Why Some People Need To Get Out More....

HeavyDrinker

The best people I've ever met = Thai

The most loyal people I've ever met = Thai

The biggest <deleted> I've ever met = Farang

The most disloyal people I've ever met = Farang

I think there is a pattern developing ...................................rolleyes.gif

Perhaps stop propping up bars mate.

• Like 2

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, guess what ?

3 days ago, I was doing some business in Tokyo, long story short, when it came to the point I had to pay for the service, my wallet was missing, I had left it in the Taxi 20 minutes before, I was at a total loss, but I had the reciept from the Taxi driver, a Japanese guy came to my aid , used his mobile phone to call the Taxi company, they in turn called the Taxi driver who stopped, looked in the rear seat and saw my wallet, 20 minutes later, he delivered it to me, unbelievable but true, the equivalent of 80000 Baht was in the wallet but do I want to stay in Japan because in general it is really safe, the people are really nice, the people are ridiculously polite and a Farang can get hot chicks just because he's a Farang ?

You bet I do !!!

BUT......

I'll be back in Thailand in 2 days , whining and moaning about the Thai's. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Banzai99
  • Like 1

^^ Sorry, there is no language barrier, and hasn't been for a few years.

Apologies for your confusion.

tbh I think you're the first person who should have a knowledge of Thai culture who doesn't view the culture of friendship as different!

I just pulled down 'Culture Shock Thailand' off the shelf as the book case is within arm's reach, and they even have a capter dedicated to it.

If I may quote the opening paragraph:

Mr. (name not printed by me), a Western social scientist who spent six years in Thailand, spoke and read Thai and was in daily interaction with Thais, concludes his book 'Everyday life in Thailand' with the words 'I shall leave without ever having developed a single, deep friendship'. Most visitors if they are equally honest, would say the same at the end of their stay.

Before they delve into the cultural differences of friendships.

As I said earlier, it seems people need to psychologically sedate their inner being via basic untruths about themselves, their culture and their social being.

Friendship is friendship is friendship the world over. That's why it is an invitation to ridicule to suppose for even a minute that Thais don't have true friendships with each other.

That quote suggest far more about that visiting western social scientist than it does about Thai culture / friendship. Wow, he was in Thailand for a whopping SIX years, he must be quite an authority on Thai culture.

• Like 1

How any personas has it taken before you finally grasped that little nugget?

Was that to me or some other poor unfortunate ?

OP

Why? how many personas have you had?

Ummmmm............I am a man of many faces.

Edited by Banzai99

What is your understanding of the term 'friend'?

Someone who likes you for being you, someone who spends time with you without expecting a ROI, not someone who sees you as a potential future resource.

So you are pretty lonely then ? tongue.png

On behalf of the very few members here who do frequent the bar scene in Pattaya and Bangkok, I have managed to become good friends with many people from the more disadvantaged section of Thai society and can assure the more hi-so members of this board that they don't all fit the stereotype that so many here like to describe.

• Like 1

Not really

Odd, as you seem somewhat proud in the above post.

it's just a question of not being judgmental about those who might be less fortunate then yourself.

Bit odd that you have to go to brothels to become 'good friends' with those Thais less fortunate than yourself... there's plenty of them out there you know.

May I suggest local companionship and good friendship that doesn't involve payment.

Edited by EmptyBasementBin

It must be quite an accomplishment becoming good friends with uneducated prostitutes in brothels.

I find that you normally get more truth from the uneducated ones. They tend to be a bit more street-wise and can spot BS a lot better than the educated ones.

Just sayin'..........thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Not really

Odd, as you seem somewhat proud in the above post.

it's just a question of not being judgmental about those who might be less fortunate then yourself.

Bit odd that you have to go to brothels to become 'good friends' with those Thais less fortunate than yourself... there's plenty of them out there you know.

May I suggest local companionship and good friendship that doesn't involve payment.

I don't pay my friends. Few bars are actually brothels and not all bargirls are prostitutes. I do, however, realise it's easier to just believe the stereotypes, although a little sad.

• Like 1

I don't pay my friends. Few bars are actually brothels and not all bargirls are prostitutes. I do, however, realise it's easier to just believe the stereotypes, although a little sad.

Seems we have a bargirl expert on here.

Those are always great.

Will you be meeting one of these good-friend bargirls for a chat about Higgs Boson over lunch today?

...and can spot BS a lot better than the educated ones.

True. I just got the maid to read that post and she burst out laughing. biggrin.png

Assume she was looking your way when she read the whole post, or did you just show her this part of it..............coffee1.gif

Edit: Full post:

I find that you normally get more truth from the uneducated ones. They tend to be a bit more street-wise and can spot BS a lot better than the educated ones.

Just sayin'..........thumbsup.gif

Edited by chrisinth

Seems we have a bargirl expert on here.

Those are always great.

Will you be meeting one of these good-friend bargirls for a chat about Higgs Boson over lunch today?

No, I don't understand it myself!

It's based on a farang called Higgs Boson who moved to Mukdahan, had a bit of cash and suddenly found himself at the center of the universe due to the sheer amount of good friends he suddenly had, and how they were so welcoming and went out of their way to help him settle in.

It's based on a farang called Higgs Boson who moved to Mukdahan, had a bit of cash and suddenly found himself at the center of the universe due to the sheer amount of good friends he suddenly had, and how they were so welcoming and went out of their way to help him settle in.

Thanks. Sounds like a nice life and I'm sure he wasn't the judgmental type!

Thanks. Sounds like a nice life and I'm sure he wasn't the judgmental type!

It was, he until refused to give loans to his good friends as he knew they could not possibly repay them.

Then it got a bit cold and ugly.

Well fark my old boots what on earth makes you think that Thais are incapable of same? I suppose it depends on whom you mix with.

Some Thais may be capable of same, I just haven't met any like that yet, therefore I have no Thai friends.

Does that also not count as a friend?

I thought that was a former lover, fits in a different category to friend IMHO.

Can former lovers or girlfriends / boyfriends, ex husbands and wives not become good friends?

And she is just one Thai friend. The other two I've now known for quite a few years.