Measures Reinforced To Protect Visitors To Thailand From Crooked Business Operators

webfact

Measures reinforced to protect overseas visitors from fraudulent businesses

BANGKOK, 28 July 2012 (NNT) – The Foreign Ministry has joined the Interior Ministry in mulling measures to help protect overseas visitors from being taken advantage by crooked business operators.

Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul held a meeting with Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Yongyoot Wichaidit on Friday to discuss various measures to ensure the safety of foreign travelers.

The meeting was joined by provincial governors from 10 tourist provinces, including Surat Thani, Phuket, Songkhla, Krabi, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Chonburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Rayong and Trat, as well as representatives from the Tourist Police Division, the Tourism Ministry and the Department of Provincial Administration.

The discussion was initiated after numerous cases of scams and attacks on overseas visitors emerged and made headlines during the first half of this year, hurting the tourism industry significantly.

Mr. Surapong said that the meeting with all related agencies was needed to ensure the safety of tourists, which was also raised during Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra’s recent overseas trips to various countries.

Various ideas were brought up at the meeting, including the installation of more CCTVs, the setting up of a central service center with a hotline service, and the police bicycle patrol units in tourist hot spots.

The Foreign Minister said that there will also be a meeting with executives of leading private hospitals in Thailand, after there have been complaints from Middle Eastern patients about overly-charged treatment fees.

Meanwhile, Mr. Yongyoot stated that the government will ask locals to play a role in providing safety and convenience for foreign visitors, as the tourism industry is a key money-making business for Thailand. He added that the government will hold more meetings with related provincial governors on the issue later.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-07-28 footer_n.gif

More ideas?? In the case of tuk tuk/taxi mafias and jet ski scams why not just arrest and fine the crooked operators?

They are doing it every day, not hard to find them, they are not hiding.

That's what I don't understand, either. Why not just do something? Anything.

Can it really be that hard to arrest these people?

More ideas?? In the case of tuk tuk/taxi mafias and jet ski scams why not just arrest and fine the crooked operators?

Police arresting police & or their families! whistling.gif

"Meanwhile, Mr. Yongyoot stated that the government will ask locals to play a role in providing safety and convenience for foreign visitors, as the tourism industry is a key money-making business for Thailand. He added that the government will hold more meetings with related provincial governors on the issue later."

Read - Land of proscrastination, why put of till tomorrow what you can put off till next year........

Meanwhile, Mr. Yongyoot stated that the government will ask locals to play a role in providing safety and convenience for foreign visitors, as the tourism industry is a key money-making business for Thailand

Translation: I am asking you to treat the people who support you and your family's life with some degree of respect, at least don't screw them too bad, not because that is the right thing to do or because it is the correct way to treat a foreigner who has chosen from all the countries in the world to come here and spend their money, but do it because we need to make money.

I think that just about says it allblink.png

• Like 1

I think the key phrase in this report is 'mulling' which means, i believe, to think about something for a long period of time. They will start the thinking process today and finish their contemplations at some unspecific point in the (distant) futur. The result; the aptly named "five year tourism improvemnet plan", so called as it took five years to.. well you get my drift All the while between the start and finish point of the thought process it will be business as normal.

I love the bit about police bicycle patrols ! Wonder if we'll see three police men on one bike, like we do with the motorcycles. Nevermind, I doubt the police know how to ride a bicycle as they seem to have an almost physcopathic aversion to anything which 1) requires skill and 2) requires effort.

But they could well be sponsored by hello kitty !

Hard? Not really, but that would put quite a dent in their tea money, and THAT is what this is all about and why nothing ever gets done.

The discussion was initiated after numerous cases of scams and attacks on overseas visitors emerged and made headlines during the first half of this year, hurting the tourism industry significantly.

Errr... were we not told by some government spokesperson that all those incidents would have no effect on tourism?

Well....Here goes...

IMHO...if the "authorities" try or attempt to protect "overseas visitors from fraudulent businesses"

then there goes the lovely roast chicken lady I buy a breast or two daily from and there goes

the pubs & bistros I like to frequent. There goes the "scenery" (two legged).....there goes

cheap airfare to northern regions of LOS...there goes that pesky Pakistani tailor shop tout

I'd like to strangle but never have yet done so (he has a purpose, exactly what I don't know),

In fact there goes most of what we love about LOS! I may be wrong in some TV members

opinions but I reckon those overseas visitors should bone up on what LOS is like before

they come here. Then we wouldn't need more government intervention which will only lead to

more corruption.

That would be to arrest many many many more than the operators themself.

Stop complaining at least they have gotten to the talking stage. Thats better than the pass when they didn't even admit they had a problem.The tourist can help themselves as well by wakeing up to these scams before they happen, I know blameing the victim, but they have a responsibility for their safety or is Thailand becoming the next nanny state along side Australia.

A very simple question : In Thailand, double pricing is legal or not ? 15 years here and I still don't know sad.png

A few years ago, the press in Hong Kong revealed that local operators (travel agencies, hotels, ,,,,) were regularly charging Japanese tourists higher price. The government immediately intervened to stop the practice.

What says the legislation in Thailand regarding this matter ?

Well, back in time, goods and price where written with Thai letters and numbers for Thais and Farang who could decipher it. For anyone else there was English too but with a much higher price. I thought that was declared illegal many years back - (at least in Phuket?).

Now there is just one price for Thais and Farang BUT Thais get discount which isn't illegal.

At least, in Laos, Thais have to pay the same higher prices as Farang.

Please fellows-stop whining nor bashing.why we came all to this kind of a country?perhaps the enforcement of the rules and regulations in our home countries was just to tough,isn it.I totally be aware that it is going at the moment out of control,and there have to be something done against the REAL crimes- but please let little somchai-bib,-street vendor,-tuk tuk,- bargirl and all the other little fishes out of the big "crackdown"!

I think the key phrase in this report is 'mulling' which means, i believe, to think about something for a long period of time. They will start the thinking process today and finish their contemplations at some unspecific point in the (distant) futur. The result; the aptly named "five year tourism improvemnet plan", so called as it took five years to.. well you get my drift All the while between the start and finish point of the thought process it will be business as normal.

I love the bit about police bicycle patrols ! Wonder if we'll see three police men on one bike, like we do with the motorcycles. Nevermind, I doubt the police know how to ride a bicycle as they seem to have an almost physcopathic aversion to anything which 1) requires skill and 2) requires effort.

Mulling is a phrase regularly used by the nation. If you have ever dealt with a pooyai in Thailand they don't mull anything.

They speak absolutely and leave

I think the key phrase in this report is 'mulling' which means, i believe, to think about something for a long period of time. They will start the thinking process today ..........

Usualy Thais start thinking only after they implemented,talked or did something.

Well, at least if it's realy, realy, realy neccesary otherwise it's mostly "ไม่เป็นไร" and lets forget about.

Tomorrow never comes, yesterday is long gone and forgotten and today, today we talk and eat noodle soup.

Not much effort required if you handcuff some crooks to the bicycle and each police man,

although the crooks might just run away with the bicycle and hold the cops for ransom.

• Like 2

Well....Here goes...

IMHO...if the "authorities" try or attempt to protect "overseas visitors from fraudulent businesses"

then there goes the lovely roast chicken lady I buy a breast or two daily from and there goes

the pubs & bistros I like to frequent. There goes the "scenery" (two legged).....there goes

cheap airfare to northern regions of LOS...there goes that pesky Pakistani tailor shop tout

I'd like to strangle but never have yet done so (he has a purpose, exactly what I don't know),

In fact there goes most of what we love about LOS! I may be wrong in some TV members

opinions but I reckon those overseas visitors should bone up on what LOS is like before

they come here. Then we wouldn't need more government intervention which will only lead to

more corruption.

Well I kind of agree with you there goes a lot of things that are a part of the tourist industry all over the world.

The way some of these people carry on I think they want to turn Thailand into a nanny state and the tourist industries into all club med resorts. I really don't see a lot of concern for the people who are natives of this country. Just a bunch of whiners looking to see what kind of good deal they can get from The local population. It dosen't matter that many of the people live in poverty conditions. They don't count just the ones who cater to tourists.And it has to be to the advantage of the tourist.

I don't believe for a moment every jet ski operator, tuk tuk driver, and taxi driver in Thailand is out to cheat me. Yes I will admit there are some but how many. A while back I read a article about a jet skier who cheated a tourist. Not one word about the other 100 or so operators just this one tourist who had been cheated. There are enough honest ones to keep people coming back. The problem is the squeaky wheel is the one that get's the greece the others are ignored.

Well....Here goes...

more corruption.

Well I kind of agree with you there goes a lot of things that are a part of the tourist industry all over the world.

The way some of these people carry on I think they want to turn Thailand into a nanny state and the tourist industries into all club med resorts. I really don't see a lot of concern for the people who are natives of this country. Just a bunch of whiners looking to see what kind of good deal they can get from The local population. It dosen't matter that many of the people live in poverty conditions. They don't count just the ones who cater to tourists.And it has to be to the advantage of the tourist.

I don't believe for a moment every jet ski operator, tuk tuk driver, and taxi driver in Thailand is out to cheat me. Yes I will admit there are some but how many. A while back I read a article about a jet skier who cheated a tourist. Not one word about the other 100 or so operators just this one tourist who had been cheated. There are enough honest ones to keep people coming back. The problem is the squeaky wheel is the one that get's the greece the others are ignored.

If you are on holiday with the kids, the only reasonable response is don't go on a jetski, unless i want to drag in the wife.

They are all sheisters. I would love to, she has many cousins, related to coppers all over the country, it is a cross i willingly bear. But argue with a baseball bat because my kids made the glue seep away. Nope, not going there.