Retiring At 32 With $3M Usd

ExCommando

i don't know if op is a troll but he seems a bit unusual.

I said the same thing, my post was deleted.

Still, look at it from the site owners point of view, the troll posts certainly get the most hits, more hits gets the revenue up.

Thats why this post will be deleted too.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bear in mind that expats in Thailand who lead a western style lifestyle- nice apartment in Bangkok, international school for the kids etc typically have expenses of 300,000-400,000 baht (or @ 10,000- 13,000 AUD) per month.

wow, really lol

I eat out most days, have a house, a few dogs and a daughter and I don;t even come close to spending that much per month. Although I don't pay any rent.

You don;t need to spend anywhere near that per month to live comforatbly in Thailand.

Don't tell me, you live on 50k a month?

I like Thailand, but with that kind of money I probably wouldn't live here. It's the same with guys spending over 200k a month here, why? Horses for courses I know, but the lack of education, healthcare, things to do when you have money and general corruption would have me living in another part of the world.

Thailand can be very cheap and that is part of the appeal, but can you have a better lifestyle in another country with these figures, dam_n right.

Bear in mind that expats in Thailand who lead a western style lifestyle- nice apartment in Bangkok, international school for the kids etc typically have expenses of 300,000-400,000 baht (or @ 10,000- 13,000 AUD) per month.

wow, really lol

I eat out most days, have a house, a few dogs and a daughter and I don;t even come close to spending that much per month. Although I don't pay any rent.

You don;t need to spend anywhere near that per month to live comforatbly in Thailand.

It varies, depends on what I am doing. sometimes I dont even spend that much a month, sometimes I spend that in a day.

But when I first came here, I was living off 90K a month, no rent, had a car and was traveling all around Thailand.

wow, really lol

It varies, depends on what I am doing. sometimes I dont even spend that much a month, sometimes I spend that in a day.

But when I first came here, I was living off 90K a month, no rent, had a car and was traveling all around Thailand.

So you have a family and a house yet you admit that sometimes you can live on LESS than 50k a month??

Impossible IMO.

why would anyone with $3m and a young child want to move to Thailand?

here is a clue, rich Thais leave Thailand and take their children overseas.

i don't know if op is a troll but he seems a bit unusual.

what is it you like so much about Thailand?

I guess it all depends on your goals, aspiration and perspectives in life - I've achieved everything that is deemed as important in Western society; the money, the house, the power and the success ... but I'm not even remotely fulfilled or satisfied with my lot.

What do I like about Thailand? Firstly, the lifestyle; for me, it's the perfect mix of serenity and hustle and bustle.

Secondly, the cost of living - my money will stretch an awful long way.

I'm only replying in detail because I don't think it's warranted, or fair, in claiming that I am trolling - if you think I am, and you think it's to raise revenue for the site owner, WHY would you reply and increase the exposure? Do you really not have anything better to do than reply to a troll?

I like Thailand, but with that kind of money I probably wouldn't live here. It's the same with guys spending over 200k a month here, why? Horses for courses I know, but the lack of education, healthcare, things to do when you have money and general corruption would have me living in another part of the world.

Thailand can be very cheap and that is part of the appeal, but can you have a better lifestyle in another country with these figures, dam_n right.

Where would you suggest?

Would be interesting to read in what area/business the OP made his money? Would you be able to do you new business in Thailand? Is it a continuation of your old one (same old same old?)

Firstly, are you going to just take time out? Chill? Read a book? Sunbathe?

What about studying...for the sake of educating yourself? Learn languages? Thai/Japanese/Chinese? Maybe even teaching kids if you want to "give something back"?

Fitness...martial arts, tennis, golf? Thousands fo things to learn and new adventures to have.

If I had half of your amount I'd be gone tomorrow thumbsup.gif

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

wow, really lol

Well, monthly rent in a good condo with great facilities, nice garden, central bkk- 100,000-140,000 baht per month to kick off. Couple of nannies/maids, driver= 40-45,000 K, top 3 school 45,000 per month per child. Soooooo we have more than 200K just for the basics (as some would consider that!). Oh and eating out- think more Marriott Sukhumvit New York steak house (15,000 baht for two people for a 3 course dinner and one bottle of wine more than Sizzlers.rolleyes.gif

I guess it all depends on your goals, aspiration and perspectives in life - I've achieved everything that is deemed as important in Western society; the money, the house, the power and the success ... but I'm not even remotely fulfilled or satisfied with my lot.

ok, this is a silly and naive view of west vs thailand.

in thailand they do not even have freedom of speech. you say the wrong thing and you go to prison. some enlightened and amazing country! there is no wealth distribution. no free press. no equality. no human rights.

it is not a great place to raise a young child. probably not even a good place.

i would recommend not liquidating assets on a silly whim.

with the money you have, the world is your oyster, you can go anywhere or do anything. Thailand is like McDonalds. why would you want to go to Mcdonalds? if you were a desperate old man (no offense boys) i could understand it, but as a young guy with a child it makes zero sense to me.

best of luck (assuming you are not a troll)

also, you are saying crap about wanting to open a business later on down the road. it is considered very tedious to run and operate a business in Thailand, high failure rate, tons of red tape. most of the guys who come here and start a business are middle aged men who can't get laid in their home country (no offense) and want to live here. it is done out of necessity. the majority of farang owned businesses will fail. you will have to learn Thai to be successful, etc etc etc.

the whole notion of 2 very wealthy farangs with a baby farang moving to developing world thailand to find enlightenment after conquering the business world of Australia sounds very unusual - this is why i thought you were a troll.

Edited by farang000999

if you have a 3.2m business you have probably not been taking long vacations. do you really know thailand? i would recommend against hasty decisions. you might miss life in australia and your business there more than you think. perhaps a temporary hiatus would be wiser. the real thailand may not be as glamorous.

Where would you suggest?

I've only lived in the uk and Thailand, but I've been to about 30 countries give or take. Now if I was to have this kind of disposable income, I would look at the Mediterranean countries and Australia (where to op comes from). Reasons are like I said, plus variety of foods, car prices, no saving face and comical social structure, better road safety, not wondering whether you are being ripped off all the time, etc.

Don't get me wrong I like Thailand and the things about don't get me down so much that I want to leave. But Thailand isn't the greatest country in the world and on that money you can live virtually anywhere you want. If the op is looking for spiritually I find Thailand quite laughable as a destination.

More likely than not I would live in a country for about a year and then move on because I love change and variety, but this is just me.

Start, Paris, South of France, Barcelona, Spanish island, maybe Portugal, Australia, Japan, Brazil, New York, etc would all be place I would live for a while. As the op quotes Bill Gates saying a million buys you freedom. Well why not use that freedom?

• Like 1

wow, really lol

Well, monthly rent in a good condo with great facilities, nice garden, central bkk- 100,000-140,000 baht per month to kick off. Couple of nannies/maids, driver= 40-45,000 K, top 3 school 45,000 per month per child. Soooooo we have more than 200K just for the basics (as some would consider that!). Oh and eating out- think more Marriott Sukhumvit New York steak house (15,000 baht for two people for a 3 course dinner and one bottle of wine more than Sizzlers.rolleyes.gif

Why live in Bkk? Crappest capital city in the world.

I like driving and don't drink.

Why have kids if you don't want to look after them.

Top school or top school in Thailand. Big difference.

As I said before you are not getting value for anything at those prices living in Thailand. Go to Brazil. Fo Go Da Chao (sp) restaurants over there, best steak in the world. Less than 500b per person.

wow, really lol

Why live in Bkk? Crappest capital city in the world.

I like driving and don't drink.

Why have kids if you don't want to look after them.

Top school or top school in Thailand. Big difference.

As I said before you are not getting value for anything at those prices living in Thailand. Go to Brazil. Fo Go Da Chao (sp) restaurants over there, best steak in the world. Less than 500b per person.

Just one quibble- the top 3 schools in Bangkok are world class and equivalent to the top schools anywhere for all practical purposes (apart from a handle ful of global renown e.g. Eton etc).

wow, really lol

wow.

I guess most people are living your so called western lifestyle as you mentioned above.

So you have a family and a house yet you admit that sometimes you can live on LESS than 50k a month??

Impossible IMO.

Quite easily.

On a quiet busy month when I am too busy to do anything on weekends

4,000 baht for petrol for the month

4,000 for electricity bills/phone

2,000 for phone.

10,000 baht for food

20,000 for a 2 year old, food and sheet.

10,000 for eating out/beer.

If I was paying for rent for the house I live in, it would be much much more.

in thailand they do not even have freedom of speech. you say the wrong thing and you go to prison. some enlightened and amazing country! there is no wealth distribution. no free press. no equality. no human rights.

This is such an absolutely ridiculous statement. Yes, I'm sure you can find examples for each, but I can find more examples to the contrary. At the same time, I can find examples of America lacking freedom of speech, wealth distribution, human rights, equality, etc., but I'd hardly say that was what America was about. Your hatred of Thailand has completely distorted your perspective....and credibility.

• Like 1

Would be interesting to read in what area/business the OP made his money? Would you be able to do you new business in Thailand? Is it a continuation of your old one (same old same old?)

Firstly, are you going to just take time out? Chill? Read a book? Sunbathe?

What about studying...for the sake of educating yourself? Learn languages? Thai/Japanese/Chinese? Maybe even teaching kids if you want to "give something back"?

Fitness...martial arts, tennis, golf? Thousands fo things to learn and new adventures to have.

If I had half of your amount I'd be gone tomorrow thumbsup.gif

RAZZ

I own a real estate agency here in Australia - and have invested the majority of the profit into buy and hold residential investments; have always bought run down properties and renovated, which has seen quite a good rise in the equity as well as the return.

I've also funded the entire business through cashflow - have been sensible enough to reinvest the profit back into the business, minus the nice house and car and a few toys along the way.

I would not be interested in a new career in real estate - the purpose of selling the business here is to look at other options in life. I do not see the point in continuing to "work" in the traditional sense to simply accumulate more money.

For those that think I'm a troll - you have obviously not achieved monetary success, because if you had, you would know that achieving substantial wealth breaks the illusion that it's worth pursuing.

Don't get me wrong; you need a certain amount to bring freedom, but anything after that magical number turns into a pointless and fruitless endeavor. Money to a certain point is great, it really does give you the opportunity to explore what else life has to offer ... but working your life to generate more and more millions is a complete waste of time, and in itself is supremely selfish.

If you think I am a troll, or lying, why bother reading this post - and why, above everything else, bother writing? Simply press the BACK button, and spend your time writing to someone else, or contributing to another post.

Thanks to those that have contributed, I really appreciate it :)

• Like 1

Impossible IMO.

Quite easily.

On a quiet busy month when I am too busy to do anything on weekends

4,000 baht for petrol for the month

4,000 for electricity bills/phone

2,000 for phone.

10,000 baht for food

20,000 for a 2 year old, food and sheet.

10,000 for eating out/beer.

If I was paying for rent for the house I live in, it would be much much more.

So you never have to or choose to buy anything? just living expenses and that's it? I've never understood that, you go through life and never buy anything?? Extremely bizarre. How does your wife survive?

The previous posts I said some months I spend less than 50K a month. Most months probably more and some probably much much more (repairs to the house after the floods and replacing furniture)

I pretty much got everything I need, actually I want to buy a basketball ring, maybe this weekend if I get time.

I go drinking a few nights a week with clients, but usually the night is paid for by the client.

I actually save a lot of my money and put it into my daughters account for when she gets older, I pretty much have everything I need (apart from the basketball ring) and a few holidays.

Also my wife and I run a business here, some weeks we work 7 days a week, some 5. Just depends on how much business is coming through.

The disruptive troll has been silenced, please return to using the forum as it was intended, asking questions, and getting answers.

If anyone else has issues, keep in mind nobody is forcing you to read any topic, but we will enforce a standard of politeness when people are making inquiries.

• Like 2

if you have a 3.2m business you have probably not been taking long vacations. do you really know thailand? i would recommend against hasty decisions. you might miss life in australia and your business there more than you think. perhaps a temporary hiatus would be wiser. the real thailand may not be as glamorous.

whistling.gif Exactly right.

Your real problem may be that after 5 years (or less) you are bored sh-tless in Thailand...and you can think of nothing else but getting out of Thailnd.

Living on a long-term basis in Thailand will turn out to be far different than taking a few vacations in Thailand before.

That's NOT to say you can't handle it....that's up to YOUR nature....but be absolutely sure it's what you really want before you jump into the deep end of the pool.

And then, what about you fiancee....what will SHE feel like in 5 or 10 years about living in Thailand.

She may hate Thailand....and if you want to stay in Thailand and she wants out of Thailand at any cost....what will happen then to your marriage?

Also...although it may not happen,,,I would suggest that you consider the possibility that your "retirement income" MAY be 20% to 25% LESS in...let's just say....10 years from now than it is today. (inflation. economic crash, etc.)

IF such a thing did happen...if your purchasing power was 20% less in 10 years from now....could you still handle that?

Now, add one or two children in school...and expecting to go to university in their future....and add that into the cost mix.

Could you do it?

Consider those questions very carefully.

From my personal experience....the money I thought would be adequate (in U.S. dollars in my case) for my "retirement" when I first considered that 30 years ago is barely adequate today....and won't/can't buy the lifestyle today I assumed it would 30 years ago.

And I don't think 30 years from today that will be any different....maybe even worse.

whistling.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

whistling.gif Exactly right.

Your real problem may be that after 5 years (or less) you are bored sh-tless in Thailand...and you can think of nothing else but getting out of Thailnd.

Living on a long-term basis in Thailand will turn out to be far different than taking a few vacations in Thailand before.

That's NOT to say you can't handle it....that's up to YOUR nature....but be absolutely sure it's what you really want before you jump into the deep end of the pool.

And then, what about you fiancee....what will SHE feel like in 5 or 10 years about living in Thailand.

She may hate Thailand....and if you want to stay in Thailand and she wants out of Thailand at any cost....what will happen then to your marriage?

Also...although it may not happen,,,I would suggest that you consider the possibility that your "retirement income" MAY be 20% to 25% LESS in...let's just say....10 years from now than it is today. (inflation. economic crash, etc.)

IF such a thing did happen...if your purchasing power was 20% less in 10 years from now....could you still handle that?

Now, add one or two children in school...and expecting to go to university in their future....and add that into the cost mix.

Could you do it?

Consider those questions very carefully.

From my personal experience....the money I thought would be adequate (in U.S. dollars in my case) for my "retirement" when I first considered that 30 years ago is barely adequate today....and won't/can't buy the lifestyle today I assumed it would 30 years ago.

And I don't think 30 years from today that will be any different....maybe even worse.

whistling.gif

For sure - they are good points.

My fiance is almost more keen on Thailand than I am! It's really a spring board to the rest of our life - we have a good 20 years to move around and see things - I just see Thailand as familiar ground, and somewhere that I think will be great to spend a few years. If a business opportunity comes around, great - but for the first year we are definitely just going to relax, chill out, spend time with our daughter (maybe have another one;) and figure out what we are going to do.

• Like 1

The disruptive troll has been silenced, please return to using the forum as it was intended, asking questions, and getting answers.

If anyone else has issues, keep in mind nobody is forcing you to read any topic, but we will enforce a standard of politeness when people are making inquiries.

Thank you!

If that were even mostly the case, no one would be left here to run things. A more accurate norm would be that some children get sent abroad for their education, ideally a child to Australia, England, and the US. They also all get a degree or two in Thailand as well, and they end up settling here or managing family operations overseas, but never really cut off from Thailand. That's just generally speaking of course... some kids might get high school abroad, college here, grad school abroad, or any other similar permutation.

smile.png

Edited by Heng

If that were even mostly the case, no one would be left here to run things. A more accurate norm would be that some children get sent abroad for their education, ideally a child to Australia, England, and the US. They also all get a degree or two in Thailand as well, and they end up settling here or managing family operations overseas, but never really cut off from Thailand. That's just generally speaking of course... some kids might get high school abroad, college here, grad school abroad, or any other similar permutation.

smile.png

Nobody in Thailand stays after they have made a lot of money, Look at Thaksin for example.... He left thumbsup.gif

Every Thai or Foreigner who makes good money here leave Thailand.

I want you to take this constructivly and not look at it like a troll post to both the OP and any mods ......

This is one of the most foolish plans I have ever heard of ..... Your bisness is no facebook , it's a bisness that provides you with an upper middle class income , not anything more than that or it would sell for a higher price. Your plan is to trade your upper middle class income, that we will assume, because it's saleable, is comparativly risk free as opposed to getting the same bacic income from the capitol. which presently would require MORE than is reasonable to expect however perhaps not on a historical basis.

So what you are doing is taking a huge unessary risk in order to lose income , mostly because 3mill in cash seems cool , not because it makes any sensible bisness sence. You are also assuming that because you had one sucsess it will happen again next time , perhaps it will , but for those that it does happen for it's not because they sell one and make another it's because they open another and have both most of the time.

You also say the bis will sell for 3 mill so you will have 3 mill , obviously you have other assets however you seem to disreguard the 30 percent in Cap Gains tax you would pay since you stated you have built the bis up from the ground and not bought it for 3 and are selling it for 3 , you will be paying tax on the sales profits. So you won't be making anything in year 1 you will be losing about 700,000 of your net worth or so.

Your 31 and you have a decent income from a decent bisness just like millions of other people , the reason they are not all running off to 3rd world countries cashing out and hoping to live off the profits or start a new one is because it's not a good idea , no need to take my word for it just ask ANY financial planner.

The problem with what you are planning is that it's not really about a sensible financial plan it's about wanting 3 mill in cash before taxes ( no need to say it's not because I know you think that but it's just not true ) The basic flaw in the plan is this ..... You have we will say, a fairly unusually sucsessfull bisness not average or slightly above but a somewhat exceptional one that by virtue of being saleable for 3 mill would indicate it will continue, and what you are doing is cashing out of that in hopes your next venture will do just as well or the cash will provide a decent income , the cash will not do as well , and what you are doing is selling one thing is hopes you can buy or create the very thing you already have ! Thats what makes it such a foolish plan.

What would make sence would be the obvious compromise , hire a competant manager instead of selling it and keep the bisness and a good portion of your income and your asset. Rather than sell it use it for collateral or income , but if it's worth 3 mill you don't need to sell it to have a 3mill net worth. An experienced person who as you stated wanted to open another, would not sell it to accomplish that he would leverage against it in such a way as to not lose both if the next didn't work out.

I know it might seem like 3mill and you can retire and become a filanthrapist , and if you were 80 that might be true , but throwing away the goose that is laying the golden egg, in hopes of finding another goose, which you don't even need, is an incredibly poor plan. Even if the amount of tax was zero.

smile.png

Nobody in Thailand stays after they have made a lot of money, Look at Thaksin for example.... He left thumbsup.gif

Every Thai or Foreigner who makes good money here leave Thailand.

Feverishly trying to book a flight out of here on Expedia NOW, but there doesn't seem to be a payment option for gold nuggets or trading in Khmer servants.

:-|

For those of you saying it's not a good plan etc, it's a perfectly valid plan, based on their priorities. They know that they have enough money to sustain them indefinitely in Thailand, and in many other parts of the world too, and they want to enjoy the fruits of their labours. Lifestyle is often the most important thing.

I would however suggest this to the OP (Although having a successful business, I'm sure that they'll have thought of many of these already lol):

1/ Be conservative with your income, set a minimum amount to save/reinvest every money. Because even though you have enough now, you have a long future to look forward to, and you may wish to return to Australia at some point, or another equally expensive country, in the future. You'll want a good education for your daughter, and that's not cheap, there are always benefits to having "more" in the future.

2/ When you re-invest, try to diversify, as although you've thought about inflation, you still need to be careful of currency shifts and localised problems. If rentals bomb out, you don't want to be caught short. Likewise, you don't want to invest all in one city, what if a natural disaster were to happen in say Sydney? Or maybe even not all in one country, what is the $Au bombs out? You want security, so that you can be assured of a solid passive income over the next 50 years, that's a long time and anything could happen.

3/ You will need something to do with your free time. You'll die of boredom otherwise. Investing your money might be nice, but you'll need something else. You've suggested a business, or maybe some charity work, that's a good idea. Have multiple strategies, and try to learn the language too, it'll occupy your time and be extremely useful.

4/ Have a backup plan, or multiple, and don't just be set on "Living" in Thailand longterm. You could easily go to another country and live a very nice lifestyle, as you can travel the world, living in each country for 6-12 months without any problems. Especially while your daughter hasn't started school yet, so then you can take her with you, she can learn multiple languages and when she's ready to start school you could start to settle down in the country which you like the most.

That's my 2c anyway