3 Questions About Driving A Car In Chiang Mai

brownrabbit

Any help much appreciated...

1. Taking driving lessons - anyone had lessons here and can recommend any driving schools in Chiang Mai? Rarely see any about. I did pass my test but it was years ago and I never drove after passing it so definitely need some refresher lessons - especially here with the roads being what they are.

2. Obtaining a Thai driving license - is this essential? How easy is it to obtain and what are the costs involved? There is an advert on citylife with some bloke saying he can help farang get this in 20mins - doesn't mention costs involved but obviously he wants his share - sounds like a scam but maybe he really is saving folk a potential headache?

3. Cars here seem extortionately expensive - I saw an advert recently aimed at farang for a 1994 civic for 159,000baht - that's almost 4000 pounds! Anyone have good experiences of reputable sellers here or have bought cars on credit?

I really know nothing about any of this which is obvious so apologies for my ignorance and thanks in advance for any relevant advice given.

I you have your home country driving license then you should not need to take

the Thai practical driving test. Just pass the color/reaction/depth perception eye tests at the time of license application, maybe need to watch the video (not sure if needed for 1st license application). Cost about 150 baht or so, but you will need your certificate of residency from immigration or you Embassy (that costs a lot more), maybe even need a medical certificate. Easy enough to do all this yourself.

Yes, 2nd hand cars are shocking expensive compared with the US and the UK.

Forgot to mention, it is worthwhile having a Thai driving license if you plan to stay long time in Thailand. After a time (think it's 6 months - not sure) you are required by Thai law to have a Thai license.

• Like 1

1. Yes there are many driving instructors around, but some will turn up in a knackered old manual' pick-up and not have a clue. Pretty sure someone on here will be able to give you a recommendation.

2. I would say a driving licence is essential/sensible. Especially, if you have an accident and easier if you are stopped by BIB. Easy to get one? Yes. See thread here, tells you exactly how to get one. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/520115-procedure-for-obtaining-a-thai-driving-license-for-motorcycle-in-cm-without-an-idp/page__hl__driving#entry5402592 Simple procedure.

3. Yes, cars are expensive and depreciation is minimal. An old crock that would be scrap in the UK, is still worth THB150k here! Imported cars even more so eg. a Mini here is around GBP40k new! Nothing you can do about it, they are expensive and that's that!

• Like 1

You're better off buying a brand new car, get one on finance. You'd get a Honda Jazz or a Toyota Vios for reasonable money. Getting a good deal on a second hand car is very difficult

I disagree. There are many good deals on second-hand cars. It takes time to look but in the end you will find a good deal. I don't see how you can get a car on credit without a work permit and a job. Maybe you have that but you didn't say so in your OP.

• Like 2

better to buy a new

Honda Brio

Nissan March

Mitsubishi Mirage

all come in under 400,000 baht with 2 year guarantee and no hassle.....even if u sell it after 2 years u will still get about 325,000 back

buy a 15 year old car with the clock wound back and maybe two halves welded together at your peril.....false economy if u ask me

1. The Mrs used the driving school opposite Big C on the super highway. They took her out around the moat and for her test.

2. It is a legal requirement to have an International Driving License to drive here, then after 3 or 6 months ( I cant recall which, but think its 3) you are legally required to have a Thai driving license. Sure you can rent a car and get away with being stopped by the BIB with a UK driving license, but should you ever get involed in a serious accident your insurance would be invalidated and you would be driving without a legal license.

As a bonus the Thai drivers license will get you into parks at local rates, it will get you resident discounts at hotels, golf courses etc. and pays for itself in no time.

3. When we arrived from the UK we were shocked by the car prices, and decided to buy new. The best value compared to 'home' seems to be in the trucks.

Post number 2 gives you the details you need to get a license. As for buying cars:

I really wouldn't recommend getting a new car until you've spent at least a year driving here, when you've got used to the state of play, then consider getting a decent car.

If you spend somewhere between THB 100k and THB 175K on a used car you may get lucky and get a decent car that will last a long time. If you're not lucky and the car needs work then all aspects of car repair are very cheap by comparison to what you've know previously. I bought a 1997 Mitsubishi Lancer last year for THb 80k and subsequently I've replaced most things on the car including the engine and transmission. Today it's a great runner and I'm only into it for THb 160k which is easily recoverable when sold.

You might want to consider purchasing a mechanically sound used vehicle and then take a sledge hammer to it. When the Thai's see you coming they will tend to avoid you, and you'll end up having a safer and more pleasurable time driving in CM. If you haven't noticed, the police fail to enforce traffic laws so people run stop lights, stop signs, drive the wrong way on one-way streets, and even ride motorcycles on the few foot paths there are in the city. Also, please keep in mind if you have a vehicle accident, you will be at fault. If you had been in the country you came from then the accident would have never happened, lol. Good luck. :-)

You might want to consider purchasing a mechanically sound used vehicle and then take a sledge hammer to it. When the Thai's see you coming they will tend to avoid you, and you'll end up having a safer and more pleasurable time driving in CM. If you haven't noticed, the police fail to enforce traffic laws so people run stop lights, stop signs, drive the wrong way on one-way streets, and even ride motorcycles on the few foot paths there are in the city. Also, please keep in mind if you have a vehicle accident, you will be at fault. If you had been in the country you came from then the accident would have never happened, lol. Good luck. :-)

What if I take a taxi and there's and accident, would I be at fault? I mean, if I as a Farang have not been in the country, the accident wouldn't have happened. blink.png

In case of a traffic accident in Thailand, make sure you never admit it's your fault and don't say any thing, just wait until the police and the insurance guy arrive. For those farangs that complain about Thai traffic I wish they f... off to India or Vietnam and tell those people how to drive more like they do the west.

Edited by ARISTIDE
  • Like 2

What if I take a taxi and there's and accident, would I be at fault? I mean, if I as a Farang have not been in the country, the accident wouldn't have happened. blink.png

No worries mate as long as you are not behind the wheel. If you are driving then it will be your fault. :-(

In case of a traffic accident in Thailand, make sure you never admit it's your fault and don't say any thing, just wait until the police and the insurance guy arrive. For those farangs that complain about Thai traffic I wish they f... off to India or Vietnam and tell those people how to drive more like they do the west.

Wow, what got your panties all bunched up?

Also, please keep in mind if you have a vehicle accident, you will be at fault.

This is just not true, it depends on what happened, where it happened and how it happened, just because a farang is involved means very little and I speak from 9 years and over 150k miles of driving in Thailand, including involvement in three accidents.

• Like 2

Also, please keep in mind if you have a vehicle accident, you will be at fault.

This is just not true, it depends on what happened, where it happened and how it happened, just because a farang is involved means very little and I speak from 9 years and over 150k miles of driving in Thailand, including involvement in three accidents.

+1 I was in an accident, very minor damage to my truck rear bumper but totally screwed up the front end, radiator, ... of the Thai lawyer's car that rear ended me. He came out yelling at me, I did not say anything, police arrived and talked to others, confirmed with me that the truck was mine, asked if I wanted to claim for the dime sized dent in my bumper, I said no, he said go, I did.

• Like 1

Most of those whiners have never been any place but home and Thailand. My Thai wife will not even ride a motor bike in Cambodia. A friend of mine was visiting in Cairo and had to take a taxi to cross a road.

Edited by hellodolly

Most of those whiners have never been any place but home and Thailand. My Thai wife will not even ride a motor bike in Cambodia. A friend of mine was visiting in Cairo and had to take a taxi to cross a road.

And this has what, if anything, to do with the subject at hand??

I bought a 25 year old Honda here for 80,000THB. It looks good and runs great. Ice cold aircon,strong engine and solid transmission. I also have a new motorbike that cost 77,000THB. I use the motorbike everyday and the car occasionally. For me it wouldn't be cost effective to spend more for a car. Now if I didn't feel comfortable riding a motorbike it would be a different story.

Don't forget to buy First Class insurance, do not just use 3rd class

You can't buy 1st class insurance on cars over 7 years??? old. I'm sure if I am wrong someone will correct me.

True you cannot buy first class insurance on an older car. Not sure if it is 7 years. The insurance company I used said 10 years. However you can increase the public liability insurance to whatever amount you wish. I increased pl & pd on my wifes car to 5 million bahts..Lets face it if you are driving an old car you don't really care about the damage to your car. But if you run into a new mercedes benz and total it you want to make sure your have enough insurance to cover the damage. I guess if you happen to be unfortunate enough to kill someone in Thailand you don't need to have high pl & pd.. I read a few days ago on Thia visa about the bus accident in the south that killed 11 people..The insurance company is going to pay 400,000 bahts and the bus company 30,000 bahts.

You can't buy 1st class insurance on cars over 7 years??? old. I'm sure if I am wrong someone will correct me.

True you cannot buy first class insurance on an older car. Not sure if it is 7 years. The insurance company I used said 10 years. However you can increase the public liability insurance to whatever amount you wish. I increased pl & pd on my wifes car to 5 million bahts..Lets face it if you are driving an old car you don't really care about the damage to your car. But if you run into a new mercedes benz and total it you want to make sure your have enough insurance to cover the damage. I guess if you happen to be unfortunate enough to kill someone in Thailand you don't need to have high pl & pd.. I read a few days ago on Thia visa about the bus accident in the south that killed 11 people..The insurance company is going to pay 400,000 bahts and the bus company 30,000 bahts.

Also, it's only possible to get third party insurance coverage on older cars hence any damage to your own vehicle is down to you, if it was your fault.

If a foreigner has an accident and someone dies you need to have sufficient funds to cover the 200k baht bail bond. I admit I do not know if this facility is available via 3rd class insurance, but is provided with 1st class insurance. Anyone have the answer re facility with 3rd class insurance to cover bail bond? Of course the way around this would be to negotiate financial settlement with the aggrieved parties, but it is likely you will not be released from police custody until financial arrangements have been finalised.

Edited by simple1