London Olympics

^^ Well said Mossfin ...

As the Aussie who started this thread ... I have tried to show the Poms in the best light and focus on your Nation, because you are the Host of the Olympics.

As Aussies, we love nothing more then engaging in banter and sparring with both you guys and the KIWIS

... but the Olympics raise above this.

This is the time to celebrate your Nations successes ... and I acknowledge TEAM GB's great success to date.

I hope personally that the spirit of the Olympics can filter down to the 'average' couch potato and then can try something new in the sporting Arena or rediscover a love of sport.

Several of the couch potatoes on this thread have shown they have no knowledge of sport at all and are only capable of throwing insults at Australians thereby proving my words earlier.wink.png

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Brits have always been good losers (loosers?), and gracious winners.dry.png

Why are you lot so crap at cricket btw?

The answer to that question is complex and manifest. Several of us predicted this day of Australian cricket decline before the turn of the century.

However this is an Olympic thread so we should get back to the horse dancing, the pajama top ripping competition and the never ending shuttlecock.

^^ Well said Mossfin ...

As the Aussie who started this thread ... I have tried to show the Poms in the best light and focus on your Nation, because you are the Host of the Olympics.

As Aussies, we love nothing more then engaging in banter and sparring with both you guys and the KIWIS

This is the time to celebrate your Nations successes ... and I acknowledge TEAM GB's great success to date.

I hope personally that the spirit of the Olympics can filter down to the 'average' couch potato and then can try something new in the sporting Arena or rediscover a love of sport.

Several of the couch potatoes on this thread have shown they have no knowledge of sport at all and are only capable of throwing insults at Australians thereby proving my words earlier.wink.png

You are still the best at australian rules football!

^^ Well said Mossfin ...

Exactly; if there were gold medals for couch potatoes, and the ignorant tossers, we'd win those as well.

SC

Andy Murray goes for Olympic gold against Federer

post-104736-0-48667800-1344137283_thumb.

This has to be one of the juiciest rematches considering that it will be played at Wimbledon.

post-104736-0-98289700-1344137274_thumb. . post-104736-0-60991600-1344137273_thumb.

The Scot set himself up for the Federer rematch by beating Novak Djokovic in straight sets in Friday's semi-final.

Where is smokie36?

• Like 1

A special mention goes to New Zealand for its fine cameo performance so far: 3 gold and 4 bronze medals in the rowing, equestrian and cycling events.

I note that each medal has been won sitting on their arse*s

For the moment New Zealand is out shining Australia .. though the tables maybe turned by the time the fat lady sings.

The Scottish Question ...

Meanwhile, Scotland's sports minister said Scots Olympians were inspiring the next generation of sportsmen and women. Shona Robison MSP said the achievements of Scotland's medal winners were "firing even more young minds" to achieve all they can in their sport.

In the past week cyclist Sir Chris Hoy, rowers Heather Stanning and Katherine Grainger and canoeist Tim Baillie have all won gold at the London Games.

Glaswegian swimmer Michael Jamieson, Aberdonian canoeist David Florence and Daniel Purvis, a gymnast from Dundee, also secured two silvers and a bronze for Team GB.

Ms Robison said: "I have been lucky enough this week to see some outstanding Team GB performances and see Scottish athletes bring in medals day after day.

More Here

Andy Murray goes for Olympic gold against Federer

This has to be one of the juiciest rematches considering that it will be played at Wimbledon.

The Scot set himself up for the Federer rematch by beating Novak Djokovic in straight sets in Friday's semi-final.

Where is smokie36?

I'm not sure of the relative timing of the two events, but Let's hope Murray will not be weighed down by the Mixed-Doubles medal he'll have already won.

SC

Meanwhile, Scotland's sports minister said Scots Olympians were inspiring the next generation of sportsmen and women. Shona Robison MSP said the achievements of Scotland's medal winners were "firing even more young minds" to achieve all they can in their sport.

In the past week cyclist Sir Chris Hoy, rowers Heather Stanning and Katherine Grainger and canoeist Tim Baillie have all won gold at the London Games.

Glaswegian swimmer Michael Jamieson, Aberdonian canoeist David Florence and Daniel Purvis, a gymnast from Dundee, also secured two silvers and a bronze for Team GB.

Ms Robison said: "I have been lucky enough this week to see some outstanding Team GB performances and see Scottish athletes bring in medals day after day.

More Here

I hope it has reminded us all that we are as British as the next man. Our great success is not due to a sudden change in the capabilities of Scottish athletes, but a change in the approach of the British teams - a far more focussed and professional approach to coaching winners, as the Australians and South Africans and New Zealanders have had for some time.

I wonder how many of the medals have been won by guys like Wiggins, Murray, who are the best at their sports, and how many by athletes who have performed beyond their capabilities, who have been driven on by the occasion, the support of the crowd, to win through faith and determination, as well as their own talent and skill?

SC

• Like 2

Murray and Robson going for gold

post-104736-0-24982100-1344138233_thumb.

Andy Murray will play for two gold medals tomorrow after he and Laura Robson brilliantly won a Mixed Doubles semi-final for Great Britain against Germans Christopher Kas and Sabine Lisicki.

HERE

More Here

I hope it has reminded us all that we are as British as the next man. Our great success is not due to a sudden change in the capabilities of Scottish athletes, but a change in the approach of the British teams - a far more focussed and professional approach to coaching winners, as the Australians and South Africans and New Zealanders have had for some time.

I wonder how many of the medals have been won by guys like Wiggins, Murray, who are the best at their sports, and how many by athletes who have performed beyond their capabilities, who have been driven on by the occasion, the support of the crowd, to win through faith and determination, as well as their own talent and skill?

SC

I think money also has a lot to do with it. When you have a home games, money seems to be unlimited, as we found out in 2000. Without the worry of working, etc, atheletes can devote more to their sport.

Australian funding has declined since then, as has performance.

The best coaches also make a big difference. Australian swimming coaches were offered huge sums to help other countries after Sydney, but the current main coach seems to be a different class. He's copping a lot of critism for his lenient attitude to petulant kid swimmers. Unfortunately, he has a contract through to 2016.

Why doesn't England compete as a seperate entity without the Scots there to boost their stocks, the same as it does in the Commonwealth Games?

What happens if Scotland jumps out of the Kingdom in a few years?smile.png

I am an American and admit I am caught up in the medal count race and seem to dread seeing the Chinese athletes win out in badminton, table tennis, diving, etc. And when watching weightlifting, I was pulling for a Thai lifter to get a medal. But when the young Chinese guy dislocated his elbow in the snatch, then went out to make a valid lift in the clean and jerk in tremendous pain in order to get the silver, well, that is what makes the Olympics what they are. I had to cheer that effort.

I have two very enduring Olympic memories. The first was sitting next to the father of a French canoeist as she was in an early first place, then slipped to second, then to bronze as the world champion came up. The champion faltered, and the French girl got the bronze. We were all jumping up and down like idiots as if it was our medal. Then sitting in the middle of a bunch of Indians in a field hockey match, shouting cheers in Hindi (none of which I had the slightest idea as to their meaning), I was struck by just how international sports really are.

• Like 1

More Here

SC

I think money also has a lot to do with it. When you have a home games, money seems to be unlimited, as we found out in 2000. Without the worry of working, etc, atheletes can devote more to their sport.

Australian funding has declined since then, as has performance.

The best coaches also make a big difference. Australian swimming coaches were offered huge sums to help other countries after Sydney, but the current main coach seems to be a different class. He's copping a lot of critism for his lenient attitude to petulant kid swimmers. Unfortunately, he has a contract through to 2016.

Why doesn't England compete as a seperate entity without the Scots there to boost their stocks, the same as it does in the Commonwealth Games?

What happens if Scotland jumps out of the Kingdom in a few years?smile.png

Then we would lose the benefit of being part of a professional and well-funded team. I think that being part of a slightly smaller team, with a few less world-class performers, the English athletes would not be spurred on to such great achievements, and the Scottish athletes would flounder. Separately, I think we would win less medals in aggregate than we win as a team, despite possibly putting forward more athletes.

SC

Check out Ennis' understudy. She may be a Scouser and probably smells of vinegar but blimey, if I was 20 years younger and handsome.....

Katarina-Johnson-Thompson-008.jpg

Wrong,she's

Not a scouser , she' from Sheffield, Yorkshire.

Only one thing wrong with her, she supports Sheffield United.

Good post S/c

I would like to point out to you, the one area of GB that had produced the most medals is Yorkshire, population approx the same as Scotland, So what, we are all British and equal, the only difference is that the Scots are for ever blowing their own trumpet.

More Here

SC

More Here

There is no scottish 'question' save the one the odd individual are trying to create.

Team GB is just what its supposed to be and medals have been one won evenly across the board.

Check out Ennis' understudy. She may be a Scouser and probably smells of vinegar but blimey, if I was 20 years younger and handsome.....

Katarina-Johnson-Thompson-008.jpg

Wrong,she's

Not a scouser , she' from Sheffield, Yorkshire.

Only one thing wrong with her, she supports Sheffield United.

Her name is Katarina Johnson-Thompson and she is a Scouser. Jessica Ennis is from Sheffield.

Personally I wouldn't chuck either of them or the 3rd British mixed race Heptathlete Louise Hazel out of bed.

louise-hazel1.jpg

• Like 1

Well, the men's 100 metres final is soon to start.

I still remember when I first saw Usain Bolt run.

There are some sporting moments that stay with.

Billy Slater with a try at Lang Park for Queensland in a thrilling 16-12 victory over NSW in the State of Origin series opener at Lang Park.

George Gregan's famous tackle on New Zealand's Jeff Wilson in 1994 which allowed the Wallibies to progress to the Final.

... and the first time I watched Usain Bolt fly and break the World Record.

I just hope no-one breaks and is disqualified.

Edited by David48

He didn't dissapoint.

post-104736-0-95626700-1344203480_thumb.

Athlete # 2170 Usain Bolt, who set the track world on fire four years ago with a dominant performance at the Beijing Olympics, has done it again in London.

New Olympic Record.

post-104736-0-31609100-1344203482_thumb.

Seven of the sprint Champions ran under 10 secs.

Unfotunatly fellow Jamaican Asafa Powell pulled up lame about the 50 metre mark.

Men's 100m Final Results

Wind: 1.5 m/s

...............................................React............Result

medal_gold.gif OR.....Usain Bolt..... .........0.165....... ....9.63

medal_silver.gif...........Yohan Blake.............0.179...... .....9.75

medal_bronze.gif...........Justin Gatlin..............0.178....... ....9.79

.4...... ....Tyson Gay ...... ........0.145..... ......9.80

.5............Ryan Bailey...............0.176............9.88

.6............Churandy Martina.....0.139............9.94

.7............Richard Thompson...0.160............9.98

.8............Asafa Powell.............0.155..........11.99

EDIT ... added photos

Edited by David48

I just watched a re-run of the badminton men's final

15 - 21 21-10 21-19 to Dan Lin over Lee Choong Wei - a heart-breaking defeat for Cjoong Wei after being two points ahead with three to go...

I'm glad I didn't watch it in the pub - the noise would have been deafening

SC

TEAM GB Soccer

post-104736-0-37127600-1344232038_thumb.

Olympic Soccer TEAM GB warm up game Great Britain vs United Arab Emirates

I'm not a Soccer Head ... but I know many here are.

So for those directly interested in the game here is the Forum's Britain'S Olympic Football Thread ... thankfully not lead by me because I would have no idea ... tongue.png

Edited by David48