Aspirin A 'No Brainer' Against Cancer After Screening

marshbags

Just got this article via email.

It also refers to the bacterium Helicobacter pylori and stomach bleeding.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-18853597

It is good to get additional research to back up previous information via the cancer foundation in the U.K. I was also emailed on some while back

I hope it provides informative assistance for you who are taking it and others who may be considering doing so.

marshbags smile.png

Edited by marshbags

The article as written is a bit confusing.

I think what they are saying is that by first screening people for heliobacter it would be possible to rule out people most likely to have serious adverse effects from aspirin and thus make aspirin use safer, or something to that effect. It is a bit garbled as written.

Should note that heliobacter and history of gastritis/ulcer are not the only contraindications to aspirin, though they are important ones.

I've been taking low dose aspirin since 1993 ... I used to take the very cheap ones available in the UK. Now a doctor here recommended the coated type, apparently they don't attack the higher parts of the stomach as they dissolve lower down.

I do have a bit of gastritis but it seems much better since using coated aspirin and frequent use of Antacil.

The bleeding aspect is what bothers me. If there is a history of bleeding strokes in a past family member I read a year or so ago it puts the chances up of a living member having a bleed up by a factor of three ,that will be increased because of the blood thinning aspect of taking aspirin,too much of a risk

The bleeding aspect is what bothers me. If there is a history of bleeding strokes in a past family member I read a year or so ago it puts the chances up of a living member having a bleed up by a factor of three ,that will be increased because of the blood thinning aspect of taking aspirin,too much of a risk

I didn't think that Aspirin actually thinned the blood ......I thought that it worked like this.............

Aspirin helps to prevent blood clots forming. A blood clot may form in an artery (blood vessel) if a lot of platelets stick on to some atheroma. A clot in an artery may stop blood flowing to the tissues further down. If a blood clot forms in an artery in the heart or brain, it may cause a heart attack or stroke.

Low-dose aspirin reduces the stickiness of platelets. This helps to stop platelets sticking to a patch of atheroma and forming a blood clot.

So yes ... for bleading anywhere the clotting time is increased. That is why even for a 'tooth pull' the dentist will ask you to stop aspirin for about one week prior.

I didn't think that Aspirin actually thinned the blood ......I thought that it worked like this.............

Aspirin helps to prevent blood clots forming. A blood clot may form in an artery (blood vessel) if a lot of platelets stick on to some atheroma. A clot in an artery may stop blood flowing to the tissues further down. If a blood clot forms in an artery in the heart or brain, it may cause a heart attack or stroke.

Low-dose aspirin reduces the stickiness of platelets. This helps to stop platelets sticking to a patch of atheroma and forming a blood clot.

So yes ... for bleading anywhere the clotting time is increased. That is why even for a 'tooth pull' the dentist will ask you to stop aspirin for about one week prior.

What you describe is commonly known as blood thining although refering to it as reduced platlet stickiness would be more accurate, a bit of a mouthful however.

All medicines have the possibility of side effects. Ultimately you have to weigh up the good against the bad, as far as I'm concerned the worst is a gastric bleed and that is still better than an increased chance of bowel cancer or heart disease. I think too the risks have been overplayed and that gastric bleed is most pronounced with the eldery and those already suffering from gastric problems, take these people out the equation and the problem is very small. Yes, caution for sure, but if you went by the black box warning all the time, you'd take no medicines whatsoever and most of us would be suffering a chronic ailment or would possibly be dead already.