Who wants to carry a phone and a tablet, when you can just use the tablet for everything.

It's a funny thing but for the American market they strip the 3G out of the tablets ... (ASUS/Samsung)

To date (most) tablets, even if 3G equipped, have not had the necessary telephony features so one would have to carry both if making/receiving phone calls was a requirement.

I think in the U.S. most tablets are available with a mobile broadband option subsidized by the service providers, but a lot do get purchased in WiFi-only versions. I suspect that they get used in locations: home, school, work, public, where WiFi is generally available?

To date (most) tablets, even if 3G equipped, have not had the necessary telephony features so one would have to carry both if making/receiving phone calls was a requirement.

Outside the US, all the standard Galaxy Tab series work as mobile phones.

(in Thailand that's all they sell)

Outside the US, all the standard Galaxy Tab series work as mobile phones.

(in Thailand that's all they sell)

I do not believe your understanding is accurate.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in WiFi only (GT-P7510) and Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 with WiFi + 3G (GT-7500) are both sold here in Thailand, and pretty much everywhere. Neither supports GSM voice.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 in WiFi only (GT-P7310) and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 with WiFi + 3G (GT-P7300) are both sold here in Thailand, and pretty much everywhere. Neither supports GSM voice.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (GT-P6200) does support GSM voice.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 Plus with WiFi + 3G (GT-P6800) does support GSM voice.

Some of the older, first generation Tabs, like the P1000, did support GSM voice.

I believe the Tab 2 versions do support GSM voice.

Obviously the IPad/3G models do not support GSM voice.

Edited by lomatopo

do not believe your understanding is accurate.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in WiFi only (GT-P7510) and Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 with WiFi + 3G (GT-7500) are both sold here in Thailand, and pretty much everywhere. Neither supports GSM voice.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 in WiFi only (GT-P7310) and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 with WiFi + 3G (GT-P7300) are both sold here in Thailand, and pretty much everywhere. Neither supports GSM voice.

According to this the tab 2 10.1 makes calls (Item 5)

http://www.samsung.c....html?type=find

Go into any Bic C, Samsung store, Robinsons, etc. They all only sell the 3g version at 15.9kbht

I was at several shops today, Phone dialer is on the main (up arrow) menu.

Not seen the wi-fi only version available in any store.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

And another Thai review

Samsung's Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 can be your "giant phone". The first 10.1-inch tablet computer I've tested even comes with a voice-call function. And it's more affordable at Bt16,000, compared to the Bt19,000 Tab 10.1.

A shortcut on the home screen brings up the phone-call screen with a number pad so you can make a call just like on a real phone.

The same application lets you create an automatic rejection list to spurn unwanted calls, storing numbers you enter, and make Internet phone calls based on your account details.

I tried it out on TrueMove and made a voice call with good audio quality, as heard over the built-in speakers, a Bluetooth headset or the wired headset that comes with the Tab.

To avoid confusion the Tab 2 10.1 supports 3G connections via all of Thailand's mobile-phone operators.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

According to this the tab 2 10.1 makes calls (Item 5)

Go into any Bic C, Samsung store, Robinsons, etc. They all only sell the 3g version at 15.9kbht

I was at several shops today, Phone dialer is on the main (up arrow) menu.

Not seen the wi-fi only version available in any store.

Yes, as I said in my post above, "I believe the Tab 2 versions do support GSM voice". The Tab 2's are fairly new, and yes the GT-P5100 (Tab 2 10.1. WiFi + 3G) does support GSM voice. And just to reiterate, most tablets to date, even those with 3G, have not supported GSM voice. I don't want someone to go out and buy a Tab 10.1/Tab 8.9 then get surprised when it won't function as a telephone.

I've got the old 7" Samsung Tab that works as a phone. From experience I can say it's way, way too cumbersome to use it even with a bluetooth headset. Now I carry a small Sony-Ericsson Xperia Mini and the 10.1 Samsung Tab if I need it. The mini works as a wifi hotspot and is very handy as a mobile phone.

The Google Nexus 7 tablet has received very good reviews from a variety of sources in the U.S. thus far. As noted above, its main perceived limitations seem to be the lack of any SD card expansion, no 3G option, and what some reviewers have called a somewhat less than brilliant (but still very good) screen.

With the 8 GB version selling for $199 and the 16 GB version for $249, the Nexus 7 has widely been called the best budget tablet on the market at present and far and away a better hardware package than the Amazon Kindle Fire tablet. The Nexus has a higher resolution screen than the Fire, a front facing camera for video chat unlike the Kindle, and access to the Google Play app market.

Because the Nexus 7 is being sold and supported directly by Google (and no mobile carriers and their OS skins are involved), it's already coming with the latest Android Jelly Bean OS and is expected to receive timely over-the-air OS updates direct from Google.

On the horizon, HTC reportedly is planning to soon bring out a similar tablet to the Nexus 7. And there were various media reports this past week that Amazon is planning several new, updated versions of the Kindle Fire (Fire 2) by the end of the year, likely including several larger screen sizes and resolutions, and possibly a combined wifi/3G model as well.

As for buying a Nexus 7 online in/from the U.S., there's no reason such a piece of hardware (relatively small and light) can't be reshipped from the U.S. to Thailand through various means, such as Shipito.com or various other means. The only constraints might be a] the potential for uncertain taxes/duties by Thai customs and b] some recent restrictions that the U.S.P.S. placed on airmail shipments of packages/items including lithium ion batteries (due to their periodic overheating/fire problems). But the later issue should be resolvable by using other international courier services. And last I heard, the U.S.P.S. was supposed to be working to resolve that restriction in the coming months.

I think in the U.S. most tablets are available with a mobile broadband option subsidized by the service providers, but a lot do get purchased in WiFi-only versions. I suspect that they get used in locations: home, school, work, public, where WiFi is generally available?

Asus eee pad meme

sent from my Wellcom A90+

I have the Nexus 7 (see below). I'm still messing around with it so I can write a review. So far, I love it. I got it the morning they were released, as I pre-ordered it from GameStop to guarantee I got it ASAP.

It's WiFi only because it's meant to compete with the Kindle Fire. It is definitely on the top of 7in tablets regarding hardware. Its downfall of lacking a card slot is irrelevant because its intended use is with Google Play, which streams TV and movies, not downloads them. A rear-facing camera is also nonessential. Do you know how goofy people look when they take pictures with a tablet? Especially a 10 incher! So far I have only downloaded a couple games. Graphics are amazing.

In the US, free WiFi hotspots are super common, so it makes more sense over here. I'm not sure about availability in Thailand, however I will most likely be bringing one to my friend when I come to CM in a couple weeks (if they're in stock when he orders it). If you want an relatively inexpensive 7in tablet with card slot and 3g capabilities, then I'd go with the Samsung. Also, I think Acer has a similar device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect App

Re the Nexus 7, as I've been reading up on it... I kept looking for the answer to a pretty important question... and couldn't find it addressed in many many reviews until today.

That question was...for someone planning to buy the less expensive 8 GB model, after subtracting out the Android OS and preloaded apps and other supporting content, just how much of the 8 GB disk is available for user apps and other content.

According to one news report on that I read today after a lot of searching/reading, the available user data space is just a bit over 5 GB.... And that could disappear pretty fast depending on how one uses the tablet.

Even if I was using the tablet to stream content from Google as the prior poster mentioned, and I do use Google content in that way, that doesn't mean I also wouldn't be looking to store various kinds of content on my tablet's disk: music and video files for when wifi is not available such as when traveling, podcasts and other content more often stored than streamed, lots of apps (at last count my Android phone has something like 70 installed, etc etc...

Sure, I probably could get by with the 8 GB/5 GB store limits on the Nexus 7. But if I'm going to buy a high spec fancy new tablet and spend $200+, I don't want to be spending all my time shuffling data on and off of a small flash drive from the get-go..

So basically, I came to conclusion that for me, if I was going to be buy, I'd expect to be shelling out the $249 amount for the 16 GB model.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

...just how much of the 8 GB disk is available for user apps and other content.

According to one news report on that I read today after a lot of searching/reading, the available user data space is just a bit over 5 GB....

So basically, I came to conclusion that for me, if I was going to be buy, I'd expect to be shelling out the $249 amount for the 16 GB model.

I have the 16 GB, and it had a little over 13 GB open. I think that $50 is a small amount to more than double your actual space, hence I got it.

As far as the screen is concerned, it is plenty bright, super clear, awesome resolution. Although I haven't compared it to the new iPad, I think I would be comparing apples and androids, er, oranges.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect App

May I change the focus to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. Is has been said that components are stripped out in the US so that no phone calls are possible.

If, however, the Galaxy is bought in Germany then phone calls are

no problem. Not that I want really want to telephone with a board in my face.

But can I surf the net without a hotspot? In the US as well as in Germany with a US/German Sim card?

I believe the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is wifi only...

But as for the broader issues, I find myself a little confused on the subject of making real mobile network (as opposed to data network) phone calls with a 3G equipped tablet.

I actually bought online a 3G capable 7 inch tablet the other day...haven't received it yet...

But as I read the specs closely, it said the following: yes, the tablet had 3G capability and a slot for a SIM card, meaning you could use your 3G SIM card in it, and can make a DATA connection via 3G. BUT, it also specifically said you couldn't make VOICE calls via the 3G network using the tablet.

You could, however, make voice calls with the tablet via either the Wifi or 3G DATA networks using apps such as Skype, Viber, GrooveIP, etc etc...

So basically, I can use it to make phone calls via data apps. And I can use the 3G data capability of my 3G SIM card and account. But people can't make phone calls to me via the regular phone number associated with that SIM card... At least, that's the way I think I understand the outcome.

If the tablet were Wifi only, then everything I said above would still be true... but I'd only have a data connection when in range of Wifi... not via my 3G plan's mobile data network.

Sorry, but my little brain is overcharged by these technicalities. I guess the answer to my question is somewhere hidden in above replies=

Galaxy 2 Tab functions for internet connections via phone lines in Europe and the USA provided the correct Sim card is used?????????????

Any special US Sim card for internet usage needed?

Sammy, yes... Samsung, which manufactures tablets for sales worldwide, makes a 3G plus Wifi version of the Tab 2...along with a Wifi only version.

But the common U.S. version, as sold on Amazon, is Wifi only...

http://www.amazon.co...alaxy tab 2 7.0

What's marketed and sold in the U.S. isn't necessarily the same as what's sold elsewhere in the world.

In looking at the AT&T mobile website, they're not even offering any Tab 2 7 inch tablet. Neither is Verizon nor T-Mobile as best as I can see.

Likewise, Samsung USA's web site appears to list only a Wifi version of the Tab 2 7 inch...

http://www.samsung.c...ab/all-products

The international version of the Tab 2 7 inch with 3G and wifi appears to be their GT-P3100 model. But note its GSM 3G bands are 900 and 2100... which aren't U.S. friendly.

http://www.gsmarena...._p3100-4543.php

The Wifi only version appears to be the GT-P3113.

May I change the focus to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. Is has been said that components are stripped out in the US so that no phone calls are possible.

If, however, the Galaxy is bought in Germany then phone calls are

no problem. Not that I want really want to telephone with a board in my face.

But can I surf the net without a hotspot? In the US as well as in Germany with a US/German Sim card?

Now having looked further, as I noted above, the official U.S. version of the Tab 2 7 inch appears to be Wifi only (although people in the U.S. can buy the different 3G international version from various online resellers).

But if you have a version of the Tab 2 7 inch bought internationally, such as Germany, and it's the GT-P3100 model I mentioned above, that the device is CAPABLE of being used for phone calls, depending on what SIM card you're using and in what location, as well as using its 3G for data services.

The GSM Arena website says the international version support the following frequencies: General 2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 3G Network HSDPA 900 / 2100

So that means you could make voice calls via most/any GSM carrier in the U.S. such as AT&T... since the tablet covers the normal 2G voice calling bands used for GSM.

But I'm not sure whose 3G DATA networks in the U.S. are compatible with a 900/2100 3G device for data services. In looking on Wikipedia, all the major U.S. GSM carriers appear to be using other 3G bands such as 850, 1700 and 1900.

If you follow the link posted above by sammycic to the Samsung website, and go to the specifications, you will see HSPA+ network connectivity.

HSPA+ is the 3G data connection. It appears to be capable of 850, 900, 1900 and 2100. To be able to use the internet in the US or anywhere, you would need a SIM card from an ISP that supports one of these frequencies.

There are no GSM specs listed in on the Samsung website, but this site shows that it is cabable of GSM 850, 900, 1800 and 1900. As above, you would need to ensure that a provider in the places you want to visit support one of these in order to use the device as a telephone - make and take telephone calls.

Fortunately, these frequencies for data and GSM pretty much cover every possibility. A bit of creative google searching would provide answers about what service providers and frequencies are available in the cities you plan to visit.

Bino, the GSM Arena website says the 3G GSM version is only capable of 900 and 2100 3G...

But the Samsung International website lists 4 different 3G frequency bands, but isn't specific as to a particular model of the tablet.

So the real question comes down to what exact version ThaiPhuket has or is planning to use.

The voice calling aspect, assuming he's using a compatible SIM in the U.S., shouldn't be a problem.

The ability to use 3G data services there depends on what 3G bands his own tablet will support.