Phuket It Is

CrazyKid

I fail to see how Chang Mai could be half as much as Phuket, is petrol half price? Is food half price? Car and bikes half as much, is insurance cheaper!! Things might be a little less but I am thinking by not much!!

LAND, Houses,construction costs, rent, food at stalls and restaurants, prices of drinks in clubs, bars etc. Your examples were very calculated as you know those items are relatively the same in the whole country.

• Like 1

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fail to see how Chang Mai could be half as much as Phuket, is petrol half price? Is food half price? Car and bikes half as much, is insurance cheaper!! Things might be a little less but I am thinking by not much!!

LAND, Houses,construction costs, rent, food at stalls and restaurants, prices of drinks in clubs, bars etc. Your examples were very calculated as you know those items are relatively the same in the whole country.

Everywhere is expensive or cheap depending on your lifestyle!!

Land and houses prices are very inflated here thats why there are so many properties on the market they cannot sell

The builder next door was paying until recently 190 baht a day for male Myanmar workers, women and juniors 170 baht

Food stalls at 60 baht ($2) for most things are not expensive most food items are brought to the island from elsewhere

If you eat and drink in tourist type restaurants and bars they are more expensive than Thai run establishments but not dear compared to western prices

Rent is not expensive here in my opinion

As mentioned in a previous post, you may discover that many more people are leaving Phuket than are moving to Phuket. You should ask yourself, "Why?"

My own belief for this is that whilst there has always been a turnover of expats similar to that of any expat community in the world, the global recession of recent years has particularly impacted those with the financial means to become an expat.

Property has become difficult to sell and is priced less, people aren't getting the redundancy/severance/pensions of a few years ago also. For many people, it's an era of personal uncertainty, which dampens the enthusiasm for migrating that uncertainly to a foreign country.

Agree with you there. In addition I also seriously doubt more people are leaving Phuket than moving to it. Would very much like to see numbers, in stead of some persons belief stated as a fact.

Show me where I said it was a fact that more expats are departing than arriving.

I stated my personal experience of knowing more expats who have left, than I have met new expats to the island. I asked other members to comment on their experience.

I would also like to know the figures. I suppose the immigration data base, with the nominated addresses all all expats, would be accurate, if they were released, and not "tampered" with.

Anyway, I thought you were ignoring me. :) :) :) :)

You beat me to it.

I agree with kawapower on this, in so much as during a vacation we had in Chiang Mai a couple of years ago, I saw little difference in the pricing of drinks and food in restaurants there and the typical Thai restaurants that we use in Phuket. Yes, property prices seemed to be cheaper (out of curiosity we visited a couple of show houses), and I guess therefore rents also, but not much else. Different staying in a resort as a tourist, than being a resident I guess.

What Phuket very much has in it's favour is options of lifestyle and the expenditures necessary to sustain them.

• Like 1

People are leaving Phuket whose home countries are USA or Europe including the UK because of the economy in there home counties they cannot afford to live here anymore, some have lost there lifes savings

There are plenty of Russians and Chinese and more Indian Tourists arriving some to live here as expats

Russian people are buying property here but they mainly buy from Russian estate agents

Its not that less people are coming here its just they are coming from different countries

<snip>

Its not that less people are coming here its just they are coming from different countries

Yes, I agree with that. But most are short term tourists. Not may are long term expats.

Many expats from Russia coming right now, I think they are the only ones buying real estate at the moment. But they buy from Russians, go to Russian places, etc., and are seldom in places with other nationality expats.

Edited by stevenl

You beat me to it.

Here's one especially for Kenny that he is constantly complaining about.................Golf. What's the average green fee or lifetime membership here compared to Chiang Mai :) ? Double or more than double on average?

<snip>

Yes, I agree with that. But most are short term tourists. Not may are long term expats.

Yes, this thread is about a new EXPAT to Phuket, not the new demographics of tourists coming here.

I agree with some posts that state one reason for a lesser amount of retiree/expats moving here, if that is the case, is they may now have less disposable income available to them upon retirement.

It would appear that the current situation with the global financial crisis is not going to end anytime soon. That said, I really have no idea why they keep building here at the level they are. The Russians are not buying that much property.

So, if many westerners are holidaying elsewhere these days, and those tourist stats are being filled with Russian, Arab, Indian and Korean tourist - how will Phuket advertise itself as a retirement destination to westerners? Also, what nationality will your neighbour be in the future? :)

I still cant believe that foreigners buy land and houses in Thailand. The rent is cheap enough....and you can move if some idiot decides to set up a chicken farm next to your house. I would ask all the 'owner builders' in Thailand...would you buy a property for a woman in your native country? Would you buy it in a company name in your own country? Would you buy a house for a hooker you met in a bar a house in your own country? Would you invest in a property when the laws prevent you from taking the cash out of the country when you sell it? Renting is freedom. Investing smart is when you can sell the property for a gain.....there are plenty of houses in Kamala, nai harn and patong doing the real estate rounds for sale 8 years after i first saw them. Its easy to buy in Thailand....lets see you flip the property and take the money home

I still cant believe that foreigners buy land and houses in Thailand. The rent is cheap enough....and you can move if some idiot decides to set up a chicken farm next to your house. I would ask all the 'owner builders' in Thailand...would you buy a property for a woman in your native country? Would you buy it in a company name in your own country? Would you buy a house for a hooker you met in a bar a house in your own country? Would you invest in a property when the laws prevent you from taking the cash out of the country when you sell it? Renting is freedom. Investing smart is when you can sell the property for a gain.....there are plenty of houses in Kamala, nai harn and patong doing the real estate rounds for sale 8 years after i first saw them. Its easy to buy in Thailand....lets see you flip the property and take the money home

When you bring money from your home country to buy a house the bank gives you a letter stating the money was for that purpose

You can sell the property and return the money to your home country if you want to as long as you have the bank letter

If the money was legally brought into Thailand you can Legally return it to Australia

When you bring money from your home country to buy a house the bank gives you a letter stating the money was for that purpose

You can sell the property and return the money to your home country if you want to as long as you have the bank letter

If the money was legally brought into Thailand you can Legally return it to Australia

petercallen, if you bought in say 5 million baht and bought a condo/apartment/house a few years ago. You have you certificate for 5 million baht.

Let's just say you sell you condo/apartment/house next week for 10 million baht. You can get 5 million baht out with your certificate.

How do you get the other 5 million baht out of Thailand????

.......but not any profits (if there are any).

Oversupply will see it very difficult to sell, let alone make a capital gain (profit) - but if you did manage to make a few baht on the sale of a property, it's a little difficult to LEGALLY get this profit out of Thailand.

I completely agree. No "investment" in Thailand is a smart "investment" in Thailand. :) :) :) :)

Not interested in getting my original investment out or any profits, just stating a fact

But there are ways of getting around it which you will have to work out yourself, if you have not already done so

I knew even before I moved here that it would be foolish to buy anything here, renting is cheap and easy to move if you need to, My opinion is do not buy anything unless you can afford to lose it all !!

Or, do not buy anything that you can't actually own. :) :) :) :)

I knew even before I moved here that it would be foolish to buy anything here, renting is cheap and easy to move if you need to, My opinion is do not buy anything unless you can afford to lose it all !!

Its nice to have your own home if you can afford it and intend living out your retirement in Thailand, which i intend to do

I have always owned my own home and do not like renting even if it is cheap, if we want to we can paint the house pink

with purple spots, or as my wife is doing landscaping the garden for our own benefit

Not interested in getting my original investment out or any profits, just stating a fact

But there are ways of getting around it which you will have to work out yourself, if you have not already done so

petercallen, the post wasn't aimed just at yourself, it was aimed at the majority of property owners and potential owners.

Yes, there are ways to get the capital gain, or profit, out of Thailand, but to do it LEGALLY, is a difficult and/or a slow process.

Edited by NamKangMan

Or, do not buy anything that you can't actually own. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

I have a 30 year lease that will see me out so who gives a stuff what other people think who probably cannot afford to buy here anyway

I spend my time between the Malaysia, India, Singapore, gulf islands and phuket.

Phuket to me seems good enough, much easier to get things done lots to do socially.The crime rate seems to have gone up but seems to be the case in most places I visit.By not being out to all hours and keeping your guard up as anywhere else i work and travel to Phuket seems fine.

I will also be spending a lot more time there the coming year.

Surfing in low season is awesome, chilling on the northern beaches in high season just as good.

good luck with the move

• Like 1

Or, do not buy anything that you can't actually own. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

I have a 30 year lease that will see me out so who gives a stuff what other people think who probably cannot afford to buy here anyway

I can not afford to buy here and even if I could I woulden't, horses for courses, I like the freedom of renting for obvious reasons.

Its nice to have your own home if you can afford it and intend living out your retirement in Thailand, which i intend to do

I have always owned my own home and do not like renting even if it is cheap, if we want to we can paint the house pink

with purple spots, or as my wife is doing landscaping the garden for our own benefit

What would happen if they changed the loop holes that allowed foreigners to "own" property here????

What would happen if they changed the visa laws/requirements????

There are many concerns in relation to buying property here, these are just two of them.

If you have purchased property using the method that most expats use, you are really only renting for 30 years anyway.

That's pretty much most expat's idea, however, upon most people's demise, they leave their assets, in the form of a "will" to their children. Most people's largest asset in their life will be their house.

Given that most expats have children, there are real problems leaving a property in Thailand to your children in your home country.

I can not afford to buy here and even if I could I woulden't, horses for courses, I like the freedom of renting for obvious reasons.

I can afford to buy here, but even if I won the lottery, I still wouldn't buy into property here.

If I won the lottery I would buy in my home country where the property is 100 per cent mine, the laws here could change at any time leaving home owners with nothing, the only reason I can see to buy here is if you are wealthy enough to lose it all and not care!!

That's pretty much most expat's idea, however, upon most people's demise, they leave their assets, in the form of a "will" to their children. Most people's largest asset in their life will be their house.

Given that most expats have children, there are real problems leaving a property in Thailand to your children in your home country.

All my assets in Thailand including the balance in my bank accounts go to my Thai wife

All my assets in Australia go to my 2 children divided equality, they are very well looked after

and successful business people themselves and happy with my will, if they were not i would not

give a stuff anyway its my money, they are definitely not missing out and will not have to wait till i die

Both will be getting a substantial amount of money this year when the sale of a property is completed

You cannot take it with you when you die