Paperwork For Non B Required From School?

Working with brand new Wat, private school. I have experiece working with Non B visas and Work Permits, can understand most Thai and speak Thai but cannot read or write in Thai.

It took the school a few months to get their own paperwork, registering them as a school etc. They are trying to provide the correct documentation for both the Non B visa and W.P. I got a tourist visa one entry while waiting. after having been on a Non B with another school.

I was recently denied the Non B in Vientiane because one of the documents was not correct. This document is suppose to come from the Ministry of Education in my province Kalasin. (and then maybe a waiver of teacher license later from Min. of Ed. in Bkk.) later but for now....What is this mysterious letter that no one can seem to come up with... What is this letter the school and I need to get me the Non B.?

I got a tourist visa/single entry the embassy knew that I was waiting for this paperwork.

What is this letter suppose to say?? That we must employ Mr......because he is a native speaker etc.

I cannot read Thai or would have an idea of what my school must provide to get this letter from the Min. of Ed. in Kalasin. Does anyone know for sure?

Another matter the director of the school asks me for the number of Immigration in Sakhon Nakhon and tells me that he is going to call and ask if they will change my tourist visa to Non B, with out me leaving the country. I told him I did not think that I could, but to call them anyway.........

He has not spoken to me about this for 24 hours now......so I imagine he called and they said no.....

Edited by Colabamumbai

I am not positive about the situation in your area, but we submit the paperwork to the MOE, which includes a copy of your degree and transcript. The MOE writes a letter to the Embassy/consulate where you plan to get the non-immigrant B visa and sends it to the school. When you go to get the visa, they review the letter and the visa is usually forthcoming. I don't know what the letter says exactly, but it basically states that they have reviewed your documents and that you meet the criteria to teach in Thailand and request that a non-immigrant visa be granted.

The letter from the area office should, pretty much, say the same as that from the school.

Go to Savannakhet for the visa.

Concur. The document states the school's name, the teacher's name, the teacher's passport number, the employment period and (not sure) the salary and basically grants permission of being employed, i.e. teaching, at the school.

I'll be back on this one as I'm currently not at home.

Edited by aidenai

I am not positive about the situation in your area, but we submit the paperwork to the MOE, which includes a copy of your degree and transcript. The MOE writes a letter to the Embassy/consulate where you plan to get the non-immigrant B visa and sends it to the school. When you go to get the visa, they review the letter and the visa is usually forthcoming. I don't know what the letter says exactly, but it basically states that they have reviewed your documents and that you meet the criteria to teach in Thailand and request that a non-immigrant visa be granted.

Moe in Kalasin wants to see the Non B visa in the passport before doing anything, which would preclude them writing a letter to the Embassy. They were upset with me 2 weeks ago, when after going thru all the documents and giving me a hand, at the end of it all the woman asked why I did not have the Non B stamped in the passport, only a tourist visa and to go and get the Non B. I thought I might get the receipt at least.

Actually you can change a tourist visa to a non-immigrant B visa in Bangkok. You need to have 21 days left on your permission to stay so that might be a problem. I am sure about this because I did it a few years ago. I am not sure about provincial immigration offices but it might be a good idea to ask there first.

Here's a quote from ajarnforum.net written by Stamp, a long time member and very knowledgeable about this matter.

Required documents are:

• Application form TM. 86
  • Photograph 4 x 6 cm
  • Copy of the applicant’s passport
  • Letter of the Educational Service Area of The Ministry of Education specifying the applicant’s title, monthly salary rate and term of employment
  • Letter of applicant's school requesting the visa change and specifying the applicant’s title, monthly salary rate and term of employment
  • Copy of the applicant's employment contract
  • Copies of the applicant's degree, transcripts and other relevant documents in regards to applicant's education

The fee for the visa change is 2,000 THB and the visa you'll receive is valid for 90 days.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by ttompatz viewpost-right.png

You do need 21 days remaining on your permitted stay to change your status.

It has been reported that the 21 days rule has been waved. Please call Immigration HQ for confirmation.

I was recently denied the Non B in Vientiane because one of the documents was not correct. This document is suppose to come from the Ministry of Education in my province Kalasin. (and then maybe a waiver of teacher license later from Min. of Ed. in Bkk.)

Guess you'll have to go to Sawannakhet WITH a letter from particular educational area. This letter will only confirm what the contract is already saying. Your details, DOB, position, income, name of school, monthly hours etc...

You'll need a contract, degree, transcripts, a map where the school's located and other superficial documents that make you to a real teacher in LOS.

if married your marriage certificate ( don't laugh, some want to have a copy, if so)!.No Non-B, no work permit.

Then the application to the MoE in Bangkok.

I do not know if you need a waiver letter, or teacher's license for a private school. I guess they do want it.

Wish you good luck from lower north-east.

Cheers- -- wai.gif

Edited by sirchai

I asked the school yesterday if they were able to get the letter. "it is a step in the process, you are better off to have a tourist visa." Was the answer I got.

Somedays living in Thailand I wonder is it me or is it them.

The owner of a school and the director cannot seem to understand, or get this letter from the ministry, but cannot tell me why or why not.

Private institutions need to show a good financial backup. It seems that they're not able to get the paperwork sorted out for you.

Which also means no Non-B, no work permit, no tax declaration.

ii I were you, I'd look for another job, just in case something would go wrong. Good luck, whatever decision you'll make.......wai.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update. After two months my girlfriend got on the case, she is a Thai teacher. The Min of Ed, tried 2x to tell the director what was necessary, he is useless.

GF is taking the required docs to Ed. Ministry in Kalasin today. The questioned her about the passport Name Alex _______ and the degrees, certificates, in the name of Alexander _______. They called the school to verify I was the same person. They hassled her also making me get more signatures from the school.

They said that all this was necessary because "To many Nigerians are using false documents, certificates etc" I re-did some passport photos in color so they can see that I am white and my name is surely not from an African country. (some prejudice there).

Then they wanted to know what embassy in what country I was going to take the documents to,, like it is any of their business. Kalasin Area 1, Education Office. Maybe they are going to address the letter to the particular embassy, but I doubt that.

So later today I should have this required letter, to go back to Vientiane to get Non B, and then W.P. after three months working.

And life goes on in Thailand, thanks for all your posts.

I've run into the problem of different names on documents. It can be difficult to get it all sorted out. Usually, if you can show that the birth date for Alex and Alexander are the same, it will help. If your from the US, the degree can be verified through a website rather quickly (there is a small fee). If your from one of the other English speaking countries, it takes a long time.

The letter requesting the granting of the non-immigrant B that is written by the MOE does specify the embassy. We had a teacher who decided to go elsewhere and did not get the non-B as it was written to the wrong embassy.

I've run into the problem of different names on documents. It can be difficult to get it all sorted out. Usually, if you can show that the birth date for Alex and Alexander are the same, it will help. If your from the US, the degree can be verified through a website rather quickly (there is a small fee). If your from one of the other English speaking countries, it takes a long time.

The letter requesting the granting of the non-immigrant B that is written by the MOE does specify the embassy. We had a teacher who decided to go elsewhere and did not get the non-B as it was written to the wrong embassy.

Thanks now and you are correct. Girlfriend got the letter today and she concurs that it does specify what embassy. As I cannot read Thai it can be a problem. The embassy in Vientiane is familiar with my history and knows I am waiting for this document, so I will go there although further than Savannakhet. Sometimes one cannot help but wonder if it is the system, or that your being centered out for whatever reason. The school has been no help whatsoever as I am their first foreign teacher, and as you know they need us more than they want us. I am used to the schools doing all of the documentation.

Good experience and will allow me to advise others. Thanks again.

I found it odd that the MOE wanted to know which embassy I was going to. Previously working for 2 schools, I was never asked that question. Possibly because I am doing the paperwork myself?

Off this topic but... re: Re-entry permits .Get initial 90 days in Laos, then go to Sakhon Nakhon Immigration for extension, with W.P. if I purchase a re-entry permit is it only good for the 90 days, before I get the extension? I may make a trip to Canada before the 90 day period is up.