Marriage

rtaxron1944

Bit of info from the B.Govs web site. :o

Marriage in Thailand should be performed according to Thai law and any detailed questions on the procedure should be addressed to the appropriate Thai authorities.

A religious ceremony on its own is not sufficient.

The documentation to be produced is at the discretion of each individual Registrar.

Most Registrars will be satisfied with an affirmation of freedom to marry.

The marriage will only be recognised under UK law if it is valid under Thai law.

For it to be valid in Thai law, the marriage must be registered with the Registrar at an Amphur Office (District Office).

The Thai marriage certificate will be in Thai only.

You may wish to commission a “sworn translation” of the marriage certificate from a translation bureau, so that you may use the document for legal purposes in the U.K.

Consular Section can arrange for your marriage to be recorded in the U.K.; please ask us for further details if you wish us to do so.

This is not a legal obligation, it is for statistical purposes and if you lose a copy of your certificate only.

Please note that a foreign national does not automatically acquire British nationality through marriage to a British national.

If you are marrying a Thai national, he or she will require a visa to visit or settle in the UK.

Applications for a visa to settle in the United Kingdom should be submitted at least three months in advance of the proposed date of travel. :D

If a British person marries a Thai girl in a Thai Embassy abroad (not LOS) is the marriage legal in the UK?

I have had different views on this, with no definite answers.

I have some doubt whether an embassy is permitted to perform a marriage, whether it even has the blank forms to issue a marriage certificate.

Where did you get the information that a Thai embassy can marry two people?

-------------

Maestro

If a British person marries a Thai girl in a Thai Embassy abroad (not LOS) is the marriage legal in the UK?

I have some doubt whether an embassy is permitted to perform a marriage, whether it even has the blank forms to issue a marriage certificate.

-------------

Maestro

I didn't get the information, I married a Thai girl in the Thai Embassy in Abu Dhabi about 8 years ago.

The reason I asked if it was legal in the UK, is because we have been separated for 8 months and I want to get a divorce, if its necessary.

I didn't get the information, I married a Thai girl in the Thai Embassy in Abu Dhabi about 8 years ago.

The reason I asked if it was legal in the UK, is because we have been separated for 8 months and I want to get a divorce, if its necessary.

I see. This does indeed make it eminently important for you to know whether that ceremony at the Thai embassy got you legally married to the lady under Thai law, UAE law, or any other law.

In Thailand, marriages are registered at the amphur office and husband and wife are each given a marriage certificate. If you haven’t got anymore the paper that the Thai embassy gave you it’s probably going to be difficult to figure out your marital status.

If you’re still on speaking terms with the lady, can you find out if she has a document from that ceremony and get a copy of it?

Did she get a UK passport (if that is your nationality)? I ask because she obviously could have obtained it only with proof of legal marriage to you.

Does she have your family name on her Thai passport and/or her Thai ID card? Again, she would have needed proof of marriage for this.

If the answer is no to all questions, then I should think that the lady would have to prove that she is indeed legally married to you if she wants to make any claim against you.

Anyone else have any idea on this subject? (Wait for Thailand to wake up in the morning)

-------------

Maestro

-------------

Maestro

-------------

Maestro

Any marriage abroad that is recognised as a legal marriage in the country in which it took place is recognised as a legal marriage in the UK. The fact that it was in Abu Dhabi is irrelevant. If you married in the Thai Embassy then as an Embassy is a sovereign territory then I guess you are married under Thai Law... provided that Thai law allows for it. Have to say its news to me and no doubt others you can get married in a Thai Embassy.

The Thai marriage certificate will be in Thai only.

You may wish to commission a “sworn translation” of the marriage certificate from a translation bureau, so that you may use the document for legal purposes in the U.K.

Consular Section can arrange for your marriage to be recorded in the U.K.; please ask us for further details if you wish us to do so.

This is not a legal obligation, it is for statistical purposes and if you lose a copy of your certificate only.

If you lose a copy of your marriage cerificate how does having the marriage recorded in the UK come into it? If you lose a copy then I would have thought you'd go to the Thai Embassy about it.

-------------

Maestro

It's definitely news to me on getting married at the Thai Embassy. I know you can't do that in SG. And I believe you can't do that in many countries.

Maybe because its a Muslim Country and they don't have the "normal" way of getting married which is why they allow the embassies to do the registration. I don't know, just a guess.

There was a Certificate, but as far as a witness, the only person there was the Guy that married us in an a very office type ceremony.

There is no Thai civil "ceremony”. All you are doing is registering a marriage. If you had any sort of “office ceremony” he was just doing it to make you feel better. When we registered our marriage, it was just sign here.

You don't even have to have done the religious ceremony.

TH

-------------

Maestro

It's definitely news to me on getting married at the Thai Embassy. I know you can't do that in SG. And I believe you can't do that in many countries.

Maybe because its a Muslim Country and they don't have the "normal" way of getting married which is why they allow the embassies to do the registration. I don't know, just a guess.

UAE is a case where normal International laws regarding marriage are not in force. Not all International marriages are accepted by Thailand, UK or USA. I have not heard of marriage at the Thai Embassy, but due to UAE's racist marriage laws I no doubt it is possible. More to the point is if the marriage is recognised in UK. If you did not get the legality of the marriage certified at the British Embassy, I doubt it. Normally the Embassy will only recognise Anglican marriages by UK citizens and neither party can be a muslim. Probably this could not happen in your case as your wife is not christian. E-mail the British Embassy in Abu Dhabi, or telephone to confirm.

Having checked my legal records further I have found that permission to marry under Thai Law in an Embassy or Consulate abroad is not unusual. In UAE separate agreements are made with most countries. Therefore if all the requirements have been met for marriage under Thai law and the necessary documents presumably provided by British Embassy, the marriage would be acceptable in UK. You still need to check with British Embassy, however, due to the complexities of marriage in muslim countries.

Having checked my legal records further I have found that permission to marry under Thai Law in an Embassy or Consulate abroad is not unusual. In UAE separate agreements are made with most countries.
Sorry, rtaxron1944, it is beginning to look like you are legally married after all, and that it is recognised under

British law. Seems you’ve got some scrambling around to do.

Try to get of copy of the document issued by the Thai embassy in Abu Dhabi.

Check with the British embassy in Abu Dhabi if your marriage was registered there (although it has been reported time and again that a legal Thai marriage is recognised in the UK even without British embassy registration, but with the special arrangements apparently valid in UAE the Thai embassy may have had to send a record to the British embassy)

Good luck!

I would think that as the marriage was performed at the Thai Embassy, then first you would contact them in Abu Dhabi, and of course somehow (having lived in the UAE I can imagine what hoops you may need to jump through on this) you may need to check with the UAE government to see if it is valid under UAE law.

In order to get divorced, those are the people to talk to - the Thai Embassy in Abu Dhabi, and the UAE authorities, just to be certain what you need to do in their eyes in order to dissolve the marriage.

The fact that it may be recognised in the UK or elsewhere is actually fairly irrelevant as it is the country under whose law you were married, that has to perform the divorce procedures.

I recommend you speak to the Thai Embassy in Abu Dhabi, and also to the local authorities there (or maybe in Bangkok or UK) in case there is any legal obligation under UAE law - as stated above, the laws in the Emirates can be a lot stranger than we may expect - best to check - especially if there is ever a chance you may pass through there again.

in israel u can get married in the thai embassy if u are marrying a thai national thats what they told me when i inquired; whether or not israel recognizes the marriage is an other kettle of fish (we have lots of problems israel doesnt have civil only religious marriages, for civil, most israelis marrying israelis or other non jewish nationals have to go out of country; thailand and cyprus are two favorites for this)...the thai embassy requires a translation of divorce papers etc from me.... also, israel does not allow marriage between two people if one is israeli and one is a foeign worker (work permit like thai foreign workers)... but there is always conflicting info of course (dealing with two third world countries when it comes to beauracracy )

The fact that it may be recognised in the UK or elsewhere is actually fairly irrelevant as it is the country under whose law you were married, that has to perform the divorce procedures.
Are you quite sure about that? I always thought the laws of the country of residence applied.

What say you, lawyers?

-------------

Maestro

Are you quite sure about that? I always thought the laws of the country of residence applied.

What say you, lawyers?

-------------

Maestro

Maestro. You are correct. The wife or husband should file for divorce in country of residence, and it will then be recognised in country where marriage took place.( If International Agreement in place such as Thailand/UK) Subject of course to you residing in a country where divorce is allowed. :o

There was a Certificate, but as far as a witness, the only person there was the Guy that married us in an a very office type ceremony.

That is all you get in Thailand as well.

Unless you count the other people working in Amphur office as "witnesses".

It cannot be called a ceremony in the western sense of marriage.

No promises, or vows, etc

More like signing a contract.

I was also married at the Thai Embassy in Abu Dhabi in a small ceremony witnessed by friends. We were then presented with husband and wife copies of a certificate in English and Thai signed and stamped by the authorizing entity at the embassy. Thus far this certificate has been utilized to obtain 6 month tourist visas for my wife to the UK on three occasions (I'm a US citizen).

For what it's worth...

I was also married at the Thai Embassy in Abu Dhabi in a small ceremony witnessed by friends. We were then presented with husband and wife copies of a certificate in English and Thai signed and stamped by the authorizing entity at the embassy.

For what it's worth...

For all of us reading this thread who may be wondering if rtaxron1944 is legally married, if you have your certificates on hand can you tell us if the English certificates has the words “Marriage Certificate” on it and if the Thai certificate looks anything like the copy I attached to post #7 in this thread?

----------------

Maestro

I was also married at the Thai Embassy in Abu Dhabi in a small ceremony witnessed by friends. We were then presented with husband and wife copies of a certificate in English and Thai signed and stamped by the authorizing entity at the embassy.

For what it's worth...

For all of us reading this thread who may be wondering if rtaxron1944 is legally married, if you have your certificates on hand can you tell us if the English certificates has the words “Marriage Certificate” on it and if the Thai certificate looks anything like the copy I attached to post #7 in this thread?

----------------

Maestro

across the top of an A4 portrait sheet it is printed "CERTIFICATE OF THE REGISTRATION OF MARRIAGE" (in English) with the Thai government seal (the garuda) above.

By the way, this is the document that we use to obtain one year Non-imm. 'O' multi-entry visas from Thai embassies abroad (Abu Dhabi, Penang and Bahrain).

And no...our certificate does not resemble the copy attached to post #7...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

across the top of an A4 portrait sheet it is printed "CERTIFICATE OF THE REGISTRATION OF MARRIAGE" (in English) with the Thai government seal (the garuda) above.
Well, rtaxron1944, it looks like you haven’t been living in sin all these years, after all. Tough luck!

----------------

Maestro

Well, rtaxron1944, it looks like you haven’t been living in sin all these years, after all. Tough luck!

----------------

Hi Maestro,

Looks that way, :o but still waiting to hear from B/E Abu Dhabi, wil keep you informed.