What'S Wrong With Thai Youth Today?

hands22

It sickened me watch this.... a vicious attack on a senior citizen by a young guy.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=02c_1342876014

And also this unprovoked attack on a transgender by a rather angelic-looking boy

We have also frequently read news about clashes among local school gangs, young people getting caught or dealing with drugs, etc, etc.

Are the youth in Thai society today getting worse or am I just reading too much from these incidents?

The OP means to ask what's wrong with those particular Thai youths?

Regardless and sickening and cowardly attack.

I'm not sure where to OP got the clip, but I'm guessing if it is current then the attackers won't be long evading justice.

Edited by GuestHouse

I'm always amazed at the tolerance for homosexuals in Thailand.

Unfortunately that scene would not be shocking news at all in the west. Guys dont go walking around in drag for that very reason.

I certainly hope Thailand never loses it's world renown tolerance for people's lifestyles.

• Like 1

Regarding the second video, there has been a rash of videos like that in the US and around the world. Teenagers attack someone, often a stranger, beat them and sometimes rob them (sometimes just attack and run off though), and then post it on the internet.

The posting on the internet part is the baffling part. I mean the teens in this video are going to be identified if it hasn't happened already, it's only been posted 2 days and there are 100,000 views. Why would they post it?

Regarding the second video, there has been a rash of videos like that in the US and around the world. Teenagers attack someone, often a stranger, beat them and sometimes rob them (sometimes just attack and run off though), and then post it on the internet.

The posting on the internet part is the baffling part. I mean the teens in this video are going to be identified if it hasn't happened already, it's only been posted 2 days and there are 100,000 views. Why would they post it?

I didn't watch the video, but i kind of agree with this post..I think they post it so to have a laugh with their friends..

Of course in Thailand they could have more chances to go unpunished..

Young people has always been exaggerate, But i read recently, and i agree, that excess of internet make people stupid, and if you add it to the legit and natural stupidity of the youth..sad.png

Think Plato or Socrates said something along those lines about Greek youth. Jim

And right they were....Everything is going down the hill since Plato and Socrates....

I don't think there's any doubt that the world has become a much more violent and unsafe place in the last 20 years or so. I hitch hiked around Europe, Africa, Central America and the USA in the 70's, don't know if it would be a smart thing to do now.

Edited by giddyup

My wife and well everyone else Thai says that male Thai teenagers are out of control these days. Personally I have no idea. Is Thailand becoming more violent? It does seem that way to me but <deleted> do I know.

The number of murders in Thailand has fallen significantly over the past decade. In 2001 there were ~5200 murders, in 2011 there were ~3,300 murders. The situation is the same in many countries, the murder rate has been falling for decades in the US although it seems like it is more dangerous from watching the news or reading online. What has changed world wide is the internet and the fact that there are cameras everywhere. More murders and more crimes are being reported online, more victims of crimes are talking about their experiences on forums, and more videos of crimes are being posted on youtube and facebook and spread around so everyone can see them. 10 years ago this wasn't happening very much and 20 years ago not at all. So it just seems like things are more out of control these days when they really are not.

• Like 2

My wife and well everyone else Thai says that male Thai teenagers are out of control these days. Personally I have no idea. Is Thailand becoming more violent? It does seem that way to me but <deleted> do I know.

The number of murders in Thailand has fallen significantly over the past decade. In 2001 there were ~5200 murders, in 2011 there were ~3,300 murders. The situation is the same in many countries, the murder rate has been falling for decades in the US although it seems like it is more dangerous from watching the news or reading online. What has changed world wide is the internet and the fact that there are cameras everywhere. More murders and more crimes are being reported online, more victims of crimes are talking about their experiences on forums, and more videos of crimes are being posted on youtube and facebook and spread around so everyone can see them. 10 years ago this wasn't happening very much and 20 years ago not at all. So it just seems like things are more out of control these days when they really are not.

Are you saying the world is a safer place than it was 20-30 years ago? It might be just my perception, but there certainly wasn't the gang and drug related violence, the same levels of terrorism, the lack of respect for authority etc You have children bashing teachers at school now, something I don't recall ever happening 30 years ago. I also don't recall any mass shootings like those in Norway and the USA just recently, other than in war time.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

Are you saying the world is a safer place than it was 20-30 years ago? It might be just my perception, but there certainly wasn't the gang and drug related violence, the same levels of terrorism, the lack of respect for authority etc You have children bashing teachers at school now, something I don't recall ever happening 30 years ago. I also don't recall any mass shootings like those in Norway and the USA just recently, other than in war time.

You had other things like Jim Jones and such, ted bundy, some other serial killers, hijacking of planes and boats. Thing is we always remember the past as a good time also because we were younger then. Crime rates have been going down in many places (though i suspect its also party the police that does not account them all).

Its parly the human brain that remembers things selectively. Like how safe it was in the wild west that they did not have to lock their doors.. but forget about the murders that took place then ect.

I guess it depends on what part of the world you are in. Maybe places like Mexico and Central America are worse because of the drug wars going on. The murder rate in the US is definitely lower than it was 30 years ago though. These mass shootings do seem to be more common, but overall you are still less likely to be murdered. Mass killings did occur 30 years ago though, here is one I found of a guy who killed 21 people at a McDonalds in 1984 http://en.wikipedia....nald's_massacre

Pretty ridiculous thread title. Aren't the older generation EVERYWHERE always asking "What's wrong with today's youth?" There are degenerate young people everywhere....or haven't you noticed what just happened in Aurora, USA? Silly to just tag all Thai youth, knowing full well that most are not that way.

• Like 1

You had other things like Jim Jones and such, ted bundy, some other serial killers, hijacking of planes and boats. Thing is we always remember the past as a good time also because we were younger then. Crime rates have been going down in many places (though i suspect its also party the police that does not account them all).

Its parly the human brain that remembers things selectively. Like how safe it was in the wild west that they did not have to lock their doors.. but forget about the murders that took place then ect.

No one disrespected a teacher or a policeman when I was a kid. You didn't get searched at school to see whether you were carrying a knife or a gun. You could walk or ride your bike home from school without either getting bashed, molested or kidnapped. People left their keys in their cars and no one had a front door key. No one got their car vandalised or stolen, there was no graffiti on your front fence, no one burnt a school to the ground. Statistically it may be safer now, it just doesn't feel it.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 2

I guess it depends on what part of the world you are in. Maybe places like Mexico and Central America are worse because of the drug wars going on. The murder rate in the US is definitely lower than it was 30 years ago though. These mass shootings do seem to be more common, but overall you are still less likely to be murdered. Mass killings did occur 30 years ago though, here is one I found of a guy who killed 21 people at a McDonalds in 1984 http://en.wikipedia....'s_massacre

Of all the countries I mentioned hitch hiking around in the 70's, how many would it be safe to do the same thing today?

No one disrespected a teacher or a policeman when I was a kid. You didn't get searched at school to see whether you were carrying a knife or a gun. You could walk or ride your bike home from school without either getting bashed, molested or kidnapped. People left their keys in their cars and no one had a front door key. No one got their car vandalised or stolen, there was no graffiti on your front fence, no one burnt a school to the ground. Statistically it may be safer now, it just doesn't feel it.

Like i said you were younger then you idolize it. Don't forget you had a much more limited news source then. Now if somone lets a fart ply in the middle east you hear it here. In the 70-80 there were a lot of serial killers, i dont read much about them now. I wonder how safe you really were hitchiking.

Just looked it up .. murders in the Netherlands have declined the last 20 years. Believe me the don't cover something like murder up in the Netherlands. Still most people think there has been more violence.

Violence doesn't necessarily mean murder.

Just looked it up .. murders in the Netherlands have declined the last 20 years. Believe me the don't cover something like murder up in the Netherlands. Still most people think there has been more violence.

Its an indication, a real good one at that.

Its an indication, a real good one at that.

Why is it you choose to ignore all the positive things I mentioned, like no knives or guns at school, no vandalism etc, etc.? These kinds of crime just weren't around when I was growing up. Now they are in abundance.

Edited by giddyup

My (half-Thai) baby daughter is quite mischievous and, with her newborn brother as a sidekick, I fear they will become even more dangerous.

More generally, I think the youth of today are similar to the youth of yesterday (although younger) and the youth of tomorrow (although older).

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

@giddup

I think Ted Bundy got a lot of publicity. That was in the 70's

Una bomber also around that time

Dahlmer

Son of Sam

ect.. i can pretty much garantee you they got media coverage I dont know where you been hiding. Thing is like i said before news is now much more available then before. Things stayed local, there was no internet.

All those people got a lot more publicity in the US than elsewhere, and I haven't been "hiding" anywhere. Let's try and keep it civil.

Thanks an other point for me.. you admit that these things happened but you did not know about it because of no internet. That is the thing we have information overload now. I thought this village that i live in was safe.. untill i heard about the breakins.. had i spoken with more people i had known but i did not. We just see and hear a lot more then before.