2012 Olympic Games Broadcast Will Not Be Blacked Out: NBTC

webfact

2012 Olympic Games broadcast won't be blacked out

BANGKOK, 9 July 2012 (NNT)-The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has disclosed that Thai viewers will be able to watch the London 2012 Olympic Games live via satellite and normal TVs.

NBTC Chairman Colonel Natee Sukolrat said he has received confirmation from Lt. Col. Chatchai Sirikalya, Director of Royal Thai Army Radio and Television and the Television Pool of Thailand (TPT) that the 2012 Olympics can be viewed via satellite and on free TVs.

The TPT has reportedly been granted the rights to broadcast the games and, according to the NBTC, there will be no blackout during the live broadcast. According to The NBTC Chairman, said the NBTC has drafted regulations to prevent conflicts similar to those reported between UBC and GMM during the European Cup, and allow the general public to view the global event on TV regardless of who their service providers are.

Additionally, the regulations will also be proposed to the public for their opinions within 7 days before the NBTC enforces it to allow for the 2012 Olympic Games to be broadcasted at the end of this month.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-07-09 footer_n.gif

This is good news, but it's kind of pathetic that it requires a government directive such as this.

This is precisely the type of thing the government is meant to get involved in to make sure that consumers come before the rights of companies to gouge them to death. Bring it all on I say, eventually, the mess of the Euros will be forgotten and either True will have to improve its service or get cheaper. Are we being privy to the first true competition in a market that CP has anything to do with?

Obviously someone has misplaced the suitcase.

• Like 2

This is good news, but it's kind of pathetic that it requires a government directive such as this.

This is precisely the type of thing the government is meant to get involved in to make sure that consumers come before the rights of companies to gouge them to death. Bring it all on I say, eventually, the mess of the Euros will be forgotten and either True will have to improve its service or get cheaper. Are we being privy to the first true competition in a market that CP has anything to do with?

Can Only Concur for a change...Thanks for a great comment!

If this goes out on free T.V. brilliant, I will give the government a clap. All these youngsters need to get into this event-it moulds countries and people, it informs, kids get the competative idea, lacking here.

One of the few things I can cheer about, giving the 80% access.clap2.gif

I expect TrueVisions would argue their service is getting cheaper and better with their HD channels being provided for free starting 16 July for Platinum package folks and a much reduced costs for other packages...and for folks who have been paying for HD service the monthly fee will go to nothing or be reduced depending on the package. And the HD boxes which are swapped out for free definitely give a better picture even for Standard Definition transmissions. And if you are on cable you can get a 3d HD box for no extra monthly charge and the 4th box at a half price monthly fee. Yeap, I bet you TrueVisions would argue their service is getting better and cheaper....it may not provide the programming to everyone's liking but the service is getting better and cheaper.

With above being said I too wish the monthly cost was lower and surprised it's not based on the wages of Thais which is probably 95% of their customer base, but TrueVisions monthly service costs roughly match what I paid in the States for cable TV.

I expect TrueVisions would argue their service is getting cheaper and better with their HD channels being provided for free starting 16 July for Platinum package folks and a much reduced costs for other packages...and for folks who have been paying for HD service the monthly fee will go to nothing or be reduced depending on the package. And the HD boxes which are swapped out for free definitely give a better picture even for Standard Definition transmissions. And if you are on cable you can get a 3d HD box for no extra monthly charge and the 4th box at a half price monthly fee. Yeap, I bet you TrueVisions would argue their service is getting better and cheaper....it may not provide the programming to everyone's liking but the service is getting better and cheaper.

With above being said I too wish the monthly cost was lower and surprised it's not based on the wages of Thais which is probably 95% of their customer base, but TrueVisions monthly service costs roughly match what I paid in the States for cable TV.

All good. Would they be doing this if grammy hadn't stepped in their pond. True would of course say no, they are doing it for the love of their customers.

Yeah right.

True is massively more expensive in comparison with say sky in the UK.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 2

Regarding TRUE It is such a pity there is not a watchdog(honest one) to probe into profits per cent on one hand and customer income on the other, and stamp on these monopolies once and for all.

Again speaking in FAVOUR of Thais, the 80% should have easier access to this Movie/sport/docum/t.v. Bring your prices down for gods sake you greedy so and so's. compare sky UK, and it's prices and it's customer income. get real TRUE.

• Like 1

Sorry to be negative but where is the info pertaining to the original copyright and licensing issues being dealt with ? Just because some gov official says its going to broadcast something doesnt mean its going to happen. I think as the date gets closer you might find alot of legal challenges being made by all parties involved until they separate their pay/subscription service and fta services. Thais just dont have a grasp of how these things work in the real world.

• Like 1

Sorry to be negative but where is the info pertaining to the original copyright and licensing issues being dealt with ? Just because some gov official says its going to broadcast something doesnt mean its going to happen. I think as the date gets closer you might find alot of legal challenges being made by all parties involved until they separate their pay/subscription service and fta services. Thais just dont have a grasp of how these things work in the real world.

And farangs just don't have a grasp of how these things work in Thailand. wink.png

It is good to see that we can all watch the 2012 olympics. The only problem is that they have forecast a very wet olympics. No problem in the swimming though. Good luck to all competitors in the able body and disabled body games games. It is good to see that an athlete with both legs amputated participaing in the able body games.

• Like 1

And farangs just don't have a grasp of how these things work in Thailand. wink.png

Yeah but when they dont have access to the signal maybe you will understand how the real world works.

• Like 1

In the latest True TV magazine, ESPN are claiming to be the Olympics channel. If they have shelled out serious cash for exclusive rights, I'd imagine they will be in control of the live feed from London, and will not want to provide free, what they've paid for. i get the feeling there is more to come on this story.

NBTC agrees 'must carry' TV broadcast

WATCHIRANONT THONGTEP

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- In a bid to ensure that almost 7 million satellite-TV viewers have access to live broadcasts of the Summer Olympic Games in London, the National Broad-casting and Telecommunication Commission (NBTC) yesterday approved "must carry" rules, which will be put before a public hearing on next Monday.

The aim is to announce the regulations in the Royal Gazette before the Games begin on July 27.

Of 22 million households nationwide, about 6.8 million that watch free-TV programmes via satellite receivers are currently at risk of missing out on the Olympics after TV Pool and the Public Relations Department's National Broadcasting Television (NBT) said they had acquired the rights from the Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) to broadcast using a terrestrial signal only.

The TV Pool comprises |BEC's ThaiTV3, the Army's TV5, BBTV's Channel7 and MCOT's Modernine TV.

"The coming must-carry rules will considerably guarantee Thais' basic right to access all free-to-air TV content in the Kingdom, without any conditions," Natee Sukon-rat, chairman of the NBTC's broadcasting committee, said yesterday.

With the panel having approved the draft rules, they will go before a public hearing at Century Park Hotel during the afternoon of July 16. The revised draft will then be submitted for NTBC approval on July 18, before the regulations are announced in the Royal Gazette.

Under the must-carry rules, transmission frequencies for radio or television broadcasting and telecommunication are considered national resources for the public interest.

Therefore, free-to-air TV operators must be responsible for providing public broadcasting services across the country on any |platform.

Moreover, those companies that hold media rights to such events as the quadrennial Euro soccer tournament must be aware of this regulation before striking any deals with free-TV operators.

The must-carry rules are expected to be imposed on both existing analog terrestrial television channels and coming digital services.

Once the NBTC issues licences for digital TV broadcasting, network providers must carry public broadcasting services, such as NBT and ThaiPBS. However, network providers will be able to select commercial channels voluntarily.

Meanwhile, Supinya Klangna-rong, the NBTC member in the watchdog's subcommittee for consumer protection, has discussed the issue with Prime Minister's Office Minister Woravat Auapinyakul, whose office is responsible for overseeing NBT, in a bid to open negotiations with the ABU over extending the current rights or acquiring further rights to broadcast via satellite TV, if needed.

Speaking as chairman of TV Pool, Lt-General Chatchai Sari-kulya, president of the Royal Thai Army Radio and Television Station, last week confirmed that the pool would bring the main live competition during the Olympics to all Thais, as its members had done four years ago when the Games were held in Beijing.

In a separate matter, the NBTC's broadcasting committee yesterday also approved the draft authority to import, produce and distribute set-top boxes to pay-television operators, as well as draft regulations governing licences for digital terrestrial broadcasting for three types of licences - for providers of infrastructure, networks and services.

Natee said the two drafts would go before a public hearing soon, and would come into effect within the next couple of months.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-10

NBTC agrees 'must carry' TV broadcast

WATCHIRANONT THONGTEP

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- In a bid to ensure that almost 7 million satellite-TV viewers have access to live broadcasts of the Summer Olympic Games in London, the National Broad-casting and Telecommunication Commission (NBTC) yesterday approved "must carry" rules, which will be put before a public hearing on next Monday.

The aim is to announce the regulations in the Royal Gazette before the Games begin on July 27.

Of 22 million households nationwide, about 6.8 million that watch free-TV programmes via satellite receivers are currently at risk of missing out on the Olympics after TV Pool and the Public Relations Department's National Broadcasting Television (NBT) said they had acquired the rights from the Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) to broadcast using a terrestrial signal only.

The TV Pool comprises |BEC's ThaiTV3, the Army's TV5, BBTV's Channel7 and MCOT's Modernine TV.

"The coming must-carry rules will considerably guarantee Thais' basic right to access all free-to-air TV content in the Kingdom, without any conditions," Natee Sukon-rat, chairman of the NBTC's broadcasting committee, said yesterday.

With the panel having approved the draft rules, they will go before a public hearing at Century Park Hotel during the afternoon of July 16. The revised draft will then be submitted for NTBC approval on July 18, before the regulations are announced in the Royal Gazette.

Under the must-carry rules, transmission frequencies for radio or television broadcasting and telecommunication are considered national resources for the public interest.

Therefore, free-to-air TV operators must be responsible for providing public broadcasting services across the country on any |platform.

Moreover, those companies that hold media rights to such events as the quadrennial Euro soccer tournament must be aware of this regulation before striking any deals with free-TV operators.

The must-carry rules are expected to be imposed on both existing analog terrestrial television channels and coming digital services.

Once the NBTC issues licences for digital TV broadcasting, network providers must carry public broadcasting services, such as NBT and ThaiPBS. However, network providers will be able to select commercial channels voluntarily.

Meanwhile, Supinya Klangna-rong, the NBTC member in the watchdog's subcommittee for consumer protection, has discussed the issue with Prime Minister's Office Minister Woravat Auapinyakul, whose office is responsible for overseeing NBT, in a bid to open negotiations with the ABU over extending the current rights or acquiring further rights to broadcast via satellite TV, if needed.

Speaking as chairman of TV Pool, Lt-General Chatchai Sari-kulya, president of the Royal Thai Army Radio and Television Station, last week confirmed that the pool would bring the main live competition during the Olympics to all Thais, as its members had done four years ago when the Games were held in Beijing.

In a separate matter, the NBTC's broadcasting committee yesterday also approved the draft authority to import, produce and distribute set-top boxes to pay-television operators, as well as draft regulations governing licences for digital terrestrial broadcasting for three types of licences - for providers of infrastructure, networks and services.

Natee said the two drafts would go before a public hearing soon, and would come into effect within the next couple of months.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-10

All rather simple really. Good, and I hope that no private company comes in and dictates to whom and through which medium the national FTA channels are broadcast. Go and get your own distribution. Do you think Grammy would have even bothered to get hold of the rights to the Euros if they couldn't have "rented" time and attempted to limit access on the FTA channels?

I wonder if anyone will have the balls to say that watching the Premier League is a "national right". Then watch the s**t fight start. In the UK they have designated certain sporting events as of national importance, the FA cup final, the World Cup soccer and the Olympics for example and as such SKY stays out of the bidding as an individual and carries highlights. Works Ok, but eventually means that once SKY gets hold of for example the cricket, domestic coverage is limited, money paid by SKY into the cricket is gargantuan in comparison with FTA, but many people don't get to see the cricket.

Therefore, one thing that True should have to do, is allow highlight packages of the premier league to go out on domestic FTA.

how is a lieutenant colonel involved in TV ????

it make s no sense !!

shouldn't he be doing army things ?

i didnt realise the army was in charge of the country? i didnt realise it was a dictatorship.

Edited by easybullet3