Thailand's King Treated For Brain Bleed: Palace

webfact

Thailand's king treated for brain bleed: palace

BANGKOK, July 13, 2012 (AFP) - Thailand's deeply revered king, the world's longest reigning monarch, was treated for a minor brain bleed in the hospital where he has lived since 2009, the palace said Friday.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej's heartbeat and blood pressure had returned to normal following the incident, but doctors advised him to suspend public activities for the time being, the royal Household Bureau said in statement.

A team of royal physicians treated the 84-year-old on Thursday evening after he was observed with a "spasming of his right hand" and a "slightly faster heartbeat".

"Doctors used x-rays to examine his brain and found a small amount of blood had percolated through the left side of the meninges (the membrane around the brain)," the statement said. The king was treated with "medicine intravenously and after that the spasm stopped".

The king's illness comes at a particularly sensitive time in politically turbulent Thailand, after a Constitutional Court ruling on Friday that threatened to reignite inflammatory divides in the nation.

The court, which had been surrounded by security forces ahead of the ruling, dismissed an opposition complaint against the governing party, which had faced a possible dissolution in the crunch verdict.

The king was admitted to hospital in September 2009 for treatment of a respiratory condition.

His latest public appearance was Saturday July 7, when he toured the Chao Phraya river on a navy boat. His plans to travel to the central province of Ratchaburi on Sunday have been postponed.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-07-13

• Like 1

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HM is the ONLY person in this country to whom EVERYONE listens.

I agree but few carry out his wise messages, and if they do the next day they forget. when you speak to all they all love him and respect him, this attitude regarding his words are easily forgot, I find it confusing.

I think without this man things would be more bad, this sounds serious this brain bleeding, I wish him all the luck-and speedy recovery.clap2.gifwai.gif

• Like 1