Help Moving To Nakhon Ratchasima

ableguy

I am living in Hua Hin for the past three years and moved here from Bangkok. I moved here because of the wonderful beaches and layed back life style , however I have had four major cases of skin cancer needing surgery and so the beach is no longer a part of my life. My g/f and I have discussed this at length and have decided to move to NR for a variety of reasons one of them being we feel sure it is a much cheaper place to live than Hua Hin so in need of advice. I plan on making at least three week long visits over the next six months to scout things out as we have that long left on my rental contract. Currently I pay 18,000 a month for a two bed three bath house with a low maintainace yard a couple of ks out of town, house has a kitchen. Question. Can I find some thing similar for around 12,000 a month ? what area should we look in ? have read the town web site so well informed on shops and hospitals etc. We love to travel and if we can save 6,000 a month on rent we figure we can use the moneyb for more travel ( in Aisa ) Our likes are playing pool maybe twice a week, not much of a bar prop but quite sociable and enjoy entertaining at home BBq drinks etc. All help much appreciated. Also on a retirement visa so where is the nearest Immigration office.

A big change from Hua Hin. If you live just a few clicks out of town on the train line, you can find some nice places for 5000. I had one in Chakkarat for 2000. Just built. One hour train trip on the third class, 4 baht.

The hospitals here are great.

Edited by bunnydrops

Agree, a big change. be prepared for a different vibe. I've lived in Samui and Phuket and found the mix of tourists and locals improved the vibe. My impression was that bars that were frequented only by farang residents were boring. Old blokes either whinging or reliving their past lives.

But it sounds like you know your stuff. So good luck.

A big change from Hua Hin. If you live just a few clicks out of town on the train line, you can find some nice places for 5000. I had one in Chakkarat for 2000. Just built. One hour train trip on the third class, 4 baht.

Must agree a big change however not to worry me as I have lived all over the world. its just the way my life turned out, 200 baht seems unreal after living in BKK and Hua Hin, we will be in town next week on our first forrage and will check this out.

Hi thanks for response looked this up on the map, whats the housing situation there ? will be in town next week and can check out this area, if its not too much trouble pm me with a few details and I do appreciate this response.

u can still rent a nice 2 bedroom bungalow in sakon for 4000-5000 per month. maybee worth a look.

also has immigration office and all the big supermarkets, and a very good military hospital.

check it out.

Thanks for reply Sakon is a bit far out for us as my gf parents live in Chaiayphum and we also have friends there, the town itself is too small for me and also I dont want to live in their back yard if you get my drift but it would be ok in NR. For myself I like the area where you live I was up there last year very rural and pleasant and 5000 sounds like a dream.

I have a friend who lives in Korat so I have been there a number of times. Korat at least for me is the least desirable city to live I have ever been to. If you want city life, I'd recommend Khon Kaen or Udon. There are areas outside the city that are quite nice but Korat leaves much to be desired. IMHO.

If I read the post correctly, the parents of the gf of Ableguy live in Chaiyaphum. It is no contest. Khon Kaen is a far superior place to live in than NR (Korat). However, I do like Chaiyaphum. Quiet place and close to some good national parks. But it has no airport or train station. I have always found Korat a soul-less place. But for lively towns nothing beats Udorn or Ubon. They go all night. But I guess too far to drive to visit in-laws in Chaiyaphum.

My home is just outside Korat, close to Mittraparp Road heading to BKK, had the place since 2002 from new. I wouldn't like to live in the centre of the city as its really busy, but Korat is a big place sprawling in all directions.

There is everything you could ever want really (apart from a beach, etc). Immigration / passport office / first class hospital (which my eldest daughter was just in with contracting Degue Fever - yes Korat has that too in areas ).

Also have a place way up in the hills near Sikhiu, now that is exactly the opposite. So quiet and peaceful.

Korat and its immediate area is quite large.

Personally I don't really like the city centre, its too busy, but some of the surrounding areas are quiet.

My home is just outside Korat, close to Mittraparp Road heading to BKK, had the place since 2002 from new. I wouldn't like to live in the centre of the city as its really busy, but Korat is a big place sprawling in all directions.

There is everything you could ever want really (apart from a beach, etc). Immigration / passport office / first class hospital (which my eldest daughter was just in with contracting Degue Fever - yes Korat has that too in areas ).

Also have a place way up in the hills near Sikhiu, now that is exactly the opposite. So quiet and peaceful.

Korat and its immediate area is quite large.

Personally I don't really like the city centre, its too busy, but some of the surrounding areas are quiet.

Thanks for your info, I dont plan on living in the city but just outside say up to five miles however that is fluid as I have never been there however we will be ther next week so will have more of an idea then.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I have all my own furniture figuring they will burn my bones here so may as well take what I am comfotable with, so far have been lucky as my landlord here has a lot of houses and was willing to take all hi stuff out, anyway will figure this out on my future scouting but would appreciate any feed back.