Visa Situation

Hi,

I am currently on a Non-Imm B visa, I got this after converting my tourist visa at the BKK immigration.

I do not have a Work Permit, nor is the application process for it begun yet (as far as Im aware).

I was sponsored (helped) by my current school for this visa. I dont see it having either S or M on it to denote if it is single or multiple. But I think it is single.

I am now leaving this company due to a new job with an international school. The new school tell me they have called their local immigration office who have said that when I leave the old school I must go to see them immediately with a letter from the old school stating that they want to cancel my visa. They say I must then pay them 1900 baht to get a 7 day extension, in which time I am supposed to go to Savannakeht to get a new Non-Imm B visa through my new school.

My old school are also being decent and saying that they will not cancel my old visa, but that when I get a new job I should apply for a new visa with them (they dont know I have new job already).

So..is it necessary in this situaton to go cancel my current Non-imm B visa at immigration with a letter from old school? Or is this immigration trying to make me pay 1900 baht I dont really need to?

If I attempt to leave the country on a Non-imm B visa without a re-entry permit, surely that cancels the visa automatically? Otherwise what is the point of the re-entry permit? Can I leave the country without cancelling it like they say? Or will I be stopped and unable to cross the border?

Is it my visa? Or is the schools? It looks just the same as all the other Non-Imm B visa Ive ever had..so i dont think its an extension, although Im not sure.

I would prefer to leave and do a new visa anyway for the new school to be 100% sure I am legal, but I dont see why I should spend the 1900 baht, plus the time/effort to go 35k to the office and back, all while trying to move to a new school/area, find apartment, etc, if I dont have to!

I have attached a picture of the visa, and the the entry stamp. On top of the left page in the little triangle, it mentions the name of my old school. I dont know if this is significant?

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers

post-120450-0-92564800-1343040452_thumb.

I hink you need to cancel at immirgation, with a letter from your old school stating that you will not be working for them. Then you have the option of leaving the same day or asking for a 7 day extension for 1900 baht. If you can get the paperwork in order (inclusing the work permit) for this new school within those 7 days, you can just apply for a 1 year extension of stay and don't need to leave the country.

So you don't need to take the 7 dayextension, but are advised to cancel your permission to stay.

The visa you got was probably tied to you working for that school, that is why they converted. (But not sure about this situation, in which you converted to a non-immigrant visa but are no yet on a 1 year extension of stay. Never seen that situation and might very well depent on the immigration office).

If you cannot get the a paper from the old school saying that you are no longer with them, it should not be a problem.... I have never been asked over 3 work permits.... otherwise Marios post is your answer.

I would like to know how you got a Non B change from a tourist visa? and I am sure others would like to know also.

Mario, what do you mean "you are advised to cancel your permission to stay"? Do you mean the 7 day permission to stay? Wouldnt that be cancelled anyway whenI got a new visa?

So a visa alone can be tied to my school? It doesnt need a work permit then?

I dont want to go to the border only to be told that I have to get the old visa cancelled in immigration first.

I got the tourist changed to a Non-imm B visa at immigration in BKK. I'm pretty sure they do it quite regularly..it seemed to me like you only needed the same documents you need when youre going out of the country, so it was much easier. And it only took about an hour too!

Have you had a look at my picture? Do you know if what I have is a proper non-imm b visa or an extension of stay tied to my old school?

Im thinking it might just be easier to do the border run and get an entirely new visa, rather than run any risk. But what would happen if I want to delay the border run, say until the end of august? Which is when I need to do my next 90 day stamp anyway. I think that should be ok right? Because the old school are not going to cancel my visa, so it is effectively up to me when I leave/cancel the visa..right?

They also mention about the letter from the old school confirming my contract is cancelled has to be within 7 days of me appearing at the immigration to cancel it...I have headed paper and everything I need from the school to type a letter up myself..I wonder what kind of checks they would do on it..if any?

It appears you were issued that entry visa in the extension of stay process for employment at a specific job so do not believe it can be used for another. I suspect a simple exit and return without a re-entry would suffice as it is not an actual extension of stay but this is a new and special provision to do conversions inside Thailand so no firm information. I would go by what your new school says for you to do.