Eight Drug Dealers Killed In Clash With Police In Chiang Rai

webfact

Eight drug dealers killed in clash with police in Chiang Rai

CHIANG RAI, July 16 -- Eight drug dealers were killed and more than one million meth pills were seized when police and a drug syndicate clashed in the northern province of Chiang Rai over the weekend.

In a joint operation, the Narcotics Suppression Bureau, Border Patrol Police and the army’s Pha Muang Task Force attacked a major drug syndicate at Ban Pha Mee, in Wiang Phang Kham subdistrict of Chiang Rai’s Mae Sai district.

Initial reports said that eight drug dealers were killed while eight large rucksacks of meth, estimated to contain over one million meth pills, and some 30 kilogrammes of crystal meth or ice were seized.

No casualties were reported among the authorities.

It was believed that the drug syndicate was delivering the illicit drugs to its network.

National Police Chief Pol Gen Prewpan Dhamapong and Narcotics Suppression Bureau commander Pol Lt-Gen Chaiwat Chotima traveled to the scene to supervise the investigation. A press conference is expected later today. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-07-16

Eight suspected drug traffickers shot dead in Chiang Rai

The Nation

Chiang Rai - Police and troops clashed with alleged drug trafficker who tried to smuggle 70 kilogams of 'ice' and over 500,000 methamphetamine pills across the border from Myanmar early Monday morning, killing eight of the suspects.

Following the clash at 4 am at the mountain near the Thai-Myanmar border in Mae Sai district, the Thai authorities found eight bodies of the suspects, 70 kgs of crystal methamphetamine powder or "ice" and 550,000 methamphetamine pills.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-16

Eight drug suspects killed in Thailand

BANGKOK, July 16, 2012 (AFP) - Eight suspected drug dealers were killed on Monday in a clash with Thai security forces who seized weapons and a large amount of illegal amphetamines, Thailand's military said.

A team of police and soldiers encountered about eight to 10 suspects while on patrol in northern Chiang Rai province early on Monday, resulting in a shoot-out that lasted about 10 minutes, according to a statement.

About 550,000 amphetamine pills were seized along with 70 kilos (154 pounds) of crystal methamphetamine, one AK-47 rifle, two pistols and 10 bullets, it said.

There were no reports of any casualties among security forces.

Thailand has seen a marked increase in seizures of methamphetamine -- which is relatively cheap and easy to make -- often smuggled from neighbouring Myanmar where armed rebels use profits from narcotics to fund their operations.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-07-16

Eight suspected drug traffickers shot dead in Chiang Rai

ChiangRai: -- Police and troops clashed with alleged drug traffickers trying to smuggle 70 kilogams of "ice" and more than 500,000 methamphetamine pills across the border from Myanmar early Monday morning, killing eight of the suspects.

Following the clash at 4am in the mountains near the Thai-Myanmar border in Mae Sai district, the Thai authorities recovered eight bodies, along with 70 kgs of crystal methamphetamine powder or "ice" and 550,000 methamphetamine pills.

More than 100 policemen, border patrol police and troops from Phamuang Taskforce were staked out near the mountain in Pha Mee village in Tambon Wiang Pha Kham in Mae Sae opposite Myanmar's Tachilek district after the Thai authorities received a tip-off that the drug traffickers would smuggle the drug across the border into the kingdom.

The Thai authorities spotted some 10 or 12 men walking down the mountain towards the Thai side. They were seen carrying bags and several were carrying guns.

The authorities shouted to them to stop for a control but some of the men fired at the Thais and tried to retreat. The gunfight lasted about 15 minutes.

The Thai authorities waited until the dawn before moving in to check and found eight bodies and nine bags along with AK-47 assault rifle guns and some 9mm pistols.

Following the clash, Police Commissioner-General Pol Gen Priewphan Damapog rushed to the scene.

Priewphan said 70 kgs of crystal meth and 550,000 meth pills were found in the bags.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-16

I hope those who read this topic will also take the time to browse the rest of the Chiang Rai forum for a more balanced view of our lives here in the Rai. Don’t want people thinking we are all about drugs and killing.wink.pngcoffee1.gif

Funny you should say that mate. On reading the news of the event, my immediate thought was "I must visit the Chiang Rai forum in order to aquire a more balanced view of residents lives there"

coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

• Like 1

So 100 cops could not apprehend even one of the suspects? And not even one stray bullet from the drug traffickers managed to hit even one of the 100 cops. So the drug traffickers were trying to be sharp shooters using AKs and only got off one round when 100 cops unloaded their entire magazines on them.

Sounds like the cops shot first and then started shouting for them to stop for control.

Is this the start of a new purge on Drugs? I seem to remember there was a lack of survivors from the last 3 month "War on Drugs" as well,dead men don't give evidence,or fill the Jails up.

I hope those who read this topic will also take the time to browse the rest of the Chiang Rai forum for a more balanced view of our lives here in the Rai. Don’t want people thinking we are all about drugs and killing.wink.pngcoffee1.gif

Not to worry villagefarang. The drug problems in Chiang Rai are no more or less than anywhere else in the world and most intelligent folk will give it no more or less attention than it's due. Much the same as snakes, drugs and their kind are everywhere, but I prefer the snakes.

• Like 1

You all may recall that the new government stated they were to wipe out drug stuff in a year huh.png .

Weeeeeell, perhaps the clean up has started. smile.png

Yep I agree.

"Following the clash, Police Commissioner-General Pol Gen Priewphan Damapong rushed to the scene."

The mind boggles as to why he did this.....

You all may recall that the new government stated they were to wipe out drug stuff in a year huh.png .

I thought it was 3 months or was that another war on something in Thailand? There are so many crackdowns come and gone, I've lost track. Anyone keeping tabs on crackdowns? biggrin.png

Yep I agree.

"Following the clash, Police Commissioner-General Pol Gen Priewphan Damapong rushed to the scene."

The mind boggles as to why he did this.....

To have his picture taken at the scene of course.

• Like 1