Triple Entry Tourist Visa From The U.S.

Hi,

I'm flying to Bangkok in mid August and I would like to come on a triple entry tourist visa, if possible, to allow me the most time possible to stay there. I am coming from the east coast of the U.S. and I'm having a hard time figuring out what consulate is the best to try and obtain a triple entry visa if possible. I'll also be coming in on a one-way ticket and I know that may make a difference for some consulates in the States.

Does anyone have any experience obtaining a triple entry tourist visa from the honorary consulate generals in Atlanta, Miami, or anywhere really. I just need to get the ball rolling on this soon.

The Houston Consulate at one time used to give 3 entries but the last I know was 2 years ago. Maybe someone has dealt with them in the past year or less. You could give them a call and see if doing the 3 entry Visa. Was a woman there who processed the applications. Think her name was Sandra? Or something like that. Think the phone number goes to her desk.

Here's the info on the consulate:

The Honorable Charles C. Foster

Honorary Consul General of Thailand

600 Travis Street, Suite 2000

Houston, TX 77002

Telephone: 713-339-3901

Should not be a problem if you have a visa - IATA shows only for visa exempt entry is onward travel required.

List of honorary consulates in the US. http://thaiembdc.us/wordpress1/

Honorary consulates are more flexible and give quick turn around (same day at most) on mail in applications. Contact one of them to get your visa.

Thank you both VERY much! Much appreciated.

I'm in Texas and just got a double entry (that's all I needed) from the honorary consulate general in Dallas. Didn't need a plane ticket or specific travel plans, just a general idea of how long I'll stay. I think I could've gotten it on the same day if I came in the morning! So maybe the smaller honorary consulates are more lax. I would try one if those if you could.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update:

for anyone who is trying to get a tourist visa through the Atlanta Honorary Consulate, they require proof of onward travel. I guess I'll try Dallas or Portland, although the fedex will be more expensive, but oh well. Wonder why some consulates require this and some don't. The Portland one openly says on their website they don't require it for U.S. citizens.

Just to update:

for anyone who is trying to get a tourist visa through the Atlanta Honorary Consulate, they require proof of onward travel. I guess I'll try Dallas or Portland, although the fedex will be more expensive, but oh well. Wonder why some consulates require this and some don't. The Portland one openly says on their website they don't require it for U.S. citizens.

Same with Louisiana - proof of onward travel required.

Edited by uncrebel11

Portland, as has been mentioned several times on this forum, is probably the best consulate in the US for obtaining visas. If over 50, you can get a Non Imm O visa (for the purpose of retirement), multiple entry, if you wish, with a simple proof of financials. For a tourist visa, you can get 3 entries and 6-month validity period (maybe one-year, with a smooth talk....dunno). And, as said, no ticket proof required for US citizens.

As far as I know, Portland is the only US honorary consulate with their own website, which is pretty complete with info. Also, website has contact numbers and email address -- and any questions, in my experience, are handled expeditiously by Portland consulate's Mary Webster.

Mail applications are handled from anywhere within the US (no geographic restrictions). And, mail would be my first choice, even if I lived in Portland (no hassle of possibly two trips and finding parking). A trip to the post office with your filled-in Priority flat rate envelopes (to include return envelope), certified stickers (for tracking and delivery to your front door), and money order (you can send cash, but that has some drawbacks). Easy.

My only question related to their website is: Can Canadians apply from Canada? One quote says:

You must be physically in the United States at the time of application.

Another:

Canadian residents: Do not send Canadian currency money orders - all payments must be in US Dollars.

I guess, if I were Canadian and interested, Mary could amplify.

Hey original poster, I think I've got the answer you are looking for. I was living in michigan and submitted my triple entry tourist visa paperwork to the washington DC location. I got my passport back in the mail with triple entry thai visa in less than a week.

However, the lady did call me and say that I needed to include a letter on WHY I would be staying so long. I mailed that letter, but it was totally obvious that they APPROVED the visa and put it back in the mail my direction before I even mailed the letter. Cus I got the passport and visa returned to me the same day I mailed the letter. When the lady called to ask that I send the letter, she also stated something like "we dont really give triple entries without a special reason, so I'll have to ask my manager about this and call you back another day." But she never called back. Like I said, the visa just showed up a couple days later, hours after I mailed the letter.

To summarise, use the washington DC thai embassy but be ready for a little hasseling. I think the whole idea is they don't want people getting Thai visas to be such a breeze. They want you to sweat a little so that you'll respect it a little more. I've always got this feeling when it came to anything visa related with thailand. At the airport stamping, borders, etc. Still, they are great people and you're going to love this wonderful country.

Regarding the departure flight: The official rule is that you need proof you'll be leaving the country before the 60 days is up. I actually had a flight purchased and printed the receipt, but they didnt even look at it when I arrived at BKK. I heard sometimes they do, sometimes they dont. Gahh!

I have been using Portland for 4 years now with no problems whatsoever with Mary Wheeler. As mentioned in an earlier post I use the Non-O. I go into the office as parking is no problem where their office is and am in and out in 15 minutes with the visa. Before I got the non-O I used to get the 3 tourist visas and same thing in and out in 15 minutes. Usually I am the only one in the office at the time. She told me at one time that this Consulate is strictly a volunteer operation as her boss (The Consulate General) is a lawyer who handles some Thai business and she actually works for him. I have heard from some posters that the mailing in for the visa has been no problem, but I have never done that. Portland is a very friendly Consulate but be aware of her hours. Mon to Thurs from 9-11:30, closed Fridays.

Regarding the departure flight: The official rule is that you need proof you'll be leaving the country before the 60 days is up.

Not true - there is no requirement for any ticket at entry for travelers with a visa.

Hey original poster, I think I've got the answer you are looking for.....To summarise, use the washington DC thai embassy but be ready for a little hasseling.

Thanks for allowing the comparison between Washington and Portland, with the obvious answer for where to apply being Portland.

Not true - there is no requirement for any ticket at entry for travelers with a visa.

Right. It's not Immigration that wants to see a ticket, but MFA, at least at their official consulates. And even here, the guidance isn't consistent.

Thai Embassy Washington has the following requirement for a tourist visa:

A copy of round-trip ticket or itinerary

But Thai Consulate Los Angeles, ever anal, has the following tourist visa requirement:

copies of airline ticket

(confirmed onward ticket – showing flights into and out of Thailand. Either paper ticket or confirmed e-ticket is acceptable. Itinerary is NOT accepted. If applying for 2 entries, ticket must show 2 entries into Thailand.

And, as they do allow three entries per tourist visa, presumably a third airline entry would be needed (but it also appears the tourist visa would still only be valid for 3 months, making that third entry rather dubious).

And, as has been shown, even some (most?) of the honorary consulates, encouraged by their MFA sponsors, are requiring ticket proof for tourist visa applications.

But, again -- Portland does not require tickets -- and their three entry tourist visa is good for 6 months.

The obvious winner is...... duh.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got the tourist visa by mailing my documents to Portland. So easy, no hassle, one day processing time, and best of all NO RETURN TICKET NEEDED.

Now, the airline is my next concern. I don't want to get to the airport and not be able to board the plane. This happened to me last summer when I flew to Honduras to work and I don't want it to happen again (buying a "refundable" return ticket that was a b*tch to actually get a refund).

Does anyone have any official documentation stating that travelers who already have a visa in their passports do not need proof of onward travel when they arrive in Thailand? I'm flying with American Airlines, by the way, and I don't know what they're deal is but I want to be able to show the person at the counter something if they try to tell me I can't board.

To summarise, use the washington DC thai embassy but be ready for a little hasseling. I think the whole idea is they don't want people getting Thai visas to be such a breeze. They want you to sweat a little so that you'll respect it a little more.

This is horrible advice. Why would you tell someone to "sweat a little" instead of doing something far easier and getting the same result?

• Like 1

So I got the tourist visa by mailing my documents to Portland. So easy, no hassle, one day processing time, and best of all NO RETURN TICKET NEEDED.

Now, the airline is my next concern. I don't want to get to the airport and not be able to board the plane. This happened to me last summer when I flew to Honduras to work and I don't want it to happen again (buying a "refundable" return ticket that was a b*tch to actually get a refund).

Does anyone have any official documentation stating that travelers who already have a visa in their passports do not need proof of onward travel when they arrive in Thailand? I'm flying with American Airlines, by the way, and I don't know what they're deal is but I want to be able to show the person at the counter something if they try to tell me I can't board.

IATA data for Thailand clearly says onward ticket required for visa exempt entry - there is no such requirement unless stated. You can check on the Delta Airlines link below.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

Edited by Maestro
updated link

IATA data for Thailand clearly says onward ticket required for visa exempt entry - there is no such requirement unless stated. You can check on the Delta Airlines link below.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

Thank you.

Edited by Maestro
updated link

Honorary Consulate Forrest Smith in Dallas TX. He is very professional and straightforward with paperwork requirements. The same, if not more, than Portland. Although good to know of other efficient consulates.

He prefers email (only call if you absolutely have to) and he will reply from his smartphone answering any questions. I have email, but you should be able to email from his law firm's website. I think forrest still does non-o for visiting friends. You'd need a letter from thai national.

Why not go for the Non-O, Non-ed, or Non-B multiple entry visa vs Triple (or any) entry Tourist visa. Once you get past even 1 entry for Tourist visa, it would seem to make more sense to opt for the non-immigrant.

Honorary Consulate Forrest Smith in Dallas TX. He is very professional and straightforward with paperwork requirements. The same, if not more, than Portland. Although good to know of other efficient consulates.

He prefers email (only call if you absolutely have to) and he will reply from his smartphone answering any questions. I have email, but you should be able to email from his law firm's website. I think forrest still does non-o for visiting friends. You'd need a letter from thai national.

Why not go for the Non-O, Non-ed, or Non-B multiple entry visa vs Triple (or any) entry Tourist visa. Once you get past even 1 entry for Tourist visa, it would seem to make more sense to opt for the non-immigrant.

I was under the impression you need a job offer for a Non-B visa. I don't have one yet. That's why I have a tourist visa.