Flood Alert System Improved: PM Yingluck

webfact

INUNDATION

Flood alert system improved: PM

Piyanart Srivalo

Prapasri Osathanont

The Nation

30185582-01_big.jpg?1341531154441

BANGKOK: -- Flooding earlywarning systems will perform better this year than last as all alerts will be integrated and coordinated before reaching the public, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said yesterday.

Under the improved system, raw data would be fed to a communal centre, where it would be verified, analysed and processed before the public is notified through various channels, including a new website, www.thaiwater.net, Yingluck said. She spoke after finishing an inspection tour of many provinces to check on floodprevention measures and projects.

The website would also receive complaints and notifications from the public while providing basic information and contact details.

Personnel responsible for sending alerts to the public, once the need for an alert had been confirmed and approved, ranged from people at the village level through village heads, kamnan and provincial governors, Yingluck said. However, the warning system would not be available in all areas. It would primarily function in frequently flooded areas, while existing communication mechanisms under the Interior Ministry's supervision would provide assistance.

Asked whether she was happy with the preventive measures in place so far, Yingluck said the situation was better than last year but she was not ready to relax. "We can never feel fully at ease over the situation, but should stay fully prepared under the time constraints and limitations facing us. I insist, once again, that the situation in general is better than last year," she added.

Science Minister Plodprasob Surassawadee said the chance of a massive flood stood at only 1 per cent in lowlying areas and for homes near water sources, adding that Bangkok would not be flooded except for riverside communities, while all flooding would be brief and limited to a low level. He did not give any details to back up his claims, however.

Meanwhile, Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul declared his recent visit to China a success, saying the topics discussed were flood and water management, information technology, highspeed train projects and alternative energy.

Ambassadors of a number of countries would be asked to meet today with Thai officials in charge of water and flood management to discuss an invitation for businesspeople in their countries to bid on projects, Surapong said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-06

At first glance, I thought the headline read: Food Alert System Improved. ....and had visions of Thailand cleaning up its food, along the lines of;

>>> more organic

>>> less MSG

>>> less overcooked veges

>>> more fresh veges

.......but now I see the key word is 'Flood', so it's back to my Thai breakfast: chemi-ridden rice in soup of congealed pig's blood, with tablespoon of MSG for added flavor, with roasted pig skin on the side. Oh, and a salad of 3 thin slices of cucumber.

Edited by maidu

but why would we need a warning system When the science minister promised, just yesterday, that there would be no floods this year in bangkok?

Maybe the science minister is the warning system....

I recall last floods they told, no panic no hording when the water was already here. Everyone who has at least one eye can be hired as warning system...."Call me if there is water"

BANGKOK: -- Flooding earlywarning systems will perform better this year than last as all alerts will be integrated and coordinated before reaching the public, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said yesterday.

Under the improved system, raw data would be fed to a communal centre, where it would be verified, analysed and processed before the public is notified through various channels, including a new website, www.thaiwater.net, Yingluck said. She spoke after finishing an inspection tour of many provinces to check on floodprevention measures and projects.

Thailand is a 21st century industrial digital economy which refers to itself as amazing and miracle, it is also a country that has had seasonal flooding since long before Noah. So why is Yingluck doing another photo op to announce a system of basic data-collation and alarm systems which should have been put in place under her brother's five year regime, and also one year ago under her own. It is not an achievement for a country with annual floods to have competent data, alarm and defence systems. It should be such a basic non-subject.

• Like 1

Thailand is a 21st century industrial digital economy which refers to itself as amazing and miracle, it is also a country that has had seasonal flooding since long before Noah. So why is Yingluck doing another photo op to announce a system of basic data-collation and alarm systems which should have been put in place under her brother's five year regime, and also one year ago under her own. It is not an achievement for a country with annual floods to have competent data, alarm and defence systems. It should be such a basic non-subject.

Beside that the most basic system is to just call someone in the area per phone, mobile phone or radio. And in Bangkok is someone write it on an overlay foil on the map.

The technology is since approx. 100 years available.

In the 1930s the Germans could do it perfect, encrypted and mobile, worldwide for the submarine fleet......

• Like 1

I hope this means that on the basis that Hottie Yingluck and her cronies live in my neighbourhood, that we will be saved the floods. As cute as she is, I can not seriously believe she is doing anything other than protecting themselves lol

• Like 1

I hope this means that on the basis that Hottie Yingluck and her cronies live in my neighbourhood, that we will be saved the floods. As cute as she is, I can not seriously believe she is doing anything other than protecting themselves lol

Or maybe they offer money for poor people who got their house destroyed by the floods.....Than it would be possible that just her house and that of her cronies get destroyed, so they get the funds to buy a new house in Singapore or Hongkong.

It does sound as if the authorities have got their act together although you should expect nothing less after the time, money and effort spent to improve the catastrophic fiasco of last year.

But if it does all go tits up again Hottie won't have a Burberry booted leg to stand on.

Edited by bigbamboo

But if it does all go tits up again Hottie won't have a Burberry booted leg to stand on.

She can pop round to mine then if she will have to lie down. thumbsup.gif

Most of the money spent will have disappeared into back pockets all over town. I bet the defences are mainly around Japanese and HiSo owned factories, with the flow diverted to the houses of the people wiped out last time. After all, it only costs them 5k a house if it happens again so no great shakes.

"I insist, once again, that the situation in general is better than last year," she added.

Yes, thanks to the Rain Gods providing less rainfall than last year (until date at least).

Yes in May it looked a lot better than in October last year......

But they won't stop the water.

No they will stop the water running from North to the South.....At least long enough till it is unstoppable.....

They did so successfully last year.

At first glance, I thought the headline read: Food Alert System Improved. ....and had visions of Thailand cleaning up its food, along the lines of;

>>> more organic

>>> less MSG

>>> more fresh veges

.......but now I see the key word is 'Flood', so it's back to my Thai breakfast: chemi-ridden rice in soup of congealed pig's blood, with tablespoon of MSG for added flavor, with roasted pig skin on the side. Oh, and a salad of 3 thin slices of cucumber.

Mine is fresh fruit and toast and marmelade/jam made with home made bread.

>>> more organic

>>> less MSG

>>> more fresh veges

But it's you that chooses to eat it. You could have an organic breakfast. So your choice,

Regarding www.thaiwater.net...

Do non-Thai speakers/readers need to be able to access information re status of flooding... or should we just drown?

preferably having first left any funds with a local

>>> more organic

>>> less MSG

>>> more fresh veges

Mine is fresh fruit and toast and marmelade/jam made with home made bread.

sounds excellent, but quite un-Thai.

But it's you that chooses to eat it. You could have an organic breakfast. So your choice,

You didn't 'get' that I mentioned that awful breakfast in jest. It's a parody of what Thais customarily eat.

A typical at-home b'fast for me is sliced cucumber (and/or sweet pepper), an h.b. egg, a few olives and whole grain bread.

Regarding www.thaiwater.net...

Do non-Thai speakers/readers need to be able to access information re status of flooding... or should we just drown?

I guess so, as it's our own fault being in the country.

Flooding earlywarning systems will perform better this year than last as all alerts will be integrated and coordinated before reaching the public, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said yesterday.

Under the improved system, raw data would be fed to a communal centre, where it would be verified, analysed and processed before the public is notified through various channels, including a new website, www.thaiwater.net

Sounds reasonable, 'integrated and coordinated' alerts, nice. This time when someone says 'scram' we should really do so, I guess.

Now what about the other projects, something to do with 'flood prevention' if I remember correctly?

Flooding earlywarning systems will perform better this year than last as all alerts will be integrated and coordinated before reaching the public, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said yesterday.

Under the improved system, raw data would be fed to a communal centre, where it would be verified, analysed and processed before the public is notified through various channels, including a new website, www.thaiwater.net

Anytime bureaucracy gets involved with anything in Thailand, it bogs it down. Just one example among thousands: Thai legislators had a year to decide whether to allow Nasa to do a weather station. It waited until the 11th hour, and (surprise) couldn't make a decision.

Every decision made by Thai authority is subjectively fed through a series or filters, such as:

>>>> is this what we should be telling the people?

>>>> will the announcement sit will with established entities?

>>>> will this hurt tourist dollars?

>>>> will this offend any important people? Will it spark any lawsuits?

>>>> will this announcement look bad politically

By the time Thai authorities get around to making an announcement regarding weather or floods or droughts, it may be too late for regular people to respond appropriately. Plus, the press release may be just plain wrong.

Bangkok and central Thailand experience floods every year.

However, major flooding hits about every 5 years.

The incidence will be more frequent, now that there's so much more covered terrain (by concrete, roofs and asphalt) and much less natural terrain which would ordinarily soak up excess rain.