Soi Forbidden To Farangs

aneliane

We are talking a normal soi, in Bangkok, Prawet, off Onnut, with his 7/11, his family mart, his food stalls, his soi dogs and cats.

Walking along with my dog, the dog firmly held on leash, and checking the area around my house, causing a stir as usual because I am white, people eyeing, pointing, making comments, the usual stuffs that I have learnt to ignore.

I hear "Hey YOU" coming from behind me

It's a guy on a motorbike shouts at me: HEY YOU ! drives to me as if to get me, as if I am being arrested or something

HEY YOU! HEY YOU!

I stop walking

He starts: This soi is forbidden to dogs this a Muslim area, you can't come here, this is not your home! leave now! and don't come back! and don't come back tomorrow!

I was obviously apologetic (what else to do ?) and keeping very polite : "Sure, Oh really I did not know, OK I go, I am going, yes I am going now."

As I was leaving he added shouting :GO HOME!

He also went to talk to a security guard to tell him all about the horrible farang daring to cross their street.

The security did not seem to care and as I passed again later on, he ignored me.

The "go home" was not about the dog anymore, I had said yes to all his request and was leaving on the spot. it was about me, as farang, I don't think he was telling to go to my home in Bangkok, he was telling to go Home to Farangland.

Proof of it ?

30 meters away from there, same soi, we encountered soi dogs and so many cats (my dog was going crazy)!

30 seconds later the guy has disappeared on his bike, 10 meters away from the very spot, he told me to F.. off, a Thai woman came out of her building / apartment to exercise / make piss + shit her huge dog (twice mine) against a tree.

The security guard was there too, saw her, said nothing to her.

No one else came to tell her "to go home".

And obviously no one came chasing the soi dogs or cats.

PS: I already had the pet/muslim discussion with a muslim friend back home, who said it was never mentioned in the Koran that Muslims can't have dogs, or cats. They are indeed considered as "not pure" but it's ok to keep them as longs as it's in the garden not in the house and wash your hands after touching them. i know it's all about interpretation etc etc

And the subject is NOT MUSLIM & DOGS, as many dogs and cats were on this very spot. So please don't start a Muslim and dogs debate.

PS 2 Before anyone accuses me of looking like dirt, I was sporting (new) Gap Tshit and not so new (but hey I am walking my flipping dog, not exactly the red carpet in Cannes Festival) shorts and Birkenstok shoes.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So one guy told you he didn't want your dog in the street and no one else did ?

Maybe he was a nutter, maybe he didn't like you, maybe he was a self important prick, whatever, but the soi isn't forbidden to farangs is it ?

By the way their are privately owned sois in Bangkok. Soi Suk 101/2 is one where you have to pay to drive through it.

So one guy told you he didn't want your dog in the street and no one else did ?

Maybe he was a nutter, maybe he didn't like you, maybe he was a self important prick, whatever, but the soi isn't forbidden to farangs is it ?

By the way their are privately owned sois in Bangkok. Soi Suk 101/2 is one where you have to pay to drive through it.

Nope this was a completely public soi and several Muslim people also tried to deter me from going any further (although it was more politely)

Try another soi.

it's 100 meters from my house, I have been also thrown out of a shop on my own soi because it was muslim

Because you were with your dog ?

Yes I politely offered to leave the dog out, but I was not welcome as human either !

There has been a backlash with Muslims v French and the wearing of the Burqa in France.

This could well have triggered off some animosity!

Neither my father, myself or friends have ever encountered the negativity and abuse you are clearly suffering in Thailand.

Try another soi.

it's 100 meters from my house, I have been also thrown out of a shop on my own soi because it was muslim

Because you were with your dog ?

Yes I politely offered to leave the dog out, but I was not welcome as human either !

If I remember correct, you are a female non-muslim. It may have more to do with your attire than your dog.

If you google - muslims dogs - there is a lot of stuff like the following for example.

Are Muslims in Europe Waging Jihad Against Dogs?

“Islamic legal tradition holds that dogs are "unclean" animals, and some say the call to ban them in Holland and elsewhere represents an attempted encroachment of Islamic Sharia law in Europe,” wrote Soeren Kern

If I remember correct, you are a female non-muslim. It may have more to do with your attire than your dog.

This very shop is patronized by Thai females & males Muslim and non Muslim, most non Muslim Thai females are wearing exactly the same type of clothes I wear; ie when I just pop out to the shop, on my soi : Short + Tshit or Shirt

If you google - muslims dogs - there is a lot of stuff like the following for example.

Are Muslims in Europe Waging Jihad Against Dogs?

“Islamic legal tradition holds that dogs are "unclean" animals, and some say the call to ban them in Holland and elsewhere represents an attempted encroachment of Islamic Sharia law in Europe,” wrote Soeren Kern

Please don't make it a muslim / dog post, as said previously plenty of dogs and cats on this soi like any other soi

There has been a backlash with Muslims v French and the wearing of the Burqa in France.

This could well have triggered off some animosity!

Neither my father, myself or friends have ever encountered the negativity and abuse you are clearly suffering in Thailand.

How could he know i was French ?

Thai people think I'm american for some reason

Geez aneliane, ive never known anyone whos had this much negative stuff happen to them here as you.

You might want to have a good think about whats going on (in general, not just this situation).

Is it there area you live you think? (If so, maybe consider moving if its that seriously detrimental)

Or is it something maybe you do? (Think carefully..maybe you give out some kind of negative impression...??? Is it possible?)

If I was in that situation and the guy was rude to me, id first off be speaking in Thai, telling him he is speaking impolitely and not to speak to me in that way. Then i would have turned up in the area again, without the dog, buy something from a local muslim shop and ask them politely their opinion. Id either gain msyelf some allies, or know for sure there are rules (or just not friendly).

Could always (as suggested) don yourself a burka lol..

Edited by eek

Gap Tshirt.

It makes all the difference.

SC

I'm very grateful to you Aneliane; I never get accosted by loonies, you seem to keep them all busy

You don't say, where do you live by the way ?

Here seems to be infested by extremist Koran bangers

Gap Tshirt.

SC

I'm very grateful to you Aneliane; I never get accosted by loonies, you seem to keep them all busy

I'm lucky; I'm in Malaysia for the time being, which seems to be a far more religiously tolerant country than Thailand

SC

Gap Tshirt.

SC

I'm lucky; I'm in Malaysia for the time being, which seems to be a far more religiously tolerant country than Thailand

SC

Hang on you traitor don't actually live in the Land of Smiles ? tongue.png

Where abt in Mls ?

If you are not breaking any local laws and are within your rights, you can do one of two things. 1) Move to a non-muslim neighborhood or 2) tell them to <snip> off. Personally I would tell them to <snip> off, but that's just me.

Edited by metisdead