London Olympics

Some Olympians compete on four legs

I was watching last night the Cross Country eventing and it was great.

Don't go much for the Dressage pomp and ceremony but watching the horse and rider tackle the obstacle was enjoyable ...

post-104736-0-80052800-1343718304_thumb.

London Olympics Cross Country OBSTACLE

post-104736-0-90539800-1343718315_thumb.

Sometimes the rider urges on but the horse makes the final decision and says no!

Aurelien Kahn of France rides Cadiz

post-104736-0-09575500-1343718302_thumb.

But the next house says OK

Michael Ryan of Ireland rides Ballylynch Adventure

post-104736-0-32432700-1343718313_thumb.

The same Obstacle from a wider perspective.

Alexander Peternell, from Russia, rides Asih

post-104736-0-58514700-1343718309_thumb.

London Olympics Cross Country

Zara Phillips of Great Britain rides High Kingdom

I was surprised to learn that similarly as a Soccer Player has tags or sprigs in his boot, so does the horse have for these style of events.

Just some great images

These photos and more here

Team Great Britain produced a heroic day of cross-country on their home soil with their countrymen cheering on. The British finished the day with all five riders home clean and three coming home inside the time (Tina Cook, Nicola Wilson, and Zara Phillips). Imperial Cavalier was extremely strong in the bit for Mary but she fought her way around valiantly for just 1.2 penalties. William Fox-Pitt rode beautifully but Lionheart became exhausted towards the end of the course and it was all William could do to get home with 9.2 time penalties. Team GBR added just 10.4 penalties for all five of their riders combined, which was better than most single riders added. Great Britain closed the gap to overnight leading Germany from 8.9 to 5.5 points and moved from bronze to silver position.

Lots more here

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm watching the men's skeet shooting and although it's in HD I can only see puffs of pink when they hit them,they sometimes show them being fired and you get to see them then.

Is this really a great spectator sport I ask ?

I may change over very soon to something else.

I'm watching the men's skeet shooting and although it's in HD I can only see puffs of pink when they hit them,they sometimes show them being fired and you get to see them then.

Is this really a great spectator sport I ask ?

I may change over very soon to something else.

You should be watching the Ladies Beach Volleyball. Germany saved nine match points to win the second set, and its neck and neck in the third.

I've changed over to watch young Andy Murray in the tennis, although I'm tempted to watch the 2-2 Kitchee Arsenal game from Caroline Hill Road in Hong Kong. I really feel spoilt for sport here; I earlier watched a repeat of last night's Wakefield win over Leeds, and in the small hours of next Tuesday morning I can look forward to Warrington at St Helens

Back on topic, it would be nice to see a bit of the sailing; and I suppose I should've been following the rowing

SC

• Like 1

The Thais take their first medal of the games with a silver in the woman's weightlifting,it's been decent viewing to be honest,with a possible world record attempt now.

My wife, Thai, couldn't believe she was looking at a lady when I called her from watching her soap to see the silver medal winning lift.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

We have 2 dedicated BBC Olympic channels on Thai Expat TV that are only here for the Olympics!

Along with BBC1, BBC2, BBC3 and Olympics 1 we have total coverage for the Olympics right here on Thai Expat TV.

Sign up today for a totally FREE 2 day trial (windows PC only) here: https://www.thaiexpa.../free_trial.php

We have both a software player that can be installed on ANY windows PC or a dedicated Set Top Box that can be plugged directly into any modem and TV.

https://www.youtube....h?v=mnnVQaMeZWA

If you have any questions regarding our service, please submit a support ticket directly from the website.

Hope all is well!

Many Thanks,

Admin @ Thai Expat TV

www.thaiexpat.tv

I just got sent this yesterday, not sure if it has reached TV as yet:

"The head of the Somali Olympic Squad has apologised to officials on behalf of their team after realizing that shooting and sailing were two separate events."

• Like 1

In the past, based on the relatively small population of Australia and what we consider our strong sporting heritage we have typically 'punched above our weight'.

Being a nation of roughly 20 million odd we finished 6th on the Medal Tally

Medal Tally here

This Olympics is being forecast to be no where that expectation.

A panel discuss Australia's medal hopes here.

As a proud Australian, we did very well at Beijing

Australia: Population 21 mil. 14 gold medals equals about 1.5 mil. people per gold medal

Let's not forget Jamaica's performance: Population 3 mil 6 gold medals equals about 500 thousand people per gold medal

Go Usain!

Badminton doubles descend into farce as Chinese and South Koreans try to lose

UPDATED: EIGHT women badminton players were charged by the sport's governing body today with "not using one's best efforts to win a match" after two matches at the Olympics ended in controversy.

Four pairs in the women's doubles competition - one from China, one from Indonesia and two from South Korea - could face disciplinary action after the Badminton World Federation took action.

In scenes of confusion at Wembley Arena on Tuesday, the players in two matches were booed off court after they appeared to deliberately serve into the net, or hit the shuttlecock long or wide. more......

I have

looked on this youtube channel but I can not find this game, anyone have link?

Edited by mozzieslapper

As an aside:

The 1940 Olympic Games were awarded to Japan, why did they not take place there?

I'm not sure if that was a trick question Mossfinn..........but if the 1940 WWII Games did go ahead, probably every country except Germany and Italy would have boycotted.

couldn't have scripted it better. just like London buses, you wait for one and two come along !

well done Wiggo !

so proud to be a Brit, an Englishman and most of all a Londoner !

Wiggins had an Australian father.

(such as he was)

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

Those who think that congestion will be a problem at the Olympics, don't know London. August is traditionally the holiday period three and many of the streets outside the tourist centres are deserted.

If anyone can cope with "terrorism" - it is London.

(My experience in Sydney was it so unprepared it was astounding)

Weather - athletes have had several years to prepare for the weather....just part of their preparation.

Queen looked a bit grumpy and ruffled - then that was probably due to the parachute jump?

THe Brits deserve to be congratulated on the opening ceremony.

In contrast to IOC, Lord Coe and Co. rather than a succession of quasi military marching bands and pompous dignitaries, Danny Boyle has concentrated on UK achievements, working people and a society that at least TRIES historically to care.

I noticed they even included a couple of bars from "God Save the Queen" by the Sex Pistols

Particularly liked the tribute to the NHS.

• Like 1

couldn't have scripted it better. just like London buses, you wait for one and two come along !

well done Wiggo !

(such as he was)

yes indeed he did and if i am not mistaken, did a runner back to Oz when he was two years of age ! whistling.gifbiggrin.png

Edited by tigerfish

well done Wiggo !

(such as he was)

yes indeed he did and if i am not mistaken, did a runner back to Oz when he was two years of age ! whistling.gifbiggrin.png

Yes, who knows why.

He was a former champion cyclist in the 70s and 80s, perhaps where Bradley inherited his riding prowess.

He ended up as a hopeless drunk who was apparently murdered in 2008. No one was ever charged.

Mens Canoe Slalom C2

Gold and Silver just went to the Poms, the beat the Shalvlouna twins.

Congrats to the Poms.

Peter Wilson, another Pommie just got Gold in the mens double trap, clay pidgoen shooting. Looks like a really young chap.

Edited by mozzieslapper
  • Like 2

well done Wiggo !

(such as he was)

And he was born in Belgium

As an aside:

The 1940 Olympic Games were awarded to Japan, why did they not take place there?

I'm not sure if that was a trick question Mossfinn..........but if the 1940 WWII Games did go ahead, probably every country except Germany and Italy would have boycotted.

Yes it was a trick question, I expected someone to say it was because of WW2, but although they had been awarded the games they pulled out for political reasons and it was awarded to Helsinki, which of course didn't take place because of the war.

Here's another one just for fun, which was the first country to boycott the Games?

As an aside:

Yes it was a trick question, I expected someone to say it was because of WW2, but although they had been awarded the games they pulled out for political reasons and it was awarded to Helsinki, which of course didn't take place because of the war.

Here's another one just for fun, which was the first country to boycott the Games?

I was going to suggest USA from the Moscow games, but on reflection, I think there were some countries boycotting from Melbourne in 1956 because of the Soviets invasion of Hungary. Without looking it up I don't know which countries, although I know Hungary was there because of their infamous "bloodbath" water polo match with Russia.

Did everyone go to the Berlin games just before the war?

Knowing you Moss, the answer is probably something like Sparta!

Edited by Old Croc

1956 Melbourne

Lichtenstein, the Netherlands, Spain, and Sweden boycotted the games in protest of the Soviet invasion of Hungary. Egypt, Lebanon, and Iraq also boycotted as a result of the Suez crisis. The People's Republic of China refused to participate due to the inclusion of the Republic of China (Taiwan).

1964 Tokyo

South Africa was banned by the IOC from taking part due to its oppressive apartheid regime. This ban lasted until 1992.

1968 Mexico City

In Mexico City, 10 days before the Olympics began, students protesting against the government were surrounded by the army who opened fire, killing 267 and injuring more than 1,000. During the Games, American athletes Tommie Smith and John Carlos were expelled for raising their fists in a "black power" salute on the winners' podium.

1972 Munich

11 Israeli athletes were taken hostage by Palestinian terrorists 'Black September', to protest against the holding of 234 Palestinian prisoners in Israel. The terrorists murdered two of their captives, then, as the result of a bungled rescue attempt by the authorities, the remaining nine captives were killed alongside three of their captors.

1976 Montreal

At the 1976 Games 26 African countries boycotted in response to New Zealand's participation. Earlier that year a New Zealand team had undertaken a three-month rugby tour of segregated South Africa, but the IOC refused to ban them. Egypt competed for the first three days of the Games before withdrawing in support of the boycott by most other African nations. The Republic of China (Taiwan) team was also barred from entering the country, then allowed to enter if they agreed not to compete as "the Republic of China"; the Taiwanese considered this unacceptable and withdrew.

1980 Moscow

Due to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, President Carter called upon the U.S. Olympic Committee to boycott the Games. The Olympic Charter requires such committees to "resist all pressures of any kind whatsoever, whether of a political, religious or economic nature," but theory and practice diverge. The Americans stayed home, and in total 62 countries including West Germany and Japan refused to attend. In all, 80 nations participated in the Games, down from 122 nations in Munich. The USSR won 195 medals, but allegations of cheating tainted this astonishing result.

1984 Los Angeles

14 countries, including the USSR, boycotted the Games in what was widely seen as revenge for the Moscow Games four years earlier, though the official line was that they had security concerns. Ironically, China chose this year to return to the Games after a 32-year absence.

1988 Seoul

After failing to be recognized as co-host of the Games, North Korea (which was still technically at war with the South) boycotted the Games, with Cuba and Ethiopia joining them in solidarity. However there were no widespread boycotts for the first time since 1972.

1992 Barcelona

It was a rare Olympic games with no boycotts. The Soviet Union had broken up, and the new Russian republics competed under one banner (
). The Berlin Wall had been torn down - so East and West Germany competed together as a united country. South Africa returned to the Games after the end of apartheid and 32 years of sporting isolation.

2008 Beijing

There was talk of a boycott to the Beijing Olympic Games due to China's treatment of the Tibetan people, and other human rights abuses, though no major protest eventuated.

Note:

The 1916 Summer Olympics were cancelled due to World War I.

The 1940 Winter Olympics, 1940 Summer Olympics, 1944 Winter Olympics, and 1944 Summer Olympics were cancelled due to World War II.

Edited by mozzieslapper
  • Like 1

As an aside:

I was going to suggest USA from the Moscow games, but on reflection, I think there were some countries boycotting from Melbourne in 1956 because of the Soviets invasion of Hungary. Without looking it up I don't know which countries, although I know Hungary was there because of their infamous "bloodbath" water polo match with Russia.

Did everyone go to the Berlin games just before the war?

Knowing you Moss, the answer is probably something like Sparta!

Yes! Yes! It was Sparta, in the 54BC Games in Olympia (maybe).

These were the same Games I believe that Asterix the Gaul competed in. Some of the Roman athletes drank magic potion before a race that Getafix the Druid had prepared, and all were subsequently disqualified. First recorded cases of illegal doping.

post-157796-0-90679100-1343971418_thumb.

Edited by Radar501