Sunrise Tacos Pattaya Big C Location

SunriseTacos

Been in big c today, sat across tacos for 30 minutes. No business at all. Lunch time, food court packed, anna kebab wrapping kebabs like there are no tomorow, but sunrise didnt have any single visitor. Too pricy for this area

Yesterday was our opening day. Yes, it was quiet. Today however, we did more business by 2pm than all of yesterday. Give us a chance. Today, we did at least 10 takeaway orders by 1pm. We are now speaking with Big C about a dedicated seating area, with wait staff also to try to get away from the food court mentality.

Gil

I wish you the best of luck in your new location. However, I think you would be better off forgetting the idea of a wait staff in a food court and just use the money you would have spent on extra staff to lower the prices! Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been in big c today, sat across tacos for 30 minutes. No business at all. Lunch time, food court packed, anna kebab wrapping kebabs like there are no tomorow, but sunrise didnt have any single visitor. Too pricy for this area

With due respect, I think Central Mall basement food court is a better target market. Russians might actually try it. (Need a Russian translated menu though.)

You are right, Central Mall basement food court would have been a much better location. It just opened though so we will see what happens. I plan on trying it out soon, but might get distracted and get a kebab with all the talk here of how good they are. I only made it to the taco truck outside Avenue mall once before it "disappeared".

We are now speaking with Central Mall, and have a location proposed. We are in discussions, and I agree that this mall might be more appropriate for a Sunrise. The mobile truck is still with us, it will be re opening somewhere in Pattaya. We had to move out of The Avenue due to demolition of the adjacent parking lot.

Best,

Gil

You probably already know this better than me, but in my view the luxury food court area at Central is a REAL DUD. Maybe there isn't a good space in the basement food court but a dedicated location in the mall would be good.

So now Sunrise offers THREE sizes of burritos.

The small at the mall. (And the regular.)

At Jomtien there is the regular and the LARGE.

I think the regular is a good size for a typical average westerner if hungry.

Just to clarify, we have only 2 sizes - the normal size (at the restaurant) and a smaller version offered at Big C together with the normal size (which we call Large, to differentiate it from the Small size). This Lg and Sm nomenclature is only used at Big C.

Best,

Gil

You probably already know this better than me, but in my view the luxury food court area at Central is a REAL DUD. Maybe there isn't a good space in the basement food court but a dedicated location in the mall would be good.

True, agreed. I have not been a fan of the food court at Central for a couple of reasons. Namely, I hate the parking situation, and having to circle up 5 flights just to fight for a space. That's me though, I guess. In the mall would be good, but very $$ for the build out. A long waiting list, too.

I am not going to name names, but some of the other restaurants in the Big C location are horrible. And yet, still busy with only just slightly lower pricing than Sunrise. Confusing, maybe it hinges all around the stigma of being in the food court. Our plan is, let's see how it goes for a couple of months, and make some adjustments as needed. Today, several customers came up to me and said thanks for making our food available in this location. That was a positive affirmation at least.

Gil

Yesterday was our opening day. Yes, it was quiet. Today however, we did more business by 2pm than all of yesterday. Give us a chance. Today, we did at least 10 takeaway orders by 1pm. We are now speaking with Big C about a dedicated seating area, with wait staff also to try to get away from the food court mentality.

Gil

I wish you the best of luck in your new location. However, I think you would be better off forgetting the idea of a wait staff in a food court and just use the money you would have spent on extra staff to lower the prices!

Fair comment. What we are thinking is, a dedicated area, railings, umbrellas, a cool floor, some decor, etc.

We already offer set packages at Baht 165 which includes a soft drink, generous portion of chips, and a main. Had such a customer today come up and say he was full to the brim when I tried to sell him a pie slie.

Best,

Gil

Gil

I wish you the best of luck in your new location. However, I think you would be better off forgetting the idea of a wait staff in a food court and just use the money you would have spent on extra staff to lower the prices!

Fair comment. What we are thinking is, a dedicated area, railings, umbrellas, a cool floor, some decor, etc.

We already offer set packages at Baht 165 which includes a soft drink, generous portion of chips, and a main. Had such a customer today come up and say he was full to the brim when I tried to sell him a pie slie.

Best,

Gil

Ok dont go on ,me and the wife will give you a try.tongue.png

went today as i like th emexican food i had in California, how ever not the mexican food i had in mexico as it nearly killed us, but yes for the food court the prices were a deterent, the Santa Fe thinks its called at 100 baht in a restuarant setting or a 75 baht kebab. the kebab won hands down at half the price. and few fixtures and fittings by way of of seting and seating and no waitress service, simply did not add up for me. I also prefer cash than the card, i see its the Big C card system which would work for 2 people at 40-50 baht but when its 160+ each how much do you put on the card 400-500.

Weird rules in that food court the kebab owner used to have knives and forks on the stall which was handy, the food centre manager told him he was not allowed to do that. TIT.

Get the taste right and the food will sell.

The carnitas is too sweet. Is it pre chopped and sitting in a sweet sauce?

Your preaching to the choir! The weird thing is that carnitas was much better, actually decent for many months before it turned all sugary sweet. As I know they CAN do better because they did before, it is hard to understand why they continue with the sugary carnitas. This also happened to the fruit salsas. Before they were sweet. Now they're super cloying. Maybe the sugar is used as a preservative to keep stuff usable for longer, but from a culinary point of view, it's a strike out. Another meat there that is very disappointing is the carne asada. Yes it's beef but there's no taste of the GRILL about it. Edited by Jingthing

The carnitas I enjoy is greasy and salty.

A big hunk of seasoned, deep fried meat, chopped with a cleaver and placed on a fresh tortilla.

That sounds about right though it tastes better than the words you use to describe it. Their carnitas was never world class but before I think it was acceptable. The sweet stuff, I just can't order it anymore. If they happen to fix that sometime and get the message that sugary carnitas is just simply wrong, somebody please post about it. Edited by Jingthing

went today as i like th emexican food i had in California, how ever not the mexican food i had in mexico as it nearly killed us, but yes for the food court the prices were a deterent, the Santa Fe thinks its called at 100 baht in a restuarant setting or a 75 baht kebab. the kebab won hands down at half the price. and few fixtures and fittings by way of of seting and seating and no waitress service, simply did not add up for me. I also prefer cash than the card, i see its the Big C card system which would work for 2 people at 40-50 baht but when its 160+ each how much do you put on the card 400-500.

Weird rules in that food court the kebab owner used to have knives and forks on the stall which was handy, the food centre manager told him he was not allowed to do that. TIT.

The kebabs are 75 Baht now??? They were 60 Baht last time I went. I think I'll be eating Thai food if I go there in future.

You can get knives and forks from by the food court service counters.

The carnitas I enjoy is greasy and salty.

A big hunk of seasoned, deep fried meat, chopped with a cleaver and placed on a fresh tortilla.

That sounds about right though it tastes better than the words you use to describe it. Their carnitas was never world class but before I think it was acceptable. The sweet stuff, I just can't order it anymore. If they happen to fix that sometime and get the message that sugary carnitas is just simply wrong, somebody please post about it.

Just to update everyone, our Big C location has shown 3 consecutive days of rising sales. That might not say much though, as our first day we were REALLY quiet. All in all though, its working out well. I was there yesterday with our Mexican chef. We were selling 220 baht burritos right up until 8:30pm, and chicken wraps were also going out the door. Lots of people stopping by our main restaurant also, after seeing our brochures at Big C.

We tasted the al pastor; you were correct, it was a bit on the sweet side. We have now backed off the sweetness. All of our chefs doing the prep work are now informed to reduce sweetness, you should see a marked change by today. Thank you for the input, and we do try to listen.

Also, just to let you know, we are working on a Tacos Al Pastor dish staight off the BBQ spit. We have picked up a kebab machine, and will be doing a nice Al Pastor at the Big C location shortly for very nice per piece pricing. We'll shave the meat directly into a soft corn, or soft flour tortilla, and you can mix and match your additions or salsas as desired (e.g., onion, pineapple, cilantro, etc). We'll try to make it as tasty as possible, and authenticate. This will hopefully draw some of the Thai crowd as well to come and take a try.

We have not sold a margarita yet, so likely we will remove this from the menu. We have added Horchata to the Big C location now also, in my mind there is nothing better than a hot and tasty al pastor mixed with an ice cold horchata.

Best,

Gil

• Like 1

I was there yesterday. Quite a few customers. Quite a few take aways. I thought 20B for a side of salsa was a bit expensive. Would be nice if you could get just a small "dab" with your tacos for free. 20B is fine if you are also getting a big order of chips.

thumbsup.gif Hey! Thanks for listening about the too sweet carnitas!clap2.gif

A reminder: It only happened once so far but please make sure the CHIPS aren't over salted. My last visit this happened and it wasn't subtle.

A question: is your Al Pastor at Jomtien cooked on a BBQ spit?

Edited by Jingthing

I was there yesterday. Quite a few customers. Quite a few take aways. I thought 20B for a side of salsa was a bit expensive. Would be nice if you could get just a small "dab" with your tacos for free. 20B is fine if you are also getting a big order of chips.

No please don't tell me you are charging for salsa with food. That's like mc Donald charging for ketchup or a pizza place charging for parm cheese.

Please reconsider this

A reminder: It only happened once so far but please make sure the CHIPS aren't over salted. My last visit this happened and it wasn't subtle.

Yes, the spit is now on site. The gas line is being hooked up tonight (I hope). In the morning, our Mexican chefs are coming down from BKK to assist with the marinade. I tried the Al Pastor today, it can be improved. We are re-confirming the flavors / taste in the marinade. I have a hunch we are not using enough Achiote paste. We'll figure it out in the morning. From there, we will marinate for 3-4 hours, and put on the spit at about 4pm. If you come by at 6pm, we will be handing out free Al Pastor tacos (max 2 per person please) until 8pm. Before going though, please wait for a confirmation from me, I will post by 3pm just to be safe. Anything can happen between now and then (e.g., our machine dies, etc).

Gil

• Like 1

Yes, the spit is now on site. The gas line is being hooked up tonight (I hope). In the morning, our Mexican chefs are coming down from BKK to assist with the marinade. I tried the Al Pastor today, it can be improved. We are re-confirming the flavors / taste in the marinade. I have a hunch we are not using enough Achiote paste. We'll figure it out in the morning. From there, we will marinate for 3-4 hours, and put on the spit at about 4pm. If you come by at 6pm, we will be handing out free Al Pastor tacos (max 2 per person please) until 8pm. Before going though, please wait for a confirmation from me, I will post by 3pm just to be safe. Anything can happen between now and then (e.g., our machine dies, etc).

Gil

Ok,, the machine is now up and running. Some gas line issues, which are resolved. We are marinating the Al Pastor now, and will be in Big C at about 5pm to start the spit. Come by at 6pm, you will see me and two of our Mexican chefs working with us. We will be giving out free Al Pastor tacos. I personally prefer soft flour, but we will also have soft corn on site.

Gil

I am unclear. The spit thing for Al Pastor you have where?

Jomtien?

Big C?

Both?

I think it is pretty clear he said Big C, unless you missed his post by the minute you posted after.

Post 51 I directly asked if they have a spit in Jomtien. The answer was unclear. I'm still asking if you don't mind. I think customers might be quite interested if the Al Pastor is of a different quality at one location ... or not. So I am still asking.

Went looking to try the Horchata , the staff looked at me like I was from Mars.

Sorry, but I totally agree! I was completely ignored by the staff. The whole stall

looked like to be well prepared for closing time. So I felt quite stupid standing there

and I wasn't encouraged to ask for a free tasting.

Edited by elreico

Was there with the wife for lunch today.

We had a chicken kebab for 90 odd baht and a large burrito for 220 baht.

Both would have been enough for the both of us. The kebab was nice and tasty, the burrito was basically tasteless and the bread like chewing gum.

Sorry - nuff said