Bar Talk

Insight

Sitting in my local on Suk ( - Thai related! :o ) last night I heard an interesting one...

The reason extraterrestrial life has never been discovered is due to radar and nuclear weapons being developed round a similar point in time, meaning that any civilization out there that has followed a path similar to our own may of completely wiped themselves out before they had the chance to discover other civilizations.

So there's something nice to look forward to.

Anybody else with meaningless, yet interesting bits of info heard sitting on a bar stool?

Sitting in my local on Suk ( - Thai related! :o ) last night I heard an interesting one...

The reason extraterrestrial life has never been discovered is due to radar and nuclear weapons being developed round a similar point in time, meaning that any civilization out there that has followed a path similar to our own may of completely wiped themselves out before they had the chance to discover other civilizations.

So there's something nice to look forward to.

Anybody else with meaningless, yet interesting bits of info heard sitting on a bar stool?

Unfortunately, it sounds believable!

For some strange reason i keep hearing the same story told by different farangs......it goes something like this:

A farang was involved in a road accident, he was not to blame but a Thai national died.

The farang was arrested and later accused of causing the death.

When summing up the judge cited that "if the farang had not been in Thailand on the day of the accident this person would be still alive, therefore he is guilty of causing the death"

Telling this tale must be a favourite passtime of Isaan expats. :o

One legend I like concerns minature elephants that bring good luck. supposedly they congugate near water sources to relax and play. I'm not sure if you just need to see them or capture one for the good fortune to befall you. I don't know if this is a Thai or Laos legend or both.

I do like hearing of the Nagas in the Mekong.

For some strange reason i keep hearing the same story told by different farangs......it goes something like this:

A farang was involved in a road accident, he was not to blame but a Thai national died.

When summing up the judge cited that "if the farang had not been in Thailand on the day of the accident this person would be still alive, therefore he is guilty of causing the death"

Telling this tale must be a favourite passtime of Isaan expats. :D

I hadn't heard that one... but now i know it ...... :o

totster :D

The story of the Indonesia Jamboys is one that comes up a lot (they are also in Africa)--

In certain parts of Indo, the flies are so bad that when you play golf, along with your caddy, you also get a Jamboy. He is a young gentleman who puts a large dose of jam (usually strawberry) in his hair (he may style it like gel at this point) and he walks behind you to attract the flies. They swarm to his head and leave you in peace to play your shot.

Telling this tale must be a favourite passtime of Isaan expats. :o

Often used to define Thai logic.

It is logical, though.

Telling this tale must be a favourite passtime of Isaan expats. :D

I hadn't heard that one... but now i know it ...... :o

totster :D

yes, and now every expat from Kalsin to Kunchinarai and Kranuan to Mukdahan will be chattering away :D