What Food Do You Miss The Most In Thailand And Crave?

Lemon curd, Tate & Lyle's Golden syrup, fish cakes and fish fingers that don't cost an arm and a leg, (there's a joke in there somewhere !), Fisherman's Pies, Ainsley Harriott Shropshire pea cup-a-soup,

Proper pot noodles, like wot they sell in the UK.

Lemon curd is SOOOO easy to make :) Butter eggs sugar and lemons (or limes)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss Taco Bell... I miss people with abrain

but, yeah...you got the right spirit; if you can't find what you like then check the local ingredients and make it yerself!

I could kick meself as I have all the ingredients for pizza and an oven but never got around to making it and now I'm leaving fer work for 2 years in the Middle East...a thread on pizza crust would get a lot of response on thaivisa...

Lemon curd, Tate & Lyle's Golden syrup, fish cakes and fish fingers that don't cost an arm and a leg, (there's a joke in there somewhere !), Fisherman's Pies, Ainsley Harriott Shropshire pea cup-a-soup,

Proper pot noodles, like wot they sell in the UK.

MrMuddle, I also wish I could buy lemon curd here in Thailand. You can get Fish fingers at Villa, but like I said, that place is well avoided, their prices are well over the top at times.

I would love some all beef hotdogs

There is a German butcher in Chiang Mai named Gunther who makes excellent all beef hotdogs from a recipe he got from the Duke's in Chiang Mai. He sells them to restaurants and to the public, but I do not know if he ships them.They are as good as any I can remember back home.

If interested you can buy via David.

I'm interested, but who's David?

post-17168-0-09009900-1348472118_thumb.j

in Thailand i miss...

Real greasy spoon Home fries (not Hash Browns)

longer they sit on the grille the better cook em till they are burnt and crispy..NICE

With a nice Minute steak cooked Rare...impossible to get in Thailand

Or

post-17168-0-76143500-1348472067_thumb.j

Never had good eggs Benedict in Thailand.

in Thailand always ...

frozen English muffins not Thomas's fresh muffins, or toasted French roll..

Always wrong kind of ham/bacon (need Canadian)

but worst of all The Hollandaise sauce taste like CREAM SALAD because it is cream salad....

but the Blody Marys taste pretty good..

Edited by glassdude007

I would love some all beef hotdogs

There is a German butcher in Chiang Mai named Gunther who makes excellent all beef hotdogs from a recipe he got from the Duke's in Chiang Mai. He sells them to restaurants and to the public, but I do not know if he ships them.They are as good as any I can remember back home.

If interested you can buy via David.

I'm interested, but who's David?

The owner of the Duke's.

Lemon curd isn't hard to make - lime curd is nice for a change. Tate & Lyal Golden & Black in Tops CM Airport plaza last week

Sent from my Shoe Phone

I replied from my tablet and the heel fell off. In answer to someone wanting lemon curd and Golden Syrup.

Ewwwww. You heat them up? Thst is too disgusting for words. Cold, fair enough, but hot? For breakfast? Ewwwwww

Sent from my Shoe Phone

I replied from my tablet and the heel fell off. This was in reply to the disgusting idea of putting last night's kebab in the microwave. No, no, no. They're actually not too bad cold, depends how much garlic sauce was left on it.

Proper breakfast, meaning AMERICAN breakfast, comprising a ham steak (gammon), eggs over medium, and, the most elusive of all in Asia, decent home fried potatoes, choice of toast (real bread), and bottomless cup o' joe.. Most of what is served as Western food in Asia is unrecognizable as food of any description.

Exception: Coolabah in SIhanoukville, Cambodia has the real deal.

Additional items would be Kosher beef hotdogs/knackwurst, decent rye bread, pastrami, corned beef.

And of course, Mexican food, San Diego style.

I am calling fraud here. No Americans that I know of ever use the term 'proper' to describe American things.

Proper breakfast, meaning AMERICAN breakfast, comprising a ham steak (gammon), eggs over medium, and, the most elusive of all in Asia, decent home fried potatoes, choice of toast (real bread), and bottomless cup o' joe.. Most of what is served as Western food in Asia is unrecognizable as food of any description.

Exception: Coolabah in SIhanoukville, Cambodia has the real deal.

Additional items would be Kosher beef hotdogs/knackwurst, decent rye bread, pastrami, corned beef.

And of course, Mexican food, San Diego style.

I am calling fraud here. No Americans that I know of ever use the term 'proper' to describe American things.

I wouldn't make those kinds of assumptions. Living over here many of us Crank Yankers may adopt British usage as it is more common here. For example the other day I started to write "root"w00t.gif for my team but wrote "support" my team instead, which is not usually something an American would say. BTW, Americans wouldn't normally say GAMMON either. Edited by Jingthing

• 3 weeks later...

Tex-Mex, the real stuff (and please do not tell me it is here because it isn't here). Also, I am starving for: Philly Cheese steak sandwich; smoked BBQ (like in the southern States of the USA); Italian subs (not the crap that is made here); Gyro sandwich; and American-Chinese food (no, not that dumpling crap).

tobacco to roll cigarettes, like "samson" or "drum"...

breadrolls, or normal bread, maybe with grains, that doesnt taste like cardboard, yoghurt which isnt sweetened or whatever is in it, even if it says its plain yoghurt... cheese from the roll, sliced, like edam, butter cheese... croissants, which taste like croissants, not just look so...

and yes, wheat-noodles, like spaghetti - it just doesnt taste, and you have to order three portions to get full...

Please forgive not reading 20 pages to see if this has already been done.

There is an extensive tobacconist on the Khao San. Probably my only reason for visiting. Find the Reggae Bar then head to KSR. As you exit the side Soi it is on the right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the distinction JT...I thought you meant fried sliced potatoes.

My preference would be served with garlic and cream sauce...and a touch of cheese bubbled in the oven.

Actually American breakfast potatoes (hash browned, whatever) are several styles but they all have one thing in common. They are made from real boiled potatoes which are cooled, usually peeled, and then fried in one of several choices of grease. Bacon grease, butter... They might be grated as above, or sliced, or diced or... In the South and some restaurants all over the country some give a choice of "regular" or what some call any one of several things but they have at least onion and maybe bell pepper pieces added before frying.

A big mistake is to not know to boil them to fully cooked first. If not, they never get fully done and tender in the frying pan and feel and taste a bit raw, yuck. You know a boiled potato is done when you can easily stick a fork in and out of it.

Thanks for the distinction JT...I thought you meant fried sliced potatoes.

My preference would be served with garlic and cream sauce...and a touch of cheese bubbled in the oven.

Actually American breakfast potatoes (hash browned, whatever) are several styles but they all have one thing in common. They are made from real boiled potatoes which are cooled, usually peeled, and then fried in one of several choices of grease. Bacon grease, butter... They might be grated as above, or sliced, or diced or... In the South and some restaurants all over the country some give a choice of "regular" or what some call any one of several things but they have at least onion and maybe bell pepper pieces added before frying.

A big mistake is to not know to boil them to fully cooked first. If not, they never get fully done and tender in the frying pan and feel and taste a bit raw, yuck. You know a boiled potato is done when you can easily stick a fork in and out of it.

Actually they are better if you bake the potato instead of boiling it. Like them best fried with onions or a "breakfast fry"! Mash potatos are also better if you use baked potatos. Scoop the hot potato out and mash it the use the skins for "stuffed potato skins".

• Like 1

I really miss a good jewish deli sandwch. Hot pastrami or hot corned beef on good rye, good cream cheese and lox on a bagel, chopped chicken liverand onion, matzo ball soup, knishes, knochwurst, beef tongue, blintzes, real kosher dill pickles, cheesecake, etc. WOW, I'm really getting hungry!

• 4 weeks later...

Three words.

Bubble. And. Squeak.

I've got a terrible craving for it, just the way my nan used to make it, fried with the dripping from the Sunday roast. I'm going to have to get some veggies and make it tomorrow.

• Like 2

The hot salsa for my carnitas cali tacos at La Monita was too mild the other day.

Luckily normal service was resumed the following day.

Proves they are fresh daily I suppose eh JT? :P

:wub:

Edit: The salsa verde from the salsa bar is rather excellent as well.

Edited by smokie36

Three words.

Bubble. And. Squeak.

I've got a terrible craving for it, just the way my nan used to make it, fried with the dripping from the Sunday roast. I'm going to have to get some veggies and make it tomorrow.

Bacon grease is a good substitute for the dripping off the roast.

Three words.

Bubble. And. Squeak.

I spend long slow hours trying to render bacon fat. Not very successful I have to say. When we go home next year I'll get my mam to show me how to do it properly. It doesn't help that the bacon isn't great. I also on occasion get a very fatty piece of pork, freeze it and grate it whilst it's frozen. Better than oil, but still not dripping or lard; a lot of work for little reward. And I end up with no skin on my fingers.

We have a great baker nearby, trained by a French chef. I spoke to him about lard and and after trying to convince me I could use shortening for anything (not frying eggs or B&S) he wrote something in Thai on a notepad said at the market they would understand. They didn't. Never mind.

The bubble and squeak was really nice by the way. Purposefully bought and cooked veggies rather than leftovers but still good with sausages. licklips.gif

Three words.

Bubble. And. Squeak.

I spend long slow hours trying to render bacon fat. Not very successful I have to say. When we go home next year I'll get my mam to show me how to do it properly. It doesn't help that the bacon isn't great. I also on occasion get a very fatty piece of pork, freeze it and grate it whilst it's frozen. Better than oil, but still not dripping or lard; a lot of work for little reward. And I end up with no skin on my fingers.

We have a great baker nearby, trained by a French chef. I spoke to him about lard and and after trying to convince me I could use shortening for anything (not frying eggs or B&S) he wrote something in Thai on a notepad said at the market they would understand. They didn't. Never mind.

The bubble and squeak was really nice by the way. Purposefully bought and cooked veggies rather than leftovers but still good with sausages. licklips.gif

Easiest way I have found is to cube some pork fat, put it into a bowl and steam it in a rice steamer.

I lived in a little village on the mainland many years ago and they made their own by steaming a pigs head. After cutting off the face and ears they would suspend it above a very large wok of boiling water in the yard. Took all day to do and they had to keep adding water but it worked.

B & S seems to work better when the ingredients are cooked and left in the frigde overnight. It would dry them out somewhat so perhaps that is why. Business down the road does rosti and fried eggs for 80 Baht, pretty good.

Edited by notmyself
  • Like 1

Thanks for that, I hadn't thought of steaming. D'oh! I've been frying it on the lowest heat I can get. It's so obvious I could kick myself.

I will be eternally grateful wai2.gif

I only know because I saw it being done in the village. Had a wonderful time in that village and learned so much during my time there. How to start a fire using just an 18 inch piece of dead bamboo. How to steam rice in a section of green bamboo if you don't have a pan (you do need a sharp knife for that one though. How to throw a castnet.That place changed me, made me a better person.