Final Checklist & Process Time For Retirement Visa

I am currently coming up on my 60 day "seasoning" period of an amount over the required 800K baht needed at Kasikorn bank next Wednesday 7/11. My plan was to go in a get a letter of guarantee from the bank on Wednesday 7/12 and then make my way to the Chaeng Wattana Immiration Office. I want to be able to streamline the process and get out as soon as possible by doing all the copying and filling out the forms before arriving.My only problem I see maybe that I have been staying with a friend here in Bangkok and I don't know how that will be interpreted by Immigration.I currently hold a 90 day visa I acquired in the US before arriving in Thailand My plan is to.

1. download and fill out form TM.7 and print 3 copies from this website along with 3 passport sized pictures attached

http://www.wpcoe.com/visa/

Possible Problem: Will Immigration accept the internet forms or do they have to be on "Official" Forms

2. Make copies of Bank Account and provide letter of guarantee as follows:

(1) a photocopy of the passbook page showing your name & account number

(2) a photocopy of the passbook page(s) showing the current, and past three months', balances

3. Established Residence, again this could be tricky. I was planning on having a signed statement from my friend stating that I was staying there along with bringing a couple of letters received from my US banking institution addressed to the Bangkok residence I am currently staying at.

4. I thought I read some where that there is also some kind of personal information form that also needs to be filed out. Is this also available on the net?

If there is anything that I maybe be missing or overlooked please elaborate, I want to be in and out ASAP. I have posted other questions on this board In my quest for my retirement visa and the info I received back has been terrific. Also what kind of time am I looking at once I am called to a specific immigration agent.

Thanks again

You only need one TM7 application form and one photo.

You need copies of your passport photo page, visa entry/permit to stay stamps. Copy of TM6 departure card also.

Never seen the personal information form anywhere.

The letter from your friend should be enough along with mail addressed to you there. But that will be up to the immigration officer doing your extension.

wai.gif A couple of points:

1. The letter from the bank is good, but also bring your actual PASSBOOK. The reason for this is that at Chaeng Wattana there are most bank branch offices down on the first floor.

It's not uncommon for the immigration to accept your bank letter, but also ask you to make a token (100 Baht will do) deposit or withdrawal using you PASSBOOK in your bank branch downstairs The date/time printed in your passbook is their final confirmation that you actually have the funds in your bank accoun on the day and minute of application.

They did this to me, and as I had my passbook, they were happy. It's not done all the time, but it is a standard then they may do, especially on initial applications.

2. Know the telephone number of where you live. They asked me to enter my telephone number near my signature on the form. They never did call my house....but the telephone number isv something they often want/

3. I had mail that was sent to me also ready to show them....but for me they never asked, they just accepted my address as given. But your experience may differ.

They close for lunch from 12:00 to 13:00.....so expect that.

biggrin.png

You only need one TM7 application form and one photo.

You need copies of your passport photo page, visa entry/permit to stay stamps. Copy of TM6 departure card also.

Never seen the personal information form anywhere.

The letter from your friend should be enough along with mail addressed to you there. But that will be up to the immigration officer doing your extension.

ubonjoe,

I've seen the triplicate TM6 forms and passport photo's along with a personal form were listed on a separate Thai Visa Posting devoted to what is needed along with a posting from AngloInfo. That's why I'm just trying to confirm what is actually needed.

http://www.thaivisa.com/318.0.html

http://bangkok.angloinfo.com/countries/thailand/visas.asp

2. Required Documents

- Passport with validity of not less than 18 months.

- 3 copies of completed visa application forms.

- 3 passport-sized photos (4 x 6 cm) of the applicant taken within the past six

months.

- A personal data form.

Thanks for your help

That information is for a non immigrant O-A visa application at a Consulate outside Thailand. In Thailand you apply for an extension of stay using TM.7 form and in Bangkok only one form is required. Apples and oranges.

wai.gif A couple of points:

1. The letter from the bank is good, but also bring your actual PASSBOOK. The reason for this is that at Chaeng Wattana there are most bank branch offices down on the first floor.

It's not uncommon for the immigration to accept your bank letter, but also ask you to make a token (100 Baht will do) deposit or withdrawal using you PASSBOOK in your bank branch downstairs The date/time printed in your passbook is their final confirmation that you actually have the funds in your bank accoun on the day and minute of application.

They did this to me, and as I had my passbook, they were happy. It's not done all the time, but it is a standard then they may do, especially on initial applications.

2. Know the telephone number of where you live. They asked me to enter my telephone number near my signature on the form. They never did call my house....but the telephone number isv something they often want/

3. I had mail that was sent to me also ready to show them....but for me they never asked, they just accepted my address as given. But your experience may differ.

They close for lunch from 12:00 to 13:00.....so expect that.

biggrin.png

Thanks, that's a good call on bringing along the bank passbook

That information is for a non immigrant O-A visa application at a Consulate outside Thailand. In Thailand you apply for an extension of stay using TM.7 form and in Bangkok only one form is required. Apples and oranges.

So in getting this straight since I already have the "o" 90 day visa I obtained in the US. I need to fill out one time the TM7 form and have a passport photo attached since I'm doing the retirement visa portion in Bangkok, along with all the other copies of passport, passbook and residence.Yeesh, I was planning on walking in with the wrong form in triplicate ready to go. Thanks for saving me the anguish of doing all this for nothing.

Yes - download and print back to back on one A4 sheet of paper and attach 4x6cm photo taken within six months. You will also have a computer photo taken at immigration during application. As said they want your phone number of rear side (I normally do before they ask at top portion and never asked to change location). During desk time they will have you sign a paper that you understand extension is dependent on your maintaining the reason (more designed for employment/marriage) and the normal local approval document which you fill out top part with your name/bio data and officers sign as having approved you in center and bottom sections. It is really very easy and can be done without a word if the few documents are ready.

If you have forms ready enter and go through the outer office to the inside queue ticket area and tell them for retirement extension - they will provide ticket of "L" queue which will be on the left side and you take a seat and wait for your number/desk.

I got the one-year 'retirement' extension at the Ranong Immi office, in April.

The day before, went to KasiBank and got the letter attesting to my deposited funds of > 800kB (took 30 min, charge 100B)

On the day, I provided:

TM7 (one copy pre-filled)

p'copies (one each) of passport main page, current visa, most recent entry stamp, exit card.

two passport-size photos;

map of house location (pencil-hand drawn, took 2 min in the office, just in case there is some evacuation scare and the Thai Govt has to demonstrate that it looks after farangs...)

business card from the guest house (if you are staying with farang friend, this might be a challenge)

my (same-day updated) bank book + photocopy of bank book main page.

Fee 1,900B (single entry) (***KEEP THE RECEIPT)

Process took ~ 2hr.While you are there, remember to pick up free copies of TMs 8 + 28 (90 day report-by-mail, application for exit permit - not sure of numbers...). You can photocopy these for future use.

Later, 90 day reporting - require those 4 photocopied pages from pport, receipt for annual extension, application form (TM28? - forgot number), self-addressed envelope with 3B stamp. And this is to be posted in a registered letter to Immi - costs 18B. AA

I got the one-year 'retirement' extension at the Ranong Immi office, in April.

The day before, went to KasiBank and got the letter attesting to my deposited funds of > 800kB (took 30 min, charge 100B)

On the day, I provided:

TM7 (one copy pre-filled)

p'copies (one each) of passport main page, current visa, most recent entry stamp, exit card.

two passport-size photos;

map of house location (pencil-hand drawn, took 2 min in the office, just in case there is some evacuation scare and the Thai Govt has to demonstrate that it looks after farangs...)

business card from the guest house (if you are staying with farang friend, this might be a challenge)

my (same-day updated) bank book + photocopy of bank book main page.

Fee 1,900B (single entry) (***KEEP THE RECEIPT)

Process took ~ 2hr.While you are there, remember to pick up free copies of TMs 8 + 28 (90 day report-by-mail, application for exit permit - not sure of numbers...). You can photocopy these for future use.

Later, 90 day reporting - require those 4 photocopied pages from pport, receipt for annual extension, application form (TM28? - forgot number), self-addressed envelope with 3B stamp. And this is to be posted in a registered letter to Immi - costs 18B. AA

Sounds easy enough AARN, On the photocopies of your passport info, did you have all pertinent copies on one sheet of paper or one sheet for each item copied.

need four photocopied pages, ie. each on a separate sheet. Found a p'copy shop here 1baht/sheet, acceptable quality, suggest you get more than one copy of each for future use etc., won't bust the bank

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm flying to Thailand on a one way ticket, and a triple entry tourist visa. I plan to change my visa to a non immigrant O while I'm there and then an O-A.

I'm wondering how to fill in my TM6 form.

Can any one help please?

You fill in tm6 normally. You are a tourist on a 60 entry until you convert you entry. You will then get a non immigrant entry of 90 days followed by a one year extension of stay for retirement. There is no O-A visa involved.

OK second question - if I had previously transferred money from overseas into an SCB account and then from there to a stock brokerage account and then transfer back to SCB account 60+ days before first retirement visa application would that be accepted? I actually transferred a multiple of 800k and have that multiple now in stock brokerage account. Is it just clean cut payment from overseas into X bank account that is the only thing they will accept or will they accept letters confirming transfer into the country, then to brokerage account and back to SCB as acceptable?

Bit confused by what you mean by 'for conversion'. I will likely be on a tourist visa extension (60-90 days) when I apply for Ret Visa

If you can get a letter from SCB confirming a transfer into the of 800k baht or more.

You would have to do a change of visa status from a tourist visa to a non immigrant visa entry before you can do the extension of stay.

It would be better if you got a non-o visa instead of a tourist visa. No need for proof of funds from outside the country or the extra step of doing a change of visa status.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have a list of a DETAILED list of the exact requirements for everything for Conversion to Non O from 30 day stamp and then to retirement extension. Have the Tillleke and Gibbons translation but not detailed enough - have searched on Immigration website and also http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/523810-important-visa-information/ and http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/3139-useful-immigration-information-visa-descriptions/

It seems there are all kinds of 'Gotchas' that are not mentioned in any official criteria and requirements list

e.g. Funds from abroad and possibly proof of converted to THB onshore,

money must be in a SAVINGS account,

letters or bank book updates must be within certain number (7?) days of application,

photos have to be a certain size (4x6cm not standard passport - in fairness I think this one is stipulated somewhere other than on the form itself).

Min 15 days left on visa/30 day stamp for conversion.

I would just like to be sure I have cleared all the 'gotchas' before I go to Immigration rather than finding out at the time. I realise pretty much anything can be at the discretion of the Immigration officer but if I have their official criteria and requirements as published by themselves and they home in on something not mentioned, I may be able to respectfully point out that it is not mentioned anywhere in the official criteria in the hope that the Thai 'don't sweat the small stuff' accomodation can be appealed to.

Obviously I would like to know of any further 'gotchas' I have not discovered yet.

Edited by mokwit

You need at least 15 days remaining on your entry.

You will need letters from bank confirming your balance of 800k and that funds came from abroad the day before you apply (Bangkok same day).

Bank book needs to be updated on same day you apply.

You will need copies of your passport photo page, entry/permit to stay stamp and TM6 departure card.

Proof of address may be required at some offices.

Completed Application for Visa (TM.87) form with attached photo.

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to post this on http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/702145-risky-or-not/ but it was closed.

I have seasoned Bt800k in my bank but I am thinking of using an agent as at best I have to get letters and bankbooks etc all updated on the same day and with hidden 'gotchas' could end up having to go to Chaeng Wattana 4x i.e. go to convert - be told have to do something and go back again, go to extend have to do something and go back. I note that companies I worked for used an agent for Non B + WP even though they had personnel departments sitting around.By used I mean PAID - something Thai companies avoid doing if they can - especially if the have people they could suse for something sitting around.

Would prefer to use own existing bank book even though in my interpretation if the funds are actually there it may not break the law using the agent method - the 2 month seasoning I assume is a directive rather than a statuate.

What I need to know is if I am 'locked in' if I use an agent i.e always have to use them - cannot do alone next time. Thinking of using friendly Phoenix of Jack Golf.

Edited by mokwit

Wanted to post this on http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/702145-risky-or-not/ but it was closed.

I have seasoned Bt800k in my bank but I am thinking of using an agent as at best I have to get letters and bankbooks etc all updated on the same day and with hidden 'gotchas' could end up having to go to Chaeng Wattana 4x i.e. go to convert - be told have to do something and go back again, go to extend have to do something and go back. I note that companies I worked for used an agent for Non B + WP even though they had personnel departments sitting around.By used I mean PAID - something Thai companies avoid doing if they can - especially if the have people they could suse for something sitting around.

Would prefer to use own existing bank book even though in my interpretation if the funds are actually there it may not break the law using the agent method - the 2 month seasoning I assume is a directive rather than a statuate.

What I need to know is if I am 'locked in' if I use an agent i.e always have to use them - cannot do alone next time. Thinking of using friendly Phoenix of Jack Golf.

It was closed at the OP's request.

Two trips to immigration is normal if doing a conversion from a tourist visa or visa exempt entry.. One is to apply for the conversion and the other for the extension.

Sometimes though CW does gives a under consideration stamp while they do the approval.

Can you get proof that the 800k baht came from abroad. That may be needed for the conversion.

The 60 day seasoning for the first is in a police order. Getting proof of it being in bank for the required time when it wasn't would be considered fraud.

Both are easy and do not require all that much paperwork.

It is up to you how you handle it.

FYI Jack Golf is no longer in business.

"Getting proof of it being in bank for the required time when it wasn't would be considered fraud."

Yes I agree if there was a statement or indication that it had been there 60 days when it had not that would be a false declaration - maybe fraud. Ideally would use my own bank proof of funds.

I was thinking of using the resurrected Jack Golf (under different name I hinted at) as I have used them for visa runs and never heard anything bad about them and trust them not to go too wide after speaking with them - they talked about having to actually wait 60 days before extending for example.

So I can't convert and extend one year on same day? have seen mention of this on threads. The 60 days they mentioned I interpreted as time required for seasoning - my understanding is that you can convert without seasoning but must be seasoned for extension to be issued.

Edited by mokwit