Differences In Religion With Thai Partner

Soju

So he offered the girl leftover food that is normally fed to dogs...or chucked out....no wonder she was offended :o

it is considered offensive to take the food from the shrines....

No, read posts before you reply to them. He (I) gave fruit to a girl - she didn't even know that they came from a shrine at the time! It was fresh and there was no reason to let it go to waste:whistling:

What do you think happens to the offerings that are made at shrines throughout Thailand?

Actually, I have heard that previous civilisations used to sacrifice people and animals to the Gods, I guess we have moved on?

Edited by pnustedt

So he offered the girl leftover food that is normally fed to dogs...or chucked out....no wonder she was offended :o

it is considered offensive to take the food from the shrines....

No, read posts before you reply to them. He (I) gave fruit to a girl - she didn't even know that they came from a shrine at the time! It was fresh and there was no reason to let it go to waste:whistling:

What do you think happens to the offerings that are made at shrines throughout Thailand?

Actually, I have heard that previous civilisations used to sacrifice people and animals to the Gods, I guess we have moved on?

I read the post......when she found out where it came from she got upset....and rightly so...

Most times it is thrown out.....I have never seen anyone eat the food from a shrine.....to take it is offensive to most Thais....

some of us have moved on....some remain ignorant

Edited by gburns57au

There is nothing wrong with eating the food in a Wat after the offering but you DONT nick the stuff.That comes under the heading of...errr...stealing.

Usually its eaten by the local monks and if there is anything left over and in reasonably good condition its given to the "poor"people....big concept in Buddism.

n the past I often dossed down overnight in temples in the boonis(Cambodia) and the monks will always offer you some grub ....usually from the last nights offerings.

In fact last time i was down at our local in Sam Prat our old Head Monk has always got a different blend of tea on the go and I am always requested to taste it as well as pigging out whatever else is going. ...I know they want me to do a stint with a No1 haircut and the trendy gear but its still no way.....does my back in...

Re wife and me ..No prob...

she is a sincere Buddist and I am an un reconstructed Commi-Ex Papist Altar Boy...now Atheist...but cant seem to get away from that holy water they are always chucking at me...extra heavy blessing perhaps... :o

There is nothing wrong with eating the food in a Wat after the offering but you DONT nick the stuff.That comes under the heading of...errr...stealing.

Usually its eaten by the local monks and if there is anything left over and in reasonably good condition its given to the "poor"people....big concept in Buddism.

Interesting explanation. Could you pls explain the difference between my "nicking it" and the monks taking it to expand my enlightenment? BTW - there were no monks in my office and I understand that the shrines represent a Wat!

There is a correct way to remove offerings left at a shrine, and to consume them is absolutely fine. Thais do it all the time, one handy guide is to let the incense stick burn down before nabbing the goodies!

In reply to the OP: no, religious differences have never been an issue for us. Although I am an atheist I respect anybody who has faith.

I will accompany her to the temple and behave appropriately when required and I respect and admire the strength that my wife gets from her religious beliefs.

We have had in depth discussions regarding religion, she sees my point regarding all the murder, lies and suffering that the xtian system depends on and I see her points that are integral to her beliefs.

I think that the greatest problem here is that the xtian evangelists did their usual fudge job and classified Buddhism as a philosophy rather than a religion and so a new inquisition is not required, Buddhists can find redemption yet still remain true to their real beliefs and the church can extract its tithe from them..

Interesting explanation. Could you pls explain the difference between my "nicking it" and the monks taking it to expand my enlightenment? BTW - there were no monks in my office and I understand that the shrines represent a Wat!

I think he maybe on about the offerings of food to the Monks in the morning....that they eat and then others are invited to partake of whats left. After everyone has eaten, the scraps may then be fed to the local animals. Although "last nights offerings" confuses me as Monks do not accept alms or gifts after midday.

The shrines do not represent a Wat as such but are more or less an extension of the Wat...it is where they can deal with issues private or personal to them. The other part of it is that having a small shrine in a house or place of business will bring luck and good fortune to the place. Sometimes they are used as memorials to family members who have passed on. The amount of food left on these shrines usually amounts to tidbits. Taking something from these shrines is offensive as you are taking something that was offered to Buddha.

If you are talking about the larger shrines that are found around villages etc... then the same applies....you are taking something that was offered to Buddha...again an offensive act....the custodians of that shrine determine what happens to any offerings and when it happens. whether they throw it out or give it away is up to them...that is their duty and responsibilty.

By taking something that was offered in faith to Buddha you are showing disrespect.

I had more problems with my ex catholic good girl and her boozing mother. They started heading off to the local church and that was the start of a downhill slide in the marriage. suddenly I was heading for hel_l because I would never convert.

Now, my Thai wife has never even brought up the subject unless I ask a question. And I only ask after reading something I don't understand