Where Are The Insect Burgers? Bring Them On.

Jingthing

True confession.

I don't eat insects (on purpose).

Not in Thailand. Not anywhere.

I don't like how they look and I don't want to deal with the weird legs and crunchy issues.

Irrational maybe as I eat shrimp with the shell in Chinese dishes.

I also really detest Thai street insects. They are fried in usually old oil and you can often smell them a block away. Nauseating. To me.

Anyway, that said, I would be VERY OPEN to eating insects in a industrialized sanitized form.

As in portions like burgers.

Now I don't know what the different bugs taste like so I don't know if there could be 10 different flavors of bug burgers, or special blends, but it seems like the potential taste variations may be endless.

The meat could also be mixed with SEAWEED, which is another future nutritious, cheap, plentiful food to feed the world.

Anyway, I'm ready to check out some bug burgers if I ever see them on the market.

How about you?

http://www.slate.com...and_shrimp.html

They're using biotechnology to produce vats of insect cells -- just isolated cells. The researchers described their efforts last year in Biotechnology Advances . The goal, explains Marjoleine C. Verkerk of Wageningen University, is to produce a sanitized source of bug proteins that can be dried and added to breads or perhaps molded into pseudo-burgers. Her team is mass producing isolated ovary cells of silkworms, fall armyworms, cabbage loopers and gypsy moths.
Edited by Jingthing

The meat could also be mixed with SEAWEED

Meat ? I think you are being optimistic. The insects I have eaten here do not have anything that could resemble meat.... certainly not anything close to the texture that would be needed anyway.

totster :D

That's what modern food engineers are for. I am certain they can do something with the protein. Maybe even make a bland base type thing like tofu. I actually love tofu because you can do some much with it and make it taste any way you like with the way you cook it and spices. I'm actually surprised some bug burger products aren't on the market. It seems a natural for stores like Trader Joes in the US.

That's what modern food engineers are for. I am certain they can do something with the protein. Maybe even make a bland base type thing like tofu. I actually love tofu because you can do some much with it and make it taste any way you like with the way you cook it and spices. I'm actually surprised some bug burger products aren't on the market. It seems a natural for stores like Trader Joes in the US.

If it's a protein based imitation meat burger you want then just buy Quorn

No, I want a cricket burger.

Well, how about using some bland base type thing like tofu and pretending it tastes like crickets ? Otherwise we go back to my original point about there not being anything akin to the meat that you would need to make that burger on a cricket.

No, I want a cricket burger.

Well, how about using some bland base type thing like tofu and pretending it tastes like crickets ? Otherwise we go back to my original point about there not being anything akin to the meat that you would need to make that burger on a cricket.

totster biggrin.png

OK, I guess I'll have to settle for gypsy moths burgers as mentioned in the OP.

True confession.

I don't eat insects (on purpose).

Not in Thailand. Not anywhere.

Actually you have eaten plenty of bugs...you just didn't know it. If you have had a yoplait strawberry yogurt, a strawberry milkshake, red jello, or pretty much any red colored food, you have eaten a bug. The red coloring is derived from crushed South American beetles.

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/bugjuice.asp

I guess I knew that. But I am talking about a new protein source to feed the world. Most cultures aren't like Thailand that loves the bugs as bugs.

The one time I was in Oaxaca Mexico they were selling chile fried grasshoppers a lot of places. They actually looked and smelled much more appetizing than Thai fried bugs. The saying there is that if you eat a grasshopper in Oaxaca you will be back. I didn't eat one. I won't be back ...

I think I may have eaten chocolate covered ants in the past but if I did I blocked the memory.

Edited by Jingthing

Most cultures aren't like Thailand that loves the bugs as bugs.

Actually I probably in good conscience point out (as indicated in the article I linked to) that eating bugs is against Jewish dietary law...quite literally, it's not Kosher. :) I had a Jewish friend in law school who wouldn't eat a cheeseburger cuz he thought it was not Kosher. (Wasn't supposed to cook a calf in its mother's milk, and you never really knew where the cheese and the meat came from.)

I ate a fly once. It died in my coke. It is unfortunate that dead flies and coca-cola are the same color.

It wasn't Kosher because you are never supposed to mix meat with dairy. That is true though that insects wouldn't be Kosher same as sea insects like lobsters. Irrational stuff. Anthropologists posit that there were ecological reasons for no pork eating in the middle east when those rules came down.

Edited by Jingthing

I ate a fly once. It died in my coke. It is unfortunate that dead flies and coca-cola are the same color.

Maybe the farmers could be encouraged to spray coke on their crops, rather than the pesticides they currently use w00t.gif

• Like 1