Cockroaches - Ugh

GrahamR

HI folks

We have a traditional semi open Thai kitchen: there are insects everywhere.

This means cockroaches get everywhere, especially between the suspended ceiling and wooden floor.

We don't want to poison them, I have been coming down at night, collecting them in a bag and throwing them down the drain.

Has anyone got any better ideas please ?

Thanks

Graham

Think this should be in Real Estate, Housing or General

collecting them in a bag and throwing them down the drain.

What a waste, dusting them with flour and frying is surely a better use, good protein thumbsup.gif

Seriously, talking to them nicely wont help so repelling them or poison are the only solutions. First suggest you check in all areas for nesting sites and attack with vacuum cleaner if you don't want to poison, block any obvious points of entry, check just outside the kitchen. Maybe use 'gentler 'poisons , boric acid (search TV) or use a sugar and baking soda mix. A nice solid shoe is also a good disposal method. This has been covered on TV many times before, so suggest use the search engine. Also for further reading maybe http://www.ehow.com/how_4461255_repel-roaches.html

Finally I do not think you will eliminate them completely in this climate and in a Thai style kitchen.

• Like 1

Finally I do not think you will eliminate them completely in this climate and in a Thai style kitchen.

I don't want to kill them ,just try to repel them, naphthalene ball keep them out of the bathroom.

Perhaps we just have to accept them elsewhere :(

Graham

What is the objection to killing a disease carrying pest? It's a cockroach for heaven's sake. If you were reincarnated as a cockroach, wouldn't you plead for someone to kill you off so you can expedite transition to a better future life?tongue.png

I just don't want to kill any living creature, even a filthy insect has a life to live.

Graham

• Like 1

Think this should be in Real Estate, Housing or General

I put it in this forum as it concerns the first precept, to me at least. I attempt to kill no living creatures, even the most foul smile.png

this is a Buddhist Forum, not a Jain Forum

I interpret the first precept to not kill any living creature.

1. I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking life.

Pāṇātipātā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.

Abstinence from killing is something many Buddhists have in common with Jains.

Graham

In the Philippines, they just close the kitchen door to keep roaches in there.

One way you might reduce their numbers is to keep it VERY clean... and seal all the cracks.

Unfortunately we have an old style kitched with perforated wall whic allow EVERYTHING in :(

Graham

I interpret the first precept to not kill any living creature.

1. I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking life.

Pāṇātipātā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.

Abstinence from killing is something many Buddhists have in common with Jains.

Graham

You have tons of cockroaches in your kitchen, and this bothers you, probably because of the hygienic and aesthetic aspects, hence your post. I can understand your wish to never kill any living thing, and there are no doubt some Buddhists or others who similarly wish to abstain 100% from ever killing anything.

You are asking here for tips on how to get rid of bugs in your world without killing them. If you don't want to kill them, why not just love them?

Life is suffering for all conditioned things, including bugs.

You are asking here for tips on how to get rid of bugs in your world without killing them. If you don't want to kill them, why not just love them?

I can love them without living with them :)

Graham

whistling.gif La Cucaratcha! Probably didn't spell it correctly anyhow...but La Cucaratcha is Spanish for the Cockroach.

Actually they're wonderfully adapted creatures...living in the dark warm spaces of our houses and coming out at night to feed on what food we big clumbsy humans drop and waste (from a Cockroach's viewpoint anyhow).

But I guess what you really want is to get rid of them.

Yes, you can catch them and release them outside....but they will come back if there's a source of food inside anyhow.

So the only "best answer" is to be really insistant about cleanliness...especially in places like kitchens and eating areas where food particles and crumbs may fall.

Or, just learn to tolerate them?

From a Buddhist standpoint...I think it was Dogen the Zen master who said something like this:

"Flowers and weeds are both equally repersentations of the dharma ( meaning dharrma as dharma-objects...illustrations of the larger Dharma body was what he meant). But still we love flowers and not weeds"

Why is this?

But it probably does seem strange saying that in Budhisim even Cockroachs have there place as dhama-objects...representations of the larger Dharma-body revealed.

wai.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

They're just beings. Maybe we don't like them because they scuttle and scurry. Perhaps if they slithered we'd like them more. Who hates worms?

An infestation of cockies would be off-putting, but a few around isn't going to be a problem is it? I can't take the moral high ground, as we don't have a problem, though I have seen one or two around in the last few days. I look at them; they look at me, then off they go. Any movement and they scurry off. I think, like Ima (above), I admire them.

But an infestation ... ? My moral sensitivities have limits. I'd be using preventative pesticides. (Another re-birth to add to the many I've already accumulated.)

• Like 1

An infestation of cockies would be off-putting, but a few around isn't going to be a problem is it? I can't take the moral high ground, as we don't have a problem, though I have seen one or two around in the last few days. I look at them; they look at me, then off they go. Any movement and they scurry off. I think, like Ima (above), I admire them.

Cockroaches are one of the toughest creatures possible, they were one of the first to return to Bikini Atoll after the H Bomb test.

The problem I have with them is they crawl around and leave droppings everywhere. We have to cover everything - dishes, food, etc. They even crawl on the tooth brushes!

They come out as soon as the lights go off, I have seen ten or more, though numbers have dropped a bit with physically removing them. I have visions of me dropping them down the drain and them returning via the toilet though :(

Graham

Are there geckos in Thailand? (probably) those are the little brown lizards that live in walls... I hear they eat cockroaches. A cockroach can live days without its head...

We have house lizards which eat mosies, but cockroaches are too big. There are geckos here too, but they are quite large and don't come in the house much. Thai people are often terrified of them!

Graham

Are there geckos in Thailand? (probably) those are the little brown lizards that live in walls... I hear they eat cockroaches. A cockroach can live days without its head...

We have house lizards which eat mosies, but cockroaches are too big. There are geckos here too, but they are quite large and don't come in the house much. Thai people are often terrified of them!

Graham

Intesesting because in the Philippines, Tokos (house lizards) are considered good luck--I thought house lizards are geckos. In the Phlippines, I have never seen a cockroach in the rural areas... only in cities. Maybe the sewer system is a breeding ground.

I had idea that maybe there is an ultrasonic repeller for cock roaches. I researched it and indeed there is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_pest_control I guess that predators of cockroaches probably communicate in ultrasonic... so maybe try differennt settings to find the most effective frequency

Edited by leolibby
  • Like 1

Graham

Intesesting because in the Philippines, Tokos (house lizards) are considered good luck--I thought house lizards are geckos. In the Phlippines, I have never seen a cockroach in the rural areas... only in cities. Maybe the sewer system is a breeding ground.

I had idea that maybe there is an ultrasonic repeller for cock roaches. I researched it and indeed there is.

http://en.wikipedia....ic_pest_control I guess that predators of cockroaches probably communicate in ultrasonic... so maybe try differennt settings to find the most effective frequency

Geckos (Tokos) are consider as good luck in Thailand as well. I have never met a Thai that are afraid of Geckos

Geckos (Tokos) are consider as good luck in Thailand as well. I have never met a Thai that are afraid of Geckos

Interesting, I wonder if this is regional. I have seen Thais run screaming at the sight of lizards, geckos are even more 'awful' :)

Graham

Bangladesh also has geckos.. I spent some time there too. I'm talking about the tiny brown lizards that live in the walls... filipinos also told me its bad luck to kill them. I never noticed a strong reaction to them by bengali's.

In the Philippines, they just close the kitchen door to keep roaches in there.

One way you might reduce their numbers is to keep it VERY clean... and seal all the cracks.

Good answer.. this is what I do. Clean, Clean, Clean. Cockroaches and ants don't seem to like clean.. tongue.png

They hate soap. I clean with a floorsoap from Amway. This soap I have found most effective

Yes, I clean with soap also.. usually use comet or lysol. Most Thai's don't seem to understand the concept of using soap to clean.. just water. When they see me adding comet or lysol to the water, they just smile. Like if to say ; those crazy farangs. smile.png

They hate soap. I clean with a floorsoap from Amway. This soap I have found most effective

Yes, I clean with soap also.. usually use comet or lysol. Most Thai's don't seem to understand the concept of using soap to clean.. just water. When they see me adding comet or lysol to the water, they just smile. Like if to say ; those crazy farangs. smile.png

Oil is nonpolar.. so is dirt.. meaning there are no + or - ends to the molecules....... but water is polar, thus it does not dissolve or mix with oil and dirt well. It repells oil. However, soap molecules have a polar end and a nonpolar end... the polar end sticks to the water.. but the nonpolar end sticks to the dirt and oil, allowing water to clean dirt.

• Like 1