Car Rental Samui

Hi there, we are a family of 3 who will be staying at Lipa Noi and would seek the use of a small or family compact car, automatic gearbox if possible.

Period: 08 August to 17 August. - 10 days.

We have rented a car previously and paid 1,000 baht per day. Toyota Vios.

Any ideas please?

Is renting an older Suzuki jeep (the one with an open back trunk) a good idea? I heard they could be as cheap as THB500/day (could that be true?). Do they have an AC at all? Are they any acceptable gas-consumtion-wise?

Thanks in advance for answers.

Is renting an older Suzuki jeep (the one with an open back trunk) a good idea? I heard they could be as cheap as THB500/day (could that be true?). Do they have an AC at all? Are they any acceptable gas-consumtion-wise?

Thanks in advance for answers.

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

A monthly rate is cheaper - but then we are into high season

Hello, Dolgure...welcome to the island.

I'm not sure what specific 'horror stories' bluechipit is referring to, but all of the Suzuki Jeeps are at least eight years old (production stopped in the early 2000s) and have received minimal servicing over the years. I have rented many in the past and in one example the entire exhaust system fell off within the first 10 kms, the petrol tank was leaking and the brakes were dodgy. Best to have a close look before parting with any money.

The majors, like Avis and Budget, should have cars that are in better condition.

Having said that, I rented a Suzuki Jeep (Caribian) for the first seven months after I moved here for B13,000 a month. It was missing a few items, like sun blinds and a door handle, but the mechanicals were sound and I experienced no problems with the car. Good luck.

Edited by Chantra

I live on Samui in Maenam I rent a vios out every month to do a big shop as I cant do it on my motorbike he lets me have it for a 1,000 bht a day but you might get better for longer you can take the car off the island because they are fully insured Think his name is mel 0846256424 all the cars he has are new not trash and I think with full insurance even at a 1,000 bht that is a good deal most vehicles only have the basic type of government insurance which is crap and the bikes are the same

Renting a jeep/truck here is just as dodgy as renting bikes.

I've had many friends over the years rent jeeps in very poor condition with minimal servicing. A lot of them shouldn't even be on the roads...

Many also not taxed or insured. I wouldn't not like to take a chance on the roads here with no insurance or tax...

I've also had friends who have taken back a jeep with a dent that was there when they rented it and guess what? Yes, the owner pulls some story about it being a fresh dent and then starts the whole intimidation process to get extra money.

Take a chance with the locals? No thanks. Go with a proper company like Budget or Avis.

• Like 1

i have the same opinion as mat(blueIT) regarding car rental(only deal with internationnal companies avis etc...).

one of my friend rented a car in samui in nathon and ended up at the police station, this is quite an incredible story :

car was fine and contract was signed between him and the owner(a thai lady), gasoline quantity wasn't written on the contract and the rent was from 8PM to 8PM three days later.

he brought the car at 10AM(so 10 hours earlier than expected by the owner) BUT the owner complained about gas missing while gas quantity wasn't mentioned in the agreement they signed and she refused to give him back his ID/passport.

he promptly went to the police station and talked with a very good english speaking officer(mister naron), wich asked the owner of the car to come to the police station right away, once she arrived, he pulled out a big file about her(many people had the same problem with her) and started to tell her she's damaging the image of thailand by acting like that and that petrol in the tank wasn't written on the contract.

in the end she had to apologize and drive him to the ferry but she refused to shake his hand LOL.

• Like 1