Traveling Abroad With 4 Months Left On Passport

I think I may have a question that's never been asked here.

I left Thailand heading to the US with 4 months left on my passport. No one said anything at any of the airports I passed through on the way to California.

I have a re-entry permit and a non immigrant visa in my passport which is good until 07/2013. I was intending to get a new passport when I arrive here but time constraints and other conflicting appointments have prevented me from doing so as of today.

Can anyone tell me if I even need to get a new passport at this time since I already have the Non IMO Visa and a re-entry permit? I return on the 20th of the month and have an appointment at the US Embassy in Chiang Mai on the 24th to renew my passport. I would rather do the new passport when I get back because in the US I'd have to pay expediting fees in order to get the new on by the time I leave. Also, if I did get a new passport here, what about transferring my visa and re-entry permit to the new passport? Can I do that when I get back to Thailand or must I do it in the US?

Are there any members of the forum who have any experience with this sort of situation?

I think you'd better get a new passport while in the U.S. You Re-Entry Permit and visa should still be good, just show your old passport.

Note, you can do a Google for: iata thailand passport validity

A bunch of hits pop up, the one of IATA (International Air Transport Association) has a form you can fill in to check.

You should also call your airline and ask them.

Here's what pops up at Delta, says your passport needs to be valid for duration of stay in Thailand:

/ 04JUL12 / 0019 UTC

National USA (US) /Destination Thailand (TH)

Thailand (TH)

Passport required.

- Nationals of USA can enter with passports and/or passport

replacing documents valid for the period of intended stay.

Passport Exemptions:

- Holders of emergency or temporary passports.

Visa required, except for A touristic stay of max. 30 days:

Minors:

- When arriving in, or departing from Thailand, minors aged

under 16 yearsFor details, click here

Additional Information:

- Visitors who are visa exempt are required to hold documents

for their next destination.

- Visitors over 12 years of age are required to hold

sufficient funds to cover their stay (at least THB 10,000.-

per person or THB 20,000.- per family).

For details, click here

- For those who do not require a visaFor details, click here

Warning:

- Visitors who are visa exempt but do not hold return/onward

tickets could be refused entry.

CHECK TINEWS/N1 - EUROPEAN UNION: NAMED CHILDREN IN

PARENTS' PASSPORT OR TRAVEL DOCUMENT

Timaticweb Version 1.3

04 July 2012

Mac

Your posting does not make much sense as there would normally be no need for a re-entry permit with a visa valid until July 2013 (as it would have to be multi entry - each entry a new 90 day stay) and such a visa could not have been issued. And an extension of stay would never be beyond expiration date of the passport it is entered in so even if a new one year extension just obtained it would only be valid until expiration date of passport.

The requirement for entry into Thailand is that your passport cover the allowed entry time so if valid for more than 90 days it would be valid for a non immigrant 90 day entry. It should also be valid for any re-entry permit as that could not be a date beyond expiration of passport.

Edited by lopburi3
add information

Your posting does not make much sense as there would normally be no need for a re-entry permit with a visa valid until July 2013 (as it would have to be multi entry - each entry a new 90 day stay) and such a visa could not have been issued. And an extension of stay would never be beyond expiration date of the passport it is entered in so even if a new one year extension just obtained it would only be valid until expiration date of passport.

The requirement for entry into Thailand is that your passport cover the allowed entry time so if valid for more than 90 days it would be valid for a non immigrant 90 day entry. It should also be valid for any re-entry permit as that could not be a date beyond expiration of passport.

Thanks for the comments.

I did make an important mistake in my original post. I hold a non immigrant B visa not an O. Must be the jet lag has me not thinking too clearly. I did purchase a re-entry permit otherwise I'd have to redo the entire work permit process again. I did not purchase a multi entry visa because I may leave the country twice a year at most making such a visa not worth the cost.

My re-entry permit is valid until November 13, 2012. I am returning to Thailand on the 20th of July. So are you saying that my re-entry permit should be enough for me to re-enter without having to have a new passport?

Thnaks

I think you'd better get a new passport while in the U.S. You Re-Entry Permit and visa should still be good, just show your old passport.

Note, you can do a Google for: iata thailand passport validity

A bunch of hits pop up, the one of IATA (International Air Transport Association) has a form you can fill in to check.

You should also call your airline and ask them.

Here's what pops up at Delta, says your passport needs to be valid for duration of stay in Thailand:

/ 04JUL12 / 0019 UTC

National USA (US) /Destination Thailand (TH)

Thailand (TH)

Passport required.

- Nationals of USA can enter with passports and/or passport

replacing documents valid for the period of intended stay.

Passport Exemptions:

- Holders of emergency or temporary passports.

Visa required, except for A touristic stay of max. 30 days:

Minors:

- When arriving in, or departing from Thailand, minors aged

under 16 yearsFor details, click here

Additional Information:

- Visitors who are visa exempt are required to hold documents

for their next destination.

- Visitors over 12 years of age are required to hold

sufficient funds to cover their stay (at least THB 10,000.-

per person or THB 20,000.- per family).

For details, click here

- For those who do not require a visaFor details, click here

Warning:

- Visitors who are visa exempt but do not hold return/onward

tickets could be refused entry.

CHECK TINEWS/N1 - EUROPEAN UNION: NAMED CHILDREN IN

PARENTS' PASSPORT OR TRAVEL DOCUMENT

Timaticweb Version 1.3

04 July 2012

Mac

Thank you Mac. I'm beginning to think you'r right. New Passport is in order.

You must have an extension of stay not a visa for your re-entry permit to be valid until November. A visa would only be good for a 90 day entry.

You should have no problem entering the country. When you get your new passport you will need to go to immigration and have your extension of stay stamps, visa info and etc. transferred to your new passport.

Edit: What is the expiration date of your passport? I think it is equal to your re-entry permit date.

Edited by ubonjoe

You must have an extension of stay not a visa for your re-entry permit to be valid until November. A visa would only be good for a 90 day entry.

You should have no problem entering the country. When you get your new passport you will need to go to immigration and have your extension of stay stamps, visa info and etc. transferred to your new passport.

Edit: What is the expiration date of your passport? I think it is equal to your re-entry permit date.

Yes. You are correct. I have been receiving an extension of stay for the last 6 years. My passport expires 12 Nov. 2012, but my re-entry is good until the 13th of Nov. 2012.

When you mentioned that I should have no problem getting into the country, are you referring to my returning without a new passport and renewing when I get back to Thailand? Or do you think I need to get a new passport before leaving the US and have the documents transferred when I return?

Thnaks

You can wait and get your passport here since its validity covers your permit to stay when you enter the country..

Okay that's what I was hoping to hear. But now help me out with this hypothetical situation:

I show up at Korean Airlines and the attendant who is in no mood, or too busy to listen says, "Sorry sir, but your passport expires in less than 6 months. We can't let you board." I'll say, "But I already have my re-entry permit which is good until Nov. 13, 2012.

" Attendant: "Sorry sir, but that doesn't make any difference."

What would your response be? How would you handle this situation?

By contacting Korean Air by email today getting their determination on your situation as a reply email and printing it out to show the booking clerk if she/he objects to you not having 6 months validity on you current passport. QED

I called Korean Airlines yesterday and the CSA told me that the policy of the airline is that a customer must have at lease 6 months remaining on their passport. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was placed on hold for almost 10 minutes. When the CSA returned she said that she had talked to her supervisor who told her the 6 month policy applies.

Perhaps writing to them is a good idea, but If their response turns out to be just a written repeat of the above, it's not going to do me any good.

Thailand does not require six months if you have a visa for entry (and the re-entry is your visa) and IATA clearly says that on website quoted above. That said I would get the new passport as even having a re-entry permit instead of a visa can be a curse for airline travel. I had Eva try to prevent my boarding with a re-entry permit years ago (and suspect airline staff are even less friendly today).

Thailand does not require six months if you have a visa for entry (and the re-entry is your visa) and IATA clearly says that on website quoted above. That said I would get the new passport as even having a re-entry permit instead of a visa can be a curse for airline travel. I had Eva try to prevent my boarding with a re-entry permit years ago (and suspect airline staff are even less friendly today).

Thanks. I appreciate your input on this matter.

Lop3

"I had Eva try to prevent my boarding with a re-entry permit years ago.... " This happened to me just four years ago at Seattle with United, and a farang check-in gal. She'd never heard of a "re-entry permit." I pretty well had to spell it out for her, "re-entry" means able to RE-ENTER, you ding-a-ling, politely, of course.

Mac

If you're going to renew your passport in the States, you'd best get crackin'. This is their busy season.

I renewed in the States in May, using the expedited route. Cost: $183. Sent in via First Class mail on a Monday -- received back 11 days later via overnight Express Mail (the $183 included Express Mail).

If I were you, I'd send the application in via Express Mail. Also, on the application, there's a place to indicate your travel date (I left this blank). For you, I'd fill it in, goosing your return date several days ahead of the July 20th date you indicated was your return date.

On-line application, which you subsequently print-out, is straightforward. If you're doing your own photograph at home, pay attention to all the caveats (color, top of head to chin measurement, no glare on eyeglasses, etc).

Delaying much longer says wait until Chiang Mai (and, I'm not even sure,as this is the rush season for passports, that you even have enough time now......).

Good luck.

If you're going to renew your passport in the States, you'd best get crackin'. This is their busy season.

I renewed in the States in May, using the expedited route. Cost: $183. Sent in via First Class mail on a Monday -- received back 11 days later via overnight Express Mail (the $183 included Express Mail).

If I were you, I'd send the application in via Express Mail. Also, on the application, there's a place to indicate your travel date (I left this blank). For you, I'd fill it in, goosing your return date several days ahead of the July 20th date you indicated was your return date.

On-line application, which you subsequently print-out, is straightforward. If you're doing your own photograph at home, pay attention to all the caveats (color, top of head to chin measurement, no glare on eyeglasses, etc).

Delaying much longer says wait until Chiang Mai (and, I'm not even sure,as this is the rush season for passports, that you even have enough time now......).

Good luck.

Thanks for your response.

From the research I've done there is another rout to an expedited US passport. There is a 24 hour appointment system which lets you schedule a walk-in appointment over the phone. However, you need to be able to show proof that you will be traveling abroad in less than 2 weeks or that you need the passport in 4 weeks or less in order to receive a visa. My understanding is that this process drastically reduces the turnaround time. The additional fee is $60.