Car Insurance - Which Provider, Coverage Limits, Other Considerations?

funlovinkid

I bought a new Toyota Vios last year, and it came with a 1st class insurance policy, but now the policy is up for renewal, and I'm wondering if I should switch. If so, does anyone have any recommendations for:

- which company to use

- should I use an agent or broker (and if so, what to watch out for)

- what the coverage limits should be (payouts per person injured, per accident, etc)

Never having familiarized myself before with the car insurance environment in Thailand, I don't want to make any assumptions! Many thanks for any suggestions.

My sum experience of car insurance in Thailand is as follows. My first car, a Toyota, had insurance with 'Thai Insurance' - I just emailed all the insurance companies for quotes and looked at the coverage. The car was stolen and, after getting a police report, the company paid out exactly as stated on the form.

When I bought the next car, it had the 1-year free with AXA - never made a claim, so can't assess either way. I was then in the same position of deciding. When I got the AXA renewal quote, I contacted Chaz insurance brokers, MSIG (who I have condo insurance with), AA insurance in Pattaya (who at that time were affiliated with Thai Visa in some way), Bangkok Bank insurance and Tesco car insurance. For me, I went with Chaz as the broker spoke good English and they just gave me a list of quote so I could easily compare them with other policies. You can choose yourself. I've never had a crash or made a claim so can't assess either way, but I don't think there's anything to 'watch out for' - my claim with Thai Insurance was just straight forward.

You have to decide what you want; stipulating that the car is repaired at the dealership gives the most expensive quote, for example; having yourself as the named driver lowers the quote, the overall 'sum insured' can be raised or lowered within limits corresponding with the premium, a broker can sort this out for you. It amazing how much quotes vary when you look at the details; the AXA renewal was offering 100,000baht per person in the event of an accident, when for less money, Chaz found a policy with Southwest insurance for 200,000 p/p.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the process of renewing my first class car insurance and received an interesting quote from LMG Insurance by a broker. Also, did anybody do business with TQM Insurance, which seems to be a sister company of LMG. Any comments on above companies and/or leads to a reputable car insurance company in Thailand is much appreciated. Many thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the formula to calculate the car insurance premiums?

There must be a government approved rate for the insurers to charge the customers. ie 150b for every 10,000b value insured.

If not, how do you calculate them?

Does anyone know the formula to calculate the car insurance premiums?

There must be a government approved rate for the insurers to charge the customers. ie 150b for every 10,000b value insured.

If not, how do you calculate them?

No, there is no government approved rate.

The premium will var per company, and the companies have their own rates and calculation methods with many, many variables.

• 1 month later...

I was looking at the forum because my Toyota Vios same as OP is up for renewal. One thing I am concerned about is if I do have a problem (accident) will there be an English speaker at the other end of the phone if I am on my own.

Anybody any thoughts or comments.

Aioi cover from the Toyota insurance was easily beaten when I got a quote from Tesco. Interesting bail bond Aioi 100,000 and a poster says 200,000 needed for farang. Aioi maximum payments seemed low and it cost a lot more as well.

A little off topic but would appreciate someone that knows help. I bought an auction car. And looking to insure it. What does the insurance that you get when you pick up the plates cover. I had to pay 900 bhat. But do not know what it covers.

Thanks

A little off topic but would appreciate someone that knows help. I bought an auction car. And looking to insure it. What does the insurance that you get when you pick up the plates cover. I had to pay 900 bhat. But do not know what it covers.

Thanks

I think although I may be wrong that it is some form of very basic third party cover. We bought it from the office where we paid the tax for the yearly renewal. Interesteringly when I got a car insurance quote it also included this figure but when they heard it had been paid for at the tax office they deducted it.

• 8 months later...

I know this topic is a year old but does any have any new input to the topic

Car Insurance - Which Provider? I want to get 1st insurance for my 10 month old Mazda BT-50Pro 4dr 4x4. The old/current company is Thanachart Insurance. Anyone have any experience with them?

Edited by gosompoi

I know this topic is a year old but does any have any new input to the topic

Car Insurance - Which Provider? I want to get 1st insurance for my 10 month old Mazda BT-50Pro 4dr 4x4. The old/current company is Thanachart Insurance. Anyone have any experience with them?

I just received a quotation from Tanachart, and also asked AA Insurance to come up with an alternative. AA was much cheaper for better coverage. That is for the renewal of my BT50 coming up next month.

• 6 months later...

I (well... the Thai wife) just renewed my class 1 auto insurance through SCB on a Toyota pickup. I will be working out of Thailand for the next 6 months. The truck is stored until then. Does anyone know if I can temporarily suspend my class 1 insurance and keep just basic coverage until I get back here in June and get a refund for the difference?

• 3 months later...

I'm looking to renew my car insurance also for 2011 honda civic. It's presently insured with LMG and they want 18,000 baht to renew. We have 30% no claim. Just got a price online from www.directasia.co.th

I researched and they seem to be ok in Singapore. Their quote was 11,000 baht for everything. I'm interested

AXA first class for vigo 14,000, made a 1 claim was sorted straight away and free 24 breakdown service. went direct as I could use ATM card no charge, the brooker wanted 3% for using a card. AXA staff streets ahead of a local brooker and same price for AXA insurance.. Pattaya.

I was in the same dilemma for a 2013 Honda, similar dealer price than your VIOS. Renewal was 18,000 Class 1 with Ayuttaya, shopping around I got 12,000 for similar policy and dealer repair with Simankhon, partners with KhunThai Bank. With them I can use my credit card to pay, I bumped 20,000 in the normal coverage, and covers rain, storm, and hail damage. A friend got the same price with AXA.

Edited by umbanda

AXA first class for vigo 14,000, made a 1 claim was sorted straight away and free 24 breakdown service. went direct as I could use ATM card no charge, the brooker wanted 3% for using a card. AXA staff streets ahead of a local brooker and same price for AXA insurance.. Pattaya.

This is more or less what I pay for a similar vehicle via a broker with 20% no-claims. But it did take some prompting to get the premium down from 18,000+ by applying sole named driver clauses, higher excess, pleasure use only etc.

Does your premium also have higher excess (deductible) and other restrictions to make it cheaper? What NCD did you have at the time of taking out the policy?

• 2 weeks later...

Look at gluay-gluay site......it is broker representing good companies. You can get a nice class 1 policy for less than 12000THB....

But pay special attention to the amount they will pay for total loss, ie, the residual value of the car. Some online insurance calculators don't ask for the car car value and base it on some internal database that reduces the value of a used car by as much as 100k baht.

• 2 months later...

AA Insurance Brokers Pattaya, great service, English speaking, newly purchased scooter and vehicle both with them, Peter there is a gent, total reassurance & peace of mind.....

Hello,

Where are they located ? Do you know other brokers at Pattaya ?

And to others, any good or bad experience with more insurance companies ?

I made a post here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/748359-car-insurance-best-company-your-insurance-covers-100-90-replacement-car-in-case-of-accident/

Thank you.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

AA Insurance Brokers Pattaya, great service, English speaking, newly purchased scooter and vehicle both with them, Peter there is a gent, total reassurance & peace of mind.....

Hello,

Where are they located ? Do you know other brokers at Pattaya ?

And to others, any good or bad experience with more insurance companies ?

I made a post here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/748359-car-insurance-best-company-your-insurance-covers-100-90-replacement-car-in-case-of-accident/

Thank you.

In Pattaya our office is nxct to Big C in South Pattaya - for a map please go to this LINK

• 2 weeks later...

I've saved significant money by telling my insurance broker to do the policy with a 5000 baht deductible or "co-pay". It saves thousands per year. I switched from the Insurance company that came "free" with a new Toyota to AXA and have higher coverage for 9000 baht less per year through Eric Dohlon in Phuket. I live in Buriram, yet it pays to compare insurance with a licensed broker. Eric understands and speaks English and Thai as does his office manager.

• 5 months later...

Can anyone please tell me if its a requirement by law in Thailand, that when you renew your car insurance, you have to pay the premium one month before the date of expiry of your present policy? Also if you have made a claim and change insurance companies and they do not ask you if you've made any claims with your previous insurance company and you then have to make a claim on your new policy with your new insurance company, will it void your insurance if they don't ask and you don't declare a previous claim. I will be grateful for any advice on this.

johnj

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey, I see that your question about the Toyota was responded to a long time ago, but as a means of trying to share some useful info, my husband and I (and the recommendation of others on the forum here) just bought our car insurance on a Bangkok site that's a bit like agoda.com called Masii https://masii.co.th/ and had a nice experience. 

As a side note, for travel and other types of insurances, we found that MSIG Thailand had a really nice set of online offers that were intelligible and easy for the new foreigner like me to understand. Pretty good deals. 

Good luck w car insurance, and if anyone wants to know more about my personal experience (i've spent literally the last week trying to figure this out), I'm happy to help out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2016 at 4:29 PM, elizabethay said:

Hey, I see that your question about the Toyota was responded to a long time ago, but as a means of trying to share some useful info, my husband and I (and the recommendation of others on the forum here) just bought our car insurance on a Bangkok site that's a bit like agoda.com called Masii https://masii.co.th/ and had a nice experience. 

As a side note, for travel and other types of insurances, we found that MSIG Thailand had a really nice set of online offers that were intelligible and easy for the new foreigner like me to understand. Pretty good deals. 

Good luck w car insurance, and if anyone wants to know more about my personal experience (i've spent literally the last week trying to figure this out), I'm happy to help out. 

do you have a link to the MSIG site for online offers