Suzuki Sv650 Prices In Thailand?

KRS1

Has anyone ever purchased a SV 650 in Thailand? I just picked up the half naked version here in California, and would like to get one in Thailand also when I get back.

This bike is freaking sweet, ergonomics are spectacular, and handles on a dime !

Edited by KRS1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other alternatives would be the Ducati M795 at 400K or the Yamaha FZ8 at 480K. Both handle better than the Kawa 650's.

Them prices may be more than what im willing to pay. I might just end up boxing this one up and shipping it to LOS, got this one for $4275 usd.

love it, very flickable and light.

eqzne.jpg

had one back home as well, with the dreaded camchain tensioner issue. check out the sv forums, and get it fixed with a manual tensioner before you ship it here

thanks for the tip.

That would be the obvious solution, except that i really don't like the seating or handling of the Ninja 650 - it doesn't match the way i ride.

Check out the 2012 models different seat. Might be better.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

I have

U obviously havnt looked into shipping a vehicle here yet, probably not worth your while mate

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Thaivisa Connect App

it'll be shipped as parts and reassembled, not worried about the book if i ride up north.

if i happen to change my mind and want the book, i can get one for 100k.

Edited by KRS1

That would be the obvious solution, except that i really don't like the seating or handling of the Ninja 650 - it doesn't match the way i ride.

Check out the 2012 models different seat. Might be better.

sat on the 2012 yesterday, but still didnt feel right to me, the handling just feels off to me for some reason.

I have

U obviously havnt looked into shipping a vehicle here yet, probably not worth your while mate

it'll be shipped as parts and reassembled, not worried about the book if i ride up north.

if i happen to change my mind and want the book, i can get one for 100k.

I know it's probably useless, but I tell you anyway... It's currently also impossible to register an imported secondhand/used motorcycle without a valid import permit. You will not get an import permit from the Foreign Trade Department of the Ministry of Commerce nor will the Industrial Standard Institute help you with papers needed... So you maybe able to get the motorcycle into the country, but it will never be 100% legally registered....

In one, two, maybe three or four years the north of Thailand will be as organized as Bangkok and your motorcycle is worth only a fraction of what you paid....

If you want a nice machine, even better than a SV650 buy a GSX-R600 http://www.redbaronbkk.com/products/item.php?id=110829-0000562

Edited by Richard-BKK

The biggest problem is that Thailand doesn't allow any secondhand or used motorcycles into the country.

Richard, you are joking right? And the north of Thailand will never be as organised as BKK, Chiang Mai may be close but riders in Chiang Rai, Lamphun, Lampang, Phayao, Nan etc etc will be fine for many years, just as they are now!

Edited by skybluestu

The biggest problem is that Thailand doesn't allow any secondhand or used motorcycles into the country.

Richard, you are joking right? And the north of Thailand will never be as organised as BKK, Chiang Mai may be close but riders in Chiang Rai, Lamphun, Lampang, Phayao, Nan etc etc will be fine for many years, just as they are now!

Things are changing. If you believe they will not. Great.

Many teachers thought that the teachers council would not enforce education degrees they are. Things are changing and on big bikes they will change quickly when the big bike manufacturers start complaining about non registered bikes affecting their sales.

Edited by thaicbr

Things are changing. If you believe they will not. Great.

Many teachers thought that the teachers council would not enforce education degrees they are. Things are changing and on big bikes they will change quickly when the big bike manufacturers start complaining about non registered bikes affecting their sales.

Strange comparison and not correct either, the TCT aren't enforcing education degrees but as this is the bike forum I'll stick to bikes. The vast majority of big bikes here have invoice papers and 3% excise tax paid but no plate/green book. This won't change for a good 10-15 yrs and, outside of BKK, Pattaya, Phuket and to an extent Chiang Mai, I don't believe it will be a problem to own one of these bikes.

Strange comparison and not correct either, the TCT aren't enforcing education degrees but as this is the bike forum I'll stick to bikes. The vast majority of big bikes here have invoice papers and 3% excise tax paid but no plate/green book. This won't change for a good 10-15 yrs and, outside of BKK, Pattaya, Phuket and to an extent Chiang Mai, I don't believe it will be a problem to own one of these bikes.

Yes you cannot import any secondhand or used motorcycle into Thailand, that is the law. Currently, some bike companies still have import permits which they use to keep the business running. But no new import permits are issued....

Not so long ago, less than 2-years ago in Bangkok the rules regarding registered or not registered would not interested any police officer... But today with the current bonus system and ticket quotas, and the obvious great source to increase pocket money changed all this...

And for Thai police and other government officers money makes things to change very very rapidly... And they not even have to cheat you... you will beg them to take the money to get your motorcycle back.. what more they would need...

P.S. The excise tax is 30% of the value including the 80% import tax of the motorcycle. So if a motorcycle was imported as parts, which have a lower import tax the overall excise tax + compensation cost will probably be higher than the standard 30% they calculate for the excise tax.

P.S. 2; The excise tax for a Triumph Rocket III is 35%....(just one exception in the motorcycles available)....

Edited by Richard-BKK

He seems to have it figured out anyway and all he asked was does anyone have one of these bikes!

It maybe sounds un-friendly, but it’s people like the OP who keeps the spare-parts market affordable. His motorcycle will at some point be confiscated and sold at an revenue department action and while likely be bought by a dealer who strips the motorcycle for spare-parts…

Edited by Richard-BKK

And let's not forget that there's a big new player in the legal big bike game...

Honda

Apparently due to start manufacturing big bikes early next year as well.

Don't they also have plans for more Big Wings around the country? I'm sure they mentioned the plan to open more in Chiang Mai and Phuket.

He seems to have it figured out anyway and all he asked was does anyone have one of these bikes!

It maybe sounds un-friendly, but it’s people like the OP who keeps the spare-parts market affordable. His motorcycle will at some point be confiscated and sold at an revenue department action and while likely be bought by a dealer who strips the motorcycle for spare-parts…

So you truly believe that EVERY bike without a green book will be confiscated? Now I understand why some people find your posts funny! No offence Richard but that is never going to happen.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Actually I not care if somebody likes my posts, finds them funny, or thinks that I'm crazy. To be honest deep in the back of my mind I wish that more people will think like you, and import motorcycles worth a halve a million or more into the country, and ride them without the right papers on the public road.

In the end, maybe not this year, but someday I will bid on those motorcycles at a revenue auction, and depending on brand, model and build year I will do the paperwork or use them to sell parts...

So in the end, this guy, who some people, as you describe it, find its posts funny.... will have the last laughs... and nobody can say I didn't warn them... And people who have legal motorcycles and looking for some hard to get part... find it helpful that they can get the part for not that much money...

I know, reality is sometimes hard... but this is how things happen in this beautiful country.

So you truly believe that EVERY bike without a green book will be confiscated? Now I understand why some people find your posts funny! No offence Richard but that is never going to happen.

Oh no, not all of them.

I'm sure that those with connections or make a nice donation to the police xmas party will be okay.

Remember the big bike raids around Isaan (and Chiang Mai?) about 2 years ago. TiT, anything can happen.

Enter a company like Honda into the game and anything can happen fast. I'm sure it wouldn't take much from them to get the authorities coming up with policies that make them all better off.

• Like 1

Richard, a normal person would have these problems, but im not normal (as many know) and have 15 years worth of contacts, some of which are family.

The bike would only be ridden in the mountains MHS loop, Nan, Samoeng etc...it wouldnt be a city bike.

Edited by KRS1

I thought the import ban included 2nd hand parts as well anyone confirm

well if thats the case then id have to fold.

But since performance parts are shipped in regularly i dont think its true, or they could just be claimed as new parts, nothing a little paint and sandblasting cant fix.

For what its worth,

I imported used front forks and triples from an 18-year-old KX500 about 3 months ago.

All I had to do was pay the ~30% tax on the goods and shipping? huh.png

The tax was referenced to "used motorcycle parts" if memory serves me correctly.

Why not import like redbaron or pattaya super bikes. The key is a license to assemble motorbikes in thailand. I honestly dont know how much the permit is or if you can still get one. As far as i can tell this is the o.ly way to import and obtain a proper green book. Maybe someone who k.ows more can elaborate.