What Papers Are Needed To Married Thai Woman In Thailand?

Sandman77

you will need proof that you are legally available to get married. This usually comes in the form of a letter (affidavit) from your embassy. Since there is no EU Embassy in Thailand I can't give you further details to what is required. Best you check the website for the embassy in thailand for your home country to see what they require to issue this legal proof.

The Thai authorities require that any foreign national wishing to marry in Thailand must obtain an “affirmation of freedom to marry” document. This is typically available from your consulate in Thailand.

Edited by Jayman

you will need passport, freedom to marry document, proof of income /sufficient bank balance, proof of residence. (you told your embassy that you had moved to Thailand, didn't you? I think these will need to be translated into Thai if you are here on a tourist visa.

Your Thai wife needs Tabien Ban, birth certificate, proof of marriageable status, extract from the divorce register if she is divorced, death certificate of her husband if she is a widow, her passport. These documents may have to be translated into the language of your mother country so that you can get their approval....

That's just the bare bones of the story. Good luck. Why not ask at the embassy or look on their website?

you will need passport, freedom to marry document, proof of income /sufficient bank balance, proof of residence. (you told your embassy that you had moved to Thailand, didn't you? I think these will need to be translated into Thai if you are here on a tourist visa.

Your Thai wife needs Tabien Ban, birth certificate, proof of marriageable status, extract from the divorce register if she is divorced, death certificate of her husband if she is a widow, her passport. These documents may have to be translated into the language of your mother country so that you can get their approval....

That's just the bare bones of the story. Good luck. Why not ask at the embassy or look on their website?

wow.. as an american I certainly didn't need all that. Simple letter from my embassy that I was free to marry was all I needed. Of course a passport is needed or how would you even be here? You must get the legal proof you are free to married officially translated into thai and registered at the gov office in BKK. Then you need a willing and unmarried women and 20thb to register the marriage at the local ampur. None of that tambien ban and birth cert for either my wife or I were needed.

for americans.....

Keep in mind that as an American our Embassy takes our word for things and no proof is required on our part. We affirm something and pay the $50 to have them notarize it. That goes for freedom to marry and proof of income. Of course, other countries might not trust their citizens so you might need to bring in your ex girlfriend to affirm that you are free to marry.. wink.png

Procedure

• Complete an affidavit at the U.S. Embassy. The affidavit form, available in our office or you may download a copy of the form here (PDF 35KB), includes all of the information required by relevant Thai law. The form must be completed and notarized at the Embassy. The notarial fee is $50 per seal. Make an appointment for a notarial.
  • Have the notarized affidavit translated. List of translators in the Bangkok area (PDF 50KB).
  • Take the affidavit and translation to:
    Legalization Division
    Department of Consular Affairs
    Ministry of Foreign Affairs
    3rd Floor, 123 Chaeng Wattana Road
    Tung Song Hong, Laksi District, Bangkok
    Tel: 02-575-1057-8, Fax: 02-575-1054
  • Take the affidavit and supporting documents to a local Amphur and register yourselves as married. The Amphur will also require the following documents:

• Your U.S. passport;
  • Identification for the other party, such as a Thai citizen's identification card;
    If either party is under the age of twenty, written permission from the parents with Thai translation);
  • If either you or your fiance have been previously married the Amphur will want to see proof that prior marriages have been terminated. Divorce or death certificates should suffice. These documents, if available, should be translated into Thai prior to presentation at the Amphur.

Here is the info for Brits..

A step-by-step guide to the procedure on getting married in Thailand is as follows. We are not able to answer any individual enquiries about the procedure to marry in Thailand.

1. Affirmation of Freedom to Marry in Thailand

• Please retype the affirmation including your details on one page in the same format as the attached sample and bring it in person to the Embassy to sign before a British Consular official.
  • We accept affirmations during normal consular public hours on Monday to Thursday at 08:00 - 11:00 hours and collections only at 13:00 - 14:00 hours, and on Friday at 08:00 - 11:00 hours and collections only at 11:00 - 12:00 noon. An appointment for this service is not necessary. The affirmation which is submitted before 11:00 hrs will be ready for collection in the afternoon.
  • We provide this service to British nationals only. The fee of Baht 2,725 per affirmation is payable.
  • Please bring with you to the Embassy your passport, as proof of identity, and evidence that any previous marriages have been dissolved/terminated (death certificate or divorce certificate(s) as appropriate. Certificates issued in a Third country outside UK and Thailand must be certified by the relevant British Embassy/Consulate or its respective Embassy in Thailand). Only the original evidence or a certified copy will be accepted – photocopies will not be accepted under any circumstances.

2. Have the affirmation translated into Thai

• Once the affirmation has been signed, you will need to have it translated into Thai. The British Embassy does not undertake the preparation or translation of documents. Many reputable translation companies advertise on the internet as well as in the Thai local press, and there are a number of companies within a short walk of the Embassy. Our staff are not allowed to recommend any particular firms in the private sector to the public.

3. Have the affirmation authenticated and translation certified

• All Thai Registrars will require authentication of the British Consular Official’s signature and certification of the Thai translation. This must be obtained from:

The Legalisation Division

Department of Consular Affairs

123 Chaeng Wattana Road,

Laksi District, Bangkok 10210

Tel : +66 (0) 2 575 1056–59, 0 2981 7171

Fax : +66 (0) 2 575 1054

Email :

(08:30 – 15:30 hrs)

4. Submit the document to the Registrar

• The affirmation and translation are then ready for submission to the registrar, who, if satisfied, will register the marriage and issue a Thai marriage certificate.

NB: The fees may have alter without prior notice.

I would give you more specific information for you but you don't want to share what country you hold a passport for.

Edited by Jayman

assumed the OP is german . .( the flaws in his use of english lead way to this conclusion )

i am a german national, I was planning to get married to my Thai GF inside Thailand only.

I found out that you require the certificate of "availability to get married" ( german: Ehefähigkeitsbescheinigung) not only need for

yourself, also you need it for your thai wife - EVEN IF YOU INTEND ONLY TO GET MARRIED in THAILAND !!!!

it does not make much difference if you want to get married here or in Germany . . the requirements are identical.

I did further investigations, which led me to the conclusions that actually my governemnt does not want me to get married to

a Thai woman ( probably because when you die, they inherit 60% lifetime widow pension, paid by german taxpayers, without having had to invest a single penny into the system).

My Thai GF had been married before, which added to the complications in applying for a certificate of being able to get married etc etc

I can say only one thing : FORGET IT unless you like roundabouts & carrousells with authorities and lawyers.

There is a german law firm right next to the german embassy in Bangkoks Sathorn Road, they have a very very informative website about the legal

constructions and obligations of getting married to a Thai . . they will answer ALL your questions !

all of this assumed you the OP is a german. If you are a brit, different ( easier) rules apply !

Welcome in real life !

To get married in Thailand.

All you need is 'affirmation of freedom to marry" (from your consulate/embassy) then translated into Thai by an MFA approved translator and counter-stamped by the MFA. And of course your passport.

All she needs is her ID card and House book.

@ cooked

Please stop posting BS

@crazygreg

Thailand is completely computerized, the Amphur office don't need anything from a Thai person except their ID and house book.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

sorry about the BS as you so kindly call it, I gave information for the papers that are needed when you intend to get a visa extension based on marriage, which was what I assumed the post was about.

Using the word BS to well intentioned people is BS

The British Embassy requires you to fill out an affirmation to marry, which will be stamped by the Consul, you must take some kind of ID with you, and some money of course.

For some unknown reason some Embassies want the life history of your intended, i.e, German and Swiss embassies wanting loads of documents before they process the Affirmation to Marry, to me this is BS.

The Affirmation is proof that you are able to marry a Thai woman, no need for them to know anything about her past history.

Edited by beano2274

The British Embassy requires you to fill out an affirmation to marry, which will be stamped by the Consul, you must take some kind of ID with you, and some money of course.

For some unknown reason some Embassies want the life history of your intended, i.e, German and Swiss embassies wanting loads of documents before they process the Affirmation to Marry, to me this is BS.

Perhaps cos of the high percentage of marriage failures but with the Thai ladies that end up living in farang land. whistling.gif
  • Like 1

sorry about the BS as you so kindly call it, I gave information for the papers that are needed when you intend to get a visa extension based on marriage, which was what I assumed the post was about.

The information you gave was just wrong in so many ways!

The OP asked about getting married inside Thailand

You were wrong ......He does not need any evidence of income to get married here.

You were wrong ....... He doesn't need to tell anyone he moved to Thailand.

You were wrong ...... He doesn't require any proof of residence.

You were wrong ..... She doesn't need her birth certificate.

You were wrong ....... She does need her ID card.

You were wrong ....... She doesn't need a passport.

You were wrong ....... His bride to be doesn't need any evidence of her marital status.

You were wrong ........ She doesn't need a divorce or death certificate for a former spouse.

You were wrong ....... She doesn't need any Thai documents translated.

That's 9 items in your post which were incorrect!

A new record of wrongness on ThaiVisa (unless you know differnt)

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 2

The information you gave was just wrong in so many ways!

The OP asked about getting married inside Thailand

You were wrong ......He does not need any evidence of income to get married here.

You were wrong ....... He doesn't need to tell anyone he moved to Thailand.

You were wrong ...... He doesn't require any proof of residence.

You were wrong ..... She doesn't need her birth certificate.

You were wrong ....... She does need her ID card.

You were wrong ....... She doesn't need a passport.

You were wrong ....... His bride to be doesn't need any evidence of her marital status.

You were wrong ........ She doesn't need a divorce or death certificate for a former spouse.

You were wrong ....... She doesn't need any Thai documents translated.

That's 9 items in your post which were incorrect!

A new record of wrongness on ThaiVisa (unless you know differnt)

Going back a bit but my wife had to show divorce paper, and l think the law is that a Thai lady cannot marry a farang until 361 days after her divorce, the paper shows this. Of course l could be wrong, just stuff from my old gray cells. smile.png

Going back a bit but my wife had to show divorce paper, and l think the law is that a Thai lady cannot marry a farang until 361 days after her divorce, the paper shows this. Of course l could be wrong, just stuff from my old gray cells. smile.png

That was before all the offices were computerized & the Thais all issued 'chipped' ID cards........ how long ago was that for you?

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Watch the language and keep it nice. It is not needed to be insulting.

A Thai woman can not marry within 310 (?) days of being divorced, unless she marriage the person she divorced or can show a doctors attest that she is not pregnant. The intended spouse being a foreigner is of no consequence.

Watch the language and keep it nice. It is not needed to be insulting.

A Thai woman can not marry within 310 (?) days of being divorced, unless she marriage the person she divorced or can show a doctors attest that she is not pregnant. The intended spouse being a foreigner is of no consequence.

I was close. biggrin.png

I clicked on this thread becasue after visiting US embassy site I too had a question - if all that was required on her part was her ID (to be certain).

Please everyone, answer the specific question - if you wish to add addl info or your opinion - do so in another paragraph.