Long Pinkie Finger Nail Meaning ?

aneliane

I have heard of the status symbol thing...but i thought that was for Chinese women like 100 years ago?

It's doesn't seem to apply here in Thailand. The only people i've seen with a long pinky nail seems to be anything but "high class", in most cases they are tuk-tuk drivers, delivery guys, sexy movie guys at Pantip....doesn't really make sense for them to be making a statement of "I don't need to work"

• 2 weeks later...

Plain and simple it is for ear and nose cleaning ... nothing more deep or meaningful no matter how much one of these folks might claim differently. Just ask any Thai who doesn't have one and you will get a disgusted look as they make clear it is for bodily excavations. Maybe they grow it for good luck but the only good luck they get is if they are out of cotton bots or tissue paper and the good fortune of disgusting many locals who see the nail.

Edited by Nisa

Too funny. I don't know, but I see so many black people both young and old with this. No whites though or Asians over hear with that, just blacks. I thought cocaine or just trying to look pimp. Never asked though. Always thought it strange.

Nisa explanation us disgusting. Haven't they ever heard of a q-tip or tissue.

In case you havn't notice yet, toilet paper is not used here, (they use the infamous bum gun)

so what to do to clear out nose ?

According to my gf observations, thai men found this solution and universally use the pinky finger

while the girls use the pointing finger

Edited by poanoi

its for snorting yaa ice....

In the USA, before it was for snorting coke. Maybe it's a 'style' thing now ?

They must have had really long nails, or excellent coke.

Why not just stick the opened bottle up your nose after using the long nail to get the cap off ?whistling.gif

Bus inspectors often have long thumbnails which they use to punch bus tickets when checking for fare dodgers. Long little fingernails are for good luck.

I dare say that most have no idea as to the origins and could care less. Many males in their upper teens lower twenties who have long nails accept the good luck idea and think it looks cool. Some of them look far too sharp (the nails not the men) to be tools for mining dried snot, they'd end up piercing their noses.

Edited by GarryP

Noticed that many of them are varnished black, or dark color, only serves to cover up the general crap that gets under nails as happens in daily living.

All in all not in my mind something that is attractive. Doesn't endear me to anyone who is sitting digging crap from under it with a toothpicksick.gif

Yes, according to my Thai colleague who has one.

Yet he lets me pick his lottery ticket.......and never wins (my nails are cut at least once a month).

Yeah, he never wins, cause you have short nails, go figure!