Thai Embassy And Consulates In Uk ... And Other Questions On Visas

Hi Gang,

I am a UK national and live within easy reach of London.

I have done very little travelling outside the UK although I am mature in years. However, I now have the travelling bug. Last January, I spent 3 weeks in Koh Samui. This was my first foreign trip in over 20 years. I had a great time and have decided to return to Thailand this August.

I have booked my ticket. I arrive in Koh Samui on 20th August and leave Koh Samui on 16th November, so just under 90 days.

I shall spend some of the time exploring around Bangkok and the islands. I hope to find somewhere to rent to keep the costs down, although my first few days will be in an hotel whilst I find my feet.

I have not yet sorted out my Visa. I have been reading posts as best I can which seem to relate to Visas, but I am not sure I fully understand. There seem to be over 30,000 posts and I have skimmed the first 800.

As time is pressing on, and to set my rather pedantic mind at rest, I thought that I would ask some pretty basic questions, which you have probably answered dozens of times already, with your eyes closed, but which are hidden away in different places somewhere in those 30,000 posts.

I would confide that I lack common sense - in British English, I am regarded as being two sandwiches short of a picnic. Not sure what that is in 'Strine or what they would say in The Beautiful South, but you get my meaning. I say this, only in the hope that you will indulge me.

I would add that I emailed the Thai Embassy in London a few days ago, but I have not received a reply. This why I am posting here together with one or two extra queries.

Q.1: The various posts, replying to OPs from the UK, always seem to mention the Hull Consulate and occasionally the one at Birmingham, but never the Embassy in London. Is there any reason for this? Is London not trustworthy?

Q.2: It seems from their websites and from the posts on TV, that for my trip I need a single entry visa, which guarantees me 60 days. Correct? I don't need a double entry visa?

Q.3: Their website says that if I want to stay beyond 60 days (which of course I do) I have to sort that out in Thailand by making another application and paying another fee - ok that's cool. What worries me, though, is that it is at their discretion whether they say 'yes' or 'no' and it may be for 30 days or it may be for less. I appreciate that they are covering their backs, but presumably they will grant me 30 days?! Do I need to be worried?

Q.4: They give an address in Bangkok for an application to extend. Is this the only place, or are there others? I am not sure where I shall be at that time! I got the impression, for instance, from somewhere in the TV posts, that there is also a place in Koh Samui that could process my application to extend. Is that so please?

Q.5: Do I apply on the 60th day (assuming it is not a Sunday or public holiday) or can I apply a few days before?

Q.6: When I am on the plane to Thailand, I shall be handed by the cabin crew a form to complete for the 30 day tourist visa. Presumably, I can just ignore that and put it in the rubbish bin. All I need to hand over at Immigration Control is my passport and my single entry 60 day visa obtained in the UK?

You see, these are pretty basic questions, which I almost feel embarrassed to ask. Although. I have just over 4 weeks before my flight, I need to get my a** in gear. I would rather get it right first time, especially as it seems I must post my passport to them to get the visa - the Consulate at Birmingham for instance charges an extra 10 if you apply in person, rather than through the post.

I think that is everything so far. Thank you for your indulgence.

Greetings from over the Silver Sea

1. Embassy is busy with official duties so does not have the extra personal touch or mail service of Honorary Consulates - but would be fine for normal visa issue for a tourist.

2. Single entry that you extend 30 days at immigration office inside Thailand (for 1,900 baht) or a two entry where you exit Thailand before 60 days and return for second entry.

3. As above - they will not say no.

4. Any immigration office - there is one on Ko Samui.

5. You apply up to about a week early - time starts from current permitted to stay so no time lost doing early.

6. That form is for entry into Thailand - not for a visa exempt - you fill it in including the information from the new visa in your passport. And after getting stamp make sure it is for 60 days. That form tells the officer to look for your visa in passport and that you are entering on it and is kept with your passport for hotel to check and for your exit. You must have that entry form at all times.

Thanks lopburi3 for looking at this and for your clear concise answers. Much appreciated.

I have been looking at the respective websites for Birmingham, Hull and London to decide which one to apply to.

Strangely they don't have the same format For instance, unlike London and Birmingham, Hull does not say that you can apply in Thailand to extend the single entry 60 day visa by another 30 days:

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/download.aspx?id=20120109161317

It says simply that you cannot stay in Thailand for more than the permitted 60 days and then goes on to talk about visas with than more entry. Is this an oversight by the Consulate or am I missing something? Presumably, the visa issued by Hull is just as good as one issued by London or Birmingham. Could you confirm please.

Hull seems better, because for an extra 10, they will arrange the return of your passport by special delivery. With Birmingham, however, you have to include a prepaid self addressed special delivery envelope which is just extra hassle.

As you know, London does not accept postal applications. I would have been happy to make a personal application, but they do not process it the same day. You have to return on a separate day, which of course bumps up the cost.

Thanks for you help and advice.

Hi

I have used Hull several times( for non immigrant visa) and Birmingham once.

Both had a very speedy postal service. e.g post out on a Monday, receive passport back on a Wednesday.

They couldn`t really be any quicker.

I`ve also phoned both and found them very helpful.

Well I posted on Monday to Hull and it has just come back to me safely today (Wednesday). Phew. The postman told me as I was signing for delivery that he has a Thai wife :)

BTW, in my original post, I had said that I had emailed the Thai embassy in London several days before, and that as I had not received a reply, this was why I was I was posting my questions on TV. Well, I am still waiting for a reply from them so I am glad that I posted here.

Thanks everyone

Edited by Silver sea