F1 Lack Of Coverage

Am I the only one who finds local coverage of Fi rubbish. I am sick and tired of poor coverage, rubbish commentators and then tonight rub the salt in by not covering the advertised qualifying for Hungary. In stead we had a bike ride and judo.

I've tolerated this crap service for so long and I want to find other options. One question is why so many ads, when the ads are only for other programs.

People we're being ripped off and we need to stand up and say, NOT GOOD ENOUGH

Yes, Steve Slater is an idiot, but normally the coverage on Star Sports is ok? Just yesterday no no qualifying, there seems to be an even bigger sporting event going on? The race will be live as usual.

Regarding ads: that battle was lost about 30 years ago, you'll have to live with them.

It was on but not on 109. You had to go look for it on ESPN HD. Steve Slater is a complete tool though but the new commentator put him in his place a few times last night and he just shut up. They have the race on HD but it then switches to 109 for the after race show. Don't know about tonight with the Olympics being on though ?

If you are a F1 fan you have to get the new Truevisions HD box and watch it in HD on ESPN. Fantastic picture and lots of coverage. Only problem is the adverts. What more do you want, better than being there.

Bear in mind that if you are on the "Gold" package you cannot receive ESPN HD !!

If you go to channel 109 and forward the time to 1850 it does show F! coverage but it's more than likely either True or ESPN will make a complete <deleted> up of it !!

If you are a F1 fan you have to get the new Truevisions HD box and watch it in HD on ESPN. Fantastic picture and lots of coverage. Only problem is the adverts. What more do you want, better than being there.

Bear in mind that if you are on the "Gold" package you cannot receive ESPN HD !!

If you go to channel 109 and forward the time to 1850 it does show F! coverage but it's more than likely either True or ESPN will make a complete <deleted> up of it !!

And why would that be likely? So far this season and the last god knows how many years we have been able to watch the F1 on Star Sports via True without any problems whatsoever.

I just download HD versions of the pratice, quali and race from TheBox , much better.

Its not live and I have to avoid seeing the results , but its much better.

I'd do the same but i daren't. Every single time i have watched the race on a delayed basis, somehow news of the results has become known to me, which is bizarre, considering the minimal coverage and interest in F1 in Thailand. And once i know the result, the excitement of the race is totally lost.

Out of interest, how long after the race has finished is the download up, and how long does it take you to download? BBC coverage is fantastic i will say.

SD quali went up @ 2012-07-29 01:58:13 HD (720) @ 2012-07-29 02:35:56 It normally takes about an hour to down load SD and 2 for HD.

I should have it on an RSS feed so its ready the next morning.

• Like 1

And why would that be likely? So far this season and the last god knows how many years we have been able to watch the F1 on Star Sports via True without any problems whatsoever.

Why !! Well last night they used channel 109 for broadcasting Olympic cycling and weightlifting, transferring coverage of F1 qualifying to channel 136 ESPN HD !! That's why !

Hopefully tonight they will show F1 on channel 109 although they have it also advertised on channel 136 ESPN HD.

I also got to watch the Sky coverage this morning but as rixalex says, it's sods law that the result will be shown before we can watch the race!

Why !! Well last night they used channel 109 for broadcasting Olympic cycling and weightlifting, transferring coverage of F1 qualifying to channel 136 ESPN HD !! That's why !

Hopefully tonight they will show F1 on channel 109 although they have it also advertised on channel 136 ESPN HD.

I also got to watch the Sky coverage this morning but as rixalex says, it's sods law that the result will be shown before we can watch the race!

Well, yesterday the qualifying was not scheduled on Star Sports, Olypmpics were, today the race is scheduled on Star Sports. So they are acting exactly according to schedule.

PS: the channel numbers you mention are the numbers as you have them, I and lots of tohers have changed the order so the numbers you mention make sense to you but to lots of others they don't make sense.

PS: the channel numbers you mention are the numbers as you have them, I and lots of tohers have changed the order so the numbers you mention make sense to you but to lots of others they don't make sense.

Getting a bit off topic here, but with the new HD box that i was forced to update to a week or so back, it doesn't allow you to reorder the channels or to skip all of the useless channels, so i am now forced to scan through every one of the two hundred odd channels on the on-screen guide, which is a right royal pain in the arse!

• Like 1

Getting a bit off topic here, but with the new HD box that i was forced to update to a week or so back, it doesn't allow you to reorder the channels or to skip all of the useless channels, so i am now forced to scan through every one of the two hundred odd channels on the on-screen guide, which is a right royal pain in the arse!

I am so glad I changed to another option than True Visions some time ago.

Don't blame you. I've been on the brink many times, but i still think it is hard to find a replacement, especially if Thai subtitles are important to you. What did you change to Steven?

Agree that the functionality of the new box leaves a lot to be desired. However, you can select all the channels you normally watch as favourites, that way you only have to scan through those when looking for something in the guide. No way to change the order of the channels, though.

Sophon

Don't blame you. I've been on the brink many times, but i still think it is hard to find a replacement, especially if Thai subtitles are important to you. What did you change to Steven?

I now have the free to air Thai channels (60 channels) and Astro channels. I'm happy with it.

Agree that the functionality of the new box leaves a lot to be desired. However, you can select all the channels you normally watch as favourites, that way you only have to scan through those when looking for something in the guide. No way to change the order of the channels, though.

Sophon

Yes there is the favourites function but for me i find the whole process of getting favourites up all a bit fiddly and time-consuming. Press the green "genre" button, then arrow key to "favourites"... and if you come out of on-screen guide, back through the same process....

With the advancement in technology, one kind of expects each new model takes a step forward in functionality, but at least as far as True boxes are concerned, i have so many times now found myself being forced to take a step backwards.

F1 live in HD and yet still some find something to moan about! Incredible. huh.png

Plenty!

I decided to check out the live coverage today.

Steve Slater is truly awful.

Why was the audio cutting out every 20 secs? and then a couple of minutes musical accompaniment at lap 35-38?

Lastly and almost beyond their control (they could spec bigger dishes) the heavy rain meant I missed laps 55-67 just glad it came back for the last 2 laps!

My mind is made up! Sky or BBC the next morning for me in future!

Can't believe the last comment , why would you put up with this BS if there is an easy alternative.

Unless True keep their word to give me full Platinum with HD on both my boxes for B1,000 / month they can stick it. Too many viable options out there.

F1 live in HD and yet still some find something to moan about! Incredible. huh.png

Plenty!

I decided to check out the live coverage today.

Steve Slater is truly awful.

Why was the audio cutting out every 20 secs? and then a couple of minutes musical accompaniment at lap 35-38?

Lastly and almost beyond their control (they could spec bigger dishes) the heavy rain meant I missed laps 55-67 just glad it came back for the last 2 laps!

My mind is made up! Sky or BBC the next morning for me in future!

Can't believe the last comment , why would you put up with this BS if there is an easy alternative.

Unless True keep their word to give me full Platinum with HD on both my boxes for B1,000 / month they can stick it. Too many viable options out there.

The sound cut-out was annoying, although it was fine on the regular ESPN channel. Sky or the BBC are not an option for me. I'm just grateful that most sporting events are available on TV here, and the HD option is a huge bonus. Roll on the start of the Primiership.

Yesterdays coverage was one of the worst yet. Commenting on wrong drivers, poor analysis on strategies and wrong or ill informed information. If they don't know what to say say nothing.

I quiet like Alex Yoong. At least he's a real driver

I understand the need for ad breaks. But I don't understand why so many ads which have no commercial value have to be shown at critical times. 99% of ads are for Star or ESPN sports, therefore no commercial value. Then on top of that they bombard the screen with pop up flash ads.

Because we live in Thailand we shouldn't have need to feel lucky to have sports coverage on TV. Thailand is not a 3rd world country and just like elsewhere the consumer has the right to expect good services. This can only be achieved with more competition.

Must be great living in a perfect world.

All I'm doing is sharing my view to other F1 followers. Fortunately I've learnt something new about HD TV.

I'll let you get back on your "holier than though" pedestal.

Yesterdays coverage was one of the worst yet. Commenting on wrong drivers, poor analysis on strategies and wrong or ill informed information. If they don't know what to say say nothing.

I understand the need for ad breaks. But I don't understand why so many ads which have no commercial value have to be shown at critical times. 99% of ads are for Star or ESPN sports, therefore no commercial value. Then on top of that they bombard the screen with pop up flash ads.

Because we live in Thailand we shouldn't have need to feel lucky to have sports coverage on TV. Thailand is not a 3rd world country and just like elsewhere the consumer has the right to expect good services. This can only be achieved with more competition.

I don't disagree with you, But you need to complain to ESPN, which has an American parent company not True!

Must be great living in a perfect world.

All I'm doing is sharing my view to other F1 followers. Fortunately I've learnt something new about HD TV.

I'll let you get back on your "holier than though" pedestal.

Yeah, my world is pretty perfect, thanks!

Yes, as somebody else said, complain to Star Sports.

Agree with you on Steve Slater, he hardly ever gets drivers right, let alone strategies, he misses overtaking, etc. I still remember 4? years ago, Kimi was in WC position and he kept on blabing about the other contenders, and totally missed that Kimi was the one. And things like that happen every race, he just has no overview what is happening at all. Anybody logging in to the real timing of F! online can see exactly what he is missing.

Is it only my impression that the commercial breaks here in Thailand are sometimes extended over the StarSport's breaks with some Thai advertisement for "Car Exec" or similar, sometimes even in English? Until now I did not understand what their product is...

So when finally this stupid additional ads are over, we missed the update from the commentator, sometimes even the replay of important phases.

I wonder if those guys who pay for advertisment during life transmissions realize that the spectators HATE them and would never buy their products, just because these interruptions are so annoying, especially if unduly long.

Edited by dominique355