Old Focus Or New Focus?

Ok guys, whats the difference between the 2?? as my local dealer is offering a great deal for the "old focus" - but i would really like to get a Diesel model, but its not possible.

Also a few questions to current onwers -

How is fuel consumption?

MAjor pros & cons?

Servicing issues?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife has the "old Focus" but it is the TDCi (diesel) version. It is a good car, great handling, fun to drive, but the interior layout and features are probably a bit out of date by current standards. We really bought the car (basically my encouragement) for the engine and transmission as I have always been a fan of the Ford/PSA diesels and the dual clutch transmission, which for me more than make up for the dated interior.

With the "old" petrol version you still get a good handling car but the engine and transmission are also quite dated. That version of the 2 litre engine has been around for a while and it only comes with a 4 speed torque converter transmission.

There have been some quality issues with the Philippine made Focus and we ouselves had to actually send one back to Ford for a replacement vehicle before getting a good one.

The new Focus is made in Thailand which I am told should ensure better quality. The new one comes with lots of tricks such as park assist, voice activated systems, some sort of active stop system, so seems very well equiped. The new engine is GDI (gasoline direct injection) and is reported to be quite good and econimical, and I think it now comes with the 6 speed powershift which I think is the dual clutch unit.

Have not sat in the new model yet but I hear it is a little more spacious. Reports I have read say that it is still a sweet handling car but maybe not quite as sharp as the old model.

Still no sign of the diesel being marketed in Thailand with the new Focus. They are manufacturing them here for export but it seems they are at least starting off just with the GDI.

Personally I would wait for the new model as it should be a good leap forward over the old petrol model. We jumped in early specifically because we wanted the diesel and needed a new car at that time.

Ford dealers and servicing are a bit hit and miss, definitely stay away from the one on Rama 4 in Bangkok.

Basically, the new Focus 2.0 model will start at 1.079.000 THB. The 1.6 is not scheduled before January and will cost 759.000 THB for manual and 799.000 THB for automatic.

If you can wait until January, it might be worth expecting the 1.6 (although I keep in mind the comments on the Mazda 3 1.6: motor has difficulty with the weight of the car).

The pricing left me a bit questioning: is the new focus not going to cannibalize the sales of the top of the line Fiesta (also 759.000 THB).

Maybe, in marketing terms, they are sufficiently differentiated by targeting a different public. Thai ladies will certainly love the little toy and its ease of driving. The motor makes itself heard quite easily though... So not sure how it fares at greater speeds.

Side note: I had a test drive in the Ford Fiesta this Sunday... I was totally put off by the steering wheel... Turns around asif you had a toy car. Very easy to park, that is granted. But I am not sure I would feel safe with this "toy" on the motorway.

Thanks for the feedback, I dont think I can wait for Jan and the price now for the old focus is quite appealing as to is the instant availability. I would love the Diesel version, as this is a great car but cest la vie. I need to go test drive I guess, but the new Fiesta looks very tidy and again is instantly available

Fiesta is not quite "instantly available". Ford HQ mentions 1 month waiting period. The old focus is available within. .. 1 day at some dealers, depending on the color retained. But test drive both one after the other to make up your mind. Mine is made about one of them: no Fiesta! is:D

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

I have had the "old" Focus TDCI since December and am still enjoying it.

Around town I generally get 7-8l/100km but ob a long run its not dificult to get that down to 5.5, though I do wish you could change the display to be km/ltr.

As above interior is OK with a couple of nice toches auto lights , wipers ,mirror and climate control. But the audio head unit really lacks a usb port.

I also bought it for the engine transmission package and for these features its great.

I understand the petrol version is very thirsty.

I hear that the TDCI "new" version will be around in about 2 years, so just nice time to trade.

In Phuket, colour depending again, they have stock of Fiesta & for "normal colour" ( not sure what he meant) delivery around a week. But will depend on drive & price also in the end.

Thanks again for eveyone feedback, I was set to get another Jazz but 4-8 months waiting coupled with a rude, innept BB touting imbecile at the dealership will keep me away forever!

To quote a poster (Big Guns) on the "Thailand - Land of Hot Hatches" thread"

"The top model Focus Sport+ which I've now ordered comes with the full spec of the Australian model as standard i.e it also includes the sunroof, Xenons, cruise, City stop and the self parking system. It has 17 inch wheels not the Aussie models 18 inchers. The wife's new Focus arrives 1st week in August".

It sounds like they will start rolling out well before January, at least in the 2 litre GDI version which I think starts at 969,000 baht. Officially they are supposed to be in showrooms in August and they have just finished showing them in various places around the country. I am guessing Big Guns ordered very early and not sure what the waiting list is like now. May be at least worth inquiring about!!

Yes the deliveries for customers who ordered at the Bangkok motor show start in early August. The Focus 2000cc starts at 969,000 THB. The old Focus has an appealing price but thats about it. At the end of the day 850,000 is still a large chunk of change and when you see the new one you'll be gutted. The 969,000 THB version has a 6 speed dual clutch gear box, bluetooth which synchs with your phone, 170 bhp engine, 4 airbags. If it was me I'd wait for the new version

Also 850000 is about my limit for budget to be honest, perhaps the top fiesta and keep some cash.......

Another solution: they have the Focus 1.8 L available in BKK at 819.000 (scratch about 10 K in negotiations, and that would make it 810-800 K with luck). A better car for the buck, and less of that flimsy steering, I guess... The difference is minimum with your Fiesta (ok, maybe not leather seats and gadgets, LOL).

The top Fiesta, Sport Ultimate is a really nice car. I almost bought it for my wife but we wanted something with a bit more room. For me personally if I bought the old Focus I'd regret it when I saw the new one drive by.

Does anyone know if the TDCi is still available anywhere???

I've only seen the Sport which was I thnk 850 000 Baht.

The TDCI was 999 000 if I remember anyway.

I agree with the others, the old model is nice but very

dated. IMO, you would have to be getting a sensational

deal to consider the old one.

Regards

Will

Does anyone know if the TDCi is still available anywhere???

I've only seen the Sport which was I thnk 850 000 Baht.

The TDCI was 999 000 if I remember anyway.

I agree with the others, the old model is nice but very

dated. IMO, you would have to be getting a sensational

deal to consider the old one.

Regards

Will

Yes that is correct the run-out price for the TDCi was 999,000 baht. My replacement car (to replace the dodgy one that was delivered in late 2011) was added to the last shippment of Focus to Thailand which wasin late February. I am pretty sure that all the diesels were already spoken for.

HMMMMM even more to think about, but will make a test drive later this week hopefully! The irony is we need a car for the wet season & now its raining constantly in Phuket I cant get to the delaership on the scooter due to the rain! :)

The wife is leaning towards the fiesta it seems, after she actually understood the waiting time for the Jazz, and with the govt rebate I think this mayeb an unbeatable deal for us?

HMMMMM even more to think about, but will make a test drive later this week hopefully! The irony is we need a car for the wet season & now its raining constantly in Phuket I cant get to the delaership on the scooter due to the rain! smile.png

The wife is leaning towards the fiesta it seems, after she actually understood the waiting time for the Jazz, and with the govt rebate I think this mayeb an unbeatable deal for us?

Not sure you qualify for the rebate with the Fiesta. Only the 1.4 L basic models would qualify (549 K MT to 584 K for AT). The top of the range at 759 K would not as the motor is a 1.6 L.

HMMMMM even more to think about, but will make a test drive later this week hopefully! The irony is we need a car for the wet season & now its raining constantly in Phuket I cant get to the delaership on the scooter due to the rain! smile.png

Not sure you qualify for the rebate with the Fiesta. Only the 1.4 L basic models would qualify (549 K MT to 584 K for AT). The top of the range at 759 K would not as the motor is a 1.6 L.

but there are the 1.5 models now including the 1.5L Sport if you want the rebate.

Further points about the older Focus raised by an owner (also my driving school teacher, btw):

"the Sport +2.0 current model is the best deal in terms of price, engine capacity and safety features. The Focus itself provides more stability and firm suspension comparing to other cars in the same segment.

Three unsatisfactory points:

a. fuel consumption is not very effective approx. 8-10 km./L in city driving and 14 km./L in country driving

b. the noise of the brake, I always hear the noise when applying foot brake and the service center cannot fix this. There are complaints from many customers especially the ones who bought the first model from 2005-2007. I am not sure if the later model from 2008-present have been fixed on this problem

c. part prices are much higher comparing to Japanese cars like Toyota, Mitsubishi and Nissan."

Food for thought?

• Like 1

Hey eaustev,

Glad to know that you are enjoying your car!

I have pretty much the same observations and also bought this for my wife against her preference for a jazz/city/civic because of the diesel engine and 6 speed dual clutch powershift. In my opinion, it drives much better than the similarly priced 2.0 civics or altises.

Also understand that the tdci sold out in Jan/Feb and there still are a number of the petrols left over... Some of these were apparently then given to some of the lower level management staff at Ford as company cars.

The best I have managed to wrangle from my tdci is around 6.5l/100km, which i understand should improve as my mileage goes up (less than 4000 km at the moment).

Ok after a few test drives, I think we will be choosing the FIESTA! The mrs loved it, and got a great deal with onyl 3-5 days delivery. In fact they have the colour we like already, but needed a few extras bolted on so we could drive the car away today or wait for the added extras to come and take delivery later this week.

BUT just had a call about an ex-demonstration ranger at almost the same money so......whistling.gif

Did a bit more research & the feedback from the old focus is somewhat worrying -

Yeah, gas consumption is pretty hefty... Furthermore, on safety issues a car is bound to perform badly against a SUV/pickup. Or are you thinking about something else?

Just seen 2 truckloads of new Focuses hurtling thru Isaan. I am also considering going for the new 'older' model as many of the gizmo's like park assist seem too much like an unnecessary gimick to me.

Sure they have bolted on extra's to sell the 'old' version but many road report indicate that its a good car.

Disregarded the Fiesta 1.6 Ultimate for the same reasons as new focus plus its just too small inside too.

Did a bit more research & the feedback from the old focus is somewhat worrying -

Yeah, gas consumption is pretty hefty... Furthermore, on safety issues a car is bound to perform badly against a SUV/pickup. Or are you thinking about something else?

Well my local dealer has given me a great deal on an ex-demo top Fiesta & in the colour I like - he also has a demo ranger coming up, 3000km away from being sold. To be honest the Mrs wants a smaller car & for the 2 of us a Ranger seems overkill & streching the budget slightly and the Fiests performs well in all the areas i need it too. I didnt feel cramped inside at all, and seems to score very highly in safety aspects - which is a major concern. Oh yeah and i can drive away tomorrow, just needs a clean

Ok guys deal done, car will be ready in a few days BUT then I get sent out of town by work!!! So after some messign around, it looks like I will collect at the end of the month - thanks for all the input thus far

so was it the Fiesta in the end? Safer option of that was what the missus wanted!!