Iphone 3Gs 8990B From True

Baa_Mango

Was half way through buying an Iphone 3gs from JAYMART today, which is available for 8990 baht no strings or contracts - when the saleswoman mentions that since I am electing to keep my AIS sim card going that the phone can only use 3G from True network - can use the AIS sim etc fine but not AIS 3G capabilities..

I asked her about unlocking this at a 3rd party shop and she said its not possible.. but if I do buy one and go to pantip / mbk isn't that what unlocking is all about ? So it can use any carrier or service? I am new to the IPHONE game so if anyone can shed light on this that would be great - if not maybe a HTC ONE V is in the works. Thanks.

Actually in a half answer to my question - I belive what she was explaining to me was that AIS 3G is 900mhz while True (and this [version] of ip3gs was /is) 850mhz 3G ! Any one shed some light on that?

Correct. The iPhone 3GS doesn't have the right frequency radio for AIS 3G.

The phone is unlocked, and will work fine on AIS 2G / voice calls / EDGE, but not 3G.

iPhone 4 and up support the AIS 3G frequencies (without looking those up now)

Good price, the Apple store is still on THB 12990, but I've heard the 3GS will come down in price significantly and start competing with the low end Android handsets.

Edited by nikster