If Bitten By A Snake...

Semper

Glad to know you're not sitting typing after a snake bite.smile.png

I would imagine Maharaj would carry most anti venoms, but kill the snake if possible and take it with you, or remember what it looked like.

Edited by uptheos

Anyone know how many DEATHS occur in Thailand every year due to snake bites?

Thailand - between 1985 and 1989, the number of reported snake bite cases increased from 3,377 to 6,038 per year, reflecting increased diligence in reporting rather than a true increase in snake bites; the number of deaths ranged from 81 to 183 (average 141) per year. In 1991 there were 1,469 reported bites with five deaths, in 1992, 6,733 bites with 19 deaths and, in 1994, 8,486 bites with eight deaths. Deaths reported in hospital returns were only 11% of the number recorded by the Public Health Authorities. In a national survey of dead snakes brought to hospital by the people they had bitten, 70% of the snakes were venomous species, the most commonly brought species being Malayan pit viper (Calloselasma rhodostoma) 38%, white-lipped green pit viper (Trimeresurus albolabris) 27%, Russell’s viper (Daboia russelii siamensis) 14%, Indo-Chinese spitting cobra (Naja siamensis) 10% and monocellate cobra (N kaouthia) 7%. In an analysis of 46 fatal cases in which the snake had been reliably identified, Malayan kraits (Bungarus candidus) and Malayan pit vipers were each responsible for 13 cases, monocellate cobras for 12 and Russell’s vipers for seven deaths.

Edited by Semper

Anyone know how many DEATHS occur in Thailand every year due to snake bites?

And how many deaths could have been avoided if anti venom was available? There hasn't been a decent answer yet to Semper's question. Which hospitals, if any, keep anti venom for pit vipers, kraits, or cobras?

• Like 1

2 replies started with "I believe" & "I've heard". Anything more definite? My wife & I asked at our local hospital (San Kamphaeng). Their reply was very vague......

Snake Bite Procedures - Maharaj is listed

Also a paper in the Chiang Mai Medical Journal is based on snake bite cases reported at the Chiang Mai University hospital.

• Like 1

2 replies started with "I believe" & "I've heard". Anything more definite? My wife & I asked at our local hospital (San Kamphaeng). Their reply was very vague......

Snake Bite Procedures - Maharaj is listed

Also a paper in the Chiang Mai Medical Journal is based on snake bite cases reported at the Chiang Mai University hospital.

If Pang-Soong lodge is advising travel to Maharaj, then it doesn't sound as if local, rural hospitals are worth bothering with. Don't waste your time, get straight to Maharaj.....

Is there VIP parking for venomous snake bite victims? ermm.gif

Is there VIP parking for venomous snake bite victims? ermm.gif

Stop - into emergency and worry about the vehicle later.

Really?

Well, you could leave the handbrake off.

What do you suggest drive around looking for a parking spot?

• Like 1

Don't forget to get someone to suck the poison out......hope you dun garden neked.

It would be wise to call the closest hospital to you and ask if they have the anti venoms on hand around the clock....the reason I mention is I read of a hospital some time ago...cannot remember where now....but it sent the snake bite victim away because they did not have any treatment for him.

Also, while killing a snake is not a good thing to do willy nilly as seems to be the usual MO....it is kinda fair to do it when he bites you...cos he did it first....so knock it off and take it to the hospital with you for identification purposes....and a bbq out back later.

A few weeks ago my dog was bitten by a cobra.

Within 45 minutes the nuerotoxin had stopped him breathing.

Fortunately I had already got him to the local pet hospital where they treated him with antivenom and they manually respirated him for many many hours.

If I ever get bitten I may just go there myself as it would be the closest place I know would have antivenom!

• Like 2

Some time ago I made inquiries at various local hospitals as to what to do in the event of being bitten by a snake.

I was advised to kill the snake and get myself to the nearest hospital including the dead snake to identify the species of snake. But whether or not the doctors will know what sort of snake it is or have the correct anti-venom is another question.

If in the case any particular hospital is unable to help, than they refer the victim to another hospital that does have the facilities to treat snakebite. When I asked which hospital would they advise, no one seemed to know? So it appears to be all on a prayer and a hope for the best.

Many of you have mentioned driving to a hospital. Several years ago while camping in Texas my neighbour was bitten on the arm by a rattlesnake. Within 15 minutes he was going into shock and unable to stand up. After he was bitten his wife immediately called 911. It took 20 minutes for the ambulance to arrive. However they had anti venom in the ambulance with them. He was treated on the spot then taken to hospital where he remained for 4 days. Now think about it. If you are able to drive yourself to a hospital it probably means you were not bitten by a poisonous snake.

Some time ago I made inquiries at various local hospitals as to what to do in the event of being bitten by a snake.

I was advised to kill the snake and get myself to the nearest hospital including the dead snake to identify the species of snake. But whether or not the doctors will know what sort of snake it is or have the correct anti-venom is another question.

If in the case any particular hospital is unable to help, than they refer the victim to another hospital that does have the facilities to treat snakebite. When I asked which hospital would they advise, no one seemed to know? So it appears to be all on a prayer and a hope for the best.

How about call the police and animal cruelty authorities ??