Are Farangs Not To Blame For Bringing Thai Problems Upon Themselves

arch77778

Once you understand the language you can move from your stage (all Thai people the same) to the next stage of understanding Thai people as individuals. This is difficult to do if you can't understand their language. Sure some are the same. But the vast majority are not. There are still guys posting on Thai Visa who think Chinese/Thai people are different and that's really wacky.

In the context of your assertion above that Chinese/Thai people are no different to the rest of the Thai people (per se), please could you explain your earlier post in this thread where you said:

"If you had a poll asking those who speak Thai (not second hand knowledge of them) if they are problem free you would get 70% positive answers. Excluding those who are married to or know a lot of Chinese/Thai people of course."

I am confused (and others may be too) so it would be good if you could provide some clarification.

Be more than happy to do so. People on Thai Visa who think they know or can identify Chinese/Thai people are prone to have problems. You can tell these people because they never identify Thai people without pointing out that the ones they know are not regular Thai people but Chinese/Thai people. It has been my experience that these people will have problems if they speak Thai or don't speak Thai. So I excluded them from my estimate of people having problems in Thailand.

Whats the difference between a 'Chinese/Thai' person and a 'regular' Thai person? My grandmother was regular all her life and she was neither Thai or Chinese. Althigh she did like prunes which I believe are a staple of the Chinese diet.

In all seriousness though, I doubt that being able to spot the influence of North Asian genetics in a South East Asian population is going to make any difference to the problems that most people on this site face.

Sometimes cause and effect remain confused long after the correlation is found. I don't think Kerry is concerned whether people can identify Thai / Chinese people, nor whether such people CAN be identiifed, nor even whether they exist. THe feature that he believes correlates with one having problems is believing that one can identify them.

Remember, on TV, its not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game.

SC

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be more than happy to do so. People on Thai Visa who think they know or can identify Chinese/Thai people are prone to have problems

How so, old chap?

Delusional. It is usually a sign of some deeper problem.

Why not focus on my reply #104 instead. Cause you have nothing to say?

This may be a bit deep, but normally people reply to the post they are reading and not another post.

As to why I didn't reply to post #104. I didn't read it. Now I will go read it.

That excuse may have worked if you hadnt already replied to another reply I made after reply #104.

Edited by Kananga

In the context of your assertion above that Chinese/Thai people are no different to the rest of the Thai people (per se), please could you explain your earlier post in this thread where you said:

"If you had a poll asking those who speak Thai (not second hand knowledge of them) if they are problem free you would get 70% positive answers. Excluding those who are married to or know a lot of Chinese/Thai people of course."

I am confused (and others may be too) so it would be good if you could provide some clarification.

Be more than happy to do so. People on Thai Visa who think they know or can identify Chinese/Thai people are prone to have problems. You can tell these people because they never identify Thai people without pointing out that the ones they know are not regular Thai people but Chinese/Thai people. It has been my experience that these people will have problems if they speak Thai or don't speak Thai. So I excluded them from my estimate of people having problems in Thailand.

Whats the difference between a 'Chinese/Thai' person and a 'regular' Thai person? My grandmother was regular all her life and she was neither Thai or Chinese. Althigh she did like prunes which I believe are a staple of the Chinese diet.

In all seriousness though, I doubt that being able to spot the influence of North Asian genetics in a South East Asian population is going to make any difference to the problems that most people on this site face.

Sometimes cause and effect remain confused long after the correlation is found. I don't think Kerry is concerned whether people can identify Thai / Chinese people, nor whether such people CAN be identiifed, nor even whether they exist. THe feature that he believes correlates with one having problems is believing that one can identify them.

Remember, on TV, its not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game.

SC

Kerry's problem lies with the fact that he thinks that all Asians look the same. And that really may lead to some people believing he's delusional.

How so, old chap?

when i go to the village and start talking thai it is like a green light for them to annoy me. better to just play dumb.

Hold up a cup of water. Point to it. Say "Moo? Moo?". They usually get pissed off and leave you alone which in the end is really the goal isn't it?

Just don't go to the "village" then...put your foot down.....

So you think that once you can understand the language you dont think all Thai people are the same, but you also think that its wacky to think that Chinese/Thai people are different?

Once I learned the language I found out that Thai people are not all the same like you pointed out. Because some also speak chinese dialects which means that they are different to the ones that don't. Which is what you said, but you also find wacky.

Sounds to me like you have just contradicted yourself. However I very much look forward to you trying to explain that you meant something completely different.

99% of Thai people regardless of ethnic origin don't speak any Chinese dialects unless learned in school.

So you think that once you can understand the language you dont think all Thai people are the same, but you also think that its wacky to think that Chinese/Thai people are different?

Once I learned the language I found out that Thai people are not all the same like you pointed out. Because some also speak chinese dialects which means that they are different to the ones that don't. Which is what you said, but you also find wacky.

Sounds to me like you have just contradicted yourself. However I very much look forward to you trying to explain that you meant something completely different.

99% of Thai people regardless of ethnic origin don't speak any Chinese dialects unless learned in school.

So with this statement we could assume (provided you know what you are talking about) that 100% of the Thai population speaks a Chinese dialect however only 1% learned it in the home. Is this indeed what you are stating as fact?

Edited by Kananga

How so, old chap?

when i go to the village and start talking thai it is like a green light for them to annoy me. better to just play dumb.

Hold up a cup of water. Point to it. Say "Moo? Moo?". They usually get pissed off and leave you alone which in the end is really the goal isn't it?

Which posters are you quoting?

I suppose he's gone bush, and he's lost his anglo-saxon fighting resolve; he's just trying to avoid conflict without anyone losing face, and fitting into his place in society as the farang that can't speak Thai, while going along with his wife's desire to see the inlaws.

SC

• Like 1

So you are saying the northern people don't speak Chinese at all but learn it in school. interesting theory.

So with this statement we could assume (provided you know what you are talking about) that 100% of the Thai population speaks a Chinese dialect however only 1% learned it in the home. Is this indeed what you are stating as fact?

You really did not understand my post? Or are you just being flaming.

In any case will another kind poster explain to the Kananga gentleman what I wrote.

So you are saying the northern people don't speak Chinese at all but learn it in school. interesting theory.

No I didn't say anything about geography. I said 99% of the Thai population speak no Chinese unless it is learned in school as another language.

You really did not understand my post? Or are you just being flaming.

In any case will another kind poster explain to the Kananga gentleman what I wrote.

Yes, will someone please explain what kerry wrote as he is unable to and also conclude whether his post is in any way factual.

Thank you.

No I didn't say anything about geography. I said 99% of the Thai population speak no Chinese unless it is learned in school as another language.

Does this 'precise'percentage increase in Bangkok?

Edited by Kananga

I choose NOT to learn more thai as I would end up speaking my mind about all the BS that goes on here.

My lack of proficiency allows me to have a rant and no one knows what I am talking about. I can then calm down and nobody is any the wiser.

The language barrier here can be a wonderful thing

Ohhh so it is you who i see often speaking to yourself and ranting about somethingtongue.png

I agree with you my friend 100%

You must mean the ones restricted to your area/province surely?

You must mean the ones restricted to your area/province surely?

That he knows personally...

Just two words to utterly hammer that silly statement ....Nakorn Sawan...oh and a third...cobblers....

Don't just make up silly stats....

You know better than that...

Just two words to utterly hammer that silly statement ....Nakorn Sawan...oh and a third...cobblers....

Don't just make up silly stats....

You know better than that...

LOL!

We are an extremely homogenous species genetically. As a matter of fact, all humans today are 99.9% genetically identica. If you think you can tell the difference between a Thai and a Chinese Thai you are ignorant of current educational standards on the subject of race.

People in general who believe this sort of thing have problems. It borders on all sorts of discussions I don't want to get into here but there were lots of books and papers published in German about that subject in the 1930's and 1940's.

We are an extremely homogenous species genetically. As a matter of fact, all humans today are 99.9% genetically identica. If you think you can tell the difference between a Thai and a Chinese Thai you are ignorant of current educational standards on the subject of race.

People in general who believe this sort of thing have problems. It borders on all sorts of discussions I don't want to get into here but there were lots of books and papers published in German about that subject in the 1930's and 1940's.

So do you think that all Asians look the same? Personally I believe that anyone who thinks this is the one with the problems.

Should have gone to specsavers...

Edited by Kananga

We are an extremely homogenous species genetically.

Well, possibly...,but as I am not a walking microscope/genetics laboratory I couldn't say for certain. Sadly I have to use external stimuli to distinguish race and ethnicity and it's not difficult...now, how about Nakorn Sawan???

OP your post is Nonsense !! not as simple as that, just another self opinionated view.

So?

If you want any respect explain what you are talking about.

I bet 7 out of 10 people who post on this forum who speak Thai have few if any problems.

Your turn.

OP "We Farangs are stupid for not learning the Thai language.I have come to the conclusion that problems highlighted on this forum is due to not being able to speak the language.(never mind lost in translation or culture,we also have a culure)We are simply too lazy or cant be bothered.Opinions will be appreciated."

I gave my opinion and disagree OK. :)

And as for the 7 out of 10 where did that gem come from.laugh.png

What a load of quack, seems more like a ploy to redirect the criticism of your poll.

What a load of quack, seems more like a ploy to redirect the criticism of your poll.

I agree completely.

I choose NOT to learn more thai as I would end up speaking my mind about all the BS that goes on here.

My lack of proficiency allows me to have a rant and no one knows what I am talking about. I can then calm down and nobody is any the wiser.

The language barrier here can be a wonderful thing

Ohhh so it is you who i see often speaking to yourself and ranting about somethingtongue.png

I agree with you my friend 100%

what exactly do you agree with?

I think kerryk is just trying to say that people who make assumptions about other people based purely on their skin colour are likely to face more problems in life.

I think kerryk would be the first to admit that he should not have stated statistics (that were simply based on his own un-scientific observations) to support his point.

• Like 2

I agree completely.

Me too...plus I'm going to employ the word "quack" a sight more in general conversation from here on in. What a fine word it is.

quack quackgiggle.gif

post-154267-0-99401800-1341549424_thumb.