So I Was Cruising Along On My 'Cycle Today In Jomtien, And.........

Deaw

I am not eligible for a Thai licence, as I am not a resident and wouldn't be able to provide any evidence that would say I am... I am a (frequent) tourists who enters on 30 day stamps, or tourist visa's...

see, I am in the same boat.....all these people telling me I MUST get a local drivers license or telling me I was crazy for not having one on me yesterday seem to believe I live here full-time; I don't. yes, I DO come here more than you, but I am rarely in the country for more than 90 or 100 days before going to the states [where I AM a resident] and then I come back, generally about half of every year. I hate winters, plain and simple.

here longer this year, clear into July, but same deal; I am not a resident, just a tourist.

Man, with all these differing opinions I am more confused than ever now about the legality of all this. But I will still be looking into getting a local drivers license upon my return in high season, probably on Samui.

Thats not what you say on another posting there you claim to stay here between 5 & 8 mths so maybe you are being economical with the truth to suit your argument.

*One more thing. I find that after I am here for 5, 6 or 8 months I begin to miss 'home' a lot, in the northeast USA. Then, I go there and after a week or 2 I am just dying to get back here! After living in Asia it's dam_n near impossible to live back in the west, trust me.

Seems to me you want it your own way...so just do it but dont complain when one day it kicks you back!!

OH SLAM!! Own it Deaw! If only you would have been less specific, you know, used words like "rarely" and "generally." laugh.png

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

see, I am in the same boat.....all these people telling me I MUST get a local drivers license or telling me I was crazy for not having one on me yesterday seem to believe I live here full-time; I don't. yes, I DO come here more than you, but I am rarely in the country for more than 90 or 100 days before going to the states [where I AM a resident] and then I come back, generally about half of every year. I hate winters, plain and simple.

here longer this year, clear into July, but same deal; I am not a resident, just a tourist.

Thats not what you say on another posting there you claim to stay here between 5 & 8 mths so maybe you are being economical with the truth to suit your argument.

Never once was ''economical with the truth'', IE, lying, to suit my argument. I said right from the start I am here for usually 6 or 7 months per year; never said that was in a row! Bottom line is I am not a resident and never have been; sometimes here 3 months, then home for a month.....sometimes 6, then home for 3.... sometimes I come here around New years, but I must go right back home to pay my taxes in March; then I will come back in April for 2 or 3 months because it's still cold as heck in the states.

Always in flux....I am a semi-retired and can keep any hours I want, and live anywhere I want to at any given time.

For the people in this thread screaming "what you did was illegal, plain and simple" {driving with no license}, I say to them;

Ever Jaywalked?

Ever paid a hooker for her time?

Ever drank a beer in a bar after hours?

Ever smoked weed or done some some other illicit drug here? Maybe drove over the DWI alcohol limit once or 3 times?

Drove your 'cycle or car but accidentally left your license at home?

Ever gone faster than the posted speed limit?

You broke the law!

Edited by Deaw

Never once was ''economical with the truth'', IE, lying, to suit my argument. I said right from the start I am here for usually 6 or 7 months per year; never said that was in a row! Bottom line is I am not a resident and never have been; sometimes here 3 months, then home for a month.....sometimes 6, then home for 3.... sometimes I come here around New years, but I must go right back home to pay my taxes in March; then I will come back in April for 2 or 3 months because it's still cold as heck in the states.

Always in flux....I am a semi-retired and can keep any hours I want, and live anywhere I want to at any given time.

For the people in this thread screaming "what you did was illegal, plain and simple" {driving with no license}, I say to them;

Ever Jaywalked?

Ever smoked weed or done some some other illicit drug here? Maybe drove over the DWI alcohol limit once or 3 times?

You broke the law!

Yeah but we dont come on here and moan about it!!

I actually ever tried to look this up - that is how bored I am at work today...

On Gt-Rider there is a sticky thread with the Land Transport Act and Motor Vehicle Act translated into English. It says you need an International Drivers Permit... a link to this...

http://www.bkkriders...andtraffic.html

The same thread also links to this;

http://www.bkkriders...torvehicle.html

Google came up with this document, which is also a translation of the Land Traffic Act,

and another version is here... http://thailaws.com/.../tlaw0140_5.pdf

neither Land Traffic Act version referrs to licensing or International Drivers Permit...

I couldn't find a second version of the Motor Traffic Act, and I don't know how up to date the version on BKKriders is...

It refers only to an International Drivers Permit, not to any other countries licence being valid... in fact, read as interpretted, it does not say that even an International Drivers Permit, issued overseas, is valid, but that you can apply of an International Drivers Permit...

Anyone who wishes to drive a motor vehicle must apply for a driver's license according to following categories:

1. Temporary license for a private car, three-wheeled car, or motorcycle

2. License for a private car

3. License for a private three-wheeled car

4. License for a public car

5. License for a public three-wheeled car

6. License for a motorcycle

7. License for a roller car

8. License for a tractor

9. License for a motor vehicle not specified in 1. - 8.

10. International Driving Permit for a car or motorcycle

So I have been no help at all... you're welcome...

Sorry, but you are indirectly right. clap2.gif

You cannot obtain an IDP unless you have a valid drivers license. The IDP is an adjunct document to the driver's license.

• Like 1

Ever Jaywalked?

You broke the law!

I guess the main point being raised that without the relevant license & insurance you can end up in deep financial shit if you are the cause of an accident. Let alone the hospital costs if you are seriously injured. I am sure you are aware that their are around 12,000+ a year road deaths in Thailand & approx 250,000 injured of which 80% are caused by motorbike accidents. It appears that you are treating this issue very casually - be carefulsmile.png

• Like 1

As I stated earlier, ranking police officials have puplicaly stated that a home license in English and with a photo is already an international license valid for a tourist in Thailand. This is why without exception, cops accept them, insurance company's accept them, and rental car companies accept them. Go ahead and call any Thai insurance company or rental company and see if you can get one of them to say you need an IDP. You can't. If you ask any cop if you can drive on your home license in English with a photo as a tourist, they will tell you you can.

The Thai police do not make the law. They enforce the law. Big difference. I think you can agree that many Thai police pofficers do not know the laws they are expected to enforce. If an IDP is not required, why then does the the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs post on its various websites that an IDP is required? You are relying on the statements of some police officers. I am relying on an official statement published by the government. You can go to the UK consul website and see for yourself.

http://www.google.co...Mqt_g93uHLI0bwg

An International Driving Licence is required for most foreign persons wishing to drive in Thailand and must be accompanied by the Driving Licence issued to them in their country of nationality or residence. A foreigner is allowed to drive in Thailand for up to 6 months on an International Driving Licence after which they must obtain a Thai Driving Licence.

Which source between the two do you think is legally valid; The hearsay comments of some local BIB or an offical statement of the Thai government? If the government has it wrong, then fine, I can accept it. However, I think the government's position is the valid guidance, and that your position is incorrect.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

As I stated earlier, ranking police officials have puplicaly stated that a home license in English and with a photo is already an international license valid for a tourist in Thailand. This is why without exception, cops accept them, insurance company's accept them, and rental car companies accept them. Go ahead and call any Thai insurance company or rental company and see if you can get one of them to say you need an IDP. You can't. If you ask any cop if you can drive on your home license in English with a photo as a tourist, they will tell you you can.

The Thai police do not make the law. They enforce the law. Big difference. I think you can agree that many Thai police pofficers do not know the laws they are expected to enforce. If an IDP is not required, why then does the the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs post on its various websites that an IDP is required? You are relying on the statements of some police officers. I am relying on an official statement published by the government. You can go to the UK consul website and see for yourself.

http://www.google.co...Mqt_g93uHLI0bwg

Which source between the two do you think is legally valid; The hearsay comments of some local BIB or an offical statement of the Thai government? If the government has it wrong, then fine, I can accept it. However, I think the government's position is the valid guidance, and that your position is incorrect.

Your link wants to download some file on my computer. Anyway, I know what you are talking about. That UK consul site is the most retarded of them all. No idea where they are getting 6 mo. Honestly I think they just make it up.

The Thai police do not make the law in Thailand but neither does the UN. And for the second time, this was a top ranking officer making a clear statement to the public explaining the existing Thai law, not making it. This wasn't some local BIB.

The UN traffic act is just an agreement between countries to honor each other's DL's though the use of this IDP program. I am well aware of all the outdated official references to IDP's on the internet. They all copy the UN act, copy each other, and err on the side of caution. They don't reflect the current situation on the ground in Thailand, but that is because they are simply following the UN agreement which Thailand is a signatory. It doesn't mean that it is the law in Thailand in any way. You will also find travel advice websites that state Thai police, rental and insurances companies don't require them. They are correct. Thailand is not in violation of the UN act by note requiring IDP's, they would be in violation of the act if they didn't allow foreign drivers to drive in Thailand unless they had a Thai DL. So Thailand does honor the traffic act, they just do one better and say they don't need an IDP either, because, according to the police, it already is an international license if in English and with a photo.

Go call 10 random major rental companies and 10 insurance companies and ask if an IDP is required in Thailand. They all say the same thing. Find one person that was done by the cops for not having one with them. You can't. What better evidence do you need? That's because the Royal Thai Police have stated emphatically that a DL from your home country, in English with a photo IS an international license.

Just one example, here is the requirements for renting a car in Thailand from HertzThaialnd.com:

"Rental Qualification :

Minimum renter age is 21 years.

Must hold a valid Thai driving license or a driving license from a renter’s country of residence (with an English translation), or an international driving license."

I really hope you aren't going to tell me that it is an English translation of your English license they are asking for? lol

Edited by NomadJoe

Daew,

After 3 months of being here you need a Thai drivers license. That is the time frame they set. So Nomad Joe was wrong and kid and me were right. You were in the wrong.

I do wonder how they check how long you been in country ect. But by your own admittance you are wrong.

Read the topic !

He left the country after a three month stretch and reentered on another tourist visa ! Tourist !

Daew,

After 3 months of being here you need a Thai drivers license. That is the time frame they set. So Nomad Joe was wrong and kid and me were right. You were in the wrong.

I do wonder how they check how long you been in country ect. But by your own admittance you are wrong.

Read the topic !

He left the country after a three month stretch and reentered on another tourist visa ! Tourist !

Yes, and I should have made this much more clear right from the start; I basically live in 2 places, the northeast USA and various locations in Thailand.

Because I am self-employed and semi-retired [day trader] I can live anywhere with a broadband connection, and hopefully a TV which gets Bloomberg and CNBC.

So, I travel a LOT! I was in Nepal all of November and into December.....home for Christmas and New Year... Thailand {Koh Phangan} for Jan, Feb and March...... back home for about a month, paid my taxes like a good boy.....Laos for May and back in the Kingdom for June and July......now Pattaya for about 8 weeks all told and then scooting back to NY state at the end of the month until November when it gets cold again; I only came to this rathole city at all because I need some medical procedures done and we have no hospitals on Phangan island and it's much cheaper than in America.

This is typical for every year since 2002, and I have built up a ton of frequent flier miles.

I'm not sure what anyone is trying to "catch" me on, like I am some kind of a bull sh***er or something......I do spend a lot of time in Thailand, generally 1/2 or more of every year, but I am not a resident! No real home, I don't even rent the same places, probably 5 different bungalows or hotels in the past 6 high seasons.

It's also the main reason I get a Type 'O', non-immigrant visa, with multiple entries; it only costs me 180 bucks for a full year from the embassy in NYC and I can come and go whenever I please, with 90 days allowed at a stretch. Perfect for what I like to do.

Edited by Deaw

Your link wants to download some file on my computer. Anyway, I know what you are talking about. That UK consul site is the most retarded of them all. No idea where they are getting 6 mo. Honestly I think they just make it up.

The Thai police do not make the law in Thailand but neither does the UN. And for the second time, this was a top ranking officer making a clear statement to the public explaining the existing Thai law, not making it. This wasn't some local BIB.

The UN traffic act is just an agreement between countries to honor each other's DL's though the use of this IDP program. I am well aware of all the outdated official references to IDP's on the internet. They all copy the UN act, copy each other, and err on the side of caution. They don't reflect the current situation on the ground in Thailand, but that is because they are simply following the UN agreement which Thailand is a signatory. It doesn't mean that it is the law in Thailand in any way. You will also find travel advice websites that state Thai police, rental and insurances companies don't require them. They are correct. Thailand is not in violation of the UN act by note requiring IDP's, they would be in violation of the act if they didn't allow foreign drivers to drive in Thailand unless they had a Thai DL. So Thailand does honor the traffic act, they just do one better and say they don't need an IDP either, because, according to the police, it already is an international license if in English and with a photo.

Go call 10 random major rental companies and 10 insurance companies and ask if an IDP is required in Thailand. They all say the same thing. Find one person that was done by the cops for not having one with them. You can't. What better evidence do you need? That's because the Royal Thai Police have stated emphatically that a DL from your home country, in English with a photo IS an international license.

Just one example, here is the requirements for renting a car in Thailand from HertzThaialnd.com:

"Rental Qualification :

Must hold a valid Thai driving license or a driving license from a renter’s country of residence (with an English translation), or an international driving license."

I really hope you aren't going to tell me that it is an English translation of your English license they are asking for? lol

Ok so now you dismiss the lawful representative of the Thai government as "retarded" because you disagree.

This is so typical of people in TVF that they cannot accept that they have possibly erred so that they resort to dismissing factual sources. Are you going to dismiss the Government of Canada as well?

Driving in Thailand requires either an International Driving Permit or a Thai Driver’s Licence. A Canadian licence is not sufficient. Tourists should acquire an International Driving Permit in Canada before they arrive in Thailand, as a Thai driver’s licence can only be obtained by residents of Thailand.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/thailand-thailande/consular_services_consulaires/drivers_licences-permis_conduire.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

How about the Government of Australia?

To legally hire a car or motorbike in Thailand, you need a valid international and Australian driver licence of the correct class. Be aware some rental companies will try to tell you otherwise

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/advice/Thailand

I have more faith in the Thai UK consul, and the governments of Canada and Australia than I do in someone on TVF that relies on uncorroborated hearsay from some police officers. I also know that my own employer and my previous employer, insisted in their travel guidelines that employees driving in Thailand had to possess a valid driver license and an IDP. These companies retained competent legal counsel when they drew up the travel rules and didn’t invent these requirements.

Most basic trip advice websites offer the same advice. Here’s Trip Advisor;

LICENCES and PERMITS

To ride a motorcycle in Thailand, and remain strictly within the law, you must possess and produce:

- A national motorcycle drivers licence issued in your home country, AND,

- An International Driving Permit, endorsed for a motorcycle.

If you want to continue believing that you are not legally required to possess the the IDP, then that’s your personal decision. However, I believe that you are misleading visitors..

Aside you providing your own interpretation of the applicable law, you then refer to the small text from Hertz as evidence that a valid drivers permit is not required to drive in Thailand. There is a significant difference between a person that rents a vehicle and the person that drives a rental vehicle. A renter that will not drive, technically does not need a drivers licence to enter into a rental contract. The renter can effect the contract on behalf of someone else. If you take the time to read the MASTER rental contract you will see that the driver(s) must be legally allowed to drive the vehicle. What you also neglect to acknowledge is that the rental contract is subject to the applicable laws and regulations regarding who is legally allowed to drive.

In respect to the Geneva Road Convention on Road Traffic 1949 which Thailand signed in 1962, I direct your attention Article 24, section 2;

2. A Contracting State may however require that any driver admitted to its territory shall carry an international driving permit.....

The Convention does not require. However, the requirement is set out in applicable Thai laws such as The the Highway Act of 1992 and its Revision in 2006.

People have the option now of following your advice which is not based on sound legal counsel or in following the advice of multiple reputable governments and organizations which have access to competent legal counsel. I will leave it at that.

• Like 1

Daew,

Read the topic !

Yes, and I should have made this much more clear right from the start; I basically live in 2 places, the northeast USA and various locations in Thailand.

Because I am self-employed and semi-retired [day trader] I can live anywhere with a broadband connection, and hopefully a TV which gets Bloomberg and CNBC.

So, I travel a LOT! I was in Nepal all of November and into December.....home for Christmas and New Year... Thailand {Koh Phangan} for Jan, Feb and March...... back home for about a month, paid my taxes like a good boy.....Laos for May and back in the Kingdom for June and July......now Pattaya for about 8 weeks all told and then scooting back to NY state at the end of the month until November when it gets cold again; I only came to this rathole city at all because I need some medical procedures done and we have no hospitals on Phangan island and it's much cheaper than in America.

This is typical for every year since 2002, and I have built up a ton of frequent flier miles.

I'm not sure what anyone is trying to "catch" me on, like I am some kind of a bull sh***er or something......I do spend a lot of time in Thailand, generally 1/2 or more of every year, but I am not a resident! No real home, I don't even rent the same places, probably 5 different bungalows or hotels in the past 6 high seasons.

It's also the main reason I get a Type 'O', non-immigrant visa, with multiple entries; it only costs me 180 bucks for a full year from the embassy in NYC and I can come and go whenever I please, with 90 days allowed at a stretch. Perfect for what I like to do.

If your here like that and going out every 90 days then yes your a tourist its hard (but not impossible) to get a driving license on a tourist visa.

Your other license is it valid for bikes ? or just cars ?

Ah. So it's not only a DL issue, day trading is work and as such requires a work permit in Thailand. Staying under the radar still might be easy these days, but if you do get caught, just suck it up. Or get the right permits, then you've earned the right to complain.

• Like 1

the whatwasit 130b? local license would pay off in half a day.

Please tell me where to get this; I will buy one tomorrow, no joke.

Keep in mind I don't live here full-time, only during high seasons.

I am in Pattaya south - Thank you!

Maybe now you can figure out the difference between retiring here, and just visiting, albeit for half a year at a time. Most of us know where to get a Driver's License...and have jumped through the hoops to actually do it.

BTW, you can get an International Driving Permit at any Auto Club in the US, valid for the same period as your state driver's license - I think it's $5. So, yes, even at this great expense, you have to comply with local laws when you visit their country...

LOL - retired here my A&&.

I am from the US also and had the same thing happen to me some 5 years ago. I refused to pay the cop any money and chose to go to the station on beach road. They also wanted 500 baht but I refused and they finally went down to 200 baht. Fuk em, they are all crocks.

I am not eligible for a Thai licence, as I am not a resident and wouldn't be able to provide any evidence that would say I am... I am a (frequent) tourists who enters on 30 day stamps, or tourist visa's...

Man, with all these differing opinions I am more confused than ever now about the legality of all this. But I will still be looking into getting a local drivers license upon my return in high season, probably on Samui.

Wait! In another thread you were pontificating all about how you were retired here, and how it's just so easy and wonderful to be you and retired here AND in the US and all...now, when it's more convenient to plead non-residence, you change your tune.

Yup, it's EASY to retire here, if you don't stay very long, and you scoff at the local laws and customs...

cheesy.gif

I once got a ticket for no driver's license when I tried to use my foreign driver's license--and it wasn't a bribe, it was a ticket. It cost me 200 baht.

Girlfriend got stopped yesterday on 2nd Rd not far from Central and got ticketed for no license, 200 baht as well. Having a brother in the police station always helps though. Those 200 baht tickets can add up.

"Rental Qualification :

Ok so now you dismiss the lawful representative of the Thai government as "retarded" because you disagree.

This is so typical of people in TVF that they cannot accept that they have possibly erred so that they resort to dismissing factual sources. Are you going to dismiss the Government of Canada as well?

Driving in Thailand requires either an International Driving Permit or a Thai Driver’s Licence. A Canadian licence is not sufficient. Tourists should acquire an International Driving Permit in Canada before they arrive in Thailand, as a Thai driver’s licence can only be obtained by residents of Thailand.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/thailand-thailande/consular_services_consulaires/drivers_licences-permis_conduire.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

How about the Government of Australia?

To legally hire a car or motorbike in Thailand, you need a valid international and Australian driver licence of the correct class. Be aware some rental companies will try to tell you otherwise

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/advice/Thailand

I have more faith in the Thai UK consul, and the governments of Canada and Australia than I do in someone on TVF that relies on uncorroborated hearsay from some police officers. I also know that my own employer and my previous employer, insisted in their travel guidelines that employees driving in Thailand had to possess a valid driver license and an IDP. These companies retained competent legal counsel when they drew up the travel rules and didn’t invent these requirements.

Most basic trip advice websites offer the same advice. Here’s Trip Advisor;

LICENCES and PERMITS

To ride a motorcycle in Thailand, and remain strictly within the law, you must possess and produce:

- A national motorcycle drivers licence issued in your home country, AND,

- An International Driving Permit, endorsed for a motorcycle.

If you want to continue believing that you are not legally required to possess the the IDP, then that’s your personal decision. However, I believe that you are misleading visitors..

Aside you providing your own interpretation of the applicable law, you then refer to the small text from Hertz as evidence that a valid drivers permit is not required to drive in Thailand. There is a significant difference between a person that rents a vehicle and the person that drives a rental vehicle. A renter that will not drive, technically does not need a drivers licence to enter into a rental contract. The renter can effect the contract on behalf of someone else. If you take the time to read the MASTER rental contract you will see that the driver(s) must be legally allowed to drive the vehicle. What you also neglect to acknowledge is that the rental contract is subject to the applicable laws and regulations regarding who is legally allowed to drive.

In respect to the Geneva Road Convention on Road Traffic 1949 which Thailand signed in 1962, I direct your attention Article 24, section 2;

2. A Contracting State may however require that any driver admitted to its territory shall carry an international driving permit.....

The Convention does not require. However, the requirement is set out in applicable Thai laws such as The the Highway Act of 1992 and its Revision in 2006.

People have the option now of following your advice which is not based on sound legal counsel or in following the advice of multiple reputable governments and organizations which have access to competent legal counsel. I will leave it at that.

Thank you for pointing out the the wording of the Geneva Road Convention does not require contracting states to require an IDP. I'll add that to my article/post I am formulating.

I would like to see your section of "applicable Thai law" which requires the IDP. The only Thai laws I am aware of state that a driver must be legally licensed to drive in Thailand, not that a driver must have been issued a Thai drivers license. There is certainly nothing specifically about IDP. I have a document which the Highway Police have emailed to me stating what is needed to legally drive in Thailand. I think it is a policy statement or MOU but I haven't had it fully translated yet. It does reference the Geneva Road Traffic Convention of 1949.

I didn't realize you couldn't ride a rented motorbike with a NY license.

I was pulled over a month ago in Pattaya proper; same deal, they want to see a helmet, a registration, and a drivers license. For falangs, it must be an international license; truthfully, I don't know even one person who has this and I know a lot of expats.

I got a 200B fine that day, with a receipt, and there were cops everywhere, it was a road block for ALL motorcycles.....they do it whenever they need to raise some funds for the policeman's benevolent society sad.png

I went through one of these road blocks on 3rd Road yesterday. I showed them my Australian drivers licence and they waved me through.

• 1 month later...

True or False ?

The police are not authorised to actually keep your licence.

I don't know myself.

BTW the true or false means that I don't really expect --they take it anyway--- how can you stop them doing it, answers.

It's a straight forward yes or no question.

Well I know that in the states a DL is not actually the property of the individual, but property of the state. Probably the same here.

Has any parnoid person told you he is gonna get you yet ?

not sure what parnoid means, has anyone ever told you to learn English?

Either that or you're just some wise guy wrongly thinking you are making a witty comment which actually makes no sense in relation to this post.

Short version; a corrupt cop tried to steal from me today and I complained to his superiors - does that make it easier for your brain to process?

Has any parnoid person told you he is gonna get you yet ?

not sure what parnoid means, has anyone ever told you to learn English?

Either that or you're just some wise guy wrongly thinking you are making a witty comment which actually makes no sense in relation to this post.

Short version; a corrupt cop tried to steal from me today and I complained to his superiors - does that make it easier for your brain to process?

I think the guy was suggesting that you have done nothing wrong and have nothing to worry about, but there may be one or two paranoid people who suggest the policeman will come hunting you down (which of course he wont).

the whatwasit 130b? local license would pay off in half a day.

Please tell me where to get this; I will buy one tomorrow, no joke.

Keep in mind I don't live here full-time, only during high seasons.

I am in Pattaya south - Thank you!

Maybe now you can figure out the difference between retiring here, and just visiting, albeit for half a year at a time. Most of us know where to get a Driver's License...and have jumped through the hoops to actually do it.

BTW, you can get an International Driving Permit at any Auto Club in the US, valid for the same period as your state driver's license - I think it's $5. So, yes, even at this great expense, you have to comply with local laws when you visit their country...

LOL - retired here my A&&.

Actually, it is only valid for 1 year, I spent IIRC some 100 dollars for an IDL. Finally just acquired my Thai license as it was cheaper in the long run.

Driving without a license is stupid - you deserve a lot more sever punishment.

OK, i get it.....although I disagree that no one else loss face today - you weren't there and you didn't see how angry that cop was that he lost out on the 500 baht.

But let me ask you something; for the people who don't live here and come over on just a 2 week holiday from Yemen or Russia or the UK; each and every one of them should be getting an international drivers permit?

I would guess that based on the tourists I see around Pattaya renting 'cycles, and on the lineup of 30 guilty farangs at the Pattaya road block I hit last month- just a guess here of course, but I would say maybe 10% actually have one. So I am thinking I am far from the only one and as I say no one I know has one.

If I went to Yemen or Russia or the UK I would need an international license, so why shouldnt they need one here? I have a Thai DL and have never paid a fine since I got it. It hard to complain about corruption when you were breaking the law to begin with. It is also hard to try to benefit from the "anything goes" attitude here if you cannot accept others benefitting form the same attitude. And ... why would anyone drive without a helmet in Thailand, consider how poorl;y every other driver drives. #1 cause of death for farang in Phuket is motorbike accidents (followed by drowning).