A Modest Proposal To Thai Immigration Regarding Money Seasoning For Retirement Extensions

I'm not having a go at you JT, I'm pointing out my friends current situation as reported to me.

He has returned to the UK to work every hour that god sends as a driver so that he can try to raise the 800,000 baht figure. He's a very fastidious man who cannot tolerate the idea of failing to legally qualify for retirement status.

He's been back in the UK for 14 months, and he hopes to return in November with the correct back up funding level. I would be concerned that a review of the current retirement qualification levels could knock many men like him out of the equation.

Edited by theblether

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not having a go at you JT, I'm pointing out my friends current situation as reported to me.

He has returned to the UK to work every hour that god sends as a driver so that he can try to raise the 800,000 baht figure. He's a very fastidious man who cannot tolerate the idea of failing to legally qualify for retirement status.

He's been back in the UK for 14 months, and he hopes to return in November with the correct back up funding level. I would be concerned that a review of the current retirement qualification levels could knock many men like him out of the equation.

I agree although we should balance that against the positive impact a review (and tightening up) of the system could have by stopping extensions being granted to those who really shouldn't be here (including those who have next to no money for the best part of the year).

I agree although we should balance that against the positive impact a review (and tightening up) of the system could have by stopping extensions being granted to those who really shouldn't be here (including those who have next to no money for the best part of the year).

It's a fine balancing act, I tend to take the ( possibly naive ) view that there are plenty of good pensioners in Thailand just on the edge, of qualification. I would be concerned that these good people could be dragged into a net not of their own making.

There's shades of bendix about this thread, a bit of thoughtfulness and solidarity with the pensioners would go a long way.

• Like 2

It's a fine balancing act, I tend to take the ( possibly naive ) view that there are plenty of good pensioners in Thailand just on the edge, of qualification. I would be concerned that these good people could be dragged into a net not of their own making.

There's shades of bendix about this thread, a bit of thoughtfulness and solidarity with the pensioners would go a long way.

Indeed, at times like this Bendix is missed. In his absence, I will provide what I assume would be his (cold-hearted but rational) view...

The rules exist for a reason but it is clear the rules are currently flawed in that they are easy to cheat. A tightening up of the rules (and maybe additional sophistication to allow for extra consideration to be given to cases that are borderline) would surely be welcome.

Yep, the ghost of bendix indeed.

Indeed. I take a softer view....things should be flexible to suit individual requirements while still requiring that you have the 800k Baht in evidence throughout the year....and a proof that you still have that amount remaining....be it in Thailand or not. A regular amount being transferred in my view ought to be sufficient for the authorities backed up with a foreign account statement.

Go on...flame away....biggrin.png

• Like 1

Indeed. I take a softer view....things should be flexible to suit individual requirements while still requiring that you have the 800k Baht in evidence throughout the year....and a proof that you still have that amount remaining....be it in Thailand or not. A regular amount being transferred in my view ought to be sufficient for the authorities backed up with a foreign account statement.

That is much harsher than the status quo. You expats are much harder on us than Thai immigration. I find it bizarre. I suggested something to help some of us out, a little. In reply I get calls for crackdowns! Amazing expats. Edited by Jingthing

No flaming required. That post is well done. That would be a sensible approach.

Except (as discussed) the 800k maybe needs to be updated to today's prices.

Indeed, at times like this Bendix is missed. In his absence, I will provide what I assume would be his (cold-hearted but rational) view...

The rules exist for a reason but it is clear the rules are currently flawed in that they are easy to cheat. A tightening up of the rules (and maybe additional sophistication to allow for extra consideration to be given to cases that are borderline) would surely be welcome.

By who would it be welcome. Sadists?

That is much harsher than the status quo. You expats are much harder on us than Thai immigration. I find it bizarre. I suggested something to help some of us out, a little. In reply I get calls for crackdowns! Amazing expats.

Smokie's idea is a common sense approach which would be difficult to game but achieves the most important aim of the financial requirement (i.e. that retirees have access to sufficient funds in case of emergency).

Thai immigration is not going to check on your outside-Thailand accounts. That is something people applying for O-A visas can use for initial retirement visas. I had hoped this thread could be in more narrow bounds, my IDEA, and in the realm of reasonable REALITY.

I did ask for thread closure and I still want it closed but the mods haven't acted as yet.

Edited by Jingthing

By who would it be welcome. Sadists?

As I said borderline cases could be given extra consideration.

Therefore, it would only hurt those who are cheating the system by leaving themselves open to financial ruin in case of emergency (and inevitable rescue or help from the Thai taxpayers) by having insufficient financial resources for most of the year.

The genuine retirees would benefit from not been associated with the deadbeat foreigners coming to retire in Thailand.

The Thai taxpayers would benefit from not having to pay for public services for emergencies involving retirees with insufficient finances.

Thai immigration is not going to check on your outside-Thailand accounts. That is something people applying for O-A visas can use for initial retirement visas. I had hoped this thread could be in more narrow bounds, my IDEA, and in the realm of reasonable REALITY.

I did ask for thread closure and I still want it closed but the mods haven't acted as yet.

Why? You have started a very good thread that has raised a very interesting discussion.

Why? You have started a very good thread that has raised a very interesting discussion.

No. This thread has become a platform for advocates of hurting expats and in my view trollish suggestions. I find that disgusting, totally OFF TOPIC to the compassionate intention of my OP, and I want no part in that. As the person who started the thread, I have the right to request closure. If you want a crack down on retirees thread, start one yourself. Edited by Jingthing

I disagree regarding raising the 800k. In my opinion it is sufficient.

• Like 2

Sometimes a discussion takes on a life of its own, beyond what we had planned or expected - like our children. We can't just shut them down whenever we get fed up with them and we have to understand that, according to the probation officer

SC

• Like 1

Sometimes a discussion takes on a life of its own, beyond what we had planned or expected - like our children. We can't just shut them down whenever we get fed up with them and we have to understand that, according to the probation officer

SC

This thread isn't a child. It is a thread. I request closure. It has turned into an ugly, damaging thread. I am sorry I even started it now but now all I can do is ask to have it closed.

I disagree regarding raising the 800k. In my opinion it is sufficient.

It may well be but I would recommend they re-do the calculation (or at least update the input data).

Sad to see expats here fight over which other expats, that are desireable or not to stay in Thailand. Whatever happend to solidarity/emphaty with weaker persons. And for sure money can't be the ONLY measurement, I know plenty of people here, who easily can met the economic requirements, but for the restbah.gif .

Anyway we can discuss as much, as we want, in the end it is up to our hostcountry, which is happy to issue an EDvisa, if anything else fails.wai.gif

• Like 2

SC

This thread isn't a child. It is a thread. I request closure. It has turned into an ugly, damaging thread. I am sorry I even started it now but now all I can do is ask to have it closed.

I don't want to upset you but who or what is this thread "damaging"?

I suppose if the worst came to the worst you could always stop posting and consider the thread closed, as far as you are concerned, and the people who are enjoying the thread could continue to do so - almost like your gift to the forum

SC

...and if (as the OP suggested) someone reads this thread and discusses it with immigration, it could even become a gift to Thailand

I am not on the retirment visa.

Is there a law that says when you hit 50yo you have to be on it ??

I prefer my current visa, much easier in my books...well maybe not, but certainly I dun have to tie up 800k in some numpties bank account earning sweet FA.

Perhaps the requirement should be to show 800k of expenditure over the year....that'd be good and easy for most surely.

I prefer my current visa, much easier in my books...well maybe not, but certainly I dun have to tie up 800k in some numpties bank account earning sweet FA.

Perhaps the requirement should be to show 800k of expenditure over the year....that'd be good and easy for most surely.

The 800K is to show you have enough to support yourself going forward,I think.

What's past is past. Perhaps a repatriation bond would be more appropriate; we've always resisted dipping into ours, in case tragedy should be fall and suddenly we need the money for whatever reason

SC

Actually I would find that rather difficult. Impossible, in fact. And I think that I live quite well.

SC

I suppose if the worst came to the worst you could always stop posting and consider the thread closed, as far as you are concerned, and the people who are enjoying the thread could continue to do so - almost like your gift to the forum

SC

Can you put threads on ignore ??

The 800K is to show you have enough to support yourself going forward,I think.

Indeed. It's merely an extension to the existing rule (rarely, if ever, applied) that people arriving at a border should be able to show means of departure and means of support during their stay. With e-tickets and modern payment methods like credit cards etc. this is almost completely impossible to police, but as far as I know it is still the law.

Edited by Darrel

SC

Can you put threads on ignore ??

You could Horatio Nelson them, if you were a man of his character, courage, and eyefulness

Exactly what I said above. I think some misinterpreted me.