Farang In Rayong.Many Or Not.

Vegemite

Most of my farang friends here in Rayong Province are living a family lifestyle. Married or living with a Thai lady, sometimes children, choosing Rayong Province as the province has excellent Thai and International schools, adequate shopping and services, good transportation network and doesn't receive flood runoff from the north. Beach living if desired, moderate rent or home purchase cost and for the most part single pricing rather than a double standard. Most friends go about their daily lives seeking only a good quality of life for themselves and family.

What's not to like? Perhaps the heavy industrial areas incorporated into the province, well traveled truck traffic on barely adequate roads leading north towards Pattaya as well as littered beach area's that lack a display of pride. Certainly there's more that you can pick apart, but for the most part Rayong Province holds a pleasant lifestyle.

Excellent post.

Thanks.

(never mind it has some of the highest fatal disease rates in Thailand due to being downwind of the industrial area).

Do you have any more info ion this, QED?

Thanks

Sorry I cannot find it, I saw it on here about 4 years ago which confirmed my decision to move to Ban Chang. Much better town for expats anyway, regardless of disease rates

(never mind it has some of the highest fatal disease rates in Thailand due to being downwind of the industrial area).

Do you have any more info ion this, QED?

Thanks

During the Northern Hemisphere winter months, from November through to March the prevailing wind is the dry cool North-Easterly Monsoon, so it is mostly sea downwind of the Mahtaphut Industrial estate. This turns round 180degrees to South-Westerly during the "summer" months and brings the rain.

Therefore any place due west of Mahtaphut gets very little direct fallout from the industry. Our place is between Banchang and Payoon Beach, and during the first "winter" we lived here full-time three years ago I actually monitored the wind direction on a daily basis for about 3 months. A few days every month we got a South-easterly, which would blow from the Industrial estate across parts of Banchang, but it was only a maximum of 3 days monthly that it turned Easterly, so that it was blowing directly from the chimneys towards us. On a casual observation I wouldn't say the pattern has varied much in the subsequent years.

Whilst possible pollution may be a concern there is little overt evidence in the way of smoke or smells. As a lifelong sufferer from mild chronic asthma I would say my condition has actually improved since retiring here from the South Coast of the UK, and my inhaler usage has dropped. In general I get far fewer colds and chest infections than I did during an English winter, although I did get a severe dose of bronchitis earlier this year, since when I wear a face-mask when I'm riding my bike to avoid deep inhalation of airborne bacteria.

As far as I'm aware, the areas which do suffer above average incidence of respiratory disease are Mahtaphut town and the villages to the immediate north and east of the industrial complex.

Edited by Eff1n2ret