Sunrise Tacos Pattaya Big C Location

SunriseTacos

Yeah I think the local franchise should focus on opening new full service/full menu locations only if they want to expand. My opinion only. Also happy to see them in Jomtien but think there would more business at a central Pattaya location.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is just no big enough market for Mexican food in Pattaya.

First of all it is an American thing as Europeans are not that much into greasy food, and I just consider there are not enough Americans around to support several Mexican restaurants.

Apart from that, Mexican food is pretty high priced compared with other available food choices, and this will hold many people who don't know the Mexican kitchen back from giving it a try.

First of all it is an American thing as Europeans are not that much into greasy food, and I just consider there are not enough Americans around to support several Mexican restaurants.

Apart from that, Mexican food is pretty high priced compared with other available food choices, and this will hold many people who don't know the Mexican kitchen back from giving it a try.

I think it would go okay in Central if it was a full restaurant and the quality was good. Plenty of Thais like trying different food. Mexican has to be healthier than Pizzas and Hamburger joints surely?

Mexican certainly doesn't have to be some greasy and unhealthy experience. Man how I wish a Chipotle would open out here.

• Like 1

I don't think of (good) Mexican food being greasy. So let me get this straight: Europeans think Mexican food has to be greasy? Is that really true? Is that all you've got in Europe -- GREASY Mexican food? That's hilarious!

post-37101-0-14380000-1351825317_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

I don't think of (good) Mexican food being greasy. So let me get this straight: Europeans think Mexican food has to be greasy? Is that really true? Is that all you've got in Europe -- GREASY Mexican food. That's hilarious!

Maybe all they have is TacoBell.

In fact I think Mexican is quite healthy if you eat the right things.

I used to make my own tacos at home.

I would soak the beans overnight then cook them the next day and add a salad, salsa and a bit of cheese. I would accompany this with avocado, sour cream and garlic on the side.

Delicous and quite healthy i would say.

• Like 1

Yes, it can super healthy and light, medium, and it can also be artery blocking badness depending on the actual dish and the cooking style. The cheese obsession is more of a Tex-Mex thing but here in Thailand good luck getting too much cheese! But authentic refried beans are cooked in lard but Mexican places in the U.S. use lard less and less. Based on the taste Sunrise doesn't use lard but on the other hand I don't know what they DO use for cooking fat.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, it can super healthy and light, medium, and it can also be artery blocking badness depending on the actual dish and the cooking style. The cheese obsession is more of a Tex-Mex thing but here in Thailand good luck getting too much cheese! But authentic refried beans are cooked in lard but Mexican places in the U.S. use lard less and less.

I also enjoy black beans with my Mex food which in the US is quite commonly available.

I don't think of (good) Mexican food being greasy. So let me get this straight: Europeans think Mexican food has to be greasy? Is that really true? Is that all you've got in Europe -- GREASY Mexican food. That's hilarious!

I indeed remember we had a few amy years ago in my country, but they went leggs up biggrin.png

Yes, it can super healthy and light, medium, and it can also be artery blocking badness depending on the actual dish and the cooking style. The cheese obsession is more of a Tex-Mex thing but here in Thailand good luck getting too much cheese! But authentic refried beans are cooked in lard but Mexican places in the U.S. use lard less and less. Based on the taste Sunrise doesn't use lard but on the other hand I don't know what they DO use for cooking fat.

Do they generally use refried beans in Mexico? i always wondered what the deal with that was. The normal beans soaked overnight and then cooked slowly are delicious. i used to add a bit of chilli to the beans to give them a bit of zip.

I indeed remember we had a few amy years ago in my country, but they went leggs up biggrin.png

Taco Bell, you do know, isn't Mexican food? Even Taco Bell advertised it isn't Mexican food when they launched some stores in Mexico. It is Mexican flavored American FAST FOOD. Edited by Jingthing

Mexican food in the UK is a joke. I've had much better at the best two Mexican places in Bangkok. Your place in Jomtien is likely better as well. I might just try it soon....!

Edit: There is no Taco Bell in the UK.

Edited by smokie36

They have Taco Bell in London. If tacos are not Mexican what are they? When I went to Taco Bell I got tacos and burritos so if that's not Mexican what is it? I will agree its not authentic Mexican but its Mexican food. Don't know what the other guy is on about but me and everyone I know back in the uk who I have eaten Mexican with wouldn't class it as greasy just boring once you have it a few times. I'm sure in Mexico or LA the food would be a lot less boring and not so repetitive on the taste where everything you eat tastes like each other.

Edit: There is no Taco Bell in the UK.

They have Taco Bell in London.

Now I'm just a dumb yank after all but isn't London in the UK?whistling.gif

Went to Sunrise Jomtien today.

Place was empty. Service sucked. Portions small. No chips. Expensive. Went away hungry.

Too bad the staff doesn't appreciate the effort or expense the boss has invested.

Excuse me but did you bother to ASK for chips? Because I find it hard to believe if you did that you wouldn't get the standard gratis portion of chips which is their policy.

why do you have to ask for gratis? Do you have to ask for the bill in order to pay? do you have to ask for the menu? They should bring the gratis chips right when you sit down and give you the menu.. period.. if you have to ask then they are not doing their job.

If any asking should be done it should be from the service staff to the customer.

you are biting off your nose to spite your face. you didn't ask for chips you didn't get chips. training issue aside they were there if you wanted them

If tacos are not Mexican what are they? When I went to Taco Bell I got tacos and burritos so if that's not Mexican what is it?

Something else. That's what Taco Bell itself says. I suggest to believe them.

http://seattletimes....acobell100.html

"One look alone is enough to tell that Taco Bell is not a 'taqueria,' " the company said in a half-page newspaper ad. "It is a new fast-food alternative that does not pretend to be Mexican food."

BTW, Taco Bell has failed miserably in Mexico (in my view, well deserved).

Mexico

Taco Bell has attempted to enter the Mexican market twice. After a highly-publicised launch in Mexico City in 1992, all the restaurants were closed two years later. In September 2007, Taco Bell returned to Monterrey, this time promoting itself as selling "authentic American food," but closed in January 2010 due to low patronage

wiki

I think in today's Thailand, with the right location and a savvy marketing program (and menu tweaking) to Thais, Taco Bell could enter the Thai market and succeed. Thai trendies are starting to like Mexican food and Thais wouldn't know or care that Taco Bell isn't Mexican food. Not that I want them to. Just saying.

BTW, it's really not that simple. "Real" California style burritos like the (deservedly) legendary San Francisco Mission district burritos are not a typical Mexican food as found in Mexico but Mexicans in the USA quite love them.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xaa1bn_man-v-food-super-burrito-in-san-fra_travel

Edited by Jingthing

I've had a look....bearing in mind I lived there for many years....and there isn't one at all. Still waiting for your link JusticeFT96.

It may be on the outskirts of London, I know for 100% they have one, will try and find a link for you today.

Is Essex in London? I thought it was, anyway its in Essex, I know its there for 100% because just 2 months ago my friend was on messenger to me boasting about it because when we go to America together after a few drinks we would always end up in a Taco Bell stuffing our faces.

http://www.lakeside.uk.com/Shopping/Store-Finder/Taco-Bell

Seems they have 2 in the UK now...

http://www.tacobelluk.co.uk/company-information.html

In Manchester it seems, not too far from my home in Liverpool, if I am really desperate I suppose I could go there to try it although there is a new Mexican just opened where I live that I am eager to try.

Jing you love to try and prove yourself right over everything. One minute you are telling me that hummus sold in a greek shop is not greek, then your trying to tell me that mexican food sold in an american shop is american.

Everything on their menu is mexican near enough from what I can see. Its just not up to the traditional mexican standards, its fast food just like McDonalds is nowhere near as good as traditional burgers sold throughout the US.

Obviously they would fail in Mexico, its like PF Changs opening up in thailand or china etc they are selling to the locals where outside you probably get street food much tastier and cheaper.

I've had a look....bearing in mind I lived there for many years....and there isn't one at all. Still waiting for your link JusticeFT96.

Lakeside Shopping Centre on June 28, 2010.[55] Taco Bell opened a second store in Basildon on November 29, 2010 and the third in the Manchester Arndale on November 7, 2011.

none in london since 1986

the taco bell is apparently in lakeside.

Lakeside Shopping Centre on June 28, 2010.[55] Taco Bell opened a second store in Basildon on November 29, 2010 and the third in the Manchester Arndale on November 7, 2011.

Obviously they would fail in Mexico, its like PF Changs opening up in thailand or china etc they are selling to the locals where outside you probably get street food much tastier and cheaper.

Taco Bell style fast food is not remotely the same product as street food found in Mexico.

Taco Bell style fast food is not remotely the same product as street food found in Mexico.

I give up, its like saying a Chinese take away in England is not Chinese food because its not the same as Chinese street food found in china. Indian food in England is not Indian food because its not the same food as Indian street food. Mexican food in taco bell in America is not American food because the standard is not the same as street food in Mexico.

They are Chinese, Indian and Mexican foods, not the same authentic tastes, but they are that Chinese, Mexican and Indian nonetheless.

That didn't sound like you are giving up. coffee1.gif

I do know what Taco Bell company thinks (that it isn't Mexican food and they don't even market it as Mexican food in the USA, they market it as FAST FOOD) and I know what Mexican food is like both in Mexico and in the wonderful Mexican taquerias in the USA. The thing is, it's a complicated question, and I won't be put into a rigid box about this that I don't believe in just because a poster on Thaivisa is trying to artificially force a black and white model on a grey area issue. Here, I am talking about things like San Francisco Mission District burritos which happen to be the historical roots of the burritos at Sunrise. These were invented in the USA and not served in Mexico but I know for a fact Mexican people exposed to them accept them as a Mexican food (that was developed in California). Mexican people do not accept TACO BOWLS as Mexican food. To them, that is totally gringo. Like I said, complex, and suggest we move on ...

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I still do not accept burritos containing rice as being Mexican food. But, apparently, JT, you know Mexicans who disagree with me. I have not polled Mexicans about burritos containing rice - and I admire your integrity - so I differ to your judgement. Let them eat rice! (If it is white, greasy rice.)