Eliminate Ants Forever

TongueThaied

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't tell you how many times I have tossed a handful of peanuts into my mouth only to discover I had a mouthful of ants, too.

Ants are nutritious, and you should welcome the change from peanuts with wasabi biggrin.png

The last straw came one morning after I had showered, dressed and jumped into my truck. I was just beginning to pull out when I felt a burning sensation on my balls. First I tried a simple adjustment, thinking I had a little sticker caught n my shorts, but the burning sensation instantly escalated. slammed on the brakes and ripped open my pants only to find that a load of these little bastards had gotten into my underwear drawer and were now biting me on the balls. Over the top this time. I declared war.

sorry cheesy.gif , I'll guess it redefines the meaning of hot-pants. whistling.gif

• Like 2

Not sure where your from. Borax in america is a type of soap. it is the Boron in Borax that kills bugs. They use it in most wood treatment in America.

However note, it's nbot forever. they do come back and need to be treated again. Other chemicals last longer but leave a residue behind that last a long time.

Yes I need this, I bought these yellow ant pellet things you buy in Home Pro. There is a little ant nest in the part of a closed backyard we dont use. They came after the floods and they really piss me off as there in the house.

I sit down watching TV having a nice glass of coke, I put my glass down for 10 minutes and there is ants trying to get in there.

I saw the borax method on youtube a few months ago but could not find any here.

lol at the ants in your underpants.

• Like 1

Yes I need this, I bought these yellow ant pellet things you buy in Home Pro. There is a little ant nest in the part of a closed backyard we dont use. They came after the floods and they really piss me off as there in the house.

I sit down watching TV having a nice glass of coke, I put my glass down for 10 minutes and there is ants trying to get in there.

I take it the pellets didn't work?

Paste as plain text. If correcting just copy and then paste as plain text.

TongueThaied, is the chemical symbol Na4B4O7 (with all the numbers as subscripts)? If not, would you attach the chemical Borax formula that you wrote down and gave to your wife plus, would you also list the location of the 'Science Center'? (GPS coordinates would be even better!) TIA for this important info!

I take it the pellets didn't work?

If you are talking about ARS pellets, I submitted a thread about them about 5 years ago (can't be ARSed to find the thread now). The original ARS pellets were produced in Japan. Then the colour of the sachets changed from yellow to red and the pellets changed colour from yellow to orange. Suddenly the ants in my condo were no longer interested in my orange pellets, but were quite happy to still take the few remaining yellow ones back to their homes. After a few days I was always ant free for about a year with the yellow pellets

The reason: the pellets were now being made in Thailand. The formulation had obviously changed and were literally useless.

similar...they were in the towel.

I dried myself jump into my clothes and went to speak with my staff.....

Very hard to make a straight face while speaking with people while the ants bite you in the balls....

If you know anyone coming over from the UK then it is still available from selected sources as it is banned from the high street stores as a result of the usual EU h&s bull*hit. It seems to be known as Borax Decahydrate or Sodium tetraborate decahydrate. The most reasonably priced I have found is from

http://www.intralabs.co.uk/borax.html The description is as follows;

Borax has been used as a laundry detergent boaster for many years. Its particular chemical properties allow low level production of Hydrogen Peroxide when added to water while at the same time producing a basic solution, both of which increase the cleaning power of detergents.

It can also be used as an insecticide and is effective at riding your home of ants, fleas, cockroaches & other insects. It can be used to make bait balls for large infestations of ants or can be just sprinkled on a carpet to combat a suspected flea problem.

Borax can also be used as flux for welding iron or steel, as a swimming pool buffering agent, as a fire retardant, a treatment for thrush in horses hooves, anti-fungal foot bath, to make putty (by adding Borax solution to PVA glue) and as a buffer in chemical reactions.

Prices range from around 85 baht for a 250 gram pack to around 980 baht equivalent for a 10Kg box. Having someone bring some over may make the search easier.

I remember Borax being used in the Philippines to treat timber against termites and other borers. They also used to "poison" the ground around the perimeter of the house to stop ants and other crawling insects getting into the property.

Very interesting. I might have to give it a try one of these days....if I can find some Borax. Those little yellow pellet things (in the clear green container) doesn't work too well.

Yes, thats what I have.

They are useless. I will find some borax somewhere, I will just have to ask some Thai friends.

But how do you say Borax in Thai?

Very interesting. I might have to give it a try one of these days....if I can find some Borax. Those little yellow pellet things (in the clear green container) doesn't work too well.

Yes, thats what I have.

They are useless. I will find some borax somewhere, I will just have to ask some Thai friends.

I found this site that sells borax http://www.healthfoodthailand.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=borax&x=7&y=7

Yes, thats what I have.

I found this site that sells borax http://www.healthfoo...s=borax&x=7&y=7

Nice find. I will buy myself some of that.

Whenever I think of it, I have friends who are visiting from the US bring me a product called Terro. It is a liquid and comes in a small clear plastic bottle. The active ingredient is ......... Yes, borax. The liquid looks like a fairly thick syrup. A drop or two wherever you see the little pests draws many more and apparently they carry it back to the colony and it kills the queen. It works great but may take a few days and more drops. When the drops attract no more ants, the problem is solved.

• Like 1

similar...they were in the towel.

I dried myself jump into my clothes and went to speak with my staff.....

Very hard to make a straight face while speaking with people while the ants bite you in the balls....

happened to me on a few occasions.

painful

Toungue Thaied, you have missed your calling...........you should be writing novels and short stories, haven't had a good laugh for a

while....many thanks.

Most importantly though, thanks for the info on Borax. We have not been infested to the state of "blacking-out the house", but they are still a nuisance.

Cheers to ripstanley for that website, I have already bookmarked it.

Thanks.

Why doesn't someone tell an expat market like Villa that there IS a demand for Borax in retail stores in Thailand? It's weird that basic and very useful product like Borax is so hard to buy here.

Yeah, weird, and I cannot find regualr cleaning amonia either. They had it at the chemical shop, but too expensive for cleaning.

Why doesn't someone tell an expat market like Villa that there IS a demand for Borax in retail stores in Thailand? It's weird that basic and very useful product like Borax is so hard to buy here.

I have mine delivered by a 20 mule team.
  • Like 1

Paste as plain text. If correcting just copy and then paste as plain text.

TongueThaied, is the chemical symbol Na4B4O7 (with all the numbers as subscripts)? If not, would you attach the chemical Borax formula that you wrote down and gave to your wife plus, would you also list the location of the 'Science Center'? (GPS coordinates would be even better!) TIA for this important info!

Na2B4O7·10H2O or Na2[b4O5(OH)4]·8H2O See, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax

Here are the GPS coordinates for the Science Center (very small sign outside) in Phitsanulok: N16.81920 E100.24555

I tried to upload the .gpx file, but it seems ThaiVisa blocks this sort of file.

You can put the coordinates into your Garmin or Google Maps.

But, let me add, every Muang (large town) should have this sort of shop to supple the local high schools with lab supplies. Ask a chemistry teacher where it is.

Edited by TongueThaied