Why Some People Need To Get Out More....

HeavyDrinker

you people really expect to be ever integrated in the thai society?

how many real Thai Friends do you have?

is your Relation with your Thai Spouse a non financial one?

No.

Many (I don't mix with Westerners)

No. She's a 'house wife' and doesn't work (outside the house)

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea how you can not make Thai friends, it boogles the mind.

I got heaps of Thai friends and I have only lived here for 3 and a half years.

One tip if you want a Thai friend.

When your around them, you do not tell them all your complaints about Thailand like some tend to do here. I got a mate from Norway, I get along with him fine but he cant make Thai friends.

Everytime he is out with us, he is always making remarks on how stupid Thai people are so the Thai's often ignore him and one of them even wanted to put him on his ass.

• Like 1

Its a similar thing to those that moan about street parties, I just rock up with a couple of bottles of Johnnie Walker and the misses, plonk my arse down and join in. Met some really nice people this way.

• Like 1

Its a similar thing to those that moan about street parties, I just rock up with a couple of bottles of Johnnie Walker and the misses, plonk my arse down and join in. Met some really nice people this way.

Think you will find they are more interested in making friends

with Mr Johnnie than with you.....

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more with that HD! From experience I find that the people I meet with attitudes like "We are guests here so if you don't like it, leave", are working here but fall under the umbrella of the corporates or big companies where everything is taken care of for them and they don't really have to interact. Whereas they are expats, I like to call them plastic expats. (Likely get a bit of sh1t for that! tongue.png )

Of course you also have the knobs and curtain twitchers willing to believe everything that is told to them instead of verifying it for themselves..........whistling.gif

Edit: This is just covering the people living here.

to the contrary, i see them as retirees trapped in the middle of ubon butfuc_k with a wife they cant understand, village headman they don't know and a trip to big C in hopes of an affordable block of cheddar as a weekly highlight.

People on the expat packages are very happy simply because they do not need to interact. They do not have any problems with immigration or visa runs, because someone is bending over backwards to ensure they feel welcome.

The comment was directed to people who may respond to a poster on TV with something like "We are guests here so if you don't like it, leave", not about integrating into the system; that is something else.

The very fact that everything is done for them, can lead to a misunderstanding of what the poster might be saying towards things like visa runs, sorting out insurance, opening bank accounts, etc. So common issues (with which they are helped with) come across as gripes.

Strongly agree with the first part of the post though; never been to ubon buttfuc_k myself, but close to it.............rolleyes.gif

I'm the odd man out it seems. sad.png

I don't have any real Thai friends, nor really does my Thai wife.

I don't have any real friends that suffer from little-man syndrome in the West either though. Or ones with built up emotions from a life of emotional regression.

I have higher-middle class Thai friends through work, but wouldn't consider them as good friends as they're too busy working or with their family.

Luckily enough my wife has no inclination to be 'real friends' with those who posses the traits of the average Thai either.

Do I get a forum ban or something? Or just looked down upon by those who drink Leo with and wai the motosai taxi drivers?

Edited by EmptyBasementBin
  • Like 1

In my time here, I have found that virtually ALL of the small problems (and a fair few of the bigger ones) which invoke this feeble response can usually be very easily resolved to the satisfaction of all parties just by applying a little common sense and a basic understanding of how things work here.

Thais are, on the whole, very reasonable people who dislike confrontation as much as the next man. More often than not, when a problem does arise, most Thais are only too happy - if not relieved - to work any potential unpleasantness out over a few dishes of grub and a bottle (or two) of wallop.

I agree with your sentiments above and the general spirit of your OP. HOWEVER, what do you tell a farang person who has nothing but contempt for the Thais and Thailand, never has anything positive to say about the locals, never tries to adapt to the society, doesn't respect the locals, doesn't attempt to learn the language, doesn't have any Thai friends, constantly points out Thailand's shortcomings as compared to his homeland, treats the locals with disdain, and does nothing but complain day-in and day-out? I think the ONLY appropriate comment for such a person is that he go the <snip!> back to where he came from. What's wrong with that?

Berkshire,

you have just described to a tee the farangs that congregate at a certain farang watering hole I am familair with upcountry.

"I think the ONLY appropriate comment for such a person is that he go the <snip!> back to where he came from. What's wrong with that?'

Agreed, however the only problems are, they have nowhere left to go back to, burned their bridges, and they have no money.

All their money is thaied up in the farang mansion they bought for their princess.

Their life is a cycle of, boredom, which leads to drinking, when drinking resentment sets in, they hate their life and what they have done with it, so they find solace amongst others who have done the same.

Quite pitiful really, a bunch of sad individuals.

• Like 1

There are people living in their home countries all over the World that can do nothing but gripe, moan and complain about every single issue every single day.

They are what's known as "Moaning Faced B*stards who are Not Happy Until They Are Unhappy".

I don't know why you bother with them, they can't help their miserable personalities, and not matter how many times they pack a suitcase and move, they always find that their miserable personality is the one thing they can't unpack.

So they are stuck with it, you should pity them.

Just Sayin' coffee1.gif

"We are guests here so if you don't like it, leave".

If I were a guest, I would expect :-

1) To be invited to stay here.

2) To have my host provide everything free.

Some of you may very well be guests here, unfortunately I am not.

I pay to stay here, I expect to get whatever I pay for, and when I get tired of paying I will leave.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

'Real friends' are the friends that I grew up with.

Probably 8-10 max.

Cannot see how anybody who has been here less than 10 years at least could have a 'real Thai friend', unless you've lived and traveled with each other for a couple of years.

Perhaps people on here are a bit clingy and need to believe.

I do not see what length of time here has to do with having a genuine Thai friend or not. The test of friendship is in what you do for each other. I was here for two years before I got a couple of good Thai friends (one male, one female) who often helped me out if I needed it. And they were not after money either. They did it because they like me.

We'd go out to pubs and bars and restaurants and have some real good fun. One even asked me along to help him out with the local election - he lost anyway, but it was a good insight into how those things work here.

you people really expect to be ever integrated in the thai society?

how many real Thai Friends do you have?

is your Relation with your Thai Spouse a non financial one?

Hi 'aBoomerAbroad'

Well mate my answers to;

Qestion 1......Don't know

Qestion 2..... 2

Qestion.....Yes, (sorry, but this qestion says more about you than you think)

Laters

I was here for two years before I got a couple of good Thai friends (one male, one female) who often helped me out if I needed it. And they were not after money either. They did it because they like me.

We'd go out to pubs and bars and restaurants and have some real good fun. One even asked me along to help him out with the local election - he lost anyway, but it was a good insight into how those things work here.

You and me have very different definitions of a 'real friend'.

Sounds like you had a couple of drinking buddies.

Just because a Thai wants to spend time with you while not asking for money doesn't = a real Thai friend imo. ;)

Ones financial situation has a lot of bearing on ones attitude to both Thailand and Thai people in general.

That is probably true. I come across a lot of envy and resentment from Thais because of what I have and what I can do. Little-man syndrome seems to be a very common trait here.

My Thai friends (or acquaintances I suppose) are all much better off than me, and they are like a different species compared to the poor, lower, Thai educated classes.

The test of friendship is in what you do for each other.

The test of friendship is :-

1) Do they expect me to pay

2) Do they ask for a loan

If the answer to either of those questions is YES = not friend.

You've never lent a friend money ?

Surprised.

I don't know any Farang that has left Thailand because he didn't like it, they all left because they where broke and near destitute.

More to do with whom you mix.

Not all of us associate with bludgers.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Ones financial situation has a lot of bearing on ones attitude to both Thailand and Thai people in general.

That is probably true. I come across a lot of envy and resentment from Thais because of what I have and what I can do. Little-man syndrome seems to be a very common trait here.

My Thai friends (or acquaintances I suppose) are all much better off than me, and they are like a different species compared to the poor, lower, Thai educated classes.

Thais are not the only ones that will resent you, ( Although I have never experienced that from Thais personally ), skint Farangs who have made a right balls up of their lives in Thailand, they will totally resent you,. ( That, I have experienced ).

Edited by Banzai99

I don't know any Farang that has left Thailand because he didn't like it, they all left because they where broke and near destitute.

(Unless of course they were on a contract and expat wage here and moved on when the contract was over.)

And even when they are skint and hate everything Thai, blame their misfortune on Thai people and Thailand in general, can't wait to leave the shithole.............etc etc, they still prolong their stay for as long as possible.

Guess what they do when they get some money ?

Yep, you got it, they come right back to Thailand and its all smiles and paradise again.

I had a pretty much on the bones of his arse friend who had an old Honda Wave for getting about on, and would go on and F#@#ing on about these Farangs in their Fortuners, what the F*#* do they want a motor like that for............probably because I had one.

He had no money, I knew that, but he was a good guy just about scraping by, but eventually he had to leave, no choice, he was totally broke, he then hated everything to do with Thailand and just wanted to get out of this 3rd world hellhole etc etc the usual story.... he would have made a great miserable ThaiVisa member, but he couldn't afford a computer .

Long story short, after 4 years back in the UK his mum died and left the house and contents to the only son, him. Guess what ?

Yep you've guessed right, he sold the house for a lot of money, came straight back to Thailand, bought a Fortuner and a nice Condo, has money in the Bank, and Thailand is wonderful again, and he would never go back to that shithole again ( UK ).

Ones financial situation has a lot of bearing on ones attitude to both Thailand, and,Thai people in general.

Remember, it's not Thailand or Thai people that you hate, it's the freekin' mess you have made of your own life that you hate,

hahaha everything you said spot on espacially the Fortuner crack, bang on that is, just jeaslousy.....to add to that the "why bother coming to Thailand if you eat farang food numpties". You know the ones, skint and can only afford cheap 30 baht meals. If you offered them steak and chips on you they wouldn't hestitate to say yes...morons....and dont get me started on the Thailand should devalue the Baht numpties, this place is full of them.

More to do with whom you mix.

Not all of us associate with bludgers.

Yeah, I should mix only with the wealthy influential people like you do giggle.gif

Do they spend their lives on internet forums also ?

Edited by Banzai99

I'm resting at the moment ...... after

Overeating at an expats breakfast buffet this morning.

Then met some mates at a coffee bar.

This evening, blokes night out with loads of beer.

Is that spending my life on an Internet forum?

Do YOU think I need to get out more?

Edited by TommoPhysicist

'Real friends' are the friends that I grew up with.

Probably 8-10 max.

Cannot see how anybody who has been here less than 10 years at least could have a 'real Thai friend', unless you've lived and traveled with each other for a couple of years.

Perhaps people on here are a bit clingy and need to believe.

That's a gem.

Thailand attracts BETA MALES. This is one link out of many:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Alpha-Male-Characteristics---5-Beta-Male-Traits-to-Avoid&id=737980

The main BETA MALE trait is: Constantly seeking reassurance and approval

I can see that already right here on this forum. You see it here in the real world, too.

It's a desperation to fit in and be wanted and be liked.

I have one Thai friend. But he's more of a acquaintance than anything else. We play golf together. We do business together.

• Like 2

I'm resting at the moment ...... after

Overeating at an expats breakfast buffet this morning.

Then met some mates at a coffee bar.

This evening, blokes night out with loads of beer.

Is that spending my life on an Internet forum?

Do YOU think I need to get out more?

You must be huge with all that going on ?

Slow down mate, you'll have an heart attack, find some poor Farangs to out with, it's more healthy.

Edited by Banzai99

"We are guests here so if you don't like it, leave".

If I were a guest, I would expect :-

1) To be invited to stay here.

2) To have my host provide everything free.

Some of you may very well be guests here, unfortunately I am not.

I pay to stay here, I expect to get whatever I pay for, and when I get tired of paying I will leave.

(Unless of course they were on a contract and expat wage here and moved on when the contract was over.)

And even when they are skint and hate everything Thai, blame their misfortune on Thai people and Thailand in general, can't wait to leave the shithole.............etc etc, they still prolong their stay for as long as possible.

Guess what they do when they get some money ?

Yep, you got it, they come right back to Thailand and its all smiles and paradise again.

I had a pretty much on the bones of his arse friend who had an old Honda Wave for getting about on, and would go on and F#@#ing on about these Farangs in their Fortuners, what the F*#* do they want a motor like that for............probably because I had one.

He had no money, I knew that, but he was a good guy just about scraping by, but eventually he had to leave, no choice, he was totally broke, he then hated everything to do with Thailand and just wanted to get out of this 3rd world hellhole etc etc the usual story.... he would have made a great miserable ThaiVisa member, but he couldn't afford a computer .

Long story short, after 4 years back in the UK his mum died and left the house and contents to the only son, him. Guess what ?

Yep you've guessed right, he sold the house for a lot of money, came straight back to Thailand, bought a Fortuner and a nice Condo, has money in the Bank, and Thailand is wonderful again, and he would never go back to that shithole again ( UK ).

Ones financial situation has a lot of bearing on ones attitude to both Thailand, and,Thai people in general.

Remember, it's not Thailand or Thai people that you hate, it's the freekin' mess you have made of your own life that you hate,

I know, or rather knew, a few (reasonably wealthy) people that decided Thailand was not for them and moved elsewhere after a couple of years.

They did not come back.

Some of us decide that the pro's outweigh the con's, and some of us decide otherwise and move to another country.

Whilst I agree with most of the OP's point, its not possible to just 'get out more' or 'have a discussion' to resolve many issues...

• Like 1

Thailand attracts BETA MALES. This is one link out of many:

http://ezinearticles...Avoid&id=737980

The main BETA MALE trait is: Constantly seeking reassurance and approval

Very amusing, photo of writer clearly displays Beta Male.

Also on reading,

Alpha male will look at women, but not accept every offer (has standards).

Alpha Male will not work as Manager for someone else, has own business.

(I would say he has four out of five points wrong)

Edited by TommoPhysicist