What If... Tourist Bitten By Dog (The 2Nd Most Reason In Hospital Treatment)

ddpffft

ok... im convinced...

i will take all bites and just roll over...

at the end it was my fault anyway... something is wrong with me... the dogs here are fine...

thanks everyone for their contribution.

otherwise, i would have never made that connection...

Edited by ddpffft

it is IMPOSSIBLE to walk along ANY street in bangkok at night time, without having a gang of dogs running after you... and to make clear, its not only one gang... one after the other, all along the way...

in reality this means, people cant walk on the sidewalk...

i think, the travel guides have to be updated by this fact...

"you cant walk at nighttime on a sidewalk"

"be prepared to pay some thousands for rabies shots"

you might find that normal and to be accepted by tourists, i dont think it is...

Thailand IS declared as a country to have rabies

It is your responsibility as a tourist to come prepared with adequate vaccins

ok... im convinced...

i will take all bites and just roll over...

at the end it was my fault anyway... something is wrong with me... the dogs here are fine...

thanks everyone for their contribution.

otherwise, i would have never made that connection...

I'm glad you finally understand.

Although like others, I'm amazed that you're bitten so often blink.png .

so bottom line, if i understood it right...

you can ask for compensation

1 ) the restaurant, if you fall sick with food poisoning after you ate there...

2 ) the dog owner, if you get bitten

nobody can ask for compensation when being seriously ill/dying of

1 ) a bacteria, killing people repeatedly, because the thai forensics were not able to determine it...

People are normally only killed once, repeating this is generally not required.

Proving it was that particular restaurant that you got food poisoning from will be fun for you, and asking dog owners for compensation, where possible, could end up with them setting their dogs on you.

A bit different from a Western society where the population sees it as their right to sue or blame the nearest person for the smallest inconvenience

wow, one would think they would then do something about the straying dogs...

rabies just shrugged off?

Edited by ddpffft

A bit different from a Western society where the population sees it as their right to sue or blame the nearest person for the smallest inconvenience

true, a fine declaration/enforcement of citizens right might lead to sort of "insurance mentality"...

but where does the other extreme as in thailand practised lead to ?

that a restaurant can serve you their rotten fish - and get away with it...

that guest house owners can spray every cheap poison in their rooms - and get away with it..?

possible?

Edited by ddpffft

They do do certian things but compensating people is just not one of them ..... they provide free shots once a year for example , they drive around in pickups and give shots to anyone who wants one in my area. It's a matter of you thinking they should do more not that they don't do anything at all.
  • Like 1

true, a fine declaration/enforcement of citizens right might lead to sort of "insurance mentality"...

that guest house owners can spray every cheap poison in their rooms - and get away with it..?

possible?

But this thread is about you being unable to walk anywhere without being pursued by packs of dogs that bite you at every opportunity?

possible?

It leads to allowing the private sector to decide if a restraunt is worthy of eating at instead of the gov. It leads to hotels who want customers not poisioning them rather than paying the gov to run around checking for poisions in hotels. What it leads to is giving more choice to everyone with less expense rather than high taxes and the gov telling everyone how to act while pertending to earn their pay. What it leads to is exactly what most Westerners wish they had , less gov and no property taxes.

Funny you should mention the gas in hotels ..... I woke up once at 3 am and went outside and the entire hotel common areas had been gassed with toxic bug gas ! I had to hold my breath all the way out and when I got outside the hotel staff was all outside and I asked why they gassed the place at 3 am and they said because everyone but you is sleepping and will never know !

Edited by MrRealDeal

possible?

As said before, welcome to Thailand. If I remember correctly, insurance for a tourist/traveller/expat is up to the individual and not the concern of the country being visited. That is the main reason for insurance.

Just a quick one ddpffft, how many times have you been bitten by a dog in Thailand? And if you have been bitten, what tretment did you receive and how much did it cost you?

Trying not to make it a trick question, what happened if you got bitten while undergoing treatment from the first bite?

Last one, how many dog packs are under your bridge? Or is that the one that collapsed that you mentioned earlier?

It leads to allowing the private sector to decide if a restraunt is worthy of eating at instead of the gov. It leads to hotels who want customers not poisioning them rather than paying the gov to run around checking for poisions in hotels. What it leads to is giving more choice to everyone with less expense rather than high taxes and the gov telling everyone how to act while pertending to earn their pay. What it leads to is exactly what most Westerners wish they had , less gov and no property taxes.

i dont agree...

in general tourists are considered "one-time-customers" by restaurants, and in case of guesthouses, if someone just falls sick, it even extends the stay... nobody in the first place thinks of a poisoned room... its blamed onto food, the new environment, ice cubes etc...

it leads to recklessnes towards people and environment... jmho...

Edited by ddpffft

it is IMPOSSIBLE to walk along ANY street in bangkok at night time, without having a gang of dogs running after you... and to make clear, its not only one gang... one after the other, all along the way...

you might find that normal and to be accepted by tourists, i dont think it is...

Seriously, they have vaccines for rabies?

so bottom line, if i understood it right...

you can ask for compensation

1 ) the restaurant, if you fall sick with food poisoning after you ate there...

2 ) the dog owner, if you get bitten

nobody can ask for compensation when being seriously ill/dying of

1 ) a bacteria, killing people repeatedly, because the thai forensics were not able to determine it...

no you understood incorrectly

you can not ask for compensation if the dog bites you or if you fall sick after eating at some place

You are welcome to file a law suit and wait it out till the hearing and then provide evidence that it was indeed that dog that bite you, and it was that food in the restaurant that made you sick

after you provide all the evidence, court will award you 5000-10000 baht and you can use that money to pay your lawyer's bill which should only be around 200-300K

When I was refering to the sueing of a rest I was actually meaning in the US not Thailand .... In Thailand they would tell you to take a hike and eat someplace else unless everyone who ate their got sick the same day.

Not sure how quoting my post relates, but why even bother to compare USA to Thailand ?

There are many things one can do here but can not do there and vice versa.

Different countries , different cultures, even different continents

Seriously, they have vaccines for rabies?

Lol, yes

i dont agree...

in general tourists are considered "one-time-customers" by restaurants, and in case of guesthouses, if someone just falls sick, it even extends the stay... nobody in the first place thinks of a poisoned room... its blamed onto food, the new environment, ice cubes etc...

I think you should write a letter to PM and express your opinions on the matter.

Drew Noyles wrote one not so long ago

i dont agree...

I didnt expect you to agree ...... but if you think the gov cares more about people not getting sick at restraunts than the rest owners you would be wrong. If you think people are poisioning people at hotels in hopes they extend their vacations you would be wrong. You simply don't understand that the government is not only not capable of saving everyone but they don't care nearly as much as the owner of bisness who's livelyhood depends on a good reputation.

Currently, pre-exposure immunization has been used on domesticated and normal non-human populations. In many jurisdictions, domestic dogs, cats, ferrets, and rabbits are required to be vaccinated.

Imrab is an example of a veterinary rabies vaccine containing the Pasteur strain of killed rabies virus. Several different types of Imrab exist, including Imrab, Imrab 3, and Imrab Large Animal. Imrab 3 has been approved for ferrets and, in some areas, pet skunks

I would think I had bigger problems than rabies with a pet skunk ! lol

The human diploid cell rabies vaccine (H.D.C.V.) was started in 1967. Human diploid cell rabies vaccines are made using the attenuated Pitman-Moore L503 strain of the virus. Human diploid cell rabies vaccines have been given to more than 1.5 million people as of 2006

Edited by MrRealDeal

Currently, pre-exposure immunization has been used on domesticated and normal non-human populations. In many jurisdictions, domestic dogs, cats, ferrets, and rabbits are required to be vaccinated.

Imrab is an example of a veterinary rabies vaccine containing the Pasteur strain of killed rabies virus. Several different types of Imrab exist, including Imrab, Imrab 3, and Imrab Large Animal. Imrab 3 has been approved for ferrets and, in some areas, pet skunks

The human diploid cell rabies vaccine (H.D.C.V.) was started in 1967. Human diploid cell rabies vaccines are made using the attenuated Pitman-Moore L503 strain of the virus. Human diploid cell rabies vaccines have been given to more than 1.5 million people as of 2006

I think this info you copied from some where is little outdated, rabies vaccines have changed dramatically in the past few years. Even the painful injections are not longer painful and injected into shoulder instead of stomach.

I think this info you copied from some where is little outdated, rabies vaccines have changed dramatically in the past few years. Even the painful injections are not longer painful and injected into shoulder instead of stomach.

The info was historical not outdated, the most recent advancment is the V-RG it came about in 1984 which was not just a few years ago.

Please note: even if you're vaccinated you need a few (but less) shots after being bitten. Vaccination doesn't make immune.

Need 2 shots after each bite, this i know, have been bitten 3 times in the past 10 months,

Only soi dogs did not chase me, was breaking up fights between my dogs and some soi dogs.

Not a big deal, scars look good on any man biggrin.png

Please note: even if you're vaccinated you need a few (but less) shots after being bitten. Vaccination doesn't make immune.

This would contradict that : The duration of immunity afforded to humans by a two injection vaccination course was found to be between two to three years.[11][12][13] Following administration of a booster dose (recommended at one year), one study found 97% of immuno-competent individuals demonstrate protective levels of neutralizing antibodies at 10 years

Maybe you should stop walking around at night with bacon in your pockets as I've never had a problem with this

This would contradict that : The duration of immunity afforded to humans by a two injection vaccination course was found to be between two to three years.[11][12][13] Following administration of a booster dose (recommended at one year), one study found 97% of immuno-competent individuals demonstrate protective levels of neutralizing antibodies at 10 years

again outdated info. any physician will tell you that you need 2 shots after each bite as a booster

again outdated info. any physician will tell you that you need 2 shots after each bite as a booster

Because 97% is not "immune". Rabies is deadly, so you cannot take any risk, even if only 3%.

Because 97% is not "immune". Rabies is deadly, so you cannot take any risk, even if only 3%.

Sure I understand

rabies just shrugged off?

No they actually do a lot more than western countries regarding the stray dogs suspected of rabies.

They take them in center for isolation and vaccinate them for free.

If you see a dog that is suspected of rabies you have a number to call and they come and pick it up

In the West they just kill them

Edited by aneliane

It all depend of your immune system.

If it's low, you might still develop rabies despite having vaccinated, especially if it's recent.*

In THL it's every year because the risk is real

In the west every 10 years