Sunrise Tacos Pattaya Big C Location

SunriseTacos

There was about 6 staff visible during my last visit.

4 sitting outside, 2 watching TV.

Without a farang manager on site, they are not going to make it.

I don't agree that only a farang manager can make the staff work. You do however have to pay your manager a good wage as incentive to keep the staff working and continue to play an active role in the running of the restaurant.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WeLL the wife and i went in today at lunch time and had a look with a view to getting food ,but i must be honest ime not a cheap charlie but do i really want to spend 300 baht plus to eat in a food court ? the answer was no ,so icant comment on the food but i think its to expensive for where it is .

Went to Sunrise Jomtien today.

Place was empty. Service sucked. Portions small. No chips. Expensive. Went away hungry.

Too bad the staff doesn't appreciate the effort or expense the boss has invested.

Excuse me but did you bother to ASK for chips? Because I find it hard to believe if you did that you wouldn't get the standard gratis portion of chips which is their policy.

why do you have to ask for gratis? Do you have to ask for the bill in order to pay? do you have to ask for the menu? They should bring the gratis chips right when you sit down and give you the menu.. period.. if you have to ask then they are not doing their job.

I agree. It's a service issue. The owner has commented about this before and said he tries hard to train the staff about this. But he isn't there all the time, etc. This is Thailand. There are service issues here even in the hiso places. That said, I think people should be more reasonable. At Jomtien, their policy remains, a gratis portion of chips (which are usually very good except for a possible new issue with oversalting) and unlimited access to their salsa bar. No other Mexican place in town does anything like that.

Hi All,

Here is the update on Al Pastor Big C - I was there saturday pretty much all day (in and out). While I was there, I noticed the back of our spit machine looked like the 4th of July (for Americans). So, I opened it up and whoa......a gas leak that was actually lit and burning furiously. So, we shut it down and called the gas man. He doesn't work Sundays, so today our machine is away for an operation. Update - it will be back on site today, late afternoon. The operation was a success, minimal blood loss.

I have made the decision to also offer soft flour tortillas with Al Pastor. Why? Well, soft flour is a bit easier on the pallet, and seems to appeal to a much wider audience. We make our corn tortillas from 100% fresh corn. Even I like the soft flour better with Al Pastor. However, corn will also be available, simply let us know which one when ordering. I have also reconfirmed that we don't add cabbage. We STRICTLY add lettuce, Al Pastor pork, onions, cilantro and a fresh grilled pineapple wedge. If you don't get it this way, post here.

Saw some comments on free chips. Still can't understand why my staff &^%$^% this up. So, today, all staff will be wearing name tags. If you don't get your chips after ordering (we don't give free chips for people who come in, read the newspaper, use the toilet, order water and leave), simply note the name of the food server and post here. For anyone who posts such an incident here, I will award a Baht 500 gift certificate.

Today, we are moving the break table away from that outside corner of the restaurant. That area is somewhat of a no mans land, and I have heard that Jomtien Complex will be renovating that entrance for the addition of a new hotel. That being said, we are moving our break table away because I also agree that it doesn't look great.

Finally, Big C has approached us, and it looks like we will be getting a dedicated seating area. We are thinking of something along the lines of Sunrise Promenade (next to Fashion Island). If you know that location, they have done a great job with the tables, umbrellas, etc. If we can get this going, we will also re jig some of the menu items and offer better promotions. Horchata is now there too, I tried it Sat.

Gil

• Like 1

The menu at Sunrise at least at Jomtien is complicated. For the servers that don't speak English well (the Filipinos excepted) anything you might say that is more complicated than pointing to a menu item is problematical. I have to agree there are some troubling service issues at Sunrise. I think we may have to be a bit more proactive at such a place with complications on the menu. If you want corn tortillas, make sure that desire is CONFIRMED by the staff in some way. It should be their job to be more competent? Yes. But bottom line you want what you want, you can usually get it if you try there.

I think there is good evidence the owner does try to be responsive to repeated comments here. Such as napkins. Now they are on tables at Jomtien. Spoons for salsa. Now at the salsa bar. Sweet carnitas. The owner claimed to have fixed that. It's a process and I continue to wish Sunrise good luck as I do think some of what they offer, nobody else in town comes close to.

I ate at another Mexican restaurant with my 2 Mexican chefs the other day. I try to watch the competition, and compare to our food. I won't name the restaurant, but I have to say Sunrise is way ahead. That is an unbiased opinion, anyone who knows me knows that I try to be fair.

Where we ate, the flour tortillas were dry like paper (no oil in the mix I think). The rice was completely inedible, and the beans were off. They did however, have some nice salsas which I thoroughly enjoyed.

For a variety of reasons (cost, noted unpopularity), we are now thinking of removing our mango salsa from the salsa bar, and replacing it with a nice pico de gallo. I think I will do this today. Tomato mild will also still be on the salsa bar.

Gil

• Like 1

I went to Bigc yesterday thinking of checking out Sunrise but I ended up with a kebab plate at 79baht, Sunrise is just too expensive for me.

Food is good, I once went to Jomtien restaurant but the VAT + Service charge bill overload pissed me off. I know they cant avoid VAT but service charge, <deleted> ?

Edited by yoslim

Gil: you're a hard working man. I'm impressed at how you listen to your customers. And as you know, it's impossible to please everybody. Kinda like ice cream. Not everybody likes chocolate, or vanilla, or strawberry, etc.

Great job.

I have a wife and 2 small kids. I'll do anything to stay out of the house! :) lol.

I am back on Friday and will walk up and try the offerings at Big C extra.

For me the price is not an issue within reason as long as the food is good.

But I am probably in the minority when it comes to price sensitivity as I numbed by paying Singapore prices for too long. 300baht seems cheap for somehting that is good.

Many long term residents in Pattaya are on very fixed budgets so the cost might be prohibitive which is why Central is probably a better location where you get a lot more tourists rather than expats.

I for one appreciate the efforts at responsiveness from the Sunrise management.

Sunrise ain't perfect, it's not East LA transported to Thailand, and it never will be. But the hard word and effort put into what it is, which is indeed offering local Mexican food lovers something pretty good, ain't chopped liver either.

The menu at Sunrise at least at Jomtien is complicated. For the servers that don't speak English well (the Filipinos excepted) anything you might say that is more complicated than pointing to a menu item is problematical. I have to agree there are some troubling service issues at Sunrise. I think we may have to be a bit more proactive at such a place with complications on the menu. If you want corn tortillas, make sure that desire is CONFIRMED by the staff in some way. It should be their job to be more competent? Yes. But bottom line you want what you want, you can usually get it if you try there.

I think there is good evidence the owner does try to be responsive to repeated comments here. Such as napkins. Now they are on tables at Jomtien. Spoons for salsa. Now at the salsa bar. Sweet carnitas. The owner claimed to have fixed that. It's a process and I continue to wish Sunrise good luck as I do think some of what they offer, nobody else in town comes close to.

I ate at another Mexican restaurant with my 2 Mexican chefs the other day. I try to watch the competition, and compare to our food. I won't name the restaurant, but I have to say Sunrise is way ahead. That is an unbiased opinion, anyone who knows me knows that I try to be fair.

Where we ate, the flour tortillas were dry like paper (no oil in the mix I think). The rice was completely inedible, and the beans were off. They did however, have some nice salsas which I thoroughly enjoyed.

For a variety of reasons (cost, noted unpopularity), we are now thinking of removing our mango salsa from the salsa bar, and replacing it with a nice pico de gallo. I think I will do this today. Tomato mild will also still be on the salsa bar.

Gil

Mango is now off the salsa bar. A nice tangy Pico De Gallo is in its place.

Gil

• Like 1

I am back on Friday and will walk up and try the offerings at Big C extra.

For me the price is not an issue within reason as long as the food is good.

But I am probably in the minority when it comes to price sensitivity as I numbed by paying Singapore prices for too long. 300baht seems cheap for somehting that is good.

Many long term residents in Pattaya are on very fixed budgets so the cost might be prohibitive which is why Central is probably a better location where you get a lot more tourists rather than expats.

I dont think its a question of residents being on a tight budget ,more that we have got used to "Thai" prices ,while tourists think many things are cheap which to our mind is not ,for instance i commented that spending 300 baht for the wife and I was a lot for a food court when you are used to going shopping then spending perhaps 100 baht for food afterwards,

that said i am not saying that the food is to expensive ,just a bit high for a Big C food court where most residents have gone to shop.

• Like 1

Gil

Mango is now off the salsa bar. A nice tangy Pico De Gallo is in its place.

Gil

Gil,

Sounds like you are working hard to improve things. I commend you on this. Any chance of dropping the ++ charging? Do that and I'm there. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

For the owners benefit.

We had a wonderful meal at SRT in Jomtien on Friday night - I had the burritos which was so tasty and I ordered the same thing tonight at Big C and had to throw it in the bin as it was terrible - I think there's a bit a tweaking to be done.

For the owners benefit.

We had a wonderful meal at SRT in Jomtien on Friday night - I had the burritos which was so tasty and I ordered the same thing tonight at Big C and had to throw it in the bin as it was terrible - I think there's a bit a tweaking to be done.

What was wrong with it? I had the burrito at Big C the other day, it was the same as our restaurant. We use exactly the same food, exactly the same preparation, and our cooks are experienced cooks from the restaurant. If you give me something to go on, I'll check it out.

Gil

For the owners benefit.

What was wrong with it? I had the burrito at Big C the other day, it was the same as our restaurant. We use exactly the same food, exactly the same preparation, and our cooks are experienced cooks from the restaurant. If you give me something to go on, I'll check it out.

Gil

It was very dry, tasted sour like either the beans or meat were not right. Bottom line, it was on the opposite spectrum to the one we had at Jomtien last Friday night.

Just for your info I know when something is sour, where it shouldn't be, I am a Butcher by trade and also qualifications is food prep and catering.

Edited by seadoo

For the owners benefit.

Gil

Actually having thought about the response above, and I'll be clear on this point that I'm not looking for a replacement and/or refund, but instead of going into a semi defence mode I thought something along the lines relative to CRM like

"sorry to hear that, whilst we investigate this, let us offer......as our way of apologising for any .... "

By the way in order to investigate this could you please let us know a little more about ...."

Just feel my original comment was met in a rather defensive mode.

I agree the response was defensive but in fairness initially you didn't say specifically why it was rubbish bin worthy.

Speaking of beans in the burritos, I tried the whole "red" beans the other day for the first time. Sad to say they were not cooked nearly long enough. Al dente beans is one thing but these beans were just not cooked enough. Another poster mentioned that long ago and in my experience I can confirm that. Not talking about the black beans or the refritos (too garlicky) but the whole red beans.

I agree the response was defensive but in fairness initially you didn't say specifically why it was rubbish bin worthy.

Speaking of beans in the burritos, I tried the whole "red" beans the other day for the first time. Sad to say they were not cooked nearly long enough. Al dente beans is one thing but these beans were just not cooked enough. Another poster mentioned that long ago and in my experience I can confirm that. Not talking about the black beans or the refritos (too garlicky) but the whole red beans.

I was there today, and tried the burrito. It seemed ok to me. I am not defensive, just trying to ascertain where the problem is. We have also not served red beans for months, having taken them off the menu for quite some time now. I'll check our black beans and re fried (pinto) today. There is no excuse for undercooked beans, but not sure I can help on the re fried because I like garlic and probably wouldn't notice it.

We get about 3 comment cards a day, which we read of course. The vast majority of our customers give us high marks, and while we strive for excellence, there is simply no way that everyone is going to be pleased all the time. Ex. my wife and I visited one of our most favorite (and $$) restaurants the other day for their scallops. Arg. They changed the ONE dish that we used to look forward to for days on end! Lol. Oh well, if anybody knows where we can get great a great scallop dish do let me know!

Gil

I was there today, and tried the burrito. It seemed ok to me. I am not defensive, just trying to ascertain where the problem is. We have also not served red beans for months, having taken them off the menu for quite some time now. I'll check our black beans and re fried (pinto) today. There is no excuse for undercooked beans, but not sure I can help on the re fried because I like garlic and probably wouldn't notice it.

We get about 3 comment cards a day, which we read of course. The vast majority of our customers give us high marks, and while we strive for excellence, there is simply no way that everyone is going to be pleased all the time. Ex. my wife and I visited one of our most favorite (and $$) restaurants the other day for their scallops. Arg. They changed the ONE dish that we used to look forward to for days on end! Lol. Oh well, if anybody knows where we can get great a great scallop dish do let me know!

Gil

I had whole red beans in a burrito a few weeks ago (perhaps about a month at most) so your information is a bit flawed. I know it is your restaurant, but sorry, I know what I ate and I have no doubt about it. I like garlic too but I wonder are you using garlic POWDER (or garlic salt) in the refritos because of course that tastes different?

Forgetting the garlic thing for a moment, I feel in general your refritos are simply not delicious. I know you don't use lard which is the authentic flavor and I totally approve of not using lard. But I have tasted non-lard refritos in many places in the US resulting is very delicious refritos. Yours aren't. If they could be improved with your Mexican chef consultant that would be a major enhancement. I don't know what the problem is as I'm not a chef. The flavor of the fat you use? The cooking technique

Like so many local restaurants in Thailand, there are consistency issues and quality control issues. Maybe you need a full time Mexican taster! Just kidding. Or maybe I'm not.

Your comment cards are nice but realistically you must realize that the vast majority of people who have a negative experience anywhere never say anything about it in any way.

Edited by Jingthing

Gil

One thing that I did notice is that our burrito is almost impossible to eat without a knife. Alas, there are no knives available in the food court. No shortage of challenges here! lol. So, we are now out picking up some plastic knives. We will serve a knife with each burrito / chicken wrap, and keep a box of them on the front counter. Both Macro and Big C are out of stock though, at the moment. Not sure where we will pick them up. Not sure how it will work with a stainless fork, and a plastic knife!

Gil

We are now also looking at a beach road location. It is just next to Royal Garden, at the front of the "new" walking street. I think it used to be a Pan Pan, or similar pizza or Italian place. We talked with the owner, it is very pricey. Its a good location though, with both inside and outside seating in a high foot traffic location. Parking in the Royal Garden. Interesting prospect.

Gil

We are now also looking at a beach road location. It is just next to Royal Garden, at the front of the "new" walking street. I think it used to be a Pan Pan, or similar pizza or Italian place. We talked with the owner, it is very pricey. Its a good location though, with both inside and outside seating in a high foot traffic location. Parking in the Royal Garden. Interesting prospect.

Gil

Sounds perfect. But Pan Pan had good crowds and didn't make it there so ... maybe ...

Gil

I had whole red beans in a burrito a few weeks ago (perhaps about a month at most) so your information is a bit flawed. I know it is your restaurant, but sorry, I know what I ate and I have no doubt about it. I like garlic too but I wonder are you using garlic POWDER (or garlic salt) in the refritos because of course that tastes different?

Forgetting the garlic thing for a moment, I feel in general your refritos are simply not delicious. I know you don't use lard which is the authentic flavor and I totally approve of not using lard. But I have tasted non-lard refritos in many places in the US resulting is very delicious refritos. Yours aren't. If they could be improved with your Mexican chef consultant that would be a major enhancement. I don't know what the problem is as I'm not a chef. The flavor of the fat you use? The cooking technique

Like so many local restaurants in Thailand, there are consistency issues and quality control issues. Maybe you need a full time Mexican taster! Just kidding. Or maybe I'm not.

Your comment cards are nice but realistically you must realize that the vast majority of people who have a negative experience anywhere never say anything about it in any way.

I tried the black beans today, and the re fried. Both were excellent, the re fried was good. I liked the bits of garlic in it.

For the comment cards, you would be suprised by the comments people make! lol.

Gil

Gil

Sounds perfect. But Pan Pan had good crowds and didn't make it there so ... maybe ...

Yes, I am curious why Pan Pan would not make it there. Their shop here in Jomtien usually does good food, reasonable and cheap pricing. I was told the rent there was 300k per month. Ouch. You'd be suprised how much we pay in Jomtien.

Gil

Gil

I tried the black beans today, and the re fried. Both were excellent, the re fried was good. I liked the bits of garlic in it.

For the comment cards, you would be suprised by the comments people make! lol.

Gil

I wasn't criticizing the black beans. I'll grant you tastes are subjective but the places I love in the U.S. were all very popular and the characteristics of the refritos were very different. I would think your target would be the flavor of where your kind of food is from, the USA (not Mexico actually where refritos would be larded). You're the owner. You say your food is excellent. Do you appreciate the conflict of interest? Of course you would say that. Any owner would. This is another chance here for you to hear some more honest opinions. Not that your opinion isn't honest but you have a clear vested interest. Edited by Jingthing

Statistically speaking 9 out of 10 customers who have a bad experience will never communicate this with the business and given other options will simply buy from a competitor or alternative fast food.

How do I know, well one of my previous roles was in marketing for Dominos Pizza where we lost a huge market share to Pizza Hut, and it wasn't until we started to listen to our customers that we managed to regain the business. Dominos previously in Thailand is a classic example.

If you are not interested in listening and always want to question the customers opinion then I wish you luck as in this industry market burn can come very quickly.

• Like 1

Statistically speaking 9 out of 10 customers who have a bad experience will never communicate this with the business and given other options will simply buy from a competitor or alternative fast food.

How do I know, well one of my previous roles was in marketing for Dominos Pizza where we lost a huge market share to Pizza Hut, and it wasn't until we started to listen to our customers that we managed to regain the business. Dominos previously in Thailand is a classic example.

If you are not interested in listening and always want to question the customers opinion then I wish you luck as in this industry market burn can come very quickly.

Well yes and no. Pattaya being a major international beach resort gets a lot of one offs. Not meaning to be rude but if someone from the Ukraine goes to Sunrise the one time they typically aren't going to know what refritos are SUPPOSED to taste like in the first place. Nothing about Sunrise here, but restaurants in a town like this with the right location and the right look don't really have to be all that good to sell their food and make their profits.

Maybe if the guy serving was not slouched over the counter clocking up i higher score on his mobile game machine it would give a more proffesional outlook and stand out more as a restuarant rather than another thai food court outlet. I keep thinking about trying the burrito but the kebab shop knocks it out of court on price and for a restuarant the santa fa think is the name for 99 baht special meal and restuarant feel. Needs more more posative posts before i am tempted to pay that for a shopping trip meal. dont know why staff are allowed to play with mobiles when they are paid to be working, maybe do some wiping down or some thing. When the clocks on the mobiles should be switched off. maybe worth checking with the food court management about the knife situation, the kebab shop did it as a service issue but the food court stopped him.