Mountain Lion Roars Into App Store

george

Lion roars into app store

DAILY DOT COM - Mountain Lion is almost here. The new Mac operating system arrives in the Mac app store Wednesday. But if you are thinking about upgrading, there are a few things you need to know first.

Not all Macs are eligible for the upgrade. Here’s a look at some of the general requirements from Apple .

- 2GB of memory

- iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)

- OS X v10.6.8 or later

Apple first announced its new operating system in February. Overall, it's aimed at making Mac personal computers work more like iPhones and iPads, plus, there's a tighter integration with online file storage.

It's similar to what Microsoft Corp. is doing with its forthcoming Windows 8 system. That system, to be released Oct. 26, will bring the look and user interface of Windows Phone to PCs.

New features bring better integration with social networks like Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr -- to name a few. For instance, you'll get notifications when you get a message or a mention in a Facebook or Twitter post. You need to sign in only once, and you can share directly from other apps you are using.

Power Nap, a sleep mode, that keeps your Mac updated even while it's in power-saving. It will get your email messages, back up your files and download software updates automatically but will only work with recent MacBook Air computers.

Then, there's a new Messages app, to replace iChat, that allows you to send messages to other Apple users, whether that person is on a Mac or an Apple mobile device.

But perhaps the biggest draw --the software will bring dictation to Macs, essentially allowing the computer to type as you talk.

Mountain Lion will be integrated with iCloud, the download costs $19.99. Remember, to back up your files before you install the new software.

Will you upgrade? Leave your comments below.

If you use buildin webservice, svn or little snitch.

Does not really work on 10.8 (at least not out of the box)

10.8 enforces the "sandboxing" crappy written apps will have serious issues in running.

Maybe piss off some peoples, but in the end it will make things better and more secure

• Like 1

I qualify for a free update - unfortunately Apple seems to have completely botched that process website form is confusing, and I haven't heard back from them. The first batch of update codes didn't work, too.

no uptodate codes for my 2 machines either. How they can botch such as a simple process and over complicate it:

1. Machine serial number tells them everything they need to know

2. Retailer info.

Issue code. Hardly rocket science.

no uptodate codes for my 2 machines either. How they can botch such as a simple process and over complicate it:

They not rolling out all updates at the same time, which makes alot of sense since this would make a shitload of traffic at the same time.

Same is always with ios updates. My iphone 4 always get it first, and the ipad fetch it a few hours - 1 day later.

They not rolling out all updates at the same time, which makes alot of sense since this would make a shitload of traffic at the same time.

Same is always with ios updates. My iphone 4 always get it first, and the ipad fetch it a few hours - 1 day later.

Not the same thing at all. Redeem codes are emailed to the end user then the user redeems the code in the app store to download ML.

Totally different concept to IOS updates. For example there is still nothing to stop those waiting for the uptodate program to go buy $19.99 copy and still put the same strain on the download servers.

Edited by negreanu

The small print says it could "take up to 24 hours" so I guess I'll have to wait until midnight to complain.

I also found out they have country-specific up to date program sites, the main difference being that one can enter the country in the Thailand one, vs the US one assumes USA. Tried to enter another request but at the very end was informed my serial had already been used. Yeah well I know, by me. Sigh.

Almost all new machines are registered with the AppleID on purchase and it seems like for those they'd either only have to ask for the serial, or in fact not have to ask anything at all - the App Store app knows my Apple ID, and my serial number... it could just do it. I guess for all their successes Apple is a hardware company at heart - anything to do with websites, chances are they'll screw it up.

Edited by nikster

On one review site I read the one download can be installed on up to 5 machines. If downloading from the App store on my MBA, how can I then install Mountain Lion on my MBP without paying again? The MBP is my partner's so has different AppleID. Sign it with it, download Mountain Lion for free as it'll know that ID had paid already, then re-sign in using partner's? Any help appreciated.

Noticed the APP store speed today from thailand is very very poor.

US VPN makes it run at full speed again.

Interesting - maybe the co-located line got overloaded. I updated a few of my apps yesterday after ML came out and they started out at 20KB/s ... usually I get 1MB/s... got better later on though.

Edited by nikster

On one review site I read the one download can be installed on up to 5 machines. If downloading from the App store on my MBA, how can I then install Mountain Lion on my MBP without paying again? The MBP is my partner's so has different AppleID. Sign it with it, download Mountain Lion for free as it'll know that ID had paid already, then re-sign in using partner's? Any help appreciated.

Exactly.

You sign in with your appleid, download and install ML, sign out and sign in with your partner's id. May have to sign in with your id when updates are available.

• Like 1

Was still waiting for my code as of yesterday evening.

Emailed Tim Cook told him its a mess. Woke up to the code with a apology email from the exec. relations department smile.png

it was badly handled all round.

Edited by negreanu

I complained about EU prices to Tim Cook recently - very surprised to get a personal response, Steve Jobs never replied to me ;) Anyway I am going to frame this one, and I forgive them for the EU prices, too, I mean he's right almost all of the difference is thanks to the crazy EU VAT rate of 20%...

He's such a nice guy, hard to be mad with him ;)

Nikolaus,

Taxes are decided by the local authorities within each country and we collect and remit them. Other smaller differences are usually associated with cost differences between countries.

Tim

Sent from my iPad

I got my redemption code this morning, worked on the first try. Downloading ML right now, 4GB takes a while...

Edited by nikster

I'm on a replacement mac as the first one had so many probs ... is it possible that the Gods at Apple gave me two Lemons on the trott? I installed ML hoping to fix a few issues, now my Finder has no icons, sometimes I cant navigate, wheel of death rolls on whenever I click something, apps freeze, ... my 'ForceQuit' even freezes...

What's Tim's email? Or should I try Steve?

What's Tim's email? Or should I try Steve?

steve or Tim ends anyway up in the PR Mailbox :P

your machine seems to have something more serious going on .. or just a shitty os installation (i guess the second)

bette make a backup and get the OS straight installed.

i made that as the first beta came out of OSX (in the year 2001 or so) and still running on this very cores ..

unlike in windows (wiping drives and sh%$t) is not required ever, but you need to have the core installation running properly first.

Null, I getcha. But Im talking about two dodgy machines. The first took a year to get rectified... only when the HD and batt died in the same week. Replacement machine has similar bugs... and Im not resource heavy like,... but an i7 with 8gb ...and iphoto needs to spin the wheel for many mins just to boot .... .... chrome lags, bla bla bla .... jeez I dont even use anything resource heavy ...

Maybe mac just hasnt enrolled me in the fanboy program yet ... but Im disappointed, twice over.

So give me that PR mailbox, ...

I paid my money, went to install it and fell at the first hurdle.. "My Partition is not a GUID partition".. waste of bloody money.

Although I really don't know my Mac that well, I use it for Windows also.

I think I messed up my bootcamp somehow.

Steve Jobs replied personally to emails, Tim Cook seems to follow that tradition.

For a broken Mac you will hear back from the pr dept or a customer service rep.

Although from the sounds of it you may just need a new HDD, or re install the OS. Ever lost power unexpectedly?

I have had no problems at allsmile.png . First loaded ML to my old iMac 24 and liked it so got the redeem code for my wife’s recently bought Air. That was another easy install. There are a few unimportant 3rd party things that don’t work yet but usually those come along pretty soon.

Null, I getcha. But Im talking about two dodgy machines. The first took a year to get rectified... only when the HD and batt died in the same week. Replacement machine has similar bugs... and Im not resource heavy like,... but an i7 with 8gb ...and iphoto needs to spin the wheel for many mins just to boot .... .... chrome lags, bla bla bla .... jeez I dont even use anything resource heavy ...

Maybe mac just hasnt enrolled me in the fanboy program yet ... but Im disappointed, twice over.

So give me that PR mailbox, ...

I noticed Iphoto, had an update this morning, so downloaded it, although it is not a program I like using much, but if I remember it was a tie in with ML. Perhaps that will resolve your problem?

Other than that, I have not seen much to complain about.... so far.... wink.png

Has anyone still got the spinning gear when you click "Get Mail"? It is gone now that I upgraded to ML on my MBP.

I really miss it.

Its gone.

Crap :-(

In Mail.app, Go to Window -> Activity to see what it's doing at any given moment. Kind of overkill but if you like progress.

It also tells you when it's downloading messages or sending messages, just show the little activity window in the bottom left corner of the main window

^^ droplr images don't work in TV?? They better, it's the best way by far to share screenshots...

http://d.pr/i/kfXD

Has anyone still got the spinning gear when you click "Get Mail"? It is gone now that I upgraded to ML on my MBP.

I really miss it.

Its gone.

Crap :-(

In Mail.app, Go to Window -> Activity to see what it's doing at any given moment. Kind of overkill but if you like progress.

It also tells you when it's downloading messages or sending messages, just show the little activity window in the bottom left corner of the main window

^^ droplr images don't work in TV?? They better, it's the best way by far to share screenshots...

http://d.pr/i/kfXD

I too use the separate “Activity” window to see what is going on. Makes it easy to stop something if it hangs, as well.thumbsup.gif